Larssen
+99|1857

uziq wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

uziq wrote:

he doesn't need the throne. he's worth 2x the net worth of king charles already. richest parliamentarian by quite a margin, richest parliamentarian possibly ever.

and don't worry, he'll be out in 1–2 years and moving to america to claim american citizenship with his green card. that has always been his end-game, a plum board position somewhere on wall street making maximal money. he's already spent long stretches of his life in santa monica and at stanford business school.
politics just seem to be a funsies job for him.
it's the usual 'cabinet or PM -> board member sinecure' pipeline.

a lot of these modern banker-cum-politician technocratic types have this very ambition. do a few years as a chancellor or deputy PM and become a senior wall street or silicon valley figure. sunak's whole life in california would certainly suggest that he has a nick clegg path in mind: a few years in downing street, followed by a global lead role at facebook and 7 figure yearly salary.

now he's made the very top job, he can probably do one better and get on the lecturing and public circuit. 6 or 7 figures per engagement. he can spend the next 20 years of his (young) life telling roomfuls of management consultants and bankers exactly what they want to hear, from menlo park to martha's vineyard.
I mean for all things to dislike about Sunak I don't think he was that insincere or duplicitous in his political ambition.

If you want a 7 figure job there are easier, and more anonymous, ways to go about it than to thrust yourself in the political limelight and try your luck at having a home address on downing street. While it's not a meritocratic pursuit it's objectively hard. Had Sunak wanted the board member job he could've just looked coyly in the direction of his wife's dad. Having been chancellor already set him up for life too.

No, he really wanted to be PM and is probably stupid enough to stand for reelection in 2 years. Doesn't make it better.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
I am involved with local politics. Like all the way at the bottom but doing the work I need to do. It is actually a lot of fun. Getting dressed up, going to dinners, hearing speeches, meeting important people. Makes you feel good. Don't underestimate how much the guy enjoys the game of it compared to looking at spreadsheets or whatever it is you do in business.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

arm mount I was looking at for my wacom tablet costs more than the wacom tablet. smh
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

It's been about a half a year now. Am I allowed to lodge another FWP complaint about light pollution? The solutions of tacky bits of cardboard and tape, or sleeping with something on your face work but are unideal. Even with no electronics in your room, the glow permeates the house and you have to close your door and toss an old pair of jeans to block light out from seeping past the gap underneath.

LED/LCD lights for most consumer products should at least have an off switch of some kind. Maybe automated for low ambient light levels on premium products. Bad enough when so many are on even in sleep mode, even worse when they blink. Get that shit outta here. Power outage last night was like 30 seconds of dark, silent, pure relief.

Also, screw porch lights installed by DIY neighbors. You shouldn't force people around you into WW2 blackout curtains.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2022-11-05 17:57:44)

pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6260|Washington St.
The lights from the router in the bedroom closet are annoying when I'm trying to fall asleep. The lights on the gfs electric toothbrush are downright maddening. Why does a toothbrush need lights?

Surely every engineer looks at this and says "does it need a light" and every marketing team says "yes of course" and that's the end of it.

We need to make a stronger push to remove lights from things.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

My router has a lights-off switch, but it only turns most of the lights off.

It's just not good ergonomics. LED indicators should be about power, change, and warning. There's also no reason to use ones that are like a supernova in people's retinae in what's supposed to be an ordinary household object. Everything else is pretty much decorative and should have a toggle or at least a dimmer.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX
Maybe people could buy smoked plastic covers - like they put over their fucking brake lights so you can't tell when they're braking - looks supercool I guess.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

In my experience, some of the dust covers just spread the glow entirely across each exposed facet.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I'm thinking also of the people who put after-market single-tint lenses on then 'forget' they need coloured bulbs to go with them.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Aftermarket light kit on vehicles is a plague. Nobody installs that shit properly and it always ends up blinding me in the wee hours. I hate night driving. Also talking to you, neighbor with the 12-billion lumen porchlight a block away.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6707|Oxferd Ohire
Used to hate aftermarket and half of new car lights. Think it was lack of sleep personally. Now I can stand em but still can't see anything. Fun times in deer country
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6260|Washington St.
If you had to choose your neighbor to have aftermarket lights that blinded you or an aftermarket exhaust that woke up the dead, which would you choose?

I can kinda understand the lights, but only if you live in the backcountry and actually need them (nobody in the city ever does), but why would you ever want to make yourself louder? Who do you need to attract?
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6707|Oxferd Ohire
Prolly the lights.
Neighbor got a dog that has woken me up anywhere from midnight on barking to get inside. Only thing that wakes me up and I hate it. Told them, we'll see how that goes.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

Loud exhausts are so fucking annoying.

Fuck them neighbors. Pretty sure my HOA does not allow dogs outside overnight lol
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

You would have to drag me kicking and screaming into HOA living. If I want to paint my place neon green and have solar panels over every inch of my roof, I don't want some self-important busybody making a stink about it.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6686

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Loud exhausts are so fucking annoying.

Fuck them neighbors. Pretty sure my HOA does not allow dogs outside overnight lol
fuck you, enjoy the nice sounds from my car. it also gets attention of pedestrians pretty effectively.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

RTHKI wrote:

Used to hate aftermarket and half of new car lights. Think it was lack of sleep personally. Now I can stand em but still can't see anything. Fun times in deer country
Many new car lights are stupid, very hard to see if someone is braking or indicating.

Volvo did all the research in the 70s, there used to be national standards but they all seem to have been thrown out.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2022-11-12 00:01:42)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

It feels like some of these manufactures are reinventing the wheel a bit too much. Blinkers, brake, reverse, segmented in a layout where it's quickly and easily readable. How is it so difficult.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Whats happened is stylists have been let loose on important stuff.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Eh, proper design takes ergonomics heavily into account when designing an object that people interact with. I would question other influences.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6707|Oxferd Ohire
Also yellow > white/blue
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Need a new heater. Almost as cold inside as outside. Having to type with gloves on feels like jogging with concrete blocks tied to my ankles.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

I've been running the heater for about the last week or so. Getting cold at night, especially with no carpet in the house.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

No carpet here either apart from rugs. It's like -4c and I haven't been gaming. Dressing warm! Really should drop by the hardware store though and at least pick up a little one for my room.
lil_droo
+19|1465

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

I've been running the heater for about the last week or so. Getting cold at night, especially with no carpet in the house.
Don't u live in coastal OC. Bro it's way too mild for a heater down there. I never use a heater in the valley, rather just dress warm and close the windows. Even at my mom's house I hardly use the heater unless it's a cold snap in the low 30s or 20s. Dries out your sinuses
gang shit

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard