SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
I am at a work convention in Atlantic City. 2 hour drive each way πŸ’€
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

Why wouldn't you just stay there for the night/duration of the conference?

I have quarterly meetings in Pasadena and it's only a half day but I always book a room at the hotel it's held at. It's just the sane thing to do.
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6261|Washington St.
There's no catholic church in AC
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

That reminds me...Mac's on break already? How long is this November break? I was lucky to even get a full Thanksgiving week.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

The pussification of public school children.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

I read an anecdote today where a parent lost a run for school board to a 40yo man with no children who "wanted to bring god back to schools." I suppose he will save public schooling from itself, one bible at a time.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
I went to Atlantic City once.

Last edited by SuperJail Warden (2022-11-17 14:25:49)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
I helped coordinate a political event where a coworker's wife was one of the candidates we vetted and endorsed. The coworker said a big "Hi!" to me at the event. He was always rude and ignored me every other time I saw him at work. Today while having breakfast in the teacher cafΓ©, he comes up to me says hi and we have a 30 minute conversation about the election and other stuff.

Amazing how someone can treat you so differently when they know you could be an asset for them later. A drop of political work paying off professionally is something.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX
Why did you not ask for a bribe?
Русский Π²ΠΎΠ΅Π½Π½Ρ‹ΠΉ ΠΊΠΎΡ€Π°Π±Π»ΡŒ, ΠΈΠ΄ΠΈ Π½Π° Ρ…ΡƒΠΉ!
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Funny ol' job 'thread,' maybe down mac's alley (take?):

https://i.imgur.com/pCEaf72.jpg
https://imgur.com/gallery/1UT9drs

OP ( https://imgur.com/user/survivalmodeforthewin/comments ) has some context scattered around it. Admin on their side but scared of/crush on "main" teacher, who didn't "hurt" (I don't know what they mean by that) the student but is mad at OP for reporting it.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
I am going to need a recap.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

There was a lot of missing info in the comments earlier. Checked again and context was added:

Much milder than things she’s done in the past, as well.
5 hrReply

Tiny 6 yr old with Down Syndrome pinched her. She pinched the child back, tauntingly said, β€œIt hurts, doesn’t it,” & berated her for crying.
5 hrReply

She proudly admitted it in front of my whole work group.
6 hrReply

It means unions have no power in my state, so they’re useless.
6 hrReply

…Do you think it is ever okay to deliberately hurt a student?
6 hrReply
If true, seems a lot more clear now. But this is information that could have been included in the first place. Seems really bizarre. Even if parents gave permission, I'm not sure that's appropriate.

Par treatment for whistleblowers anyway, if that part's true.

Would help to know what state we're talking about but I don't feel like @ing someone on fake-reddit right now.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Mentioned before that I'm the go-to IT guy for the company. Bullet points:

• Person who refuses to take my IT advice seriously was about to brick their computer with free software because it turns out their obsolete version of word can't open a particular PDF much less edit it, and whatever license they have of Acrobat is expired.
  • The computer is also running slow "because of this software," but it's old and they're one of those power-surfers who keeps like 20 gajillion tabs and documents open. Everything slogs, all the time, which skews their view of what constitutes a slog. Diagnosis when it locks up: new software's fault.
  • They're currently using white-out and a pen to make changes to a printed document they need now. Talked about bringing a typewriter back in because "anything's better than this." There is no way I'm volunteering to help digitize and file that kind of paperwork if this comes to pass.
  • "Why didn't you get me before," I ask. "It just started a few minutes ago!" comes the reply. When I walked in the room there was a bunch of PDF websites open and an one of the software's install windows. They also had time to try using Word. "A few minutes" is probably more like two hours. It wasn't like I was unavailable.
  • "Send me the document and I can convert it into an editable format for you," I suggest. They don't want to sent me the document so I can convert it into an editable format. There's just no time! Much quicker to edit by hand, you see.
  • Massive rush of validation as so many things I said could go wrong if they don't authorize a workstation upgrade, are going wrong. Will be short-lived, because it will be business as usual as soon as this problem goes away.
  • After much grumbling about Adobe pricing and ignoring my advice on it, they're subscribing to Acrobat Pro for $20/mo. An updated copy of Office would be cheaper.

I love working with boomers sometimes. Today will be ammunition in case I get poked fun at for having a millennial ignorance of esoteric boomer knowledge. "Of course you're young, you won't remember this." "Of course you're old, this is beyond your ken."
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
My boomer story was from Ford, where the CAD designers were retrained drawing board draftsmen.

It was hard enough getting them to use computers and train up in basic CAD, then Ford switched CAD systems from PDGS to IDEAS, both shitty hard to use systems.
Due to demarcation engineers couldn't access the CAD system, didn't have workstations with the software loaded, couldn't easily dive in and check detail, eve though we did get basic CAD training.
After a major fuckup where parts literally didn't fit the vehicle I discovered my designer had secretly been drawing things up in PDGS, exporting to IDEAS and reassembling them - incorrectly so parts overlapped - because he couldn't get to grips with IDEAS.
That and having a big beery lunch every Friday and being more useless than normal every Friday afternoon, rolling around in his chair and making lewd comments to the secretary until it was time to go home.

Other designers were just and old and tedious "I need this changed" "Psssttsssss oh thats a hard one, at least a couple of weeks" "No I'll show you click click click there its done"

Probably the best one:

"We'd like this 30 page document in a different font, but we just don't have time to retype it. Help us Dilbert you're our only hope"

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2022-11-26 17:01:38)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Other designers were just and old and tedious "I need this changed" "Psssttsssss oh thats a hard one, at least a couple of weeks" "No I'll show you click click click there its done"
This resonates.

Also the font thing, although once my boomers know where it is in a new program they're good. Excel is problematic though. One liked to fake a spreadsheet-looking invoice in Word. Annoying to make document modifications without everything going haywire. I could probably make a small sum going from company to company teaching 60+ yos how to work the Office ribbon or whatever, and leaving instructions on paper.

I won't punch down too hard. Plenty are capable of learning this stuff, but are just opposed or were just burnt out in the Reagan 80s and don't have enough moments of clarity left in them. Maybe someday generation gamma or whatever will have a good laugh at me for not wanting to hook my brain up to a shopping app. Even now I'll just mumble something about maybe setting up my smartphone for payment later when asked, and then swipe plastic.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2022-11-26 17:43:20)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
The purchasing guy at my last company used to write stuff from SAP onto scraps of paper, retype into excel so he could perform operations on it, retype back into SAP, and used word tables for everything else - re-order them manually etc.

I blew his mind by converting everything into Excel with the correct layout so it could be copy-pasted between SAP and Excel.

In my current job the SAP coordinator is protecting his job and lining up post-retirement contact work by refusing to document anything at all.
If you need to learn a feature of SAP you need to
a) Find someone who already knows it
b) Schedule a training meeting
Which is basically systematised chinese whispers, and SAP is bad enough as it is.

A single page cheat sheet would be 10x more efficient but no.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2022-11-26 18:04:10)

KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

The boss who hired me left about a month ago. She called me last night to try to recruit me to her new company. Having been under the thumb of private equity for the last year after working for a public company for over 10 years prior, I can say with some perspective that I don't at all enjoy working for private equity haha.

The company she now works for is a fortune 500 (maybe 100?) company with what she says is a way better culture. Definitely more of a long term vision than trying to squeeze every last drop of profit out. I don't particularly enjoy moving roles so often, but I think I'd be stupid not to check it out.
Had my first interview this morning and it went very well. I had an invite for a second interview waiting in my inbox before I made it home. This one is a panel interview.

Reflecting on my work experience, I've built up quite a solid track record of recovering and righting poorly run businesses, which is exactly what I'd be stepping in to. I again believe the job is mine if I want it. Now they just have to pay me my fuckin money.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
My Monday morning.

Got to work an hour early, to beat the traffic caused by scheduling road closures for a car race in the centre of town and to set things up for a work experience student.

Took an hour to get my laptop working, windows borked my mouse and keyboard drivers, VPN system wasn't working at all, network asked me to log out and re-enter my credentials for no reason then locked me out, this all happened to a few other people. IT response "Uh, seems to be working now, let us know if it happens again"
Work experience student is an idiot who can't do high school geometry, calls basic algebra 'calculus', as a graduate engineer has not heard of Poisson's ratio, can't follow simple instructions.

"I'd like you to model these three scenarios and pick the optimum"
"I modelled this and it works!"
"How does it compare with the other two?"
"What?"
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

Panel interview is set for Monday. My old boss is leading the panel interview. This should be a slam dunk
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
It is important to take education seriously

Last edited by SuperJail Warden (2022-11-30 11:28:03)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

ilovethepoorlyeducated.gif
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
I am going to take an edible when I get home.

Last edited by SuperJail Warden (2022-11-30 11:27:29)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
Sitting in my gaming chair. I just finished a double cheeseburger and am on 80mg of marijuana. The problems of today don't seem too bad. I kind of feel bad about what I said after getting high and talking to my girlfriend. I decided I am going to pass him for the year. Be nice to him tomorrow too.

I will probably still mouth off to him from time to time (without reasonable bounds to not show up on the news) but otherwise I will pass him for the year. Also not send writeups and cuts. I would be unsurprised if the student comes to this understanding on his own.

I also decided to do something fun with the class. I have not decided what yet. Probably will put an indepdent work assignment up while they watch Dunkirk.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Don't feel too bad. IMO something some of these kids should hear at least once, that there are people who don't want them to get an education. Maybe your little speech shifted a rusty cog of realization somewhere, maybe not.

At the same time, they started out with a pacifier in one hand and a smart device in the other. The adults in the room have some 'splainin to do.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Panel interview is set for Monday. My old boss is leading the panel interview. This should be a slam dunk
Old boss refused herself because she was the one who recommended me. Probably the toughest interview I've ever had but I think I did well, and I got a thumbs up via text about a half hour after I got done, so I'm sure I did ok.

Now just waiting for an offer letter. Pray for me, mighty stewards of bf2s

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard