SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
I wanted to show my kids the play Hamilton. I could have sworn I bought the play on Amazon Prime so I could show it forever. I don't see it in my purchased list anymore.

I just showed it last December. It turns out Disney yanked it from all platforms except Disney Plus. I can't even buy it on Google or Amazon.

Absolutely awful decision. A true disservice. I am not going to buy Disney Plus just to show them this play. I am just not going to show it anymore.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6707|Oxferd Ohire
Just pirate it
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

This has happened to people before. Just contact Amazon if it's on your orders and they'll probably refund you the amount. That's at least one thing Amazon seems to do right.

My pet peeve about it is I might impulse buy a movie to watch later, then forget I have it, then it might quietly disappear from my library never to be thought about again? This is why I like hard copies even if physical media wears out and takes up space. Sorry, Gates.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2022-11-22 07:08:11)

lil_droo
+19|1465
Isn't that legit illegal. How can they disappear something that u paid for
gang shit
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

I guess because digital 'property' is just a license that can be revoked. The owners of the material can withdraw the rights from Amazon, or a video game company can yoink the license from a player. Very draconian stuff. Consumer protections need to start catching up imo.
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6260|Washington St.
Buy physical copies
Upload to your personal server (plex)
Donate physical copy to local library for anyone else to rent/watch
Watch whenever you want
???
(moral) Profit
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689

pirana6 wrote:

Buy physical copies
Upload to your personal server (plex)
Donate physical copy to local library for anyone else to rent/watch
Watch whenever you want
???
(moral) Profit
I did track down a physical copy of a 911 Documentary made by the History channel.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/102_Min … 20attacks.

I digitized it and have it on a hard drive. It is what I show the kids whenever we get to 911. The history channel doesn't even have the documentary on stream AFAIK.
Larssen
+99|1857
I decided I wanted to become politically active again and applied for a position in a policy team of a political party.

I was rejected on the following basis: they did not doubt my interests and motivation but my profile doesn't match their 'stringent diversity and parity requirements' (my age, city of residence). They didn't mention it but I'm certain male/female balance and lhbtiq+ was in the picture too.

What the fuck lol. I went to a couple meetups and read the team profiles, I'm pretty certain I'd be the only person with actual policy & strategy experience at both cabinet and supranational levels. I'd think having me on board would be rather useful...

I like the party but I really cannot fucking stand the surface level diversity and inclusion stuff that ends up focused solely on parity based on gender and sexual preferences. Or the notion that a political party needs to be outwardly representative of society as a whole or some shit. I looked up their membership stats; 75% is male, yet 50% of policy and board positions are occupied by women, and there's a quota for gay people too.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Did they actually ask you what your sexual orientation is? Even in America that's an iffy line of questioning for an employer.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689

Larssen wrote:

I went to a couple meetups and read the team profiles, I'm pretty certain I'd be the only person with actual policy & strategy experience at both cabinet and supranational levels. I'd think having me on board would be rather useful...
I feel that. A local board of education election I helped with resulted in the least qualified candidates winning. I think the election largely came down to the positions on the ballot and how people's names were spelled.

A 19 year old beat a 30 year old Wall St. executive who promised to balance the budget by adding revenue instead of cutting and seeking private contributions. Big promise by the banker but he certainly was qualified enough to try.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Strong chance I may have lost another internet friend because I didn't gush over a a stupid video game they wanted me to buy. This would be the second time for exactly this reason, and feels about as jarring and bizarre as the first when that happened over ten-ish(?) years ago.

My cup runneth over with digital copies of things. I think I'm entitled, even obligated, to be more discerning and cagey about new additions to my collection. How do I even respond when met with hostility at my saying I'd probably hold off and wait for a big sale? Like, I wasn't told there would be a test. I should honestly be relieved at this point (I saw hints of this coming), but it's still an empty feeling.

If it weren't for the fact that there are still people I like in my gaming circles, I'd close all my accounts and stick to novels. I have a backlog of those I'd rather get to than Murder Guy 9 from the last Humble Bundle.
uziq
+492|3422
how old are you guys? losing friends over video games? lol wtf.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Holy shit, you're right, how old am I? Am I stuck in some time vortex?

I was in my late 20s the first time around and it freaked me out, like getting flushed back to a middle school spat. That guy was older, but not like dilbert-gap. How does this happen like 10 years later, and with a person I maybe play 10 hours of multiplayer with a year? Completely bonkers. Bro wished me a happy Thanksgiving just the other day, then delivered his not-an-ultimatum today.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

I'm trapped in a 90s sitcom. Send stereotypical, era-appropriate items.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX

Larssen wrote:

I decided I wanted to become politically active again and applied for a position in a policy team of a political party.

I was rejected on the following basis: they did not doubt my interests and motivation but my profile doesn't match their 'stringent diversity and parity requirements' (my age, city of residence). They didn't mention it but I'm certain male/female balance and lhbtiq+ was in the picture too.

What the fuck lol. I went to a couple meetups and read the team profiles, I'm pretty certain I'd be the only person with actual policy & strategy experience at both cabinet and supranational levels. I'd think having me on board would be rather useful...

I like the party but I really cannot fucking stand the surface level diversity and inclusion stuff that ends up focused solely on parity based on gender and sexual preferences. Or the notion that a political party needs to be outwardly representative of society as a whole or some shit. I looked up their membership stats; 75% is male, yet 50% of policy and board positions are occupied by women, and there's a quota for gay people too.
Ha ha so no doubt an organisation pushing for mandatory tolerance and inclusion is intolerant and exclusive.

You should sue, see what the reasoning is "we're a small organisation, you can't expect us to follow every rule, white people don't belong here, straight white males make people uncomfortable, we would have to build a new bathroom"
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

I'm still kind of creeped out by the gay quota. How do they go about determining that? Is it on an application form? Just straight up ask? What if someone's closeted but goes ahead and says to give themselves a better shot? Do they at least shred the evidence? What happens if it leaks out to their relatives? Has anyone ever said they weren't, but $20 is $20?

Imagine interviewing someone for a position and you're like "uh, hey, so you wouldn't happen to be transgender would you, because we kind of need those right now." As grateful for the job as they'd be, it's probably quite mortifying to be picked out like that. Moving to a different area to start life afresh … as the "organization tranny." Shudder.

Left and progressive political parties imo should be focused on giving themselves the best chances to win against the far right. Inclusiveness needs to start being handled earlier on, anyway. Give everyone regardless of wealth, location, gender, sexual orientation, and ethnicity equal opportunity to learn what they need for success, so they don't need a leg up in the workplace beyond the usual battery of anti-discrimination law.
Larssen
+99|1857
The party has internal lhbti and women's networks and I suppose they recruit directly from there. Mentioning activism for women or gender rights on your resume is probably telltale too.

The point I'd make though is that it's impossible and undesirable to make a political party's representation a 1:1 mirror to society. Besides, it's just stupid to reject more than qualified people because of rigid rules like there being a maximum of X spots available for Y gender. It's all volunteer effort. Even professionally It's a sort of Trudeau-ism. Diversity for appearance's sake.

The idea though that a group which represents a certain set of ideas that will draw certain segments of the population is enforcing diversity quotas to mirror society is just stupendous. It's not your job to simulate the entirety of democracy in your party nor can you. You want society and democracy as a whole to be diverse and inclusive. Other identity groups can and will (and should) organise in other political movements. Your movement is just one representation among many.

I didn't see any poorer middle eastern immigrants at the meetups, just to name one voter segment. Clearly advertising and enforcing diversity and inclusion just seems to draw in a whole lot of other white europeans who end up infighting over women's and lhbti representation. Meanwhile there's very little difference among them in either socioeconomic class, level of education, cultural background.. none of which would be a problem if you didn't insist you're oh-so-diverse-and-inclusive. Be the change! But we'll forget about poor and brown people along the way.

Last edited by Larssen (2022-11-24 02:20:54)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Lip service.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX

Larssen wrote:

The party has internal lhbti and women's networks and I suppose they recruit directly from there. Mentioning activism for women or gender rights on your resume is probably telltale too.

The point I'd make though is that it's impossible and undesirable to make a political party's representation a 1:1 mirror to society. Besides, it's just stupid to reject more than qualified people because of rigid rules like there being a maximum of X spots available for Y gender. It's all volunteer effort. Even professionally It's a sort of Trudeau-ism. Diversity for appearance's sake.

The idea though that a group which represents a certain set of ideas that will draw certain segments of the population is enforcing diversity quotas to mirror society is just stupendous. It's not your job to simulate the entirety of democracy in your party nor can you. You want society and democracy as a whole to be diverse and inclusive. Other identity groups can and will (and should) organise in other political movements. Your movement is just one representation among many.

I didn't see any poorer middle eastern immigrants at the meetups, just to name one voter segment. Clearly advertising and enforcing diversity and inclusion just seems to draw in a whole lot of other white europeans who end up infighting over women's and lhbti representation. Meanwhile there's very little difference among them in either socioeconomic class, level of education, cultural background.. none of which would be a problem if you didn't insist you're oh-so-diverse-and-inclusive. Be the change! But we'll forget about poor and brown people along the way.
Yes, they want minorities but not minorities
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
uziq
+492|3422

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

i’m at an age where i purposefully demur or turn down relations with ‘gamers’. not a few girls out here on the dating apps have liked my profile, and if i see the usual ‘gamer chair, triple monitor setup’ thing in their pictures, or get the impression they twitch league of legends or something, then i swiftly swipe left. i am way too old to be hanging around with people with varicoloured hair who think wearing gaming merchandise as fashion is okay.

same thing if games come up in any sort of conversation thesedays. ‘oh yeah, i used to play a few, but not anymore’. i didn’t come out to this bar or coffee shop to discuss CS load outs my guy. people who are overly passionate about this stuff well into middle-age give off a weird smell.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

100% of people talk to on Steam at least on the semi-regular are old internet friends, or people I befriended IRL. I knew this person since at least the late aughts? What a strange day, I hope they weren't having a stroke or something.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
What did they say to you? Did they say we aren't friends anymore?
https://www.happilyfamily.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/What-to-do-when-a-child-hits-another-child.png
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

i’m at an age where i purposefully demur
I'm almost never in a position where gaming comes up naturally in a conversation with anyone but the people I mentioned above. It's a conversational handicap with anyone who isn't in on the hobby. Who wants to be 'the gamer' of a social circle, especially when the next mass shooter is reported to have once played a video game.

@mac pretty much as I've said above, I don't really need to paraphrase further. it was uncomfortable and random enough.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2022-11-24 18:36:37)

Larssen
+99|1857

uziq wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

i’m at an age where i purposefully demur or turn down relations with ‘gamers’. not a few girls out here on the dating apps have liked my profile, and if i see the usual ‘gamer chair, triple monitor setup’ thing in their pictures, or get the impression they twitch league of legends or something, then i swiftly swipe left. i am way too old to be hanging around with people with varicoloured hair who think wearing gaming merchandise as fashion is okay.

same thing if games come up in any sort of conversation thesedays. ‘oh yeah, i used to play a few, but not anymore’. i didn’t come out to this bar or coffee shop to discuss CS load outs my guy. people who are overly passionate about this stuff well into middle-age give off a weird smell.
The idea that you're now too old to enjoy games and hastily avoid the topic is much weirder tbh. Alright, you don't need to dye your hair blue and put on cosplay outfits of your favourite gaming hero or date twitch streamers. The mid to late 20s girls with varicoloured hair who stream LoL professionally in skimpy cosplay probably have a multitude of other issues underlying their, uhm, careers, though.

I quit gaming for about 8 years and picked up a new xbox series x this year. I have no shame in the fact that I played through and enjoyed RDR2 in my spare time, or in that I play forza 5 a few hours every now and then. I can watch twitch and gaming culture from afar and find it mildly amusing. And I don't mind talking about any of that at all.

I don't have any people passionate about gaming in my social circles - we have completely different lives. but I'm not consciously avoiding them like they're crack addicts, christ.
uziq
+492|3422
where did i say i can't enjoy games? i said that i don't want to date people who make it their entire identity and hobby. korea attracts a lot of these 'streamer' types who come here to sit in an RGB cave all the time farming twitch followers. i don't want to hang around with those people.

i do generally follow the old line about "when i became a man, i put away childish things". a bit of biblical wisdom. of course, play and being able to be silly are integral to human behaviour, adult or not. i do play and i can be very silly with my friends or romantic partners. but the 'gamer' subculture is whiffy. it reeks of maladaptation and entitled adult babies. especially in these more 'politicised' times when seemingly nobody can just enjoy a hobby without having Strong Opinions Indeed. i don't even want to spend more than 15 minutes talking to a self-professed 'gamer' because i'm sure it won't be long until they mention 'woke politics' and 'EA putting lesbian girl characters in our shooting games' or whatever.

i never said you should be ashamed of playing games, again. i've posted here myself in the post-covid era about having an extremely nostalgic trip back onto WoW (no regratz) and of enjoying RDR2, too. we all had oodles of spare time, after all. but i'm not going back out into an adult social world to discuss fucking videogames. come on now.

'avoiding like crack addicts', lol. i said i swipe left when they come up on dating apps or like me. that's called having better options and better things to do, not hate speech. and we are talking in the context of newbie's very prickly and argumentative gamer friend. that is very definitely a Type. the person who plays games all day, makes it their identity, but also bitches and moans and is generally negative all the time about said hobby.

Last edited by uziq (2022-11-25 02:56:00)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard