unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

GRRM is also American.

Well, that gives this forum an American giving UK kudos for something they didn't make, on top of a European sarcastically thanking Americans for something we didn't make.
uziq
+492|3422
i'm also pretty nonplussed by the surprise over britain being able to make a 'good' cultural product, lol. we invented the fantasy genre. britain might be a sunken stone on the world stage thesedays, economically, but we still punch well above our weight in terms of cultural 'soft power'. aren't americans all hooked on kitsch period dramas and sub-gossip-level series about the royal family, etc.? we aren't a shipbuilding or exporting nation anymore but we can fucking make good tv shows, movies and music, lol.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Just keep doing that and don't put the world under your foot again, thanks.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6707|Oxferd Ohire

SuperJail Warden wrote:

What I liked so much about House of Dragon:

(1) Season 1 has a few time jumps. The whole history of the show covers something like 30 years. This is really cool since you get to see the foundations of the war. GoT eventually got around to explaining all of this but it is different when you actually see it take place. And the writers were pretty good at making this the whole thing a tight family drama.

(2) The show has a big theme about generations changing and how the choices we make affect the people we care about. The time jumps and keeping the story tightly focused on a small group of characters helps. Spoiler (highlight to read):
Watching the children of the main characters continue their parents rivalry but without the understanding that they are a family even if troubled and flawed is especially great. Doubly if you have you have ever dealt with kids. Children don't understand context like adults do. That part of the story feel very real and is well done.

RTHKI, you have read the books?
I read fire and blood 2 years ago apparently. Thought it was o k and remember none of it
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
I ordered the mass market paperback of Fire and Blood. I have no interest in reading the whole thing but I will read the 200ish pages of the Dance of Dragons since I rather spoil the show on my own terms rather than have someone spoil it for me.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6687|Riva, MD
I just finished the 1st season of Yellowstone last night.  Super interesting story, and Kevin Costner's crazy daughter is hot as shit whenever she gets nekkid.  Also top-tier gun sounds.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
I saw articles for it and it sounds like shit. I am as eager to watch a show about people in the Great Plains as I am sure they are to watch a show about women living in Brooklyn.
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6687|Riva, MD
I recommend trying at least the pilot episode if you can.  It's nothing that's gonna blow your fucking mind, but it's at least fairly interesting.  It kind of gave me Justified vibes with the whole California carpetbagger thing.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX
Grinding through Farscape at the moment.

Its low budget and the the writing is a bit weak, but conceptually it has some interesting stuff, and some of the actors outshine the sets by a considerable margin.

Mainly because I used to watch snippets back in the UK, after a hard day of not being a hipster I'd knock off about 10pm and watch whatever was on, sometimes it was Scrubs, sometimes Farscape, and I feel I should watch it through.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

When someone words watching a show as a "grind," I don't feel particularly sold. Then again, parts of Lexx felt like a bit of a grind and I'd still recommend a look just for the weird factor.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
My whole life is a grind.

There are lots of shows which I've looked forward to when they were on at a fixed time once per week and if the timer on the video didn't work you were buggered.

Now cranking through the menus on Foxtel feels like being an oarsman on a Roman trireme.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Better Farscape than Cats I guess.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Cats will always be a standalone masterpiece.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

I'll grant at most that some people think the stage play is fun, and that it's sometimes a gateway into that world. This bigscreen adaptation though was ruinous, unnecessary, and just not well conceived for reasons already exhausted here. There's probably better fanfictions on the web pitting Mister Mistoffelees against Goku. Or the adventures of Space Jellicles beyond the Heaviside layer.
uziq
+492|3422

Dilbert_X wrote:

Cats will always be a standalone masterpiece.
i mean, it's literally an adaptation of a book of poetry, but, yeah, of all the accolades to give it ... it's a 'standalone' masterpiece alright.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

There's probably better fanfictions on the web pitting Mister Mistoffelees against Goku. Or the adventures of Space Jellicles beyond the Heaviside layer.
Did any of the multiple Star Wars extensions add anything at all.

Cats should be left where it is - in perfection.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6707|Oxferd Ohire
They added tons. Was any of it good, no.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Dilbert_X wrote:

Cats should be left where it is - in perfection.
Yet you're fine with the fan-fiction they made of it.

RTHKI wrote:

They added tons. Was any of it good, no.
I'm surprised dilbert had to ask. I thought he was into comic book stuff. Nerds lost their minds over lore introduced by the prequels alone. Even the special editions, "Han shot first!" or whatever.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6707|Oxferd Ohire
I figured he knows they added stuff and it was trash but I can't pass on an opportunity to call the sequels trash.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
HBO cancelled Westworld. Beyond justified.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

They're also removing it from HBO Max, I hear. One reason I'm not enamored of streaming services. Give me a hard copy so this shit doesn't happen. I'll happily deal with wear & tear over wondering whether Amazon will delete a show I bought, or getting into a streaming service for a show that gets removed later on.

I guess the later seasons don't even have physical copies, lmao RIP. Up in smoke.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

What is the benefit of removing it from the streaming service? Assuming they aren't selling the rights to another streaming service, and that they aren't releasing it on physical media, what does not hosting it achieve? Is it really a hosting/storage cost that'd driving that decision?
uziq
+492|3422
probably to deny paying out residuals.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

A whole Batman movie was made and ready to go and then just spontaneously deleted. I'd feel pretty salty having been on that project.

Westworld's being moved to the ad-supported streaming service, I hear.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
The Discovery-Warner Brother deal has been a disaster from start to finish. The new corporation lost over half of it's market cap since the merger went through. The company has something like $50 billion of debt. Impossible situation. Disney is actually down 15% over 5 years which is exceptionally bad too.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard