uziq
+492|3422
i feel in many ways that the last half a decade or so of developments in the media/culture industry have been a bit of a misstep/progress trap.

there's been a glut of content, quantity over quality, yada yada – but, more importantly, without huge injections of VC cash or stock market floatations, these business models just don't work. netflix was the market leader and is surely the canary in the mine in this case. they've been leaking cash for years.

none of the services are very remunerative to the actual creators and creatives behind these productions, either. spotify is another great example. a great business model for minting massively overvalued billionaire founders, but it pays a pittance to the musicians and artists whose works, aka 'content', are being sucked down the tubes and streamed globally.

it's understandable that consumers, in an era of stagnating wages and rising living costs, have flocked to services that sell access to tv, movies, music, etc, at knockdown prices. but people in the main have become accustomed to paying far less for their music and movies that they are objectively worth. being able to access most of recorded mainstream music in history for $10 a month isn't really benefitting anyone in the long run, save a few tech geeks and early investors in these platforms who will make off with the bag of money. it's totally unrealistic.

i have a problem with the patterns of consumption that these streaming services promote, too. the evisceration of the album format; the death of sequencing and purposeful programming; the decontextualisation of songs or albums from wider bodies of work. the constant need to produce more and put out another album every 6 months, another series every year. and the passivification of television series and sheer aimlessness of netflix binging. who can possibly prefer this over the weekly HBO format where everyone is tuned in at the same time and focused on the same narratives?

it all ultimately leads to a tiktok world in which songs, and culture more generally, become no. 1 chart toppers based on a 15-second hook, and people don't even know the rest of the song its cut from, let alone the artist's wider body of work (this has literally happened with that r&b singer you posted in the music subforum, who had a giant tiktok hit and had to play sold-out shows to zoomers who were only there for that one segment of that one song).

Last edited by uziq (2022-12-14 20:13:58)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

IMO we're getting close to needing a new set of Paramount Decrees irt the big streaming services.

As for streaming itself, it does offer convenience over having to follow a broadcast schedule or having your recorder set up while you're away. I like not having to follow the schedule of a show and just catching up on a weekend every couple months, at least for shows where I'm not in any imminent danger of having an acquaintance spoil things. But what a list of cons.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6707|Oxferd Ohire
Henry Cavill lost The Witcher and Superman. Now he gets to work with Amazon on Warhammer 40k.

Sure that'll go great
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

News to me. Very 'meh' on it.

Warhammer Community🎄
@WarComTeam
Here's one heck of a surprise gift for all Warhammer fans, and it's not even Christmas yet…
Isn't GW already on thin ice with tHe CoMmUnItY, having shut down or caused the preemptive shutdown of multiple beloved fan projects? Doesn't help that the majority of the video games are shovelware. I'm sure they're all just giddy with excitement to see what a TV show is like. There's no way a show like this won't disappoint at least 70% of the fans. There is probably more lore in 40K than in all of human history, and there will be 8 hour videos on youtube explaining everything that went wrong. Sounds like a complete nightmare to produce, but at least creatives get paid.

"The W40KCU" (-pcgamer), why does every esoteric nerd franchise need its own formally named "cinematic universe," spew. I blame comic book movies.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6707|Oxferd Ohire
People are still mad about the YouTuber shutdowns but overall got over it and are back to consuming.

Cavill is an exec producer and likes the stuff maybe it'll be truer to the base material v the rings of power or the Witcher or halo or whatever else is out there
uziq
+492|3422
guy needs to fire his agent.  that’s a huge career L.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6686

uziq wrote:

I don’t blame him for the Witcher stuff cos season 2 was trash
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

RTHKI wrote:

People are still mad about the YouTuber shutdowns but overall got over it and are back to consuming.

Cavill is an exec producer and likes the stuff maybe it'll be truer to the base material v the rings of power or the Witcher or halo or whatever else is out there
Dawn of War and Space Marine were peak 40k for me, at least for licensed stuff. Darktide (40k l4d) released in a state of perpetual crashing with a scummy mobile game currency scheme (devs owned by tencent, go figure). Space Marine 2 is about the last chance I'm giving that franchise. Lack of enthusiasm with for games in general. Gaming today kind of sucks.

uziq wrote:

I wonder if his agent tried to talk him out of it.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6707|Oxferd Ohire
I want to love darktide but it barely runs at a constant 30fps on min settings.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

From what I've heard from the chunk of my friends list who came from Space Marine, frames are like the fat pelican squatting on the tip of the Darktide iceberg. Apparently everything that was good about Vermintide 2 or even L4D were thrown out the window. I'm happy they gave out Vermintide 2 in the Darktide promotion, but I guess not before they already chased away a chunk of that particular community early on.

I bet 99% of the games in my wishlist, which I keep on just to bookmark them for sales, could be dropped and I'd miss them 0%.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
I am watching the Last of Us show. It is incredibly unfair I was not born as good looking and charming as Pedro Pascal.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Adaptations of video games generally seem to suck. Does the show have anything to do with the source material?

I didn't play tlou so I have no stake in this.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
I never played the game. The show is good.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

I don't mind zombie games so much, but I have a hard time getting into zombie shows. A lot of what could be compressed into a 100m runtime becomes like 12 episodes per a bunch of drawn out or unconcluded-when-canceled seasons. I still have to get to watching black friday or whatever that prequel to the other samey zombie show is.

It surprises me to hear that tlou is good. Being a zombie show plus being based off of a video game, one yike.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6075|eXtreme to the maX
I watched the first few episodes of walking dead, I could see it was going to just be soap opera with zombies as a sideshow.
And apparently thats exactly what it was for 12 years.

There's only so much you can do with a lurching zombie.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

The zombies' only job in these shows is to break up love triangles and occasionally crash a settlement's town hall meeting. Jan 6 made that stuff all too real.

Perfect mechanic for an actor to exit a production, though.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
Ever since I was a child I wanted to be Jerry Seinfeld from Seinfeld.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6601|949

Realize your dreams. There's still time
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

one of my circles highly recommended young sheldon to me, because *checks notes* "it's funny."

one of the episodes was broken down for me. dad wanted to move for a better job, family bullied him out of it. that doesn't sound wholesome (also, it would have been a ticket out of texas had they let him(?); boo on them). i said it didn't sound wholesome. they agreed, but insisted the show was still funny.

i checked a clip or two, i think i would rather floss my toes with jagged glass needles than engage.

i also haven't seen big bang theory. there is no strong pull from that quarter.

apparently, young sheldon is ending. i could possibly win some points with that circle by pointing them to big bang theory and maybe distract them long enough from getting me to watch it that they forget about it.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
My girlfriend loves Young Sheldon. I hate it. She knows not to play it when she is over. I don't want to watch an autistic child during my home hours.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

word.

according to a tv show article, sheldon becomes a giant dickhead in bbt. maybe i should look for some other counter-recommend to give them.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

another circle sent me the trailer for fallout.

amazon studios introduced itself as "the company that brought you free 2-day shipping." i don't know if they're being coy or wearing the figurative paper sack over their head.

it had the old timey music, ghouls, and that brand of, i guess you could say retrofuturism. bet reddit nerds have consolidated a list of at least 20 major grievances.

might give episode 1 a shot when out. if it's anything like the game, the plot will deviate and get lost in a tangle of sidequests, like game of thrones, i guess.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
I think video game movies and television are the next big thing since Marvel and Star Wars have been mined to death.

Or it could all be a bust since nerds are a fickle bunch. I haven't watched the trailer yet. I didn't get past the fourth episode of Last of Us either.

My Netflix subscription is basically a Seinfeld subscription. The sun never sets in Jerry and friends in my home.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6707|Oxferd Ohire
Aren't we in the middle of video game adaptations being the next big thing? Halo, the last of us, Mario, soon to be fallout, Zelda movie announced.
Five nights at Freddy's but that was in dev hell

Also Arcane and Cyberpunk

Last edited by RTHKI (2023-12-04 10:58:11)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
Yes but we don't have the equivalent of a Video Games MCU vs DCU thing.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard