unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

We need a capable engineer to design an Enigma machine to decode Mandarin.
uziq
+492|3422

Dilbert_X wrote:

none of which prove it didn't come from a lab - a proof which is impossible.
master stroke. you can't prove god doesn't exist either – checkmate. when are you getting circumcised and marrying into the tribe, schlomo?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX
The simplest explanation is god doesn't exist

The simplest explanation is covid leaked from a lab
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
uziq
+492|3422
zero logic behind either of those statements but OK!
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Dilbert doesn't believe in a higher power, therefore covid is a chinese bioweapon. What don't you understand about that perfect logic?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Which is more likely:

The universe was created by the grand electric spaghetti monster who depends for his energy on people's thoughts and incantations.
Its some quantum thing

Covid 19 escaped from a cave, travelled thousands of miles directly to Wuhan without infecting anyone on the way, adapted itself to be transmissible to humans in a time never seen before in nature all by itself
It escaped from a lab which had adapted it to be extra transmissible to humans and had lax safety standards and was at the epicentre of the outbreak
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

The flying spaghetti monster? lmao

Do you need a wikihow on reading books?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Didn't say flying, that must be you projecting.
uziq
+492|3422

uziq wrote:

dilbert is a scientist. he is rational. he is a champion of STEM.

but he ignores multiple large-scale, longitudinal meta-studies on the origins of covid, peer-reviewed and published in top journals.

no, he likes 'investigative journalism' by humanities graduates posted in vanity fair, instead.

you couldn't fucking make it up if you tried. genuinely thick as a plank.
sorry, dilbert, but the real world is stochastic, emergent, and multivariate. it is a complex system.

the global disease burden is increasing, year on year. there are WHO reports on this, the last one published 2020. and a big component of that are increased numbers of zoonotic illnesses. ever increasing human population + vastly depleted wild habitats + ever bigger factory farming = a measurable, yearly increase in the numbers of animal->human crossovers. 1000s of scientists work on monitoring this. there are entire government agencies dedicated to identifying diseases in animal populations and exterminating them, where the risk to humans are high. did china drop the ball? absolutely. did they make a 'bioweapon' with, er, the intention of keeping themselves in lockdown for 5 years and kneecapping their economy? lol, ok.

your 'simple explanation' for covid is good stuff ... if you exist in a tom clancy novel or a dan brown codex of toilet paper.

unfortunately science has expended great effort in the last few years to ascertain the origins of covid. and the findings, based on oodles of evidence and patient study, contradict your 'occam's razor' explanation.

it's amazing that you're an educated guy but you can't analyse your way out of a cardboard box.

i'm just going to assume you have a hypertrophied intelligence for CAD and the rest of your thinking has rotted as a result.

Last edited by uziq (2022-11-06 00:10:40)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

sorry, dilbert, but the real world is stochastic, emergent, and multivariate. it is a complex system.
Yes, but its a binary question, did covid leak from a lab or not.

Once again its like having an anthrax outbreak just up the road from Porton Down, which just happens to coincide with a major panic at Porton Down, sudden wiping of all Porton Down's public data and the PM sending the health secretary to Porton Down to give them a personal written missive, whats the most likely explanation?
Probably an eagle ate an infected sheep in the Orkneys, flew over a farm near Porton Down and pooped in a pigs feeding trough which was then served up in the local pub as bacon sandwiches - its so obvious.

unfortunately science has expended great effort in the last few years to ascertain the origins of covid. and the findings, based on oodles of evidence and patient study, contradict your 'occam's razor' explanation.
Literally all the 'evidence' was developed opaquely by China, and 'science' has a vested interest in declaring it couldn't be the kind of lab they rely on for their work and want to carry on with no?

i'm just going to assume you have a hypertrophied intelligence for CAD and the rest of your thinking has rotted as a result.
Whereas you've never had any skill outside book reading have you?
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Dilbert_X wrote:

Didn't say flying, that must be you projecting.
Where the fuck else did you get spaghetti monster? It's not exactly an unknown meme.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
The grand electric lettuce was a meme before there were memes.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2022-11-06 00:27:04)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Are you high rn?
uziq
+492|3422

Dilbert_X wrote:

Literally all the 'evidence' was developed opaquely by China, and 'science' has a vested interest in declaring it couldn't be the kind of lab they rely on for their work and want to carry on with no?
last week you were proudly displaying china's own self-reported cases/deaths figures and lecturing me on how smart your zero covid proposals are.

so what is it? are they world-leading epidemiologists, contrary to every other nation's expert counsel, or are they dishonest supervillains trying to infect the world? make your mind up for once, you can't always have it both ways to score internet points on bf2s.

amazing that you think there is such a grand conspiracy to defend the wuhan lab that you think every scientist, globally, would lie to the public in order to defend it. 'vested interests'! do you really think an admission of a lab leak would 'end' gain-of-function research, worldwide? what in the fuck are you talking about, lmao.

yes, i read a lot. reading books is evidently a valuable skill, in comparison to your 'research abilities', which seem to consist of getting angry at whatever you see in the news/tabloids that week, and occasionally googling things and reporting things verbatim from wikipedia. wow, these indians and their antibiotic-resistant superbugs! on that subject, hey, did you know that india was ruled by some guys called the mughals?

https://cdn.theatlantic.com/thumbor/Er7vK5JSdS1voeQg05sL1C09Kmw=/80x16:1280x916/1200x900/media/img/mt/2014/09/The_More_You_Know/original.png

i do verily sincerely beseech thee: read a fucking book once in a while. using 'reading books' as an insult is very, very funny.

Last edited by uziq (2022-11-06 00:32:37)

uziq
+492|3422
15,000 new cases in beijing today and thus far no lockdowns this week. seems a different approach is emerging.

the problem is that china’s vaccination levels are still shit. people are utterly fatigued with their snap lockdowns and the constant stress of ‘zero covid’ for political face-saving. in effect, their draconian measures have only wearied the population as well as contributing to a low level of natural immunity in the populace. omicron is thus still dangerous there in a way that it isn’t in the west.

this is the crux of zero covid. at some point you have to relent or something has to give. and then a genuinely dangerous wave will come along, if you haven’t spent all of that lockdown time genuinely preparing your population. zero covid plus vaccine skepticism is a truly retarded position.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
China had it licked, the rest of the world failed.
uziq
+492|3422
china's economy is fucked, largely because of it, and the rest of the world isn't in the all-clear from whatever happens next there.

they never had it licked, you just very selectively believe their self-reported 'cases' when it suits you. despite the fact that their curve flattened from a realistic trajectory to a dead-flat 'all clear' and stayed that way for years ... lmao. another victory for the rational scientist brain, there.

their own population are rioting and storming barricades in southern cities. it's not licked. managing a pandemic, and epidemiology generally, is as much about crowd behaviour and mass psychology as it is about r-numbers and immunisation stats. and even the most cowed and boot-heeled population on earth have started to have enough.

as i said above, they didn't use their 'zero covid' time productively, the tide has been building up behind the levee, and it's about to break and wreak far more destruction on their society – in terms of economics and mortality – than if they'd just gradually got fucking used to it. but you won't accept that because it doesn't suit your narrative. your cherrypicked narrative courtesy of the ultra-open and honest CCP ... lmfaoooooo.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
It could have been killed off in Wuhan, but it escaped and has been swirling around ever since.

Now China can't hold back the tide from overseas, serves them right, I don't care.
uziq
+492|3422
here we go again! wow wow wow. no wonder you like marvel movies. the 476th sequel!

sorry dilbert, but you lose. you simply lose.

'if only they had somehow contained an ultra-transmissible, asymptomatic novel pathogen with a 2–3 week incubation period'.

you should care, because when the chinese economy hiccups, australia gets on its knees and starts unzipping their made-in-siaoxing selvage denim jeans. and you're gonna swallow what they have to give you.

Last edited by uziq (2022-11-16 05:10:32)

Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6686

Dilbert_X wrote:

It could have been killed off in Wuhan, but it escaped and has been swirling around ever since.

Now China can't hold back the tide from overseas, serves them right, I don't care.
you should blame the west for also being shit and blase about controls.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Thats EXACTLY what I've been saying since FOREVER
Try arguing with uziq.
uziq
+492|3422
i've certainly never denied that the UK and european governments didn't make catastrophic fuck-ups in their planning. i was living in the UK at the time, dealing with a lot of stress and the need to shield family members. i knew exactly what it was like to experience poor planning, mixed messaging, and policies that were reversed every other week, with little rhyme or reason.

i posted oodles at the time about europe's failures to contain the disease, it's failures to act as a bloc and to take meaningful action, even really a simple failure to fund and support italy/spain when they were clearly going through something extremely, extremely, generationally bad and the EU/germany/etc stood on the sidelines and gawped, as if all those sick people weren't a 45 minute journey away over the alps.

BUT i've also had a realistic sense of the epidemiological picture. i've maintained that zero covid is, for all intents and purposes, a practical impossibility. there's a whole spectrum of meaningful and effective measures that can be taken between 'no controls' and 'total shutdown'. and the costs and feasibility of total shutdown, in order to supposedly snuff out the disease, are simply not tenable, not in simulated models and definitely not in the real world.

Last edited by uziq (2022-11-17 01:19:41)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
The 'real world' is going to have to change then.

We'll have another 2 billion people in the next 30 years, the next pandemic is going to be a ripper.
uziq
+492|3422
it always comes down to population with you but never actually considering your own prospects for degrowth or consuming less. 'too many people and they behave wrongly, not me'. you'd almost think that there's never any zoonotic illnesses found in australia, or anything. it's not as if even your tiny country with it's very, very big cattle industry hasn't had swine/avian flus, etc.

the world does need to learn some big lessons from covid, that's obvious to say. it's not hard to see that taiwan, korea, etc, did measurably better because they had systems in place to quickly pivot to a pandemic emergency setting. but the rest of the world wasn't prepared for that. the global economy is just too intermeshed and supply lines are too fluid. even countries that commissioned huge reports on their pandemic preparedness, countries that had staged practice runs and ran the models, e.g. US/UK, performed abysmally. but again, being realistic about the very real reasons for these failures isn't the same as being blasé about pandemics or denying they're a problem. you keep attributing views to me that i do not have.

in the last 20-30 years the world has become in many senses extremely small. chinese factory workers taking covid to italy are not the same thing as saying 'stupid tourists and their unnecessary holidays, we should have just shut the airports on day 1'. there was an entire economic system that depended on next-day delivery and migrations of labour. we do need to think hard in the future about how to deal with pandemics when this is the world system we're living in.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Or change the system.

Countries need to be more self-reliant and less dependent on labour migration.

And countries need to stop overpopulating themselves and being dysfunctional to the point their populace is desperate to escape.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard