Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX
I used to work with a guy who thought fuel injection was a step too far, he didn't want a computer controlling his engine.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

I don't trust technology beyond vacuum tubes myself.
Dauntless
Admin
+2,249|6712|London

Dilbert_X wrote:

I used to work with a guy who thought fuel injection was a step too far, he didn't want a computer controlling his engine.
He's clearly insane but there is something a bit less engaging about modern cars. On paper they tick all the boxes and they respond to your inputs instantly and precisely but for pure driving experience I enjoy driving some cars from the mid 2000s than some of the modern cars today. For example (imo) a Murcielago is more fun to drive than a Huracan (though the Huracan looks cooler)
https://imgur.com/kXTNQ8D.png
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

I just want the best safety features.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

The safety features are nice (the lvl 2 ADAS is solid), but I don't need a flashing light and an annoying ding to put my seat belt on before the car is even started. I know i can customize the warnings and notifications but the idea of spending an hour configuring car settings annoys me.

I'm aware I sound like a luddite and I will get used to and eventually love most of the features.

The California requirement that the car must turn off the engine if stopped at a stoplight is really fucking annoying though, and the first thing I switched off.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
I was in a high end Mercedes the other day. I was surprised at all the amazing features but at the same time I don't need any of that stuff. My dream is to live someplace where I don't need a car.

I would probably feel much different if my car did have apps, and notifications, and could drive itself to the gas station.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
Dauntless
Admin
+2,249|6712|London

My car app saved me earlier today. My car key somehow completely ran out of battery (the key has a touch screen with almost entirely useless information on it which is I guess a bit of a battery drain) and when I got back to my car I couldn't open any doors... I was with a girl who had all her stuff in the car and it was freezing outside and starting to rain. I was about to call my breakdown service when I remembered I can unlock the doors with my phone. I got in the car, charged the key for a few minutes and all was good.

Thank god for technology.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

I don't think I've ever had to deal with that before, "keys out of batteries." It's enough just having to remember to keep your phone charged (but don't leave it on the charger too long!). Having to also balance charge on a pair of car keys too, man.

Side note, nothing quite gets you checking your pockets before laundry for the rest of time like running a fob through the wash. Why aren't they all waterproofed?
uziq
+492|3422
“thank god for technology”. lol … what is wrong with just the old infra-red car keys or whatever.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6686

uziq wrote:

“thank god for technology”. lol … what is wrong with just the old infra-red car keys or whatever.
he ran out of battery i guess. but most cars do have a backup key that you can use to physically open the doors.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
uziq
+492|3422
i mean, yeah, the old solution seems way better. a lot of things on teslas and current-gen cars seem overengineered. not that it ever affects my life in any way. /shrug.
Dauntless
Admin
+2,249|6712|London

Yeah even the old keys ran out of battery eventually, though they normally had a metal part of the key you could put in the door.

https://i.imgur.com/z17fu4P.png

This is the first time this happened to me btw, the screen has died quite often but the buttons always continue to work to unlock etc, I thought the buttons worked off a different battery but I guess not.
uziq
+492|3422
that is a mentally over the top key fob, haha. though i suppose having charge information is a useful reminder when you’re out and about and planning your day.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Dauntless wrote:

He's clearly insane but there is something a bit less engaging about modern cars. On paper they tick all the boxes and they respond to your inputs instantly and precisely but for pure driving experience I enjoy driving some cars from the mid 2000s than some of the modern cars today. For example (imo) a Murcielago is more fun to drive than a Huracan (though the Huracan looks cooler)
There is something about learning the quirks of a machine, the lags, the surges, the non-linear response, which appeals to the male brain.

Electric car - press button go faster - doesn't hit it.

Also, everyone should try riding a horse before they complain about their car.
uziq
+492|3422
which appeals to the male brain.
dude .. you write about cars ... like the way a gay salivates over a big veiny cock.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
You're the one who brought a big veiny cock into the discussion.
uziq
+492|3422
'the male brain'.

there is no such thing as the gendered brain. the different sexes have different sized brains, and indeed different hormonal balances, but the processes of cognition are no different.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-019-00677-x
https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/ta … ine-dulac/

talking about male brains makes about as much sense as comparing skull sizes and shapes between races. like phrenology and eugenics, it belongs in the cupboard of bad science, demonstrably untrue, but with its quack adherents who wish it to be true to suit their own politics.

isn't it funny that i keep bringing science into the discussion? and it's always somehow novel to you.

Last edited by uziq (2022-11-06 00:24:23)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Why do men and women behave differently then?

Phrenology is unfairly underrated, its going to make a comeback.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Do you think cultural influences, marketing, societal expectations/norms are insignificant? I think a lot of people have psychological issues and maldevelopments due to stupid rules placed on men and women.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Dilbert, phrenology is a pseudoscience and complicit in some of the worst justifications of some of the worst human behaviors, abuses, and atrocities in recent history. gtfo here with that, you might as well read tea leaves or something.
uziq
+492|3422

Dilbert_X wrote:

Why do men and women behave differently then?

Phrenology is unfairly underrated, its going to make a comeback.
yes every aspect of human behaviour is genetically coded, determined by chromosomes. just like the differences between ‘races’, right?

woefully illiterate for a person who bases their entire weak identity around ‘i r science’.

do you have a genetic mutation that fates you to being a mong on the internet every day?
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

He has a ridge on the back of his skull indicative of a predilection for inappropriate attraction to felines, and a certain lack of empathy for women and brown people.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2022-11-06 00:50:31)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Do you think cultural influences, marketing, societal expectations/norms are insignificant? I think a lot of people have psychological issues and maldevelopments due to stupid rules placed on men and women.
Not insignificant, but there's plenty thats instinctive.

Now everyone is expected be gay, does no-one think of the effect of those pressures?
uziq
+492|3422
why does other people’s sexuality bother you in any way?

aren’t you a malthusian, to boot? along with your other victorian obsessions about race.

you should be glad that lesbian schoolteachers are curbing the birth rate by brainwashing kids into liking friendly fire.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
But lesbians are having as many kids as everyone else.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard