uziq
+492|3422
the timeline is really funny.

he agreed to buy twitter at a fixed price per stock.

when the news first broke, twitter’s stock value plunged. he’d essentially committed himself to overpaying like 20% just based on the dive in stock prices alone. to say nothing of the actual business’s balance sheet as a working operation.

after a protracted (and costly, and set to only get more and more expensive) legal battle, which he promptly dropped when he realised the courts were not fucking around and wanted a look inside his actual business affairs, he agreed to fulfill his commitments. 

he then turns up, and fires everyone who has been working for years on trying to transform twitter into a profit-making entity (a victory for dilbert because a few of them had indian names), and the people who were well-versed at traversing the modern minefield of free speech laws and public communications.

that same day a bunch of his edgelord neckbeard autistic dweeb fanboys (hi again dilbert) took to twitter with wild abandon, posting every sort of abuse and hatred. appearances of the n-word on the platform increased 500%.

in response, musk, the genius and hero who is going to single-handedly save mankind by building hives on mars and guaranteeing ‘free speech’ on twitter, or something, announced plans for a ‘content moderation council’ or something. it’s almost as if … all the people he just rashly fired out of an act of impetuous ego-stroking narcissism … had been trying to address these very same things.

but he’s a real genius. a yuuuuuge genius. see proof in the pudding when he unbans his pal, donald trump, who is busy orchestrating an anti-democratic insurrection and encouraging people to hammer nancy pelosi to death.

a genius!!!
uziq
+492|3422
i also saw an hilarious story posted from twitter HQ. one of musk’s first actions as da bawssss, maybe to ‘assert dominance’ or whatever cod-scientific evo. biol. bullshit he’s been mainlining, encouraging him to have 40 children by every secretary and photo shoot assistant he meets … his first act was to ask all the software engineers to print off all the code on the things they’d been working on in the last few months. every. single. one. so that musk could ‘read and check their work’.

of course, musk doesn’t actually understand any of the code involved in a modern web platform like twitter. this is part of his ‘autistic genius’ act, like how he claims he’s intimately familiar with the science of EV tech and cutting-edge rockets.

the very same day the same engineers were quietly told to shred their stacks of printouts. musk clearly wasn’t going to audit, line by line, a bunch of code in a programming language he didn’t even know.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FgMfGhvUAAEc733?format=jpg&name=large

https://twitter.com/gergelyorosz/status … 7YLpvGAzYQ

turns out the real purpose of his autistic savant persona is to manoeuvre and fire people without severance pay. a genius !!!!!!

Last edited by uziq (2022-10-30 20:47:32)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

I read this too, sucks if you're one of the twitter people who will get screwed over without a golden parachute. Amazing that people of that same class or lower are still devoted Musk fanbois.

Very funny that he didn't even read it. Who the fuck asks for printed code, anyway? I can think of few things more violently boomer. You now own twitter. Get it in an email (at least).

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2022-10-30 20:46:40)

uziq
+492|3422
this is the guy whose only experience of coding to speak of was as a ‘chief technology officer’ (in a 3 person company), patching together a code base for early paypal. which was then totally overhauled and rewritten from the ground up when the operation expanded and they employed an actual programmer, as his work was essentially unfixable and illegible. oh and yeah … this was 25 years ago.

there are people on the record, in interviews, giving a play by play of this stuff as it unfolded in the pre-paypal days. but he still considers himself some sort of master programmer. it’s pathetic.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

The man subscribes to the notion that Pelosi's husband was beaten by a man-whore he picked up from a gay bar. I would not trust a hair's width of whatever passes for logic in his "code."
uziq
+492|3422
here’s his first genius idea.
https://twitter.com/alexeheath/status/1 … tMM0AawJUg

charge users $20 a month to have a blue tick for verified status.

amazing idea. start selectively charging 5% of your most influential users for the sake of being influential.

why didn’t twitter think of monetising their service like this before!
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

What a tyrant, honestly. "Rush it out on a week or I'll fire you all" because rushing ideas is a fantastic idea for software developers.

The real trick will be getting Trump to pay.
uziq
+492|3422
the master stroke is that most of the blue tick twitter power users are very ‘online’, meaning centre-left and liberal, and don’t actually like elon musk.

so now anyone who keeps a blue tick will be signalling that they’re paying a useless tax to a guy with distinctly whiffy politics.

seriously genius.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6686

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

I read this too, sucks if you're one of the twitter people who will get screwed over without a golden parachute. Amazing that people of that same class or lower are still devoted Musk fanbois.

Very funny that he didn't even read it. Who the fuck asks for printed code, anyway? I can think of few things more violently boomer. You now own twitter. Get it in an email (at least).
musk really loves his lawyers, he keeps generating work for them.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Asking for a bunch of printed code is like a boomer bringing a shoebox of printed receipts into an accountant's office. The whole thing is a joke.

This is the technologist mastermind of the future that so many incellectuals worship?
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
US productivity is on the decline and employees are less willing to ‘engage in hustle culture,' as 1 in 5 Americans admit to doing the 'bare minimum'
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/us-produ … 00240.html

This is unironically good news. If some people want to work less that leaves more opportunity for people who are ambitious. This really shouldn't upset anyone.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6654|United States of America
>Implying that effort is linked to outcomes

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689

DesertFox- wrote:

Of course life is very complicated but your mindset and how you approach things generally affects outcomes. If you are a sour bitch, of course you won't be happy.

The headline is conservative/doomer bait.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

rofl

Eli Lilly Stock Plummets After Parody Twitter Account Says Insulin is Now Free
https://www.entrepreneur.com/business-n … nts/439021

Musk, the genius.
uziq
+492|3422
there is something actually sort of poetic and beautiful about the idea that anyone with $8 can throw a hand grenade under the PR, brand image, and comms of multinational companies.

with the previous system, someone could use an autogenerated, anonymous apple ID email burner account, spend $8 using an untraceable virtual currency or bank account, and submit any old non-evidence as proof of identity (many people were registering for 'official' accounts using the address information of ... twitter HQ, rofl), and quickly be approved with a blue tick.

it's absolutely hilarious. organisations that have spent years cultivating a social media presence, companies who employ teams of half-a-dozen staff just to tweet and tiktok and manage facebook ... going into meltdown because some random person in a wood-panelled basement paid elon musk $8.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

https://i.imgur.com/CdoCJVn.jpg
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6686

uziq wrote:

there is something actually sort of poetic and beautiful about the idea that anyone with $8 can throw a hand grenade under the PR, brand image, and comms of multinational companies.

with the previous system, someone could use an autogenerated, anonymous apple ID email burner account, spend $8 using an untraceable virtual currency or bank account, and submit any old non-evidence as proof of identity (many people were registering for 'official' accounts using the address information of ... twitter HQ, rofl), and quickly be approved with a blue tick.

it's absolutely hilarious. organisations that have spent years cultivating a social media presence, companies who employ teams of half-a-dozen staff just to tweet and tiktok and manage facebook ... going into meltdown because some random person in a wood-panelled basement paid elon musk $8.
Hedge funds are so happy with this.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6686

DesertFox- wrote:

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6075|eXtreme to the maX

uziq wrote:

What was stupid was any respectable organisation or person ever getting involved with this stupid platform.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
uziq
+492|3422
yes clearly the problem is twitter and not elon musk’s disastrous leadership of it. twitter has always been this risky for brands, amirite?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
In a few years twitter will be a fading memory.

Amazing to think soon its user base will smaller than BF2S's
uziq
+492|3422
twitter was humming along nicely until musk came into the picture.

why a website has to last more than a decade to be worthy is as asinine a take as it is arbitrary.

your own idol made his first millions riding the wave off a website that nobody can even remember anymore. does it matter?

twitter has been incredibly consequential for many things, politically and socially. it won’t be relegated to a footnote of the internet. it typified online discourse for half a decade or more. entire protest movements and revolutions were facilitated by it. it’ll be studied in history for that reason alone. not bad going in a world as fast-paced as tech, internet culture especially.

im afraid you’re going to have to stop prevaricating and just own the fact that your model human being bought a company for $44 billion which he turned into an $8 billion company in the space of a month. not too bright.

Last edited by uziq (2022-11-12 01:16:30)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Maybe the plan is to collapse the value and sell it to Alex Jones for $1

In all seriousness things like this do happen, and with a supposed net worth of $188bn Musk can afford it.

Most of that $188bn is vapour, might as well use vapour to take over twitter and turn it into a Republican cheerleader.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2022-11-12 15:42:41)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
So a huge crypto exchange closed. Billions in coins missing. Tens of Billions more in value destroyed. I saw the Fortune.com headline about how apparently the management team were some 28 to 32 year old living together and have nerd orgies in a mansion in the Bahamas. What a life while it lasted. Bravo.

One of my friends from high school, why I even still follow him on Facebook I don't know, is big into crypto now. He owns a house, and a restaurant in Vegas so maybe he got in early though I also suspect his parents set him up. That said, the lifestyle of only talking about crypto on social media doesn't look fun. I saw a post by him the other day "Take all your coins off of the exchanges!" That's not a lifestyle I really want to be a part of.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Don't hand over your money to jews in exchange for a worthless token and the promise of 'massive gains'

Literally every generation in the last 4,000 years has had to learn this the hard way.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard