The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX
I think we export LNG to Korea.

Thank you.

Please keep using our LNG.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
uziq
+492|3422
korea gets the majority of its LNG from the middle-east. all of this can easily be google-able. i've presented you with data and pie charts already.

sorry but you've been beating this drum about 'australian coal' in korea for years, making out that we 'overwhelmingly rely on australian coal'. the reality is it's seldom more than 30% of their energy portfolio, and falling year-on-year. less last year than australia's own burning of coal for their national grid. sorry. that's what the figures say. get another argument.

Last edited by uziq (2022-10-24 03:35:36)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
So you're korean now, good, good.
uziq
+492|3422
and you're autistic, there there. i can at least get on a plane and 'become' taiwanese and assume all of their energy consumption, by your logic. how do you escape your terminal stupidity?

i've already asked you before to post your monthly energy bill. let's compare kWh. which one of us has the bigger footprint, i wonder?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
So where are you paying tax? I bet you're not.
uziq
+492|3422
i pay tax in two countries. thanks very much. do you want to see my tax returns?

my company are in the UK, i’m paid in GBP into a UK current account, and thus i pay tax and NI there. and i pay in korea the following: income tax, pension contribution (which is as good as burning the money), local resident tax (for my -dong, local area council tax), and NHIS medical tax ($100 a month and i’ve never used their medical system).

sorry but you’re really clutching at straws here. i’m not cheating anyone of tax contributions.

technically i could declare myself non-tax resident of the UK after being out the country for ca. 180 days, but it’s just not worth the trouble to me. it would complicate any future PhD funding applications and tuition fees costs, for one. id have to pay international prices to study in my own country. so i’m taking it on the chin to pay double taxes.

the tax burden in korea is much lower than the UK in general, at 10% of income, in any case. that plus my earning in a strong currency compared to the korean won means it’s not so bad. i make 2-2.5x the GDPpp equivalent here.

Last edited by uziq (2022-10-24 04:33:17)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
So what happens with Twitter? What will be the catalyst for it to go the way of Digg?
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6686

uziq wrote:

i pay tax in two countries. thanks very much. do you want to see my tax returns?.
that is fucking aids ngl

I did not know about the tax thing not being able to get domestic tuition fees.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
uziq
+492|3422
if i went home and applied the same year (i.e. the sensible option), i would have to pay international fees: 3x the native price.

id have to be on the voting register and filing my taxes at home for a whole tax year (12-18 months) in order to apply as a legal national.

it’s not unbearable but i’m in my early 30s now. i don’t like the thought of wasting a year just to re-register as a UK national.

it’s also a ballache to explain to HMRC why i’m receiving a few grand every month into my UK current account and yet i’m technically P45’d (i.e. just left a PAYE salary employer).

in short: accusing me of moving here to avoid tax in some way is fucking hilarious. i contribute in two jurisdictions. i can’t think of a worse argument to pursue. my job doesn’t exactly crown me as a rich man. and yet. i still pay. being called out for paying taxes by a live at home mummy’s boy is honestly making me LMAO. did you invest in stocks, son???
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
If you're really paying two sets of taxes you're an idiot.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Tax resident of South Korea
As a South Korean resident, you are required to pay tax on income derived from all sources (i.e. inside and outside of Korea). If you’re an expat who has lived in South Korea for more than five years in the last decade, you must pay tax on your worldwide income. However, if you’ve resided in South Korea for less than five years in a decade, you are only taxed on income earned in Korea.

https://www.expattaxes.com.au/south-kor … or-expats/

There's also a double taxation agreement in place so if you're really paying two full sets of income tax you're and idiot.
uziq
+492|3422
it's not ideal but i needed to pay taxes in korea in order to ensure i got a visa extension.

i need to pay taxes in the UK because of the reasons enumerated above.

as i said before, the tax burden in korea is actually quite low. especially considering the buying power of the £ out here. the biggest 'burden' is the health system tax, which is a fixed-rate for all foreigners and not computed based on % of income. that's about $100 a month. certainly hurts when the only time i've availed myself of their medical services is to get boostered. but there we are.

i just see it as a tax for being here. the working holiday visa is incredibly generous. to live here on a work visa i'd be looking at 40-60 hr weeks, no holidays really to speak of, and an average salary that's about 0.5-0.75x the wages i can get in the West. in other words: without this visa, i'd have to eat a whole lot of other doodoo in order to be out here.

so i don't mind.
uziq
+492|3422

Dilbert_X wrote:

Tax resident of South Korea
As a South Korean resident, you are required to pay tax on income derived from all sources (i.e. inside and outside of Korea). If you’re an expat who has lived in South Korea for more than five years in the last decade, you must pay tax on your worldwide income. However, if you’ve resided in South Korea for less than five years in a decade, you are only taxed on income earned in Korea.

https://www.expattaxes.com.au/south-kor … or-expats/

There's also a double taxation agreement in place so if you're really paying two full sets of income tax you're and idiot.
do you really think i haven't looked into this previously, dilbert?

yes, i started paying tax (and aforementioned health insurance) after 183 days. they send you a letter in the post.

the national pension system contacts you too: and in this case, forget 'double tax agreements', there's not even an agreement between the UK-RoK to claim back pension contributions when you leave. that's why i said before that it's as good as burning the money. i'm paying a notional amount to their pension system that i'll have to, er, contact the korean govt about in 40 years time to withdraw. meanwhile, some of my friends, e.g. a german national, claimed back all of his pension contributions literally at a machine at the airport, set up for such purposes.

i know it doesn't make much sense but the working holiday visa isn't perfectly designed for remote working. it's not a digital nomad visa. many countries are still slow on the uptake for the new online/remote working lifestyle. there's a lot of grey area and interpretation in that bit about 'paying taxes on income earned in x country'. if my company are headquartered 11,000km away but i'm working 25 hrs a week sat in a café in bogota, am i earning 'in' that country? most govts naturally have an interest to seeing a share of any productive activity you do whilst residing there.

it could be worse: i could be in vietnam or thailand doing the scummy expat thing and paying no taxes to anywhere. or in singapore or bali. but i'm not.

as i said before, you're really barking up the wrong tree when you accuse me of somehow dodging taxes.

Last edited by uziq (2022-10-29 01:31:22)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

A real "you couldn't make Blazing Saddles today" brow-level post from ol' Musky:

https://i.imgur.com/AZZqJZJ.jpg
uziq
+492|3422

Dilbert_X wrote:

you're and idiot.
and here's a thought: i don't actually mind paying taxes. i use their public transport system everyday. i enjoy their city parks and public spaces. i have my trash collected several times a week.

i wouldn't even be entirely comfortable living in a place for 2 years and just sponging off their systems and making zero contributions. that doesn't seem right to me, somehow.

the working holiday visa, plus the extra +1yr extension that is doled out to people from rich OECD countries, is pretty transparently a scheme set-up to get people to come here, take some work but not occupy valuable or competitive roles in their protected industries, and to spend a whole lot of money in their economy, anyway. it's the same everywhere. i could get a working holiday visa in australia (elligible up to age 35) and it would be the exact same scenario: come here, maybe get a job in a bar or on a farm, maybe be a receptionist, maybe do your remote-working thing, but cough up some notional amount of tax and spend all your disposable income in our businesses. it's just the whole purpose of the visa.

moving out here was never exactly going to be the most financially prudent decision. i could be at home, building more savings and paying down a mortgage. obviously there is a certain amount of waste and expenditure involved in moving to the other side of the world for a new adventure and lease of life. i'm cool with it. but, for the last time: stop accusing me of a lack of public spiritedness, of tax dodging, and of vouching for increased taxes and somehow being 'selfish' and not willing to pay up myself. i pay.

Last edited by uziq (2022-10-29 01:06:55)

uziq
+492|3422

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

A real "you couldn't make Blazing Saddles today" brow-level post from ol' Musky:

https://i.imgur.com/AZZqJZJ.jpg
musk is high-key autistic.

he turned up at twitter HQ carrying a giant fucking porcelain sink to make some contrived visual gag about ‘just arriving at twitter, let that SINK in!!!’. like what the fuck.

he then proceeded to fire everyone there. lmao. a little tone deaf, methinks.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

I think I read a guy just got banned for spamming the n-word. Oops I guess it still needs to be moderated huh.
uziq
+492|3422
i posted a short read in D&ST chats which hits the nail squarely on the head. says everything to be said on the topic, better than i could say it.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

I read that, and in the spirit of halloween, some of it in this guy's voice.

Dilbert_X
The X stands for

SuperJail Warden wrote:

So what happens with Twitter? What will be the catalyst for it to go the way of Digg?
Digg?
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6686
remember myspace
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
No?

Soon enough we will forget twitter too.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6686

Dilbert_X wrote:

No?

Soon enough we will forget twitter too.
liar.

this site is more successful than myspace.
uziq
+492|3422
twitter has never been a profitable business. it's like uber and other contemporaries: a sort of 'faith'-based stock. they never developed a model that could successfully monetize their userbase and its forms of engagement/activity.

at the moment, elon's debt burden for the purchase of twitter involves about $1bn a year in interest payments alone.

twitter has never even come remotely close to being $1bn in the black in any given business year.

now it's under the sole ownership of one person, and a guy who has a track record of sinking his own companies' stock prices based on his erratic behaviour and proclamations at that, we are seeing a deeply unviable business unfold in real time. twitter is probably going to go the way of Ask Jeeves or Neopets or something. it makes zero business sense.

every time someone argues elon musk is a genius i wanna ROFL.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Musk supporters were mad at twitter for "misrepresenting their value." If the man was such a genius, he wouldn't have gotten involved, huh? Let's see if they spin around yet again to boast about what a brilliant Musk stratagem it all is. Sharing a lot of Venn space with people who think Trump and Johnson both are "crackerjack administrators."

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard