kr@cker
Bringin' Sexy Back!
+581|6567|Southeastern USA
The problem for most of these maps is the size, you can't hardly line up a long enough run on a target on most maps, since that gimpass throttle control requires you to floor it the whole time, this reason alone is enough to boost the power of the A-10 as it would be balanced by it's susceptibility to AA, since it's also supposed to be fairly slow in RL, though I admit I haven't had much of a chance to practice flying, every time i find an empty server it fills up, I can understand them lowering the .50 cal damage, but it would be nice if you could kill tanks with a tank killer

BTW, the GAU is powerful enough that it actually slows the A-10 when it fires, and yes, the normal loadout is cluster bombs for infantry and light mechs, maybe a couple of laser guided, and the cannon is considered the main weapon
A7ESf
+1|6636|Houston, TX
The A-10 is also the only fixed wing aircraft with an Air to Air Kill of a helicopter using only machine guns. It's not like it would take much from that monster. I have to admit, I do love the sound of the A-10 in game though.
occamsrezr
+7|6732

Lockman wrote:

The bottom of the plane was design to survive belly landings (no landing gear)
Just as an FYI, this is kinda true, the bottom is reinforced but the big thing that's been designed into the plane to allow it to make a good belly landing is the fact that the main gear retract only about 1/3 of the way into the wheel wells so they stick out during flight. 
So, if the pilot needs to make a deadstick landing (no hydraulic pressure) and can't get the gear down when he touches down the main gear will still cushion the bottom of the aircraft.  Assuming that he's landing on tarmac and not an unimproved airstrip. 

But yeah, I love the A-10, if I didn't have asthma I would be flying that fucker.
-r3-anubis
+73|6554|florida
These are the bullets inside an A-10, those are made to take out tanks with ease. Those bullets are bigger than your forearm, i think that can rip through a tank with ease.

https://www.mmrca.org/salute2002/a10_5_640.jpg

Last edited by -r3-anubis (2006-06-11 11:22:08)

spacepelle
Kniven Gaffeln Skeden
+37|6683|Sweden
switchbladezz
+48|6635

spacepelle wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFDu5AmKmhY&search=a10
he used bombs buddy...
??
+32|6616
I was watching the Military channel one time about the A-10 the gun on the A-10 has some much recoil that if u kept firing it , it would bring the jet to a stop and it has like 13000 rounds of ammo to and i think it fires 20mm or 30mm bullets it can take down a tank in a burst of bullets and can withstand alot of damage in DC it was awesome even tho i dont have AF im going to get it soon but anyway ive seen an A-10 up close at an airshow that Cannon is massive its the biggest cannon ever put into a jet and the sound it makes when u shoot the cannon is awesome i heard that the iraqis would surrender when they heard the cannon before it even started to fire they where that afraid hence the nick name "TankBuster"

Last edited by ?? (2006-06-11 17:57:44)

PRiMACORD
+190|6642|Home of the Escalade Herds

?? wrote:

I was watching the Military channel one time about the A-10 the gun on the A-10 has some much recoil that if u kept firing it , it would bring the jet to a stop and it has like 13000 rounds of ammo...
Thats a myth, the gun does not generate enough force to stop the plane. It generates about half the force the engines do, which is a lot but still not enough to stop it. The engines actually kick in to full throttle when you fire the GAU to compensate

It also can't carry 13000 rounds of ammo, it's something like 1100-1400 iirc. It only takes 6 hits to kill a tank. Every 6th round is HE i believe while the main ones are DU....iirc.
Orgtheone
+30|6680|The Dark Side Of The Moon
i know for a fact that te A-10 has only 14 seconds worth of fire but if went through that all at once the gun would melt off
Sydney
2λчиэλ
+783|6861|Reykjavík, Iceland.
The USI A-10 rips a tank to shreds in just a couple a seconds as long as you don't overheat.

(click sig)
thanks_champ
+19|6539
The whole plane was built around the cannon, and it has no trouble destroying a tank in one pass. (It shreds it heh)

For anyone interested, you can dl a documentary on the A10 here:
http://www.torrentspy.com/torrent/26952 … Tankbuster

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard