unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Dilbert_X wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Do you think cultural influences, marketing, societal expectations/norms are insignificant? I think a lot of people have psychological issues and maldevelopments due to stupid rules placed on men and women.
Not insignificant, but there's plenty thats instinctive.

Now everyone is expected be gay, does no-one think of the effect of those pressures?
Instinctive? I'm sorry but is stuff like heels or pink vs. blue really instinctive? Were cavemen debating on whether it was proper to dress a baby boy in a floofy baby dress? (e: https://babyology.com.au/lifestyle/beau … ody-cared/ )

What do you mean everyone is expected to be gay? Make sense!

Why is it OK for you to think strict societal gender norms are "instinctive," but people diverging from traditional expectations are not?

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2022-11-06 01:38:14)

uziq
+492|3422
afaik the numbers of homosexuals having 'heteronormative' families is something less than a quarter. in the main, they are not 'reproductive'.

you should be thanking them.

and you still didn't answer the principal question. why do you even care? do you think about what your neighbours get up to in the bedroom?

dilbert: the rights of racists and sexists to free speech is sacrosanct! they should be able to say what they want!
also dilbert: the choice of holes that other people decide to put their genitalia in is a huge concern and society should take action. we should make sure that schoolteachers only conform to one single orientation and worldview.

Last edited by uziq (2022-11-06 01:47:40)

uziq
+492|3422

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Do you think cultural influences, marketing, societal expectations/norms are insignificant? I think a lot of people have psychological issues and maldevelopments due to stupid rules placed on men and women.
Not insignificant, but there's plenty thats instinctive.

Now everyone is expected be gay, does no-one think of the effect of those pressures?
Instinctive? I'm sorry but is stuff like heels or pink vs. blue really instinctive? Were cavemen debating on whether it was proper to dress a baby boy in a floofy baby dress? (e: https://babyology.com.au/lifestyle/beau … ody-cared/ )

What do you mean everyone is expected to be gay? Make sense!

Why is it OK for you to think strict societal gender norms are "instinctive," but people diverging from traditional expectations are not?
'instinct' is one of those wooly terms that, in certain circles, should be a red flag.

very little empirical evidence, or, you know, scientific data to back up half of this stuff.

'i'm racist becoz instincts'. sorry, not good enough.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX

uziq wrote:

we should make sure that schoolteachers only conform to one single orientation and worldview.
Well apparently its OK if they only conform to the LGBTIQ+ worldview.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Lmao, here we go again. "The Gay Agenda." Shuffle your papers, Rush.

What an awful worldview that is: to not want to be beaten to death by someone "overtaken by queer panic," to be able to marry with the same rights as hetero couples, to be able to use a public restroom without being hassled.

Natal women outside of the usual feminine frame or attire get stopped outside the ladies' room by angry men. Sometimes physically. "Hey, where do you think you're going?" It's awful, creepy, and more than a little rapey.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Maybe we can talk about stuff we bought before this stretches out to like 3 pages. "Male brain," lmao.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Did I say I was thinking about a tool sharpener?

I think I need one.
https://tormek.com/images/200.55b8117718093b4285f17b3b/1653905212139/Tormek%20T-4%20Original_800x800.jpg
https://tormek.com/en/products/sharpeni … 4-original

Shed's getting a bit packed though.
uziq
+492|3422

Dilbert_X wrote:

uziq wrote:

we should make sure that schoolteachers only conform to one single orientation and worldview.
Well apparently its OK if they only conform to the LGBTIQ+ worldview.
what is that worldview? tolerance for all lifestyles? how terrible.

news flash: gay people aren’t waging a crusade against straight people.

and what are you even saying, haha. most teachers are not gay or trans. ‘only conform to’.

would it be better if teachers were intolerant and promulgated hatred and suspicion?

why do you want everyone to be as bitter and crippled as you? genuine question. most of your animus and seething seems to be targeted at people who are just getting on with their lives.

i say give the kids a chance, man! becoming one of the dilberts of this world is not a sad inevitability.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

How do you not already have a power sharpener, dilbert? Where's your male brain been?

Dauntless
Admin
+2,249|6712|London

Man I loved watching Home Improvement as a kid, haven't seen it in years

Tim the tool man Taylor was my role model

Probably thanks to him I have a whole set of DeWalt power tools that I barely ever use.
https://imgur.com/kXTNQ8D.png
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

It's too bad Tim Allen is such a massive dickhead. You'd think a drug dealing, drunk driver who thinks the world's out to get him would have range, but no. I have to laugh at him popping onto conservative programs and talking about how our laws need to be tougher or whatever he does on there, lmao. Keep dropping those n-bombs, my exceedingly vanilla, clearly-not-a-racist dude.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

How do you not already have a power sharpener, dilbert? Where's your male brain been?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rNjzSga6yE
I have a bench grinder obviously, dur, but grinding then lapping chisels is tedious and doesn't produce a perfect result.
A lapping machine is the answer.
Its about time I had a clearout, then I'll have space.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Are you at a point where you could retire from your engineering job and just make decks and cabinets or something?
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6261|Washington St.
He could move to new york and complain about the homeless people
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Are you at a point where you could retire from your engineering job and just make decks and cabinets or something?
If I could stop the prevarication my shed wood carving business could pay my way, probably.
I could take ~1/3rd of the world market, and do a better job than the competitors.

Otherwise:

I could live pretty comfortably for ~10-15 years just burning cash
With a middling investment return I could make it 20-30, probably. 50% return, 50% cash burn does fall off a cliff eventually.
With a side business, middling investment return and no cash burn could live almost indefinitely.
Including family wealth - and there's no certainty there at all - I'd have to be mad to not have quit 10 years ago.

Working gets me out of the house, free coffee, free AC, disposable cash, each year working puts away enough for another year of not working and takes me a year further, I don't even have to work too hard if I don't feel like it, endless ego-stroking gets a bit tiring though.

Also I don't really want to be that guy who bobs up after 10-15 years to say "Uh yeah, I got my sums wrong and need some money. Adjusting for inflation a fair rate for an HTML coder is ~$250/hr right? I have my own 486 and a hacked copy of HoTMetaL Pro, I'll start Monday OK?"
Its useful to keep up to date, and if I take 3-6 months between jobs its nicely tax-effective.

Otherwise unless Emperor Xinping dies he's going to pull a Putin and do something far nastier within the next five years so its all moot.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Could probably say you got bored in your retirement if you ever returned to it.

I just brought it up because you always seem so annoyed at the office life.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Current job is OK, no shortage of morons but fixing their mistakes is paying my wage at present.

OTOH I've done reasonably well from the sharemarket in the last 12 years, if I went all in and maintained my non-stellar trajectory I'd be fine.
The smart thing to do would be to devote far more of my energy to that.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2022-11-09 01:53:27)

KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

Bought an iPad Air for the gf. Hope she likes it! Debated getting the iPad Pro but I didn't want to spend the extra $$
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Fine gift. I'd probably select the Pro for myself (for starters, better local storage), but definitely wouldn't object to a free Air.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Dilbert_X wrote:

Did I say I was thinking about a tool sharpener?

I think I need one.
https://tormek.com/images/200.55b8117718093b4285f17b3b/1653905212139/Tormek%20T-4%20Original_800x800.jpg
https://tormek.com/en/products/sharpeni … 4-original

Shed's getting a bit packed though.
And done, maybe $900 - plus the extras - is a bit steep for a chisel sharpening system but with time saved it should pay its way pretty quickly.

And if I do other people's tools at $1 a tool I only have to do 900 and its paid for itself.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

How much does a replacement stone cost? I mean obviously you can maintain it to last a really long time unless it breaks apart or something. Also wear to the tool's motor itself.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Should last a while
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Nice addition anyway. I've got a work space out back but it's mostly countertop and not a lot of floorspace. Wish I could get my family to take better care of their own stuff. Would make me feel better when I (grudgingly) loan out tools that they won't just get left sitting in the rain and sun. I've bought so many tarps and hammers, keeping cheap stuff for the loaners now. Some plastic bins I absolutely don't want back.

fwp
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6707|Oxferd Ohire

SuperJail Warden wrote:

you don't need to read. go watch cars go in circles
F1 TV sub to put old races on while I edit photos
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
Watch Game of Dragons instead