Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6785|Noizyland

JaMDude! Yay! The concervative christian! This should get interesting now!

The Bible is great, really. Most, if not all our major laws come from it. And why shouldn't they? The Bible teaches people to lead a good life, to be kind to others etc, it's the Good Book dammit! They call it that for a reason.
Creationalism however is outdated. It came from a time where the powerful needed to inform the lower classes to how everything came to be. This was to exercise power over the ignorant. The church leaders needed to be able to explain the world and explain God's, (their,) power over the not-so powerful.
It is foolish to believe that God took six days to create everything. How long was six days when there was absoloute nothing? Where did God come from? What the fuck is with dinosaur bones? (If anyone says 'a test of faith' I'll gut them,)

So many questions. thankfully for the church leaders, the lower classes were ignorant and afraid, so they didn't get asked the hard questions. Today however there is SO MUCH that goes against creationalism that it holds no ground except for the faithful.

Should it be taught in schools? Not as fact. I remember being told stories of Noah's Ark, and that's what it was, a childrens story. They should definatly be taught about it and what it means, but not that "That's what happened."

I think I've rambled enough...
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
Point&Shoot
Tank Whore
+52|6557|Canada
If you don't object too much at taking a critical look at religion, even your own you should read a book called The Hiram Key.  It's suppose to be a book by a couple of Freemasons trying to find the true source of their order.  It turns out to be a little vague in that respect because as Freemasons they don't want to reveal too much about their order and secret degrees but they do a lot of research on religion particularly Judaism and Christianity and their origins.  They don't make many conclusions on the religions per say but what they do find is interesting in that a lot of the old testament is based upon the ancient Sumerian beliefs.  Just reading what research they had found, which some of it I want to research on my own to verify, really makes me wonder about religion.  Did God create man in the beginning or did man create God and changed him throughout the ages to fit his needs.  Really worth the read.  Of course while you're waiting for the next BF2 map to load.
Xietsu
Banned
+50|6567

JaMDuDe wrote:

I believe it but i dont think it should be taught in science. I think crediting everything to absolute nothingness is ignorant.
Crediting everything to absolute nothingness? Who the hell says I'm giving absolute nothingness credit for everything? You must realize that there can be no initial creation when it comes to identification of all that is. Why create some thoroughly idiotic belief of the supernatural and then claim it was the beginning when we are at a period of time where a wholely more reasonable beginning can be provided? Who the fuck says there has to be a reason for life's existence?

The point is that you don't know. There is an infinite lack of need when it comes to faith in the supernatural. In the end, you can only fathom that the supernatural is merely just a possibility.

Last edited by Xietsu (2006-05-30 20:57:00)

OpsChief
+101|6686|Southern California

JohnnyBlanco wrote:

Well, done anyone out there beleive in it and if so do you think it should be tought in schools?. Personally i think its down right dangerous to teach that to a kid, but is it a parents/schools choice?
with regards to the things we cannot prove nor disprove both theories should be taught in some manner. At square one, beginning of Existance, the best scientists are still guessing why it happened and believing what happened, as do creationists. How much day-to-day functional difference is there really between a theory and a belief?

So in the historical context of religion and it's progeny, civilization, should be taught, not as "believe or disbelieve" but as this is what people thought and why they did what they did and why some choose to believe in science where other prefer to believe in ancient accounts of creation.

The sad part is we, as humans, cannot comprehend a Supreme Being that pre-exists existance and survives the end. Some people still think that on the first day God created the Heavens and the Earth. Problem is without a Sun and orbiting planets there are no "days" or, days can last millions of years....

lol humans have little minds.
Point&Shoot
Tank Whore
+52|6557|Canada

OpsChief wrote:

The sad part is we, as humans, cannot comprehend a Supreme Being that pre-exists existance and survives the end. Some people still think that on the first day God created the Heavens and the Earth. Problem is without a Sun and orbiting planets there are no "days" or, days can last millions of years....

But of course you are assuming that what man wrote into the old testament is what God did.  I personally have my doubts, not about an all powerful beyond my comprehension, but doubts in what is written about Him and what He has done.  Everything that is written in any holy book is still only written by man who is, by definition, fallible and with sin.  So how could you take the bible as fact, any part, especially after the Romans/Catholics had their hand in editing it.  How do you know where to put your faith.  Do we worship this benevolent, all-powerful Jehovah, or is it the storm god that Moses put into the ark of the covenant Yahweh, is it the god of Abraham's fathers, or is it something else Ra the sun god?  How do you know which writing is right?  If you research past religions you can find traces of Christianity all the way up to it's formation.  There are other prior religions with virgin births and many others with a resurrection.

How the hell do you know?  Please tell me, I get more confused the more I look.

Seriously how do you know that it's the Bible you should read and not the Quarn or Kabala.
Buzerk1
+44|6847
Like one said earlier, it's about facts. But more important is about interpretation of facts.

If you take everything in the Bible as facts, then one is right to believe that Evolution is wrong. Arguing about it with someone truly believing in these is a waste of BF2 time

But the Truth is the Bible come from "word of mouth", I'm not saying what's in it is wrong or it never happened, I just saying it's "word of mouth". You see an accident, tell someone about it, who do the same to another. After 10 peoples, compare the stories. They all say the same thing but not exactly the same thing. With the Bible we are talking about thousands of people over centuries, guess what, the story changed over time.

When you also know the "Church" "pick and choose" among all stories to create what we call today the Bible, how can you tell this a foundation for "Scientific Theory".

Bending the story and say "Well you know your right, may be Dinosaur did exist 50 millions years ago, but you know "without a Sun and orbiting planets there are no "days" or, days can last millions of years.... " That is just a load of...you know what. Supreme being or not.

Believe in what ever you want, it's not important. There is a reason why the church is separate from the state. And this whole tread explain the danger of mixing both.
Marconius
One-eyed Wonder Mod
+368|6704|San Francisco

J=MAN wrote:

Which means simply that we must choose what we want to believe. If you want to believe that there is no existence apart from the material, and that life is the product of random, meaningless processes: evolution. If you want to believe that there are things in the universe that we can't see with our eyes or telescopes, and that life is the product of a brilliant mind: creation.

If you are genuinely interested in this debate, hit the literature. Read both sides of the story first-hand, instead of regurgitating a third-hand version of only one story. For evolution, look for books by Richard Dawkins, Stephen Jay Gould and Michael Behe. For creation, read Duane Gish, Werner Gitt or Carl Wieland (although these are much harder to get).
Point taken here.  Evolution itself still uses the Scientific Method to arrive at any conclusion within its scope.  Lamarck and Lyell developed theories based on postulation, arrived by following the Method, to which Darwin began creating his view of natural selection.  Due to the advancement of genetics and the blossoming of the science in that area, more facts and data are able to be drawn towards proof of Evolutionary theory.  There's quite a big difference between taking an idea and attempting to solve it and taking a belief and attributing it's existence only to a higher power, thus stopping reason in its tracks and committing oneself to unprovable beliefs (faith).

To the standing argument, Evolution should be taught in a Science classroom since it follows the standards of science, and Creationism should be taught in a Philosophy department, due to the methods of arriving at that particular set of beliefs.
mikkel
+383|6611
If my karma keeps flowing in like it does, I'm ditching all these beliefs and going Hindu.
sidious1
+15|6552
Just ask him when you get to HEAVEN. Its right at the top of my list of questions.
Skruples
Mod Incarnate
+234|6711
"I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do.
When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will
understand why I dismiss yours."
-Stephen F Roberts

"I am an atheist, out and out. It took me a long time to say it. I've been
an atheist for years and years, but somehow I felt it was intellectually
unrespectable to say that one is an atheist, because it assumed knowledge
that one didn't have. Somehow it was better to say one was a humanist or
agnostic... I don't have the evidence to prove that God doesn't exist, but I
so strongly suspect that he doesn't that I don't want to waste my time."
-Isaac Asimov

I think that covers my opinion rather well.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6642|949

that Asimov quote is an excellent one, and one I go back to very often.  It took me a while to come out and call myself an athiest, because it is still a belief system,  but I think Asimov is very correct in saying that I am so sure there is no God that I simply cannot waste my time.  As for creationism, I agree with prior posts, it could be taught in a world religion or philosophy class, but should not be taught in science.  The way science textbooks are written now, most ideas in there are 5-10 years behind the times anyway.

The problem with anything that is taught in schools is this:  Everyone wants to teach their perspective on the world.  Instead of teaching kids how to learn, problem solve, critically analyze, they tell them what to learn.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6685|Canberra, AUS
Read

Last edited by Spark (2006-05-31 00:55:12)

The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
BVC
+325|6706

Tyferra wrote:

The Bible is great, really. Most, if not all our major laws come from it. And why shouldn't they? The Bible teaches people to lead a good life, to be kind to others etc, it's the Good Book dammit! They call it that for a reason.
Creationalism however is outdated. It came from a time where the powerful needed to inform the lower classes to how everything came to be. This was to exercise power over the ignorant. The church leaders needed to be able to explain the world and explain God's, (their,) power over the not-so powerful.
It is foolish to believe that God took six days to create everything. How long was six days when there was absoloute nothing? Where did God come from? What the fuck is with dinosaur bones? (If anyone says 'a test of faith' I'll gut them,)

So many questions. thankfully for the church leaders, the lower classes were ignorant and afraid, so they didn't get asked the hard questions. Today however there is SO MUCH that goes against creationalism that it holds no ground except for the faithful.

Should it be taught in schools? Not as fact. I remember being told stories of Noah's Ark, and that's what it was, a childrens story. They should definatly be taught about it and what it means, but not that "That's what happened."

I think I've rambled enough...
Did you get Maori mythology as well?  We had full-blown RE classes in standard 4 (1989 for me) but also got a lot of Maori stuff including how Maui fished up NZ.  Good stuff...though I'm thankful they don't teach RE any more.
CameronPoe
+2,925|6566
Evolution is a theory with strong evidence to suggest that it is highly probable. The fact that it is a theory means it is not trying to sell itself as an absolute truth.
Many creationist beliefs can be dipsroved using modern science and whatsmore it is taught as though it is an absolute truth. It is wrong to teach creationism as if it is a truth. There is no harm in someone deluding themselves into believing creationism if it benefits them but to teach it as though it is absolute truth is abhorrent and counter to human progress.

Last edited by CameronPoe (2006-05-31 05:39:56)

bakarocket
+12|6559

Xietsu wrote:

And "spelt" is actually spelled "spelled". Always ironic to me when people misspell "misspelled" or "spelled" after making such a correction.
Nope. "spelt" is the past participle of spell. "Spelled" is the simple past. Both are acceptable in both situations as any basic grammar book will tell you.

On topic, why does anyone care?

More on topic, Darwin's evolution is not a theory. It's a scientific fact that species have evolved into other species. Why? You'll have to read more than just Gould and Hawkins to understand. A good idea is to get a degree in biology, but that's not as hard as everyone makes it out to be. Parts of evolutionary theory are supported by replicable results but not all. That's why evolutionary theory is constantly, well, evolving.

Now, the idea that species will CONTINUE to evolve is a theory, because it is not replicable in laboratories at the moment. We have no idea if they will continue to evolve, because we have to wait until they do evolve to measure if they evolved or not. They fact that they did evolve in the past is just that.

Creationism is different in that it takes some of the evidence of evolution and finds a different cause for it. This is perfectly scientific. However, unlike evolution, it doesn't use the presently available science to its advantage. It doesn't even try. Also, in the case of contradicting evidence, ID does not change the theory to match the new data, it just says "God did it, theory stays the same."

Finally, there is nothing in creationism that contradicts evolution, and vice versa. Evolution doesn't discuss the origins of life, it discusses what happens after life has already begun.

Did God kick the small furry animal in the bottom hard enough so it would become a monkey in a few thousand generations? Who knows? Who can know?

Those questions are why creationism is not science. It doesn't try to find the answers, because it already knows the answer. Who knows? God. Who can know? God. And us, because he told us, but ultimately just God.

Creationism should be taught in schools as a philosophy, just like Buddhism and Taoism and Islam and Marx and Judaism and, well, you get the point. Evolution should be taught as science until it is proven wrong. Why? Because everything except God points to it.

It all boils down to something my professor said to me once, "Science answers "How?", God answers 'Why?'"

***befittingly edited for a grammar mistake***

Last edited by bakarocket (2006-05-31 05:59:02)

OpsChief

Point&Shoot wrote:

OpsChief wrote:

But of course you are assuming that what man wrote into the old testament is what God did.  I personally have my doubts, not about an all powerful beyond my comprehension, but doubts in what is written about Him and what He has done.  Everything that is written in any holy book is still only written by man who is, by definition, fallible and with sin.  So how could you take the bible as fact, any part, especially after the Romans/Catholics had their hand in editing it.  How do you know where to put your faith.  Do we worship this benevolent, all-powerful Jehovah, or is it the storm god that Moses put into the ark of the covenant Yahweh, is it the god of Abraham's fathers, or is it something else Ra the sun god?  How do you know which writing is right?  If you research past religions you can find traces of Christianity all the way up to it's formation.  There are other prior religions with virgin births and many others with a resurrection.

Seriously how do you know that it's the Bible you should read and not the Quarn or Kabala.
Sorry m8 you must be reading someone elses post not mine, everything you say is well rehearsed for a fundementalist v science debate but isn't related to my comments very well.

I think i was pretty clear that man is fallable whther historian or scientist. I don't think anyone is capable of understanding God on an equal level. The "Old Testament" was written in a time when the existing vocabulary was maybe 10,000 words total. We now have 10x that amount so we can analyze and express ourselves with much more detail and even sound profound.

I think it is clear also that I am discouraging taking the bible literally. The bible must be taken in context just like the sciences "of-the-day" whenever that occurs. Sience and our human perspective of the physical universe has changed much more than the view of the spiritual universe over then same number of years. Context is everything.
atlvolunteer
PKMMMMMMMMMM
+27|6781|Atlanta, GA USA

Xietsu wrote:

And "spelt" is actually spelled "spelled". Always ironic to me when people misspell "misspelled" or "spelled" after making such a correction.
Actually, according to the Webster online dictionary:
Main Entry: spelt
Pronunciation: 'spelt
chiefly British past and past participle of SPELL
EDIT: Doh!  Somebody beat me to it.  As to the argument, I agree with Marconius:  if Creation or ID is to be taught, it should be taught in Philosophy, not Science class.

Last edited by atlvolunteer (2006-05-31 08:03:25)

OpsChief

Point&Shoot wrote:

OpsChief wrote:

To answer your last two questions I think you and everybody should read them all, especially scientists when they think they discovered something "new" lol. There is nothing new under the sun, what is 'new' is the way we value it, perceive it or use it.  Read how each religion influenced the other. Remember humans, while well meaning, may misunderstand something they see or hear, or they may twist it to fit their current needs. Science has done the same on as many occasions.
acidkiller187
+123|6640
It also said that the Bible is the Word of God[So how can his word be Sin]
At the end of the day believe is only what you want it to be it can be anything supernatural or not you have the choice either you believe or you don’t that’s called Free Will Just my $0.000002 cents worth

Last edited by acidkiller187 (2006-05-31 08:05:52)

JaMDuDe
+69|6788

Tyferra wrote:

If the bible was just written to control people by some leaders, why did it take 1500 years to write? Ill admit it, the earth might be old . The bible was not written in english and did not use the word "day". It could have ment "a period of time" rather than 24 hours. And im not slowly coming to the "truth" of evolution.

The bible says God has always been and always will be. He created time along with the universe so he didnt/doesnt need to begin.

Last edited by JaMDuDe (2006-05-31 08:57:12)

Erkut.hv
+124|6745|California

JohnnyBlanco wrote:

Well, done anyone out there beleive in it and if so do you think it should be tought in schools?. Personally i think its down right dangerous to teach that to a kid, but is it a parents/schools choice?
Once again, by the name of the topic, it is already slanted. Your question is already leaning in one direction.

How about this:

I am curious to find out everyone's view on the Theory of Creation, versus the Theory of Evolution.

Please discuss.
bakarocket
+12|6559

Erkut.hv wrote:

Once again, by the name of the topic, it is already slanted. Your question is already leaning in one direction.

How about this:

I am curious to find out everyone's view on the Theory of Creation, versus the Theory of Evolution.

Please discuss.
Nothing to discuss. You believe one, the other, both, or neither. Nothing anyone can say will change anyone else's mind. Only personal contemplation will lead us to whatever our own personal truth is, and whether it is Truly Truth or not is irrelevant.
Marconius
One-eyed Wonder Mod
+368|6704|San Francisco
Exactly bakarocket.

I'm pretty sure the OP has already been answered...otherwise this is going to turn into yet Another thread of everyone versus the unrelenting jamdude.
-F8-Scotch
+43|6580
I'm still confused why one can't believe in both? Scientific research leans to the theory, no fact here and many will argue that "facts" don't exsist, that man man came from an ape/human ancestor. Creationism/Intelligent design charges that "God" made all that is. So, what's the big freakin' deal? Can't a Christian believe that God had a hand in splitting that monkey gene which sent man onto become the overall winner in the evolutionary lottery? It seems to me that Christians just don't want to be tied to monkeys, which boggles me because like Ninja and Pirates, Monkeys rock!

Creationism, along with most other major schools of religious thought, should by all means be taught in school under a banner of philosophical discussion...not science. There's no "scientific" merit to creationism but ia fundamental corner stone of our country is Christianity much less religious beliefs in general. ID isn't science but many folks, even some who aren't "religious", believe there is a higher power. Maybe someday that "higher power" will step in to bitch slap all of us. Untill then we have to go with what works the best for society and for better or worse it's scientific values and research. That isn't to say everyone has to believe in Evolution, however Evolutionary theory belongs in science class and not religious theory.

This is all just part of a bigger problem which should be reserved for another thread. Religion in today's modernized times of instant answers and more difficult questions. Hell, if it wasn't for Wiki or other online information resources, I'd be lost to one extent or another. Everyone has to settle themselves and thier beliefs with a new wave of modernity which could make or break religions. Taking you ball, or in this case Bible, and going home isn't going to change anything.

ps-anybody here a "pastafarian"? It's probably old hat, just figured that maybe the FSM followers would have something to add.
atlvolunteer
PKMMMMMMMMMM
+27|6781|Atlanta, GA USA

-F8-Scotch wrote:

I'm still confused why one can't believe in both? Scientific research leans to the theory, no fact here and many will argue that "facts" don't exsist, that man man came from an ape/human ancestor. Creationism/Intelligent design charges that "God" made all that is. So, what's the big freakin' deal? Can't a Christian believe that God had a hand in splitting that monkey gene which sent man onto become the overall winner in the evolutionary lottery? It seems to me that Christians just don't want to be tied to monkeys, which boggles me because like Ninja and Pirates, Monkeys rock!

Creationism, along with most other major schools of religious thought, should by all means be taught in school under a banner of philosophical discussion...not science. There's no "scientific" merit to creationism but ia fundamental corner stone of our country is Christianity much less religious beliefs in general. ID isn't science but many folks, even some who aren't "religious", believe there is a higher power. Maybe someday that "higher power" will step in to bitch slap all of us. Untill then we have to go with what works the best for society and for better or worse it's scientific values and research. That isn't to say everyone has to believe in Evolution, however Evolutionary theory belongs in science class and not religious theory.

This is all just part of a bigger problem which should be reserved for another thread. Religion in today's modernized times of instant answers and more difficult questions. Hell, if it wasn't for Wiki or other online information resources, I'd be lost to one extent or another. Everyone has to settle themselves and thier beliefs with a new wave of modernity which could make or break religions. Taking you ball, or in this case Bible, and going home isn't going to change anything.

ps-anybody here a "pastafarian"? It's probably old hat, just figured that maybe the FSM followers would have something to add.
You can believe in both.  A lot of Christians believe that God created man through evolution.  The problem is that most people who want creationism or ID taught in school want:
A. Creationism/ID taught right along with Evolution in Science class (while stressing that Evolution is only a theory) or
B. Creationism/ID taught in place of Evolution in Science class
If they would just allow it to be taught in a philosophy class that also discussed other religions/ideas, there wouldn't be a problem.  (actually there would; somebody would find something to bitch about.  they always do...)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard