sgt_mango333
+31|6654

=OBS= EstebanRey wrote:

tupla_s wrote:

http://www.bf2rankedservers.com/forums/ … .php?t=251

ROE wrote:

§1.3 You may not change (hack) any core games files, load into memory or employ external programs or cheats for the purposes of giving yourself an unfair advantage over other players.

This would include but not limited to:

* § MSX and other 3rd party software.
    * § Modification of weapons code, aka Tank turrets exploit.
    * § CVAR hacks which would make players appear Neon
    * § CVAR hacks that let players see thru walls or buildings
    * § Mini-Map hack so all players are visible
    * § Modification of Player Names which would alter their size or colors.
    * § Items not included in this list would be up to EA & DICE to interpret.
edit: too slow
That would make teamspeak a violation then as that is 3rd party software
...and TS interacts with BF2 gameplay code how???  Oh wait it doesn't it's just a communications package specifically addressed by EA as being a legit piece of software to be used IN CONJUNCTION with the game.  Next...
ShEpArD_oF_rOt
+16|6568|Illinois
lol you got me there
tupla_s
+455|6594|Finland
Btw this should be in "Debate and Serious Talk" section
=OBS= EstebanRey
+256|6552|Oxford, England, UK, EU, Earth

sgt_mango333 wrote:

...and TS interacts with BF2 gameplay code how???  Oh wait it doesn't it's just a communications package specifically addressed by EA as being a legit piece of software to be used IN CONJUNCTION with the game.  Next...
...and how does a macro interfer with BF2 coding?  It doesn't!!!!  Man I'm sick of these idiots who know nothing about macros, have never used them and have no idea how they work so out of their ignorance they bash me.

Learn something about them, try one out and you'd see it gives NO unfair advantage and isn't this uber hack you're trying to make it out to be.
Not
Great success!
+216|6578|Chandler, AZ
LOL, Teamspeak isn't 3rd party software that affects your physical gameplay. Yes, it's used for communication which will give you an enormous edge, but it won't aim for you, it won't help you guide missiles, and it won't do in one key press what you should require multiple key presses to accomplish.

I'm not sure why you insist on making the community here at large, which you should know looks at macro users and hackers as the scum at the bottom of the eToilet, think that what you're doing is ok.

You've been proven wrong from several different sources, and you still can't support your arguement against me in regards to an official gaming tournament allowing macro use. It's because you can't. You're using circular logic at this point and it's really quite pathetic. Judging by the way you explain your gameplay style anyway, if you and I ever went head to head, I might just have to ASK you to use your macros to give me a little challenge so I don't fall asleep at the screen. All the 3rd party modification to gameplay is for the guys that can't hang on their own. No sweat.
sgt_mango333
+31|6654

=OBS= EstebanRey wrote:

sgt_mango333 wrote:

...and how does a macro interfer with BF2 coding?  It doesn't!!!!  Man I'm sick of these idiots who know nothing about macros, have never used them and have no idea how they work so out of their ignorance they bash me.

Learn something about them, try one out and you'd see it gives NO unfair advantage and isn't this uber hack you're trying to make it out to be.
Dude...I write macros...I don't just apply them like your doing so don't tell me what they do and don't.  Your macro is interacting with the internal code of BF2 to make something happen.  In your case, you are queuing up several events to happen with the press of a single key.  So why don't you take your "idiot" comment and direct it at yourself.  I know exactly what they do and how they are applied.  I don't have to use your specific application to tell you that the results of your macro directly affect the gameplay of you and those you come in contact with.   Talk about ignorance...add hard headed stubborn stupidity.
Not
Great success!
+216|6578|Chandler, AZ
And the words every proficient loser should be familiar with apply now.

"Game Over".

GG EstebanRey, GG!
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6768|UK

Not wrote:

GG EstebanRey, GG!
which one is he? im getting confused by all the posts who the bloody OP!
flarke
+1|6544
TeamSpeak clearly introduces an "unfair advantage" in BF2.  In-game VoIP doesn't let you talk when you are dead, while teamspeak users can talk freely all the time.

The words "3rd party software" is a very poorly chosen expression that can apply to most software that runs on your computer.  This includes joystick drivers (with or without macro support), mouse configuration software that allows you to assign macros or change mouse sensitivity on the fly, TeamSpeak, X-fire, and so on. 

Obviously, the original poster is using software supplied with his joystick, the same kind of software used by everyone else who uses a modern joystick.  Face it, EA won't do anything about this sort of software (not without huge bad will from all major peripheral hardware manufacturers, e.g. Logitech).

Therefore, this is indeed a court of opinion, so references to ROE and any other rules have no place in this discussion.  From what I've read, many people who've posted here had already formed an opinion, and then set out to find some rule that supports their opinion (or rather, that they think supports their opinion).  That's human nature, I guess.  So is the apparent hypocricy displayed by many posters.

Just accept the fact that some people come up with ways to improve their game that you can't easily use yourself, be it macros, or be it the newest graphics card on the market, or a mouse with more buttons and higher DPI.  Some people will buy SF expansion just to get a few good weapons that regular BF players can't access.  Chances are, each and everyone here has done *something* to improve his chances, one way or another.  Flaming someone for being slightly more inventive than yourself, for deviating from the majority, is childish.  Shame on you.

I don't like using macros either, by the way.  I find that a fine-tuned key layout offers me more advantage than macros do.

Getting back on topic, the only useful macros I can think of would be one-keypress-macros for saying things in the chat.  I don't like the comm-menu so much.
Not
Great success!
+216|6578|Chandler, AZ
It's a matter of common sense buddy. Trying to define and split hairs over "3rd party software" is just stupid, plain and simple.

Again, I throw down the gauntlet to anyone who can find a CPL or CAL league that allows macros in BF2. At a tournament you play at a LAN center, on their PCs, with their equipment. You're allowed to bring a mousepad and one resealable beverage. Your cell phone has to be turned off and put away. Any flash drives or other peripherals will get you disqualified.

The professional community sees it as cheating. What else do you want? Oh, proof that EA calls macros cheating too? Ok, well that's already been done, go back and read where that's been posted three or four times in this thread already.

Hardware etc will give people advantages, no doubt about it, that can't be helped. But there's no graphics card that binds twelve actions to one key press. Let that one sink in before you respond with more ignorant garbage.

Macros are steroids for gamers. You can lift weights, run ten miles a day, and eat right to build muscle. Or you can use some horse medication and do it the easy way without all the work. Of course, one way is for lazy people, and will get you disqualified if you're caught. Now, some people are genetically predisposed to being more physically fit, in our situation that means they have better "hardware". Macros however, are the shortcut like steroids. They exist, you can use them, but you're not doing it the right way.

The other similarity that steroids and macros have, is that they both shrink your genitals. It's been researched by top industry professionals and confirmed. So next time you feel like giving yourself that "competitive edge" in BF2, just remember, you're losing your "competitive edge" to your wife's handsome young gardener.

Last edited by Not (2006-05-30 09:49:39)

flarke
+1|6544

Not wrote:

It's a matter of common sense buddy. Trying to define and split hairs over "3rd party software" is just stupid, plain and simple.

Again, I throw down the gauntlet to anyone who can find a CPL or CAL league that allows macros in BF2. At a tournament you play at a LAN center, on their PCs, with their equipment. You're allowed to bring a mousepad and one resealable beverage. Your cell phone has to be turned off and put away. Any flash drives or other peripherals will get you disqualified.

The professional community sees it as cheating. What else do you want? Oh, proof that EA calls macros cheating too? Ok, well that's already been done, go back and read where that's been posted three or four times in this thread already.

Hardware etc will give people advantages, no doubt about it, that can't be helped. But there's no graphics card that binds twelve actions to one key press. Let that one sink in before you respond with more ignorant garbage.
Buddy, this isn't a new discussion.  It's as old as the quake engine.  My opinion is as educated as yours, so don't call it garbage. 

Does your common sense tell you that Teamspeak and similar 3rd party software is okay because the advantage it gives is less than the advantage given by software that allows to use macros?  That wouldn't be common sense, that'd be... something else.  All 3rd party software is equal, but some is more equal than other, eh? 

Leagues and pro-gaming in all glory, but they don't represent the rest of the BF community.  They'd love to, and they sure love to say they do, but they don't.  All leagues could disappear today, public would still survive.  The opposite isn't true.  So far, with every online FPS to this day, an active pro-gamer community only survived a few months longer (at most) than public play.

And when it comes to public servers, EA can also declare a rule that having a white cat in your lap while playing BF2 is cheating.  No-one can enforce such a rule, no-one can even detect when such a rule is being violated.  A pointless rule that will just fizzle out into unsupported accusations of cheating thrown out by players who can't take losing a few fights.
DrunkFlea
+6|6642

flarke wrote:

TeamSpeak clearly introduces an "unfair advantage" in BF2.  In-game VoIP doesn't let you talk when you are dead, while teamspeak users can talk freely all the time.

The words "3rd party software" is a very poorly chosen expression that can apply to most software that runs on your computer.  This includes joystick drivers (with or without macro support), mouse configuration software that allows you to assign macros or change mouse sensitivity on the fly, TeamSpeak, X-fire, and so on. 

Obviously, the original poster is using software supplied with his joystick, the same kind of software used by everyone else who uses a modern joystick.  Face it, EA won't do anything about this sort of software (not without huge bad will from all major peripheral hardware manufacturers, e.g. Logitech).

Therefore, this is indeed a court of opinion, so references to ROE and any other rules have no place in this discussion.  From what I've read, many people who've posted here had already formed an opinion, and then set out to find some rule that supports their opinion (or rather, that they think supports their opinion).  That's human nature, I guess.  So is the apparent hypocricy displayed by many posters.

Just accept the fact that some people come up with ways to improve their game that you can't easily use yourself, be it macros, or be it the newest graphics card on the market, or a mouse with more buttons and higher DPI.  Some people will buy SF expansion just to get a few good weapons that regular BF players can't access.  Chances are, each and everyone here has done *something* to improve his chances, one way or another.  Flaming someone for being slightly more inventive than yourself, for deviating from the majority, is childish.  Shame on you.

I don't like using macros either, by the way.  I find that a fine-tuned key layout offers me more advantage than macros do.

Getting back on topic, the only useful macros I can think of would be one-keypress-macros for saying things in the chat.  I don't like the comm-menu so much.
Wow, what a load of nonsense that is. 

He is using a macro to make the mechanics of the game easier, therefore negating the challenge EA/Dice created (get this) FOR ALL PLAYERS!  Common logic should tell you using a macro provides an unfair advantage against anyone abiding by the normal constraints of the game. 

And to the OP, If they wanted to make spaming single shot a one key action they probably wouldn't call it SINGLE SHOT!  Oh, and GJ on the TV missile macro.  Who wants to deal with all those pesky clicks to redirect and timing crap.. lol, saving finger fatigue my ass!

Last edited by DrunkFlea (2006-05-30 12:41:02)

Hurricane
Banned
+1,153|6632|Washington, DC

I've got a macro for the "hold down the mouse button and move the mouse" for guiding TV missiles, but its annoying.

I find the F10 macro useful. Oh wait this isn't a Steam game >.<
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6768|UK

flarke wrote:

Leagues and pro-gaming in all glory, but they don't represent the rest of the BF community.  They'd love to, and they sure love to say they do, but they don't.  All leagues could disappear today, public would still survive.  The opposite isn't true.  So far, with every online FPS to this day, an active pro-gamer community only survived a few months longer (at most) than public play.

And when it comes to public servers, EA can also declare a rule that having a white cat in your lap while playing BF2 is cheating.  No-one can enforce such a rule, no-one can even detect when such a rule is being violated.  A pointless rule that will just fizzle out into unsupported accusations of cheating thrown out by players who can't take losing a few fights.
Um unless you havent noticed nearly every server out there is a clan server, no clans = bugger all servers = less people play = the game dies out.

Also you might not be in a clan but a hell of alot of people are i recon at least 30-40% of players. Thats based on the players on servers and their tags.
DrunkFlea
+6|6642

flarke wrote:

Tell me then, how would a white cat (or Teamspeak for that matter), be used to apply an input function to the game such as a macro does?  The two are not comparable. 

This is so simple it's hard to understand how it can be debated.  When you are competing in something, it's usually on a level playing field (ever hear that phrase?).  This is why rules are made, to insure all competition is fair.  If someone steps beyond this in an effort to get easier results they are usually called a cheater.
flarke
+1|6544

Vilham wrote:

flarke wrote:

Um unless you havent noticed nearly every server out there is a clan server, no clans = bugger all servers = less people play = the game dies out.

Also you might not be in a clan but a hell of alot of people are i recon at least 30-40% of players. Thats based on the players on servers and their tags.
Good point.

Let me clarify mine.  Leagues that make certain rules can disappear, clans can disappear, some servers will go down.  Happens all the time.  But even if they all go down at once, there will still be a lot of non-clan servers left to play on.  Sure, it won't be pretty, but eventually new clans and servers and leagues will appear to replace the old ones, as long as there's a large player base that wants to play pub.

Sure, I'm in a clan, but that alone doesn't make me a pro-gamer, just as tags alone don't make anyone else part of a pro-gamer community.  So yeah, there're many people with tags, but that doesn't have to mean all that much, really.

Maybe BF-series is different from all other games I've seen die, and the pro-community really is the main ingredient, but I think your observations don't prove that beyond doubt.  Neither do my observations dictate the future.  I guess time will show which theory was right.
niomosy
+26|6691

Vilham wrote:

flarke wrote:

There are plenty enough non-clan servers out there.  There are various "gaming communities" which aren't clans that have servers out there aside from the official ones which, many times, are empty.  We'd simply fill up some of the empty servers or move on to unranked mods where people can put up their own servers easily enough. 

Not sure how scientific your 30-40% estimate is.  Perhaps it's mainly due to you playing on clan servers in the first place?  I'd estimate clans at less and your serious clans ("pro" gamers) at a very small percentage at best.  Many clans are just in existance so you can have a decent group of people to squad up with.
INCSOC
Member since 1984
+113|6681|Denver, CO
It's too bad EA doesn't like macros

Here's a good one that I would call the Pure Ownage Machine of Death

Support Class - PKM
F - Move Forward
L - Turn Left
D - Duck
P - Prone
1 - Fire
5 - Switch to Ammo

F-F-F-L-1-D-P-D-L-1-D-P-D-L-1-D-P-D-L-1-D-P-D-L-1-D-P-D-L-1-D-P-D-L-1-D-P-D-L-1-D-P-D-L-1-5-1
(shortened, but you get the idea)

So what would happen is you run into a room full of enemies press the button and start spinning and firing like a crazy demon while moving forward and resupplying yourself
sgt_mango333
+31|6654

INCSOC wrote:

Support Class - PKM
F - Move Forward
L - Turn Left
D - Duck
P - Prone
1 - Fire
5 - Switch to Ammo

F-F-F-L-1-D-P-D-L-1-D-P-D-L-1-D-P-D-L-1-D-P-D-L-1-D-P-D-L-1-D-P-D-L-1-D-P-D-L-1-D-P-D-L-1-5-1

So what would happen is you run into a room full of enemies press the button and start spinning and firing like a crazy demon while moving forward and resupplying yourself
Case in point...thank you.  Because not even the highly skilled player can do this.  But the mighty macro would make it possible.  But hey...it's ok because EA didn't specify this macro nor can they enforce the use.
flarke
+1|6544

sgt_mango333 wrote:

INCSOC wrote:

Support Class - PKM
F - Move Forward
L - Turn Left
D - Duck
P - Prone
1 - Fire
5 - Switch to Ammo

Case in point...thank you.  Because not even the highly skilled player can do this.  But the mighty macro would make it possible.  But hey...it's ok because EA didn't specify this macro nor can they enforce the use.
That macro, if you managed to get it working with correct timings and all, would be your doom.  I've been using scripts heavily in all games that made scripting possible, and one thing I've learned over the years is that the best kind of macros, i.e. the kind of macros that help you rather than make you vulnerable, are macros that combine a very limited number of actions (2-3, at most 4).

In other words: "bring up ammo packs + toss ammo pack + bring up your weapon back" is a useful macro.  Saves you a few milliseconds and doesn't make you look like a dumb bot.  On the other hand, the sort of "kill everything in sight" macros like the one quoted above would basically deprive you of control over your game character for several seconds. That's death. You'd never want to use such a macro in a real game.

Finally, one more thing about "rapid-fire" macros.  It's actually perfectly possible to pull off the same kind of speed in BF2 using only your trusty fingers and no external software.  And the limiting factors that act on macro-enabling softwre are: 1) hardware-forced maximum typematic rate of 30 chars/sec  2) ping to server  3) the game's key-state polling interval which is 4) affected by your CPU and GPU speeds.   
All you have to do is map primary fire to two keys at once and just hit on them both as fast as you can with two fingers.  And the better framerate you have, the better this works.  With good framerate, you can fire off single-shots substantially faster than an opponent who runs game in a worse framerate.
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6768|UK

niomosy wrote:

Vilham wrote:

flarke wrote:

There are plenty enough non-clan servers out there.  There are various "gaming communities" which aren't clans that have servers out there aside from the official ones which, many times, are empty.  We'd simply fill up some of the empty servers or move on to unranked mods where people can put up their own servers easily enough. 

Not sure how scientific your 30-40% estimate is.  Perhaps it's mainly due to you playing on clan servers in the first place?  I'd estimate clans at less and your serious clans ("pro" gamers) at a very small percentage at best.  Many clans are just in existance so you can have a decent group of people to squad up with.
well the 30-40% was just based on the servers i go on, which happen to be completly random ones that are ranked, not empty, not full, i just grab a server with space.
panderiz
+32|6768

=OBS= EstebanRey wrote:

TS doesnt give you an UNFAIR ADVANTAGE.
Nor do my macros, look at my stats
It would if you were any good at the game.

It all depends on what you use the macros for example:

I know of individuals that use macros to use the prone exploit to hide behind a barrier and can then in an instant shot go prone, crouch, shot , prone, crouch, shot, ALL THIS WITHOUT EVER APPEARING OVER THE BARRIER.  I've even seen shot clips of it in action and it's basically impossible to counter.  Yes you can do this yourself manually but never as efficiently and never as accurately.  If that is not a cheat then I'll go jump!

TS and other communication links aren't cheating but those macros that automate or speed up in game controls are.

Although there is currently no way via PB or anything else to identify these individuals.

Simple answer is don't use them at all for combining control conbinations, ie someone can automate a revive so they pull out their paddles, shock and then automatically stand up and switch to their main weapon.
-=S8M=-Phoenix
+45|6795|South Cybertown, Texas
I use the Belkin Nostromo Speedpad n52 instead of my keyboard for many games. It allows a person to assign buttons to anything and in any combination!

http://www.twitchguru.com/2004/03/06/ga … index.html

Sorry I don't see this as cheating!

Last edited by -=S8M=-Phoenix (2006-05-31 00:18:45)

Reciprocity
+721|6582|the dank(super) side of Oregon
people like you, even more than EA, make this game unpleasant and frustrating.
Not
Great success!
+216|6578|Chandler, AZ
The key word is automation. Nothing is meant to be automated past what was coded into the game. So by using a macro, you're breaking the game.

The best point I've seen so far in defense of the macros is that the good macros are short and do simple things that would be tedious. Throwing ammo bags for instance. However that's not what our OP is talking about. Our OP is talking about making macros to make TV guiding easier for him by rapid clicking for him, or making firiing easier for him by only having to click once.

Also, I fail to see exactly where I ever mentioned this being enforced as a cheat? I don't recall this argument, at least from my position, as being an issue of enforcement from EA. All I and others here have done is show you exactly where EA says it's cheating to prove to you that you're not supposed to be doing it, and that it's for underdeveloped noobies. Never did I recommend that you get banned or reported for it.

It's just a very amateur thing to do, but if you get your kicks by beating people with artificial support then by all means go for it, it's a game. Just don't ever plan on beating me head to head in any game you can name without your precious eSteroids because you'd get embarrassed.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard