stinkpackage
+0|6531|Elgin, Scotland
First post here so 1) hello and 2) er, that's it really.

Anyway, I've just upgraded my graphics card to a Leadtek 7600gt (from a vanilla 6600) and all's not well.

Playing BF2, I'm getting a fair bit of juddering and that's in an empty server. It gets worse when there's other players around and explosions etc going on on-screen. Even just firing a rifle causes a pause.

After LOADS of faffing about I've now got the game video settings at medium, AA off (ie, the same as I had with the 6600) and am running the latest nVidia driver (91.31). And it's STILL juddering here and there.

My specs: Pent' 4 3.4Ghz, 1Gb RAM, 300Gb hard drive, Audigy 2zs....

Any help would be MUCH appreciated.

Ta
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6716
did the lag come after upgrade? coz 1gb of ram in bf2 will get ur game laggy, and the 91.31 drivers arnt good imo

try 87.25, they pwn a lot
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
KingMchris
+12|6542|London

stinkpackage wrote:

First post here so 1) hello and 2) er, that's it really.

Anyway, I've just upgraded my graphics card to a Leadtek 7600gt (from a vanilla 6600) and all's not well.

Playing BF2, I'm getting a fair bit of juddering and that's in an empty server. It gets worse when there's other players around and explosions etc going on on-screen. Even just firing a rifle causes a pause.

After LOADS of faffing about I've now got the game video settings at medium, AA off (ie, the same as I had with the 6600) and am running the latest nVidia driver (91.31). And it's STILL juddering here and there.

My specs: Pent' 4 3.4Ghz, 1Gb RAM, 300Gb hard drive, Audigy 2zs....

Any help would be MUCH appreciated.

Ta
Your specs are fine, to be honest it's better than mine as i'm still running on socket A hahaha, but i haven't experienced any of that, my honest opinion is to stick with ATi graphix
have you over clocked your GPU?
-r3-anubis
+73|6537|florida

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

coz 1gb of ram in bf2 will get ur game laggy
Really? Time to get another gig of Ram then.
Friluftshund
I cnat slpel!!!
+54|6713|Norway

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

1gb of ram in bf2 will get ur game laggy
bullshit...

1 GB is fine, 2 is better thats all there is too it..
Are you certain you have enough power to sustain the new card? if it isn't getting enough power it might fuzz about it..
stinkpackage
+0|6531|Elgin, Scotland
To Friluftshund (!!!!) according to the box the card came in, the card requires 300w, which is what I have.

And I'm not certain BF2 does NEED 2 Gb of ram. The game ran absolutely fine with the 6600 (and that was with everything on medium and even a couple of settings on high).

To cyborg_ninja-117, cheers for that, might give it a try.

Oh and it's straight out of the box, not overclocked.
-r3-anubis
+73|6537|florida
With 2 Gigabytes of RAM i can load my game with a bunch of high settings very fast.
Friluftshund
I cnat slpel!!!
+54|6713|Norway
Yes, load game fast - get in before other people, have the chopper all to yourself *yum*

lag however, comes from other stuff..
You don't seem to be experiencing lag however, and my guess is that your card is funky and should be tested in another comp if you can.
Shuddering, or juddering or something like that shouldn't happen, period..

I'm no power-expert, but those in here who are says that it isn't always about how much W you have, but more about wheter or not the PSU can supply a steady amount of power..

I'd get it tested in another system with more power if at all possible..

PS: What's with the !!!! after my nick?
BallisticallyYours
+23|6631|Chicago, IL

-r3-anubis wrote:

With 2 Gigabytes of RAM i can load my game with a bunch of high settings very fast.
Yes, try another gig, alot of the maps are just over a gig, the more ram you have the less your proc and graphics card have to help with basic stuff. 3200 ddr400 low latency like 2.5 or something.
-r3-anubis
+73|6537|florida
My computer uses DDR2 RAM, its alot better than the regular DDR ram.
BallisticallyYours
+23|6631|Chicago, IL

-r3-anubis wrote:

My computer uses DDR2 RAM, its alot better than the regular DDR ram.
What mobo are you using? thats cool, it runs at like twice the normal rate I think.
99Ram2500
+6|6614
To be honest the ram isnt a huge difference.

During troubleshooting my xfi sound, some people suggested its a dual channel ram problem.  They also say that certain xfi problems cause BF2 to run slow, and when its working fine it runs faster.

Well, reguardless to say, everytime i opened up BF2 on a 64 player ghost town map, typed render.drawfps 1, and watched the number on the left, it was usually hanging rihgt around 42 frames per second.

Both w/ 1 gb and 2 gb of ram.

Its not going to make or break your game, its going to be a "few" FPS at most difference.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6716

Friluftshund wrote:

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

bullshit...

Are you certain you have enough power to sustain the new card? if it isn't getting enough power it might fuzz about it..
battlefield 2 is a memory hog, it uses more than a gig of memory... no matter how fast ur cpu and if u have quad SLI, u cant run it smoothly w/ only 1 gb of ram. and im talking about high settings, everything high, 4X AA 8XAF and 1280X1024 resolution
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Friluftshund
I cnat slpel!!!
+54|6713|Norway

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

Friluftshund wrote:

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

bullshit...

battlefield 2 is a memory hog, it uses more than a gig of memory... no matter how fast ur cpu and if u have quad SLI, u cant run it smoothly w/ only 1 gb of ram. and im talking about high settings, everything high, 4X AA 8XAF and 1280X1024 resolution
Well specify that in you original post then! Running BF2 with one gig RAM is no problem...

Last edited by Friluftshund (2006-06-12 01:21:11)

Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6716

Friluftshund wrote:

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

Friluftshund wrote:

bullshit...

Well specify that in you original post then! Running BF2 with one gig RAM is no problem...
my bad but 2gb of ram will increase a couple of frames compared w/ 1 gb
Kurazoo
Pheasant Plucker
+440|6684|West Yorkshire, U.K
Friluftshund u noob toob my mate has 1 gb of RAM and its laggy as. I have two smooth gameplay
el capitan
+11|6530
the extra gig of ram will go a long way. ive played bf2 on 512 mb of ram and a geforce 5200 (yes i know thats below the minumum specs) almost up to 1st sarg., and just got a 6800gs agp and 2 more gigs of ram, and there is a huge difference. before i got 8-16 fps, everything on low or off, and a ton of times  the game  would just stop for a few seconds, , and now I get 50fps with everything at the highest, 1280x800 (i think thats teh resolution), and 4x aa. (yes people max out with 16x aa and 8x aniscroptic filtering or whatever its called, but they didnt pay $300 for their ram, graphics card, and nvsilencer combined did they?).

I would recommend using the latest non-beta driver, and seeing if thats fixes it. If thats not it, get a gig of ram.

Also, are you overclocking the card?
Have you tried the card on another game? Does it work okay then?
Have you reinstalled bf2? (or just reinstall the full (non-incremential) version of 1.3)

Remember, because you don't have that much memory, close all the background tasks on your comp.

and because that dude who was talking about the powersupply prolly knows more about computers than me, how big is you psu?

as far as enough power, the system would crash , so thats prolly not it.  (correct me if im wrong)

Last edited by el capitan (2006-06-12 02:16:49)

Friluftshund
I cnat slpel!!!
+54|6713|Norway

Kurazoo wrote:

Friluftshund u noob toob my mate has 1 gb of RAM and its laggy as. I have two smooth gameplay
Right - which makes you knowledge second-hand, and my first-hand (yeah - you guessed it, i have 1 gig right now)

two days ago I had 2, and do I notice a great difference? no...
Friluftshund
I cnat slpel!!!
+54|6713|Norway

el capitan wrote:

as far as enough power, the system would crash , so thats prolly not it.  (correct me if im wrong)
Wrong - it will first look like this...

Click here to watch Warehouse-Karkand-w/artifacts
Orgtheone
+30|6662|The Dark Side Of The Moon
can i just say I have:

AMD3500 64bit overclocked from 2200MHz - 2618Mhz with an Akaso Evo 33 fan
2x512 kingston ddr400
GF6800GT

yes that 1gig of ram & i dont get no lag what so ever i have all my graphics on high i join everygame fast im always one of the first people in and get 90-100fps on every single map

having just one gig of ram will suck is just a myth just all to do system stability & how good your brain is
and another point is if you alt-tab out to windows (doing this also uses more ram) and check task manager you will see about 850mb is being used so how can only having 1gig not to be enough.

i know people may have issues with having 1gig but all im saying is i don't
Friluftshund
I cnat slpel!!!
+54|6713|Norway

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

Friluftshund wrote:

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

my bad but 2gb of ram will increase a couple of frames compared w/ 1 gb
Sure, but you'll only really see the benefit when it comes to lading time. two days ago I had two gigs and was in way before my mates and in my favourite vehicle while they were still scratching their balls at "verifying..."
Now i took one out to resolve some BSOD-issues and lo and behold, they'r off before I'm finished scratching..
ssonrats
+221|6645

Friluftshund wrote:

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

Friluftshund wrote:

bullshit...

Yes it is! I can't run 64 player maps with 1 gig too well(im talking 30fps), especially the city maps, i have to stoop down to lows and med's.

Last edited by ssonrats (2006-06-12 03:12:17)

Friluftshund
I cnat slpel!!!
+54|6713|Norway

ssonrats wrote:

Yes it is! I can't run 64 player maps with 1 gig too well(im talking 30fps), especially the city maps, i have to stoop down to lows and med's.
The next time you watch a movie with an actor running through explosions and bullets and fire and shit, remember you're seeing shit at 30fps max

Again, running BF2 on low/med is still running BF2 right?

Thus: Running BF2 on 1 gig is fine...

I never said it was perfect or the best solution, that would be something other than windows..
wrangler
Banned
+7|6529
X1900X owns all in fps and price
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6716

wrangler wrote:

X1900X owns all in fps and price
no...

7900gt is the most bang for the buck right now, i know 1900xt is better but... 7900gt is better in price/performance ratio

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard