Go Cougs!
+682|6261|Washington St.
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6687|Riva, MD

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

pirana6 wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

If steam is bought by anyone, please let it be by a company who can fix its slow, clunky interface. Amazon has a slow, clunky interface. Do you look forward to every action in your steam cart taking two minutes to compute?
I feel like you've mentioned slowness with Steam before
Probably.

I've never had issues with it. It doesn't seem any faster or slower than any gateway app? I've used on my PC, on the Steam app on my samsung, and used to use (and still have) a physical Steam Link box. The only issue I had was connecting to steam via the Steam Link, but once I was connected, it was never slow.
I'm sorry, let me rephrase that. Steam has a slow, clunky interface when it acts up. Amazon has an even slower, clunkier interface when it acts up. Some aspects of both platforms run fine.

For amazon, the cart and the wishlist are horrible to deal with, to say nothing of its aggregation and obfuscation of misleading products (made worse by link recycling). rehash follows: Spoiler (highlight to read):
I also feel like it could have a better catalog and sorting system for all your purchases. Last I checked, they limit the amount of orders you can "archive." Why? If I want to find out if I ordered a book from them with a title I don't quite remember, why do I have to scroll through 50 months of various other sundries? Let me sort by item type? It's not like I checked recently, so maybe they fixed all that. Not holding my breath.

They also removed one of the pickup lockers at a nearby supermarket, and replaced it with an over-the-counter pickup (again, why). No. Thanks. I can drive to a closer drug store if I want to do that. In-store locker still available down the road from that, so whatever. It's not that I'm particularly worried about porch pirates (although there is activity), I just don't want my blu-rays mistakenly delivered to neighbors as sometimes happened. Not really related to how bad the website is, but whatever.

For the steam platform, I have some technical issues with chat, the store can be slow to respond, and managing screenshots is unworkable unless I do so from a web browser. The in-game overlay can sometimes chug a bit (and occasionally crash) as well, even when I have resources available. Overall, feels more feature-creeped and roughly chained together than it does the streamlined and optimized package it should be after nearly 20 years, and with so many games requiring it open to even launch.

As much as I hate to defend EA, Origin just works for me. Granted, it's not as bulked up on features, but I never get stuck in endless preparing to launch loops, or the occasional infinite update when I launch it. Feels more like using a browser than waiting for a dinosaur's brain to communicate with its tail.
According to some people on Reddit, the beta version of the new Steam Desktop client is a lot more responsive than the current version of Steam is, on top of all the other new features it's bringing along.  I think Valve's experience with the Steam Deck is allowing them to work on making the desktop client feel like a more cohesive experience, and it also looks like they've taken some pages out of the PS5's book with the new individualized Game Overview feature.

Last edited by _j5689_ (2023-05-05 23:32:56)

_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6687|Riva, MD
I got my immediate family and a bunch of my coworkers to buy the AncestryDNA test while it's on sale for $60
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

the illuminati are going to genetically-target you with weaponized covid.
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6261|Washington St.
Do you guys think Shahter got conscripted to go fight in Ukraine?
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
Uzique thinks he died of COVID. He made a persuasive argument
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX

_j5689_ wrote:

I got my immediate family and a bunch of my coworkers to buy the AncestryDNA test while it's on sale for $60
Great, now the FBI have your DNA.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
I asked ChatGPT how to stop being jealous of my clone. He actually gave me a detailed response about how to get past my jealously.

"Feeling jealous of your clone can be a complex emotion to navigate since you essentially share the same qualities and achievements. However, it's important to remember that even though you may have similarities, you are still unique individuals with your own experiences and paths. Here are some strategies to help you cope with jealousy towards your clone:"
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

How's the great reddit dumpster fire treating you, mac?
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
It gave me an answer to "Why are my antlers not as big as my older brother's?" too.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Well thank god, for a week there I thought this place had finally died.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
I talked a corporation to provide $1000 to a Juneteenth event. The head of the organization planning the event is also an elected official. I am officially a "fundraiser."
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6261|Washington St.
Does anybody own an ebike? I'm strongly considering a cargo ebike for all the ~5 mile trips I do in my immediate vicinity. Would replace quite a few stupid car rides
Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,053|6593|Little Bentcock

pirana6 wrote:

Does anybody own an ebike? I'm strongly considering a cargo ebike for all the ~5 mile trips I do in my immediate vicinity. Would replace quite a few stupid car rides
Charge it outside and make sure your smoke alarms work, ta.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6707|Oxferd Ohire
Firefighter propaganda
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Want, but pass due to not living in a bike-friendly area with ample paths, delineated lanes, and where there are secure lockers at the usual destinations. I don't even have faith that an old beater bike would remain unmolested by thieves. I hardly ever see bike racks in use here. Probably draw manager objections if you were to pull into even a spacious a supermarket lobby with a bike and trailer. "You can't bring that inside!" Whoops, sorry. I thought we were charging a dime for plastic bags to save the planet.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
I don't like cars or driving. I like bike lanes even less. Pain in the ass driving through parts of cities or finding parking because they built lanes for white weirdos to cosplay Lance Armstrong.

https://as2.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/03/81/69/81/1000_F_381698143_aHr10HFGU044A5IRwkTSyMCkqwPjEnuf.jpg

The should close all the bike lanes and allow stores to build outdoor dining.

https://lede-admin.nyc.streetsblog.org/wp-content/uploads/sites/48/2020/06/Ofrenda-CROP.jpg

Just today there will be some urban biker who will almost get smoked by a car when they could have just walked.

https://www.shutterstock.com/shutterstock/photos/1934481503/display_1500/stock-photo-bandaged-male-patient-showing-thumb-up-and-smiling-lying-in-hospital-bed-portrait-of-happy-young-1934481503.jpg

Why are people like this? Who looks at this and thinks "you know what I would like to do? Ride a bicycle around all that?"

https://nypost.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2021/07/nyc-traffic-101.jpg?quality=75&strip=all
"I want to ride a bicycle in NYC" is basically a poor version of "I want to leave Hollywood and plow snow."
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Every city should have 1 day/mth when the speed limit is 10kmh to encourage people to not use their cars.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Bicyclists are enduring a multipronged propaganda campaign by car people. "It's too dangerous," but mainly "bicyclists are jerks who don't respect cars and traffic laws." I'm pretty sure that a good amount of drivers don't respect other cars and traffic laws either. Even through Seattle where bicyclists are the subject of much derision, other vehicles on the road have been more problematic.

IMO, bicycling danger is primarily the fault of car-centric urban development. Sections of road with a stencil plastered onto some random part of the lane and signs that are like "bicycles may share lane." That's not a bike lane, that's a welcome to die. More terrifying are bike lanes that I suppose out of necessity (nowhere else to go) cross over a dedicated right turn lane (or perhaps more accurately, right turn lanes that cross over bicycle lanes). Drivers will mindlessly whip into those without so much as glancing into their mirrors, lots of potential for getting run over there.

RE: development, things are just too far apart in a lot of places. And not everybody can afford to move into the city, nor particularly has a desire to huff the smog that comes with it.

Endure all that just to have pieces stolen off your bike because the only place to park it is outside where it's an easy target. "Why don't you just ride a bike?" OK.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Nobody respects traffic laws, but its weird how all knowledge of traffic laws seems to go out of the window when people get on a bike.
I think it doesn't help that they don't have mirrors.

Here we have ample cycle lanes, for some reason many cyclists cycle along the white line, not in the cycle lane.

We also have an annual professional cycle tour - the Tour Down Under. Local wannabees use this as an opportunity to ride around in huge pelotons during peak hour traffic causing mayhem. Seeing ~50 cyclists sail through a red light four abreast does annoy people, cause accidents.

I'd like to be able to cycle on the road, but its just not compatible with modern traffic.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

The idea that bikes aren't compatible with modern traffic is mainly the fault of modern traffic: people driving nondefensively, and development that overwhelmingly favors automobiles. A bunch of bicyclists sailing through a red light does annoy drivers, but then a bicycle being within 50 feet of a car annoys drivers. Drivers disregard delineation, run red lights, cut people off, and road rage all the time. That stuff will get passing comment ('oh well, what do you do?'), but if it's done on a bicycle, prepare yourself for like 30 minutes of driver grumblings (never mind all the time they spend wobbling in their lane because they're dinking with their smartphone in one hand and taking their other off the steering wheel ever so often to gesticulate for emphasis). Most problems on the road are caused by drivers and their automobiles, but bicyclists get caricaturized and demonized out of proportion imo.

How often do you hear about an entire family getting manslaughtered by a drunken bicyclist? 'Breaking news: family of four t-boned by an out-of-control Schwinn. Among the casualties are both parents and a three year old boy. Daughter (7) in critical condition at Luck Cat Pediatric Hospital. Bicyclist uninjured. More as the story develops.'

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2023-07-10 14:07:15)

RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6707|Oxferd Ohire
I'm pro cyclist friendly roads.

Then a relative links an article about a cyclist being run over twice on a highway at night while they were going the wrong way and somehow it's the trucks fault.

The other issue I have is people moving to the country then a 55mph road becomes dangerous cause they want to walk their dog on it. Or jog in the morning in a black hoodie.

Last edited by RTHKI (2023-07-10 12:56:44)

https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6261|Washington St.
There's differences in metropolis roads during rush hour and quiet suburbs on sunday afternoons. There's also differences in bike paths at noon on christmas, and highways at midnight the day high school graduates. There won't be a one-size-fits-all for rules or road types.

That said, I'll sum it up with this: everyone sucks. Everyone.

Except motorcyclists. They always follow all rules and ride defensively and use their vehicles when and where necessary.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6655|United States of America
I'd be curious to see if a city was designed from scratch and what solutions were implemented to appease everybody. Right now, the implementation of things like "cyclists should act as if they're cars and can full lanes" doesn't make sense outside of very specific situations like densely built up roads or very low speed limit areas.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

I have a road bike and pretty much refuse to ride it on city streets. We have a lot of dedicated bike paths that I stick to.

The cyclists who insist on riding in the road as opposed to staying in the bike lane get no sympathy from me. Neither do the ones that think traffic rules don't apply to them. Sorry Lance, a stop sign applies to everyone.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard