Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX
I would love to be a traffic cop

"You looked down at your speedometer for a moment there, thats distracted driving"

etc

I was once stopped for "driving carefully", I will get my revenge.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2023-01-30 02:41:04)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

I'm 99.9% sure I've told this story before: when I took my driving test, the instructor wanted me to go faster. I'd reduced to like 24 km/h, and considered it plenty fast enough for a neighborhood full of playing children and blind corners. One the instructor had directed me into.

In my life, I don't think I've had even one parent shout at me to step on it.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689

Dilbert_X wrote:

Whats the actual takeaway though.

[ ] Cops are jerks
[ ] Everyone is racist
[ ] Police forces are institutionally jerks
[ ] Police forces are institutionally racist
[ ] Having to deal with people all day makes people hate people
[ ] Put people in a gang and tell them to act like a gang they will do it
[ ] Having to deal with black people all day makes people hate black people
[ ] All of the above
The video is a lot more cut and dry than the George Floyd incident. The police definitely killed a guy who didn't deserve it. And again, like the Floyd case, I have a little sympathy for the cops in the incident.

We ask cops to put themselves in dangerous situations and then come down on them when the impossible circumstances are too much.

It reminds me of being a teacher at a failing black school in Newark. The situation was impossible and while I understand the students themselves are victims of a system far beyond their control, their behavior was still degrading and exhausting. I have little doubt many cops feel the same way.

I was put in an impossible teaching situation in Newark because I am brown and was expected to have to deal with the problems of brown and black youth. The situation was unfair to me too but I still played it out even though it was an impossible situation. I have no doubt these 5 black cops were given the same assignment in a high crime black area because they are black and expected to deal with those problems. The situation is impossible and they ended up getting someone killed. But then again that is what they were sent there to do. They were expected to keep other black people in line and maintain order in almost the exact way society wanted. And when it didn't work out, we then come down upon them with fury and condemnation.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

It's been discussed when the crippling burden on cops comes up that perhaps we should extract some of the responsibilities from police and place them elsewhere with social workers and programs.

Even so, the "stresses of the job" as they are should not be used to excuse them blowing off steam by brutalizing the public, or lying in court to advance their career. Nor should they be shuffled to another department like a pedophile priest when caught.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

I can see teaching also being stressful in some circumstances, but a lot of jobs involve dealing with stressful situations and vile, recalcitrant people. Would you rather go back to working as a mechanic?

I think I would have enjoyed having you as a history teacher. You seem to express an enthusiasm for the subject and your classroom sometimes that I can appreciate, even if not all of your students do. We could have exchanged notes on our HoI4 campaigns and complained about the endless trickle of DLC and Paradox's clunky interface. You could have given me extra credit for my Estonian world conquest. I don't think I'd have stolen your phone cable for tiktok cred, anyway.

I greatly enjoyed more specialized history in my time at school, (military, aviation and local). How can I build up proper enthusiasm for a period of history abridged to a one page assignment where I'm also supposed to predict what opinion I'm supposed to have, and then it's never talked about again? Why do I have to read about the same stuff at the next grade level when it's exactly the same as the previous grade?

AP wherever I could, but lots of room for improvement even there.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2023-01-30 13:17:40)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

It's been discussed when the crippling burden on cops comes up that perhaps we should extract some of the responsibilities from police and place them elsewhere with social workers and programs.

Even so, the "stresses of the job" as they are should not be used to excuse them blowing off steam by brutalizing the public, or lying in court to advance their career. Nor should they be shuffled to another department like a pedophile priest when caught.
Maybe their actual role should be explained to them - gathering evidence, delivering people to court

Not roaming the streets as the last saviour of democracy agains the ravening hordes.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Police duties are conveniently variable depending on the argument. When defending their role in unnecessary violence, they have too many duties and responsibilities, and it's an overwhelming burden, and everyone has a breaking point under brutal pressure. When defending their dereliction of the 'serve and protect' marketing point, the police are mere officers of the court who have no specific duty to save anyone (which is why you should be armed!).
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6686

Dilbert_X wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Maybe their actual role should be explained to them - gathering evidence, delivering people to court

Not roaming the streets as the last saviour of democracy agains the ravening hordes.
Ummmmmm
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
Non-white Republicans running under fake names are deplorable. Nikki Haley's real name is Nimarata Nikki Haley. Ted Cruz is actually Rafael Cruz. Bobby Jindal is actually Piyush Jindal.

Those Indians names are eyesores but the name Rafael is nice. I would be happy to be a Rafael.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

I don't have any strong feelings about that. People change their names for marriage, for gender changes, as celebrities, authors, or just because they don't like it. Politicians should be able to change their names to something more palatable for their bigoted constituents, even if it is hypocritical when they foment said bigotry behind the paper shield of their anglicized name.

Is Vin Diesel a real name? For that matter, what even is a real name.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
When I run for President I will probably change my name from Dilbert.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

The dilbert guy kind of tanked his reputation lately, hasn't he.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6686

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Non-white Republicans running under fake names are deplorable. Nikki Haley's real name is Nimarata Nikki Haley. Ted Cruz is actually Rafael Cruz. Bobby Jindal is actually Piyush Jindal.

Those Indians names are eyesores but the name Rafael is nice. I would be happy to be a Rafael.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

just gonna leave this here for dilbert: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-66470376
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Here's the campaign so far

"Vote for this!"
"What is it?"
"I'll tell you afterwards, just fucking vote for it you racist bastard"
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

if it was just people asking, "what is it," then whatever. but saw a lot of this stuff with obama. people issue barrage of racist memes and slurs and threats and when pressed, they get defensive and say they were only asking what he stood for. "what so i'm not allowed to have an opinion?" lol, yeah ok.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Well, this isn't America

That article is a neat microcosm - jumping in with accusations of racism in line one.

Hey I know, hear me out.

Wouldn't it be great if african-americans had their own house of congress?
America could change its constitution and add an extra house just for african-americans, then you'd have:

House of Representatives
Senate
House of African-Americans

If you don't think thats a great idea you're a racist.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

i'm getting this sense of finger-quoted, eye-rolling "alleged," but submitting racist memes and laced threats is fairly racist, no? it does at least in the face of people telling you it's no longer an issue.

dilbert wrote:

it's not america, so give me a second while i draw an analogy to america.
if you wanted to go there, you could have referenced american indigenous.

the analogy itself also draws attention to just how white congress is, so good job. lol

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard