Yes.35%35% - 35
No.39%39% - 39
Yours is; ours is justified patriotism.26%26% - 26
Total: 100
=OBS= EstebanRey
+256|6560|Oxford, England, UK, EU, Earth

kr@cker wrote:

To Esteban:

Politically correct pussywhipisms. I'm not bashing on you, it's just that we have all been victims of a massive campaign to pussify the planet by people who got their lunch money stolen from them in school and pantsed on the playground, they pick some degree where all you have to do is kiss the ass of a professor tha was treated the same way, became something like a reporter, and used wordsmithing to make everyone believe that we have to spend our lifetime catering to pussies. Think about it, if some dirty hippy saw me say "I'm ______ being white" they would think that I meant "I'm ______ I'm not black", insert any adjective you want, proud, happy, glad, ecstatic, orgasmic, aroused, none are ethically wrong in the first statement, but it often gets confused in the second.
I hate Political Correctness too!  But that was my point, saying you're proud to be white is as bad saying you're proud to be black but the PC brigade step in and stop anyone critisising ethnic minorities no matter how racist their statements are.  For example, have you heard of the MOBO awards over here (Music Of Black Origin), there would be uproar if we had a MOWO awards.

Furthermore, and tying in with Schuss' point, we have the PC brigade now trying to tell us we can't fly the England flag in public during the World Cup in case it upsets ethnic minority groups, how bad is that!  (It'll never work though they're already all over the place).

And Schuss are you getting the same reports over there as we are about what England Fans can and can't do in Germany this year?  If they imitate Jon Cleese's 'goosestep' they will be arrested and certain England chants will also be banned like "Two World Wars and One World Cup", the Damn Busters theme and the Great Escape Theme.  Germany seems like a country still not able to take a light hearted view on the war......
kr@cker
Bringin' Sexy Back!
+581|6559|Southeastern USA
perhaps the goosestep and the chant is a lil much...........
I can't exactly think of a good US/UK correlation, maybe the "Don't Tread On Me" flag, but that was a couple hundred years ago, no one would get the reference.
Some things like the goosestep are banned for the same reason the swastika (originally a zen buddhist symbol, Adolf just thought it was neat) and other things were, as part of Germany's distancing itself from Naziism, and I think maybe part of the original surrender agreement, of all involved I wouldn't expect Germany, the Jews, or Japan to have a lighthearted view just yet, though I see what you're saying, maybe it's time for a German to start making fun of Hitler

Just remember that footy hooligans are exactly that, hooligans, we've already seen pics of soccer stadiums with "yanks go home" banners, I don't take it personal, just the spirit of "us versus them" competition.  When the matches are over everyone ends up at the pub getting pissed, not giving a shite.
B.Schuss
I'm back, baby... ( sort of )
+664|6850|Cologne, Germany

=OBS= EstebanRey wrote:

kr@cker wrote:

To Esteban:

Politically correct pussywhipisms. I'm not bashing on you, it's just that we have all been victims of a massive campaign to pussify the planet by people who got their lunch money stolen from them in school and pantsed on the playground, they pick some degree where all you have to do is kiss the ass of a professor tha was treated the same way, became something like a reporter, and used wordsmithing to make everyone believe that we have to spend our lifetime catering to pussies. Think about it, if some dirty hippy saw me say "I'm ______ being white" they would think that I meant "I'm ______ I'm not black", insert any adjective you want, proud, happy, glad, ecstatic, orgasmic, aroused, none are ethically wrong in the first statement, but it often gets confused in the second.
I hate Political Correctness too!  But that was my point, saying you're proud to be white is as bad saying you're proud to be black but the PC brigade step in and stop anyone critisising ethnic minorities no matter how racist their statements are.  For example, have you heard of the MOBO awards over here (Music Of Black Origin), there would be uproar if we had a MOWO awards.

Furthermore, and tying in with Schuss' point, we have the PC brigade now trying to tell us we can't fly the England flag in public during the World Cup in case it upsets ethnic minority groups, how bad is that!  (It'll never work though they're already all over the place).

And Schuss are you getting the same reports over there as we are about what England Fans can and can't do in Germany this year?  If they imitate Jon Cleese's 'goosestep' they will be arrested and certain England chants will also be banned like "Two World Wars and One World Cup", the Damn Busters theme and the Great Escape Theme.  Germany seems like a country still not able to take a light hearted view on the war......
well, I don't know about any flag or chant restrictions for english fans, but I live in Cologne, so I am going to find out eventually...

It remains difficult to take a light hearted view on the war, but I guess that's the case on both sides. too many lifes have been lost, too much pain and suffering on both sides. And even today, there are young people who are not willing to forget and forgive.
I wonder what a standard british history class on WWII is like. How are germans portrayed in your country ?

Sometimes I get the feeling we are trying so desperately hard to distance ourselves from our past that it hampers our ability to live life to the fullest today.
=OBS= EstebanRey
+256|6560|Oxford, England, UK, EU, Earth

kr@cker wrote:

Just remember that footy hooligans are exactly that, hooligans, we've already seen pics of soccer stadiums with "yanks go home" banners, I don't take it personal, just the spirit of "us versus them" competition.  When the matches are over everyone ends up at the pub getting pissed, not giving a shite.
Woah there no one mentioned hooligans.  The chants I mentioned are very light hearted and joking and have nothing to do with hooliganism.
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6653
https://www.gadsden.info/i/gadsden-2.gif
atlvolunteer
PKMMMMMMMMMM
+27|6781|Atlanta, GA USA

=OBS= EstebanRey wrote:

The problem with that is what exactly are you proud of?  If you think about it when you say something like that in that context you are actually saying I am proud of "the effort" my kids put in even though they lost.  You wouldn't say you were proud of the loss itself, agreed?  Thus you are proud of a positive (their hard work) and not a negative.

A better example of what I'm trying to say would be if your kid got a D in school and you said you were proud of them.  Again, you would be proud of the effort rather than the result because if you say "I'm proud my kid got a D" you are actaully saying you expected them to get a lower mark....

Hope that makes sense!!!!!

P.S.  There is a difference between being happy or content and being prideful.  I you say "I'm proud to be Irish" you are implying that you would not like to be another race and thus you must be, by definition, superior.  I'm happy being Irish/white/black etc sounds better.
Even after you reword it, it is still contrary to your previous assertions.  By saying, "I am proud of my kids' effort," you are not saying that their effort was superior to anybody elses, only that you are proud of what they did.
kr@cker
Bringin' Sexy Back!
Oh, are hooligans more criminal in nature or something? My impression was that they were more like drunken frat boys and just got a little rowdy sometimes. I didn't know they were that bad. I just wanted to point out that during the series everyone will be shouting insults at each other and afterward buying each other tequila shots.
[bpuk]jack
+58|6657
I for one am an extremely proud and patriotic british citizen

but im starting to get pissed of because of political correctness in Britain; the country that ruled a quarter of the globe.

We arent allowed to fly teh union jack or teh george cross now because it "offends Muslims and other ethnic minorities" <<LITTLE BIT OF NEW FOR THE GOVERNMENT MUSLIMS ARENT AN ETHNIC MINORITY ANYMORE THEY ARE ONE OF THE MOST PROMINENT RACES IN BRITAIN

IF FOREIGNERS WHO COME TO LIVE IN OUR COUNTRY AND HAVE STATE HEALTHCARE AND BENEFITS THEN THEY HAVE TO FUCKING RESPECT OUR COUNTRY...I DONT CARE IF OUR FLAG OFFENDS YOU...ITS A NATIONAL SYMBOL!!IT CANT BE OFFENSIVE!! I PUT UP WITH THE MOSQUES AND TEMPLES OUTNUMBERING CHURCHES SO YOU CAN RESPECT TEH FACT THAT WE ARE PROUD AS A COUNTRY AND IF YOU COME TO LIVE HERE THEN YOU SHOULD BE PROUD TO!
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6781|PNW

[bpuk]jack wrote:

We arent allowed to fly teh union jack or teh george cross now because it "offends Muslims and other ethnic minorities"
WHAT?! You're kidding.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2006-06-02 13:14:23)

[bpuk]jack
+58|6657

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

[bpuk]jack wrote:

We arent allowed to fly teh union jack or teh george cross now because it "offends Muslims and other ethnic minorities"
WHAT?! You're kidding.
yep its true take a look at todays papers..today its the george cross..the union jack was a while ago..although im still flying my george cross on my car (those ones that go in teh door)  and have a union jack in my hall window...  The Sun has  called for a campaign because the do-gooders have said that it is unadvisable to take George crosses to teh world cup matches or fly them in support at hmoe due to complaints....id like to meet theses people who made teh complaints so i could shoot them and stick a plaque round their neck saying "This is the last person to move here, take benefits and use teh NHS then complain about teh National flag"
[bpuk]jack
+58|6657
Just found the front page on teh suns website...this is todays and this is what has got a hell of a lot of people annoyed because a lot of large complanies have banned their drivers from flying teh flags --NTL, BT, TESCO etc

https://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h248/rawleyj123/0200625097600.jpg

Last edited by [bpuk]jack (2006-06-02 13:21:42)

Pug
UR father's brother's nephew's former roommate
+652|6551|Texas - Bigger than France
Why can't we all get along!

Let's get back to hating the same thing - any change (aka patch), flat beer, brussel sprouts, clowns (especially you Chuckles from my sixth birthday party), and of course, the EFFING Moon.
[bpuk]jack
+58|6657
http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2006250446,00.html

the full story

"Anjem Choudary, a former leader of the Islamic extremist group Al-Muhajiroun, claimed the St George flag symbolised a bloodthirsty past. He said: “The cross does represent Christianity and for Muslims it also represents a crusader history of occupation and murder.” " - from the sun newspaper

^ ^ ^ ^
BULLSHIT I SAY...teh crusades happened...all thriteen of them...we cant change it...
atlvolunteer
PKMMMMMMMMMM
+27|6781|Atlanta, GA USA

[bpuk]jack wrote:

Just found the front page on teh suns website...this is todays and this is what has got a hell of a lot of people annoyed because a lot of large complanies have banned their drivers from flying teh flags --NTL, BT, TESCO etc

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h248/ … 097600.jpg
LOL that's great.  PC is getting bad in the States as well.  Really pisses me off.
[bpuk]jack
+58|6657
AT least its not illegal and the police dont come round if you fly your NATIONAL flag
kr@cker
Bringin' Sexy Back!
And the Crescent Moon is in no way reminiscent of the slaughter of millions of christians either? I say start a campaign to remove all muslim symbols outside the mosques as they are symbols of violent and bloodthirsty pasts. How about a "BF2 players Fuck Them Fuckers" tour where we all take turns showing up in each others countries streaking our national symbols painted on our asses, Sarnath, B. Schuss, jack, me all running around blasting Ted Nugent, The Prodigy, Rammstein, and ....well..... I don't know any Swedish bands off the top of my head. Nudity in Unity!!! Patriots of the world unite!!! Any excuse to participate in drunken shenanigans is a good one, but this is the best I've ever heard.

While we're on the subject, on my Prodigy "Their Law: The Singles" DVD I see a huge American Rebel flag being waved at a performance at the Red Squard in Moscow, is this flag very well known in Europe? That would be great if it was cuz I want something to wear to the Creamfields show, but to be honest, all the American flag t-shirts are tacky, but the Rebel flag just always looks bitchin. I thought about the Don't Tread On Me one, but I would just look silly wearing it and being trampled into the mud.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6781|PNW

As the rebel flag and the "Don't Tread On Me" motto have been brought up, I thought I might present some online documentation. Never any substitute for a nice, dusty old book, but these are somewhat informative:

Stars and Bars, Snakes and More Snakes

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2006-06-02 15:01:35)

[bpuk]jack
+58|6657
another PC thing in britian is christmas in most places is being renamed Winter festival and you have a winter tree and winter light....apparently its insulting and offensive to muslims<<<once again>>>but i say ramadan and whatever else is insulting to me so are they going to rename that ? NO!...(EED(spelt wrong i no) etc)

all i can say is if i went to pakistan and said that their flag was offensive id be stoned and thrown out of the country

Last edited by [bpuk]jack (2006-06-02 15:32:13)

lowing
Banned
+1,662|6661|USA

=OBS= EstebanRey wrote:

lowing wrote:

=OBS= EstebanRey wrote:

I have a problem with it and it doesn't make me racist and here's why.  The word "proud" is the defining factor in this case as by definition you can only have pride in an achievement or something that is overall better than its competitors.

In my view, people of all skin colours are equal and by saying you are proud to be white/black/yellow you are actually saying that your race is better than the majority.  Think about it, try and start a sentence with "I'm proud...." and choose anything you like but it will never be negative or equal to its comparatitive subjects. 

P.S. I'm white also
"I'M PROUD" of my kids even though they LOST their baseball game to a team that was BETTER than them.

Hmmmmmmmmmm, I don't see a problem with having pride.

Now by all means,...........go ahead and explain to me why this sentence doesn't work, or count for your challenge.
The problem with that is what exactly are you proud of?  If you think about it when you say something like that in that context you are actually saying I am proud of "the effort" my kids put in even though they lost.  You wouldn't say you were proud of the loss itself, agreed?  Thus you are proud of a positive (their hard work) and not a negative.

A better example of what I'm trying to say would be if your kid got a D in school and you said you were proud of them.  Again, you would be proud of the effort rather than the result because if you say "I'm proud my kid got a D" you are actaully saying you expected them to get a lower mark....

Hope that makes sense!!!!!

P.S.  There is a difference between being happy or content and being prideful.  I you say "I'm proud to be Irish" you are implying that you would not like to be another race and thus you must be, by definition, superior.  I'm happy being Irish/white/black etc sounds better.
So I guess I am not allowed to be a proud American, because by doing so I am saying that I am better than the rest of the world?? I simply can't be proud of our freedoms, proud of what our country does for otheres in this world, proud of our leadership in the fight against those that would see us be destroyed??

Sorry buddy, I am a proud American, and if THAT fact, makes you think, that I THINK ,I am better than you, then you are the one that has a problem with an inferiority complex. Maybe those that agree with you  should see a doctor maybe they can give you something to boost your low self esteem of yourselves

Last edited by lowing (2006-06-02 16:12:20)

kr@cker
Bringin' Sexy Back!

[bpuk]jack wrote:

another PC thing in britian is christmas in most places is being renamed Winter festival and you have a winter tree and winter light....apparently its insulting and offensive to muslims<<<once again>>>but i say ramadan and whatever else is insulting to me so are they going to rename that ? NO!...(EED(spelt wrong i no) etc)

all i can say is if i went to pakistan and said that their flag was offensive id be stoned and thrown out of the country
SWEET!! I HAVEN'T BEEN STONED IN AGES!!!
atlvolunteer
PKMMMMMMMMMM
+27|6781|Atlanta, GA USA

[bpuk]jack wrote:

Yeah, that shit is going on here now too.  I think it is bullshit...

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard