Dilbert_X wrote:
OK, hear me out.
Mostly I listen to my ipod at work, radio and CDs in the car, a bit tired of burning up my ipod and don't want to burn up my phone either.
An ipod doesn't have the oomph to drive over-ear headphones fully, a hifi amp is a different experience - do I want that at work though?
Plus I think I should spend a bit of money here and there for a few reasons.
A mid size discman would probably do the job but I've not really found anything.
I was looking at something like the Cambridge Audio CD player plus some combined DAC/Amp which I could potentially plug the ipod into also - I want at least treble and bass control, again not seen anything obvious.
The Denon thing actually seems to meet all the requirements, plus it has radio for when I'm really bored, I can get the box standalone or store the speakers and it can become my shed stereo when I retire.
I did want something shiny on my desk to be a conversation piece "ooh Dilbert whats that?" "Well let me tell you..."
I had thought about a turntable and amp but that seems OTT.
you're right that the standard dongle from an ipod/iphone won't power over ear headphones. a standalone media player would though, which come with much better outputs. or there's a range of small dongle DACs that will get you nearer to it. nothing beats a desktop headphone amplifier, of course, but that necessarily ties you to your ... desktop.
astell&kern do some really nice bits of kit for standalone digital media players. i'd guess the name is probably an intentional echo of bang&olufsen (the prices too):
http://www.astellnkern.com/cn/product/view.php?idx=138
there's loads of affordable DAC dongles to plug into your iphone/ipod or laptop via USB and upgrade the sound a bit. i use an english company called iFi but there's frankly cheaper and just as good ones on the market from chi-fi manufacturers.


w/r/t getting a full desktop set-up that covers streamer, DAC, headphone amp, etc. -- yep, the denon will definitely take care of that. don't cambridge audio themselves have a streamer unit too? they are all the rage nowadays for reasons you well elucidate. here are some good brand names from chi-fi that do very well specced stuff for cheaper than cambridge audio: FiiO, Topping, Qudelix.
a lot of the nicer streamer units will basically function as home servers/NAS devices for you, too, helping to store and transcode different media formats to a uniform output. i feel your pain about switching from a physical (CD or vinyl)-based library to my digital library. i was into ripping vinyl records through a top AD/DA converter for a while but it takes a whole afternoon to get a few albums into your computer that way. apart from fetishising extra-expensive cartridges and stylii, may as well just additionally buy the bloody digital files tbh.
Last edited by uziq (2026-09-28 07:36:22)