Tyshalle83
+1|6768|Raleigh, NC
I've been reading a lot of posts as I'm trying to get acquainted with these forums and the whole BF2 community scene, and I've read about several people getting pissed off over dropping a bomb, killing several enemies and one friendly, and then the friendly  punishes you. Now, I'll admit, I'm somewhat of a n00b, but it seems to me that if you kill a friendly that is any way other than 100% their fault, you lose your rights to bitch about getting punished for the teamkill.

If you're flying in your jet, and you drop a bomb on an enemy tank, inside an enemy base, where a friendly special forces guy is trying to take the place, and you kill everybody, yeah, you probably did good. You may have even done more good than the friendly player could/would have done, and you may not have even seen the friendly guy when you dropped the bomb. But you still dropped your payload without being absolutely certain you weren't going to kill anyone. Collateral damage. Maybe even acceptable losses, but your teammate was still there, trying to do something, maybe he even had a plan, and you took that away from him. If he looks at the scoreboard and sees that yeah, you killed him, but you also took out 5 other guys and saved the base, he might not punish you. He might not care. But then again, he might still be pissed.

I can't think of how many times I've been running around the game for like 5+ minutes as a special forces guy or a sniper, slowly trying to find the perfect spot to snipe from, or waiting in anticipation for the tank to make a stupid mistake and get too close to me where I can toss a charge of C4 on his tracks, only to be killed by a teammate. That stuff sucks. It's my game too, and if I'm pissed off enough to punish you, then you really have no bitching rights. It doesn't matter that you had good reason to kill me, or that you had a plan, I had a plan too, or someone else had a plan, and you ruined it, so accept the mild penalty of being "punished." Big damn deal.

My philosophy on punishment is this: If it was my fault, if I was trying to get inside a friendly tank being driven by a teammate, and I jump in front of it while it's driving and he runs my ass over, then I was a moron and I don't punish. If someone puts a land mine on the ground and I run over it, then I was a moron and I don't punish. If my commander is about to drop artillary, and it's marked on my map, but I go ahead and rush over there anywhere and get killed, I don't punish. But if I'm taking out some opponents, even hopelessly outmatched in close quarters combat, and some teammate of mine tosses a grenade over at us and kills 4 enemies and me, then that bastard should have waited a minute, and I punish him. If a plane drops a bomb on me, I punish. If a friendly tank fires at another tank that I'm standing next to, trying to plant C4 and I get killed because of it, I punish.

I use my discression, of course, and nothing is set in stone. But I truly believe that if you are willing to teamkill, even for a GOOD reason, then you should be willing to accept punishment should your victim punish you. Obviously if you're in a plane and someone jumps in front of you, forcing you to teamkill, then that person is a bastard, and even searching around to drop a bomb on that silly bastard again just to let him know that you hate his pathetic slimy ass guts, that's fine. But when you do kill him on purpose the second time, accept that you're going to be punished again.

I never initiate votes to kick someone however, and I only vote to kick someone or mutiny against someone if I have a good reason to.

That's just my two cents worth.
thinner44
+1|6825

Tyshalle83 wrote:

That's just my two cents worth.
That's a mighty big 'two cents worth' j/k . I agree with your philosophy and apply it to my own gaming experience.
ronin1942
+-1|6859
ive given up on complaning about being punished if i tk in the prosses of taking out a tank or clearing a flag for my team to take. I dont care im doing what i need to do for my team to win same goes for car bombing i will gladly kill myself to take out a tank/chopper/jet or whatever else is stoping my team from winning....sorry if i tk you in the future.
MatRx9
Carpe Noctem
+1|6809

ronin1942 wrote:

ive given up on complaning about being punished if i tk in the prosses of taking out a tank or clearing a flag for my team to take. I dont care im doing what i need to do for my team to win same goes for car bombing i will gladly kill myself to take out a tank/chopper/jet or whatever else is stoping my team from winning....sorry if i tk you in the future.
Agree.  While I think anyone that punishes for anything other than a blatant, unpurpose TK is an idiot.  I've come to accept that most people are idiots and I expect to be punished.
[1stSSF]=Nuka=
Banned
+23|6765|PDX Metro Area, OR, US, SOL
So, I agree with you mostly, but I've become a bit of a jerk, too. I can't tell you how often a numb-nuts runs in front of my tank/Humvee/buggy/airplane (going at full bore) and punishes me. If folks on a given server are cool, I'll be cool; if folks are asshats, then I'm gonna respond in kind. I've even been kicked because a person intentionally sought me out and ran in front of my rig repeatedly just to be an asshat. Great admin there, too...I don't worry about that server anymore.

If I'm capping a flag and a bomber bombs a bunch and accidentally gets me, I'm generally OK with it: no punish...it happens. OTOH, if I'm capping a flag and the stupid commander chooses to arty AFTER I'm already capping, I WISH TO GOD they would still get nailed. Lately I've had more deaths from commanders using arty on me after I've already neutralized than I can count. I just want to throttle them. Similarly, if I've got the position neutralized and my guy bombs me, he's in for a rude response.

I love the team-play aspects of BF2, but it simply amazes me how many lone wolf types don't get it. If I'm lone-wolf, it's because I was switched or because I simply forgot after spawning into a firefight. If you are a team player, cool. If you do something stupid because you are NOT a team player, you deserve what you get and you should have no rights to punish for your own stupidity.

I wish there was a simple programmatic method to identify stupid people and their behavior and punish them for taking up our oxygen and nutrients...

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard