Lt.Garbo
Commander God
+41|6677|Denver, CO
Hell all!

I recently posted information about a fix for the Crashing to Desktop when clicking the "Join Game" button.  After months of research, I have discovered that the problem ISN'T EA or BF2 OR the Patches -- it's Windows.

BF2, as we all know, is a game that uses a LOT of system resources - Memory, Processing Power, AND...... Internet/Network bandwidth!  It is the latter of these three (bandwidth) that, with Windows Service Pack 2 installed, is causing BF2 to exit to the desktop.

In a nutshell, Microsoft decided that they would limit (for security reasons) the amount of network traffic being sent from your comupter.  Their justicifation was to minimize the amount of possible viruses/warms being transmitted from infected computers.  Below is a link that has more information on this issue.
You can even download a program to fix this issue -- it has worked for me after everything else failed!

http://www.speedguide.net/read_articles.php?id=1497

Enjoy!
Tushers
Noctwisaskfirtush
+224|6706|Some where huntin in Wisconsin
noice!
+1
I~Love~Mysti
+23|6604
Can you give us a direct download link?
lukeiamnotyourfather
Joe's Crematorium, You Kill'em, We Grill'em!
+37|6697
Sticky it maybe???
lukeiamnotyourfather
Joe's Crematorium, You Kill'em, We Grill'em!
+37|6697

I~Love~Mysti wrote:

Keep reading, theres something to download and run, but turn off virus scanners, etc.
Lt.Garbo
Commander God
+41|6677|Denver, CO

I~Love~Mysti wrote:

http://www.lvllord.de/download.php?url= … 23d-en.zip
SunTzu
Playdough! Nope C4...
+6|6744|Toronto, ON, CAN
Garbo,
Not saying that I am doubting your research, but I have a question though. How could this be XP, when it hasn't had these issues ever before the 1.3 patch for most of us?

I only started to recieve CTD after downloading 1.3, and not when using 1.22 or earlier. I didn't check to see if there is a higher bandwidth throughput from 1.22 to 1.3 (I didn't think to look at this before 1.3).

Not to say I won't download and test this file out, but I will probably test it on a "secured" computer first. One that is seperated from the rest of my network. The "disable your virus / ad scanners because they'll be screaming at you" tends to make you a little nervous.
oakdale
+0|6623
I'm running Win2K and I have this problem too. Does anyone know of a fix for 2K users, or can I use the file listed above?
ZkylonB
+36|6569

SunTzu wrote:

Garbo,
Not saying that I am doubting your research, but I have a question though. How could this be XP, when it hasn't had these issues ever before the 1.3 patch for most of us?

I only started to recieve CTD after downloading 1.3, and not when using 1.22 or earlier. I didn't check to see if there is a higher bandwidth throughput from 1.22 to 1.3 (I didn't think to look at this before 1.3).

Not to say I won't download and test this file out, but I will probably test it on a "secured" computer first. One that is seperated from the rest of my network. The "disable your virus / ad scanners because they'll be screaming at you" tends to make you a little nervous.
Maybe the 1.3 patch made it so you connect to the server more.

So you'll get less lag.

just an idea.
Hacial
404 - Not Found
+107|6640
Is this safe?
Maj.Do
+85|6773|good old CA
hmmm, im not gonna try it : / , might screw something up here : (
ZkylonB
+36|6569
Are you on an admin account^^

Maybe you cant edit windows files?
xixspyder
AnthraX
+25|6594
yes I am, it worked. I had to do it twice. It Is Manditory that u RESTART ur pc so this takes affect. recommended immediatly. Now to try the game for 2 + hours.

Crashed after 30 mins of play is there something I have to do like change it to 50 or 100 I don't know

Last edited by xixspyder (2006-06-08 00:02:02)

ZkylonB
+36|6569
Do you think this would help random crashes in game?
tupla_s
+455|6613|Finland
Thanks I'll try that when I get back to home
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6588|NYC / Hamburg

nice +1

a reformat did the trick for me though
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
redfoxster
Chopper Whore Extraordinaire
+3|6794
Works great for me, much more stable in BF, though time will tell, but i noticed BitCommet, my torrent downloader shot up a good bit on speeds almost immediately.
jimmanycricket
EBC Member
+56|6676|Cambridge, England
i was wondering why i havnt crashed to desktop yet, i still use vanilla xp.
[FHF]MattyZ
What the Deuce?
+29|6683|Washington
I'll wait for a few more people to try this, maybe Boris too.  Then I will try it.
jimmanycricket
EBC Member
+56|6676|Cambridge, England
i was wondering why i havnt crashed to desktop yet, i still use vanilla xp.
btw here is link
http://www.lvllord.de/download.php?url= … 23d-en.zip
davblos
+4|6760|Melb, Australia
tried it hopefully,  bitterly dissapointed.

Crashed 3 times straight on join game.

Keep looking though . . .
LeeVing
+4|6593
didn't work for me...I still have crashes once i join a server, before I can select a spawn point.

takes about 3 tries to get into a game.
Nikola Bathory
Karkand T-90 0wnage
+163|6807|Bulgaria

Lt.Garbo wrote:

Hell all!
with Windows Service Pack 2 installed, is causing BF2 to exit to the desktop.
That is wrong! I have Windows XP SP1 (SP1, not 2!!) and sometimes the game crashes to desktop!
Lt.Garbo
Commander God
+41|6677|Denver, CO

Nikola Bathory wrote:

Lt.Garbo wrote:

Hell all!
with Windows Service Pack 2 installed, is causing BF2 to exit to the desktop.
That is wrong! I have Windows XP SP1 (SP1, not 2!!) and sometimes the game crashes to desktop!
Try it anyway...  who knows?  Perhaps the Service Pack thingy isn't relevent.
graag
+7|6697
Only Windows XP SP2 has half-open connection limit "feature" implemented, others don't.

But yeah, it really looks like a possible cause for some of the crashes.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard