lilmike815
+2|6765|Chicago, IL, U. S. A.
What impact woul this have besides restricting ATi to amd and nvidia to intel?

http://firingsquad.com/news/newsarticle … -"old articles"

Edit: sorry this article is old i found tons of current ones by searching on yahoo news

"New articles"
http://news.search.yahoo.com/search/new … r2=tab-web

I saw something on CNBC syaing that ATi is priced to be bought, leaving it open for AMD to buy because they have alot of cash on hand, and AMD wanting growth in teh semi conductor market. CNBC said that this might be unlikely because tthis would make Nvidia Mad. They said a partnership or something would more than likely be in thw works. I guess this must of been in the works for a while givin the other article is  almost a year old.

Hope that cleared up ANY confusing

Last edited by lilmike815 (2006-06-02 09:49:38)

T0tal-Annihilation
+6|6655|Marietta, GA (near Atlanta)
Well, ATi cards could get expensive very fast looking at the current AMD chip prices though probably not likely as AMD was dominating the market prior to Conroe.
They could be maybe be limited to only AMD though that's not likely...
I doubt any serious changes would happen.
antin0de
+44|6637|SL,UT
looks like a lot of speculation to me...
Janus67
Tech God
+86|6565|Ohio, USA
I seriously doubt that it would happen.
T0tal-Annihilation
lol yeah...
I seriously can't imagine AMD or Intel buying ATi.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

The title of this thread is misleading. The article is speculation, and doesn't specify only AMD as a potential buyer. However, if AMD did pick up ATI, I doubt they'd get out of bed with NVIDIA. Something good could result from it though. ATI and NVIDIA might get together and swap technologies for an ubercard. But then there would be a precious few to offer competition against such an erstwhile alliance. 3dlabs? S3? Come on...

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2006-06-01 11:47:49)

OMG-AIDS
+24|6533|Florida
I would like to ask you guys to take a look at the date.  This article is almost a year old...I doubt it's going to happen now...
Maj.Do
+85|6722|good old CA
wow hopefully prices wont go up
lilmike815
+2|6765|Chicago, IL, U. S. A.

Maj.Do wrote:

wow hopefully prices wont go up
Sorry read the Edit i made in the original post
T0tal-Annihilation

OMG-AIDS wrote:

I would like to ask you guys to take a look at the date.  This article is almost a year old...I doubt it's going to happen now...
lol whoops, shoulda noticed that ^^
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6686

T0tal-Annihilation wrote:

OMG-AIDS wrote:

ROFL

if AMD buys ATI, then intel buys AMD which will own ATI, so pretty much the whole thing is intel dominant, intel will only make its products competible w/ itself such as no nvidia card is supported by mobo, only ati cards etc... but i doubt that would happen
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6706|Salt Lake City

OMG-AIDS wrote:

There was another article in Forbes that is just a few days old that said the same thing.

http://www.forbes.com/2006/05/31/amd-at … r=yahootix
Viper007Bond
Moderator Emeritus
+236|6775|Portland, OR, USA

Janus67 wrote:

I seriously doubt that it would happen.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/044900892044e7fc95e599e832a086ae9bcd7efb.png
Aardcore
+60|6683|USA, Arizona
Intel with nVidia? Christ it's bad enough EA sports nVid technology into their gaming scene exclusively, the damn tag line "The way it's meant to be played." being more of a code of conduct rather than a suggestive marketing tag.

What's next? EA gonna Have something like "Intel, true power where it matters." or something like that.

Anyway, getting back onto topic here, ATI being bought by AMD? Seems like a smart move to me, I mean all other businesses are complimentary to each other by buying each other off now and such. Been done with phone companies, food franchises, sure, I wouldn't see this anything strange that it'd be happening to the tech market.

Still now that could mean technologies between the two companies will most definitely be shared and complimenting each other. At some point there will be a fine line drawn between technology to standardize each to their own such as... "AMD will work with nVidia videocards and technology... but it will work SO MUCH BETTER with an ATI one *thumbs up*" and likewise for nVidia with Intel if it comes to that.

Though Janus says it might not happen, if the idea's conjured up, it very might as well happen.

Last edited by Aardcore (2006-06-02 16:31:07)

JE3146
+109|6541|Oregon

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

T0tal-Annihilation wrote:

OMG-AIDS wrote:

ROFL

if AMD buys ATI, then intel buys AMD which will own ATI, so pretty much the whole thing is intel dominant, intel will only make its products competible w/ itself such as no nvidia card is supported by mobo, only ati cards etc... but i doubt that would happen
You really think AMD would sell to Intel? With as much backing as AMD has with the German .gov regarding their fabplants, I really doubt they'd sellout.

AMD is broke, but they're not busted. Buying ATI would also be a stupid idea considering the fact they should be concentrating on their K8L to combat Conroe.

And if I hear another (Conroe PWNS AMD) thread... I'm gonna scream. I fail to see the significance of a few unstably overclocked at ridiculously high voltages cherry picked processors in a few biased reviews. Conroe will very well dominate the current benchmarks, but it isn't the end-all be-all and AMD still has some fight left for 2007. (moreso after they get their 65nm fab up and running)
Snipedya14
Dont tread on me
+77|6665|Mountains of West Virginia

JE3146 wrote:

I fail to see the significance of a few unstably overclocked at ridiculously high voltages cherry picked processors in a few biased reviews.
Unstable? Proof Please. All I have seen is Nice Ocing with great benchmark results, no instability. And its not like they are being Overclocked on Liquid Nitrogen or even water cooling. Alot of them are on Air.

JE3146 wrote:

Conroe will very well dominate the current benchmarks, but it isn't the end-all be-all and AMD still has some fight left for 2007. (moreso after they get their 65nm fab up and running)
But I do agree with ya here. I hate how people are comparing the Conroe the the FX series. This is new gen stuff, showing it trounce a FX-60 isnt really a fair fight.
JE3146
+109|6541|Oregon

Snipedya14 wrote:

JE3146 wrote:

I fail to see the significance of a few unstably overclocked at ridiculously high voltages cherry picked processors in a few biased reviews.
Unstable? Proof Please. All I have seen is Nice Ocing with great benchmark results, no instability. And its not like they are being Overclocked on Liquid Nitrogen or even water cooling. Alot of them are on Air.
Haven't seen any successful dual runs with Prime95 at that 4.5 to 5Ghz mark to prove stability. Benchmarks are one thing, but Prime95 is another.

Nothing says "WTKAJD*@)&*&#@" like having your comp reboot in the middle of a great game

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard