uziq
+492|3422
because dilbert is obsessed with israel and, apparently, a party that has all of 13 seats in the knesset.

it’s like me getting perturbed by a faction in peru.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6075|eXtreme to the maX
Is Peru a nuclear-armed state with armageddonism at the centre of its existence?
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
uziq
+492|3422
dilbert, fundamentalist/evangelical christians are far more invested in old testament eschatology.

in fact, christianity has a much more 'active' conception of history. they believe that actions in this life/world can bring about divine outcomes.

jewish theology is much more 'passive' about the coming of the messiah, armageddon, etc.

america's right-wing christians are far more consequential to the world picture than israel. but you aren't anywhere near as obsessed with them.

russia is right now waving the nuclear threat around on a daily basis, backed up by their orthodox church patriarch. he has even been publicly criticised by the pope for this.

both russia and america are, in many ways, rapidly approaching a sort of christo-fascism from different directions.

but it's always israel with you. there's a word for that, you know.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6075|eXtreme to the maX
Neither Russia nor America have the same level of pre-biblical nuttery at the centre of their existence by any stretch.

When America elects members of the Death to Unbelievers party to Congress get back to me.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Dilbert_X wrote:

When America elects members of the Death to Unbelievers party to Congress get back to me.
I bring bad news for you, dilbert. We already are.

Republican rhetoric is increasingly militant, ominous, boisterous of Christian extremism, down the whackadoodle conspiracy rabbit hole, and it can always continue sliding ever rightward while a number of their 'moderates' artfully ignore it.

"I believe in Jesus, guns, and babies."
"We're going RINO hunting!" (republicans-in-name-only)

uziq
+492|3422
it's also highly amusing to claim that america, of all places, didn't have religious nuttery in the centre of its existence, or as part of its DNA.

you know ... that place settled ... by religious fundamentalists who were so extreme and pious in their beliefs that europe practically kicked them out. not all colonies were religious communities, of course, but new england puritanism is surely up there with zionism for zaniness.

like literally half of the eastern seaboard states are named after quakers and nonconformists. lmfao.

Last edited by uziq (2022-11-06 07:00:40)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

"We're going RINO hunting!" The ultra-conservatives are coming for our conservatives and Dilbert doesn't care.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Without any further commentary on my part, the speech certainly is the thing that stands out the most to me in that movie. I'm glad it was put in.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
The government trying to ban TikTok is unfair. It is no worse than any other social media company. A lot of the energy to ban it comes from people who just want to take away something that is making other people happy.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

TikTok is the tip and base of the iceberg, but it isn't the only social media company that needs more careful regulating and monitoring.

It was funny hearing Trump, himself a Twitter addict, threaten to ban TikTok. It's also funny hearing the US government warn people about the CCP harvesting data when we will demand data from our own tech companies if it suits us.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2022-12-15 20:25:59)

uziq
+492|3422

SuperJail Warden wrote:

The government trying to ban TikTok is unfair. It is no worse than any other social media company. A lot of the energy to ban it comes from people who just want to take away something that is making other people happy.
wasn't the whole controversy about tiktok that it's owned by a CCP-pocketed shadowy chinese tech giant who are harvesting all sorts of user data?

of course, facebook/meta and google do that too, but they're our government snitches, dammit.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

I love Apple's perpetual middle finger to government snoops.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6686

uziq wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

wasn't the whole controversy about tiktok that it's owned by a CCP-pocketed shadowy chinese tech giant who are harvesting all sorts of user data?

of course, facebook/meta and google do that too, but they're our government snitches, dammit.
Yeh pree much. But also tik tok in the west is frying the brain of young peeps. Pree good weapon too.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6686

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

I love Apple's perpetual middle finger to government snoops.
They want to protect a broader eco system including payments. Telling everyone to fuck off.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Cybargs wrote:

uziq wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Yeh pree much. But also tik tok in the west is frying the brain of young peeps. Pree good weapon too.
There's always something corrupting the youth.
uziq
+492|3422

Cybargs wrote:

uziq wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

i mean, all the western tech giants invested a lot of R&D and efforts into commanding our attention, tickling our dopamine receptors, and handily pissing us off, etc. facebook's entire business model was basically built around generating clicks for the longest while, and it didn't take them long to realise that negative news and outrage generate much more engagement ...
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
They caught the guy who stabbed those 4 college students to death. The killer was someone absolutely no internet detective even knew existed.

The guy also had a reddit account and posted to True Crime subs. He probably followed the sub about the murder he committed.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
National Review ran a bunch of articles about how social media is bad and should be banned etc.

https://www.nationalreview.com/the-morn … term=first

https://www.nationalreview.com/2023/03/ … erm=second

A bunch of old people complaining about the things young people like. Social media companies need to be regulated to be more transparent but like 90% of the energy to do such a thing comes from old people angry that nobody wants to follow their political post on Facebook
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

"Social media is a horrible net negative on society," complain old people, on social media platforms full of old people.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
Meta has pretty much won the social media war. Threads is going to replace Twitter. TikTok's American operations will be bought out by an American tech company. But Meta already has a clone of TikTok running on Facebook/Instagram. They also copied features from Snapchat.

Meta owns Facebook, Instagram, and Threads. Instagram is integrated into both of the others. You need an Instagram to use Threads but Facebook hasn't been integrated as far as I understand. All of these services are integrated with Meta's Messenger app a message client which is far more popular than the nearest rival WhatsApp.

It is really smart to tie Threads to Instagram but not Facebook. Meta must be afraid of antitrust issues. They can divest Instagram and Threads together while keeping the original Facebook if it comes to it.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Father Ted guy back in the news. Man is very concerned about free speech, but all he got for it was dropped by his agent.

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-ente … 23550.html

It's the kind of free speech though where it's only for speech that agrees with you.

Who the heck picks a fight with Doctor Who? Didn't even have to lift a finger.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard