ZkylonB
+36|6567
It's not that hot out here, should i try sticking a fan by the computer?

Taking the case off?
the_outsider38
Microsoft Poster Child
+83|6713|Vancouver BC Canada

ZkylonB wrote:

It's not that hot out here, should i try sticking a fan by the computer?

Taking the case off?
Find the temp first, if you can. I think the Nvidia Chipsets have theres readily availible in there settings. Taking the case off is usualy a no no because the fans work on air draw, not push. It may be worth a try, if your PC has few fans. Is the exaust out the back fairly warm? Is it dusty? My PC puts out over 37C air at idle and more while playing BF2.

G'night be back tomorrow...

Last edited by the_outsider38 (2006-06-08 00:07:06)

ZkylonB
+36|6567
And how come it started to do this now, it didn't do it for like a month and a half....

alright peace

Last edited by ZkylonB (2006-06-08 00:08:11)

ZkylonB
+36|6567
They couldn't of upped the requiments that much.

... right?
ZkylonB
+36|6567
http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/3200/omg0ey.jpg

Well in this pic i noticed the one fan is working harder than the other...

http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/1909/hfdggfd3el.jpg

I think the flame means burning up?

http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/3185 … wtf5zk.jpg

No idea what that means?

Anyone help?

Last edited by ZkylonB (2006-06-08 00:41:54)

vanmani
Unintentionally Verbose
+26|6610|Australia
Those temperatures are ok for some types of hardware, not for others. e.g. amd64s run colder than athlon xp's. Your manual for your mobo/cpu should tell you what normal ranges are for them. It never hurts to apply some new thermal paste between your heatsink/cpu heatsink/gpu if you think you're having some problems, though.

Regardless, if something's overheating you would normally crash the entire system and it would normally be the "lock up" style crash where nothing moves at all, not just back to desktop. Although it is possible I suppose.

I understand that if you run bf2 in windowed mode (as in, not full screen, there is a flag you can add to your bf2 shortcut to do this) then when it crashes you will actually get to SEE the error message that it produces.

Odds on, this error message is gonna be something stupid like "Oops! That memory shouldn't have been there!" or somesuch other rubbish. Doesn't tell you a lot, really, despite what people who think they know what they're talking about might tell you.

If the RAM's not new, and you haven't had problems with it before, it's UNLIKELY that it's gone bad, but it CAN happen. Similarly the problem could lie in your motherboard or CPU. Things do go wrong periodically, hardware doesn't last forever.

And it takes ages to figure out exactly where the problem lies, as you have to test everything individually, and after you've eliminated everything you can and come to naught, you're betting it's either the mobo or CPU.

I know I'm not helping much. Basically I'm just saying "somethings things get old and die", which is never easy to accept... Question is, which thing? So you know what to replace. Testing is the only way.
ZkylonB
+36|6567

vanmani wrote:

Those temperatures are ok for some types of hardware, not for others. e.g. amd64s run colder than athlon xp's. Your manual for your mobo/cpu should tell you what normal ranges are for them. It never hurts to apply some new thermal paste between your heatsink/cpu heatsink/gpu if you think you're having some problems, though.

Regardless, if something's overheating you would normally crash the entire system and it would normally be the "lock up" style crash where nothing moves at all, not just back to desktop. Although it is possible I suppose.

I understand that if you run bf2 in windowed mode (as in, not full screen, there is a flag you can add to your bf2 shortcut to do this) then when it crashes you will actually get to SEE the error message that it produces.

Odds on, this error message is gonna be something stupid like "Oops! That memory shouldn't have been there!" or somesuch other rubbish. Doesn't tell you a lot, really, despite what people who think they know what they're talking about might tell you.

If the RAM's not new, and you haven't had problems with it before, it's UNLIKELY that it's gone bad, but it CAN happen. Similarly the problem could lie in your motherboard or CPU. Things do go wrong periodically, hardware doesn't last forever.

And it takes ages to figure out exactly where the problem lies, as you have to test everything individually, and after you've eliminated everything you can and come to naught, you're betting it's either the mobo or CPU.

I know I'm not helping much. Basically I'm just saying "somethings things get old and die", which is never easy to accept... Question is, which thing? So you know what to replace. Testing is the only way.
I can run css and on high will full anti alising, hdr and full bloom.

Helluva alot better looking then bf2 on high.

But i NEVER get any crashing what so ever.

My ram is fairly new.

My machine it self is pretty old.

With updated ram and video card.

buying anything to help is out of the question is there anything i can do to make this problem go away?
ZkylonB
+36|6567
Guys i think im gonna hit the sack, its 3 am and i give up.

Guess i'm never gonna play battlefield 2 again... * sigh*

I'm gonna see how far my temp goes up when im playing bf2, then bed.

Good night all!

thanks for all the help!!1
ZkylonB
+36|6567
teh bump
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6686

ZkylonB wrote:

teh bump
Try using only 512MB Ram.   Lower sound to software at it's lowest setting.  Turn off VOIP.  Lower your graphic settings.  Try to reduce resources as much as you can until it works.  Then work your way back, upping different settings.
ZkylonB
+36|6567
k how do i turn off voip? , and i'll take out my 256 ram stick right now.

last night i played for like 30-45 mins before the crash.

sometimes it doesnt do it, sometimes it does.

Not sure if its a heat related issue or not anymore.

Last edited by ZkylonB (2006-06-08 14:40:40)

Point&Shoot
Tank Whore
+52|6566|Canada

ZkylonB wrote:

And its not ram because my 256 ram is 2700 speed and my 512 is 3200 speed.

The slower ram clocks the higher ram down.

So my 512 stick is running at 2700 speed.
Ouch man, that's just not groovy, can you dig it?

Having ram the same size isn't crucial but not having the same speed is just asking for problems.
ZkylonB
+36|6567
Im going to buy a new power supply tommorow.

Because my comp temp goes up to like 70 while i play bf2.
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6686

ZkylonB wrote:

k how do i turn off voip?
I believe it's a checkbox on the Audio tab.
ZkylonB
+36|6567

Ilocano wrote:

ZkylonB wrote:

k how do i turn off voip?
I believe it's a checkbox on the Audio tab.
Ty.
Stomper_40k
Re-Incarnation. You mean re-spawn right?
+44|6664|Cardiff - Wales - UK
This is what I did and it hasn't crashed since:

I deleted the "Battlefield 2" folder in "my documents" and it hasn't crashed since.  The problem is with your profiles in that folder.

Once you've deleted the Battlefield 2 folder in "my documents" retrieve your account from EA when you log in and problem solved (you'll have to re-map your keys again if you changed them though as they go back to the default).

Try this out
ZkylonB
+36|6567

Stomper_40k wrote:

This is what I did and it hasn't crashed since:

I deleted the "Battlefield 2" folder in "my documents" and it hasn't crashed since.  The problem is with your profiles in that folder.

Once you've deleted the Battlefield 2 folder in "my documents" retrieve your account from EA when you log in and problem solved (you'll have to re-map your keys again if you changed them though as they go back to the default).

Try this out
all welshman like myself.

anyways i will try this out.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard