Ender2309
has joined the GOP
+470|6541|USA

raz wrote:

My school needs to concentrate more on SPORT rather than education.. The UK have the fattest teenagers in the world, and 'nowadays' we do way less more school sport than what our parents did.
(assuming i'm not making an ass out of myself because you have scientific data) what the hell are you talking about? i think america wins this battle. why? because doing a sport doesnt make you any skinnier. its using more energy than you take in, which is hard for obese people, aka more that 50% of the usa's population
Torin
+52|6662

Ender2309 wrote:

raz wrote:

My school needs to concentrate more on SPORT rather than education.. The UK have the fattest teenagers in the world, and 'nowadays' we do way less more school sport than what our parents did.
(assuming i'm not making an ass out of myself because you have scientific data) what the hell are you talking about? i think america wins this battle. why? because doing a sport doesnt make you any skinnier. its using more energy than you take in, which is hard for obese people, aka more that 50% of the usa's population
Not to mention, the purpose of a school should be education, not physical fitness. People need to learn to exercise on their own, diet properly and not eat a shit ton of junk food. It is not the school's responsibility to slim up the population of the country, it is the overweight people's responsibility. Schools are there for education, not working off calories, and it only distracts from the overall goal to enlighten people if you're requiring hours of mandatory physical fitness.
Mason4Assassin444
retired
+552|6632|USA

Torin wrote:

I'm of the opinion that school is rarely more about education than it is about extra-curricular activities. There is too much emphasis on sports in schools, from the elementary/middle school level, all the way up to college. Entertainment is such a huge deal in the US, and as a result, money gets put into sports. That money trickles all the way down the chain, drawing more and more people into sports. So, what ends up happening is that schools transform from an education institution, to a sports star factory. Education is not the primary concern of a LOT of schools in the US.

Another thing is that the public school system is underfunded. I've personally moved around the city I live in a few times, transferring from one school zone to another. The more "higher class" area I move into, the more I notice that the school is better. My daughter is learning more, she's getting better grades, her standardized test scores are going up. Why? Money. Parents of students in these "higher class" areas of the city have more money to contribute, and are willing to contribute. Money = better education. If the public school system was properly funded, this wouldn't be an issue. The fact that the "lower class" areas of the city provide a lower level of education is all about how well they are funded, and what they can afford to spend money on.

Education is not a huge priority for the government in our country.  People are forced to make due on their own. If I want my children to have a good education, I need to pay for it. Not everyone has that option. Therein lies the problem.

Sports is a part of the problem, but if used well, can be a part of the solution. Since money is the issue, the problem with some schools is they spend too much money and give too much focus to sports, and not enough to actual education. But, schools can use the public emphasis on sports to filter money to education, so that the sports support the education. But, the modern trend is that it is more important to have a national champion football team, rather than the highest average GPA and graduation rate. Sad, but true.
It makes me ashamed that the politicians of the US are all millionaires, but the poorer areas with "shitty" underfunded schools suffer. The politicians act like they have a tough job.

Goverment Job=Degree in Business and a minor in Bullshit. Don't look stressed on tv because you got caught with your hand in the cookie jar you over paid, over aged, past-retirement, greedy pig-fucking thunder cunts.

My biggest gripe about the US isn't the Schools, but our judicial system. How about Jackmeoff Abramoff got 6 years for mocking our political system, and we currently have 2 teenagers standing trial and facing 11 years for downloading Brian Adams songs. This is the country we have created. GREAT JOB YOU FUCKS!!!

Boils down to money. You got it your good to go....you don't.....spread them cheeks little piggy....
Torin
+52|6662
Such is life in a commercial society.
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6706|Salt Lake City

Mason4Assassin444 wrote:

Torin wrote:

I'm of the opinion that school is rarely more about education than it is about extra-curricular activities. There is too much emphasis on sports in schools, from the elementary/middle school level, all the way up to college. Entertainment is such a huge deal in the US, and as a result, money gets put into sports. That money trickles all the way down the chain, drawing more and more people into sports. So, what ends up happening is that schools transform from an education institution, to a sports star factory. Education is not the primary concern of a LOT of schools in the US.

Another thing is that the public school system is underfunded. I've personally moved around the city I live in a few times, transferring from one school zone to another. The more "higher class" area I move into, the more I notice that the school is better. My daughter is learning more, she's getting better grades, her standardized test scores are going up. Why? Money. Parents of students in these "higher class" areas of the city have more money to contribute, and are willing to contribute. Money = better education. If the public school system was properly funded, this wouldn't be an issue. The fact that the "lower class" areas of the city provide a lower level of education is all about how well they are funded, and what they can afford to spend money on.

Education is not a huge priority for the government in our country.  People are forced to make due on their own. If I want my children to have a good education, I need to pay for it. Not everyone has that option. Therein lies the problem.

Sports is a part of the problem, but if used well, can be a part of the solution. Since money is the issue, the problem with some schools is they spend too much money and give too much focus to sports, and not enough to actual education. But, schools can use the public emphasis on sports to filter money to education, so that the sports support the education. But, the modern trend is that it is more important to have a national champion football team, rather than the highest average GPA and graduation rate. Sad, but true.
It makes me ashamed that the politicians of the US are all millionaires, but the poorer areas with "shitty" underfunded schools suffer. The politicians act like they have a tough job.

Goverment Job=Degree in Business and a minor in Bullshit. Don't look stressed on tv because you got caught with your hand in the cookie jar you over paid, over aged, past-retirement, greedy pig-fucking thunder cunts.

My biggest gripe about the US isn't the Schools, but our judicial system. How about Jackmeoff Abramoff got 6 years for mocking our political system, and we currently have 2 teenagers standing trial and facing 11 years for downloading Brian Adams songs. This is the country we have created. GREAT JOB YOU FUCKS!!!

Boils down to money. You got it your good to go....you don't.....spread them cheeks little piggy....
Agreed.  Supposedly it's equal protection under the law, it's just that some people are more equal than others. 

I also agree with your last post.  Teaching basic financial skills in high school, or even earlier should be required.  In fact, it's funny that you bring that up.  I just read an article talking about the number of teens with credit cards, and how many of them only make the minimum payments, not realizing it will take them 20+ years to pay off the card at that rate.
Mason4Assassin444
retired
+552|6632|USA

Agent_Dung_Bomb wrote:

Mason4Assassin444 wrote:

Torin wrote:

Agreed.  Supposedly it's equal protection under the law, it's just that some people are more equal than others. 

I also agree with your last post.  Teaching basic financial skills in high school, or even earlier should be required.  In fact, it's funny that you bring that up.  I just read an article talking about the number of teens with credit cards, and how many of them only make the minimum payments, not realizing it will take them 20+ years to pay off the card at that rate.
NO ONE teaches teenagers finances. It is an astrocity. But by 20 they have 10,000 in debt racked up and Capitol One has that kid locked in for 25 years of income. Sweet! America is all about the money. As long as we make it, who cares who is exploited. As long as our dick is bigger in the gloabal picture.
Agent_Dung_Bomb
+302|6706|Salt Lake City

Mason4Assassin444 wrote:

Agent_Dung_Bomb wrote:

Mason4Assassin444 wrote:

NO ONE teaches teenagers finances. It is an astrocity. But by 20 they have 10,000 in debt racked up and Capitol One has that kid locked in for 25 years of income. Sweet! America is all about the money. As long as we make it, who cares who is exploited. As long as our dick is bigger in the gloabal picture.
Yeah, don't you love it.  Credit card companies are spamming everyone and their dog with pre-approved credit card mailers, and then when they start getting stiffed they whine and the government makes bankruptcy rules tougher.  I mean, it is each persons responsibility to properly conduct their financial affairs, but there are people out there who CC issuers would never have given a CC to under normal income/debt checks.

I have two credit cards.  My American Express card, which I have my internet service billed to, and for making small purchases; never exceeds $150 per month and is paid in full each month.  Then I have one credit card for purchases that I can pay over time.  Right now it's at ~$5K, but that is going down quickly, and I never pay just the monthly minimum.

Last edited by Agent_Dung_Bomb (2006-05-02 07:46:16)

atlvolunteer
PKMMMMMMMMMM
+27|6741|Atlanta, GA USA

Mason4Assassin444 wrote:

This actually happened to a friend of mine while I was in college.  He went to school, had a part time job making just enough to buy beer, etc. but had $13000 in credit card debt!  He ended up filing bankrupcy.  It is way to easy for people just out of high school to get credit cards.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
Getting deeper into education, I have come to not be so critical of sports funding. I think the "school spend too much on sports" is a distraction and salami slicing. Also slightly racist framing due to the fact that the blacks 🐈‍⬛ are so active in sports and internet people in early 2000s were still overwhelmingly nerdy white guys.

I think schools should be places where kids are happy and enjoy being. School sports build up school spirit and help tie parents to the school. Getting rid of school sports will be counterproductive to defending schools.

Anyhow, I brought up this thread since I noticed that I spend a bit more time on social emotional learning than I did in previous years but in my own way.

"Patriotic SEL", I am trademarking that.
https://i-cdn.embed.ly/1/display?key=fd92ebbc52fc43fb98f69e50e7893c13&url=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2F4VVv8YA.gif%3Fnoredirect
So we started the industrial revolution unit. Urbanization and industrialization were important parts of the NYC region's history. I gave my freshmen a pep talk about how close they live to NYC and how they should visit there and enjoy it as much as they can while they are young.

"People come from all over the world to visit the city"
"Wall St. is in NYC. You guys are at the center of the financial center universe."
"Visit and enjoy the city while you are young and can. You are very lucky."

The juniors get the same version of the pep talk about NYC.

One thing is also do is to remind the students "we live much better times" "those were different times" "America isn't perfect but it much better than it was in the past" "You will see a lot of bad things about America in the news but keep in mind that the quality of life we have here in America is actually really great/we have a lot of freedom."

I think the MAGA parents that haunt my imagination would be supportive of Patriotic SEL though probably not me encouraging the kids to visit the Big Apple and enjoy it. NYC isn't patriotic after all.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Headlines like this thread title can be kind of loaded imo. "Not focusing enough on education," 'education' often an abstract concept that doesn't include whatever class or program the a writer wants to complain about. Often deteriorates into what schools should cut to "solve the problem." It's clearly football's fault that the history department is using books from the 1970s. Whatever.

This enormously-rich country could well afford to bring all public schools to above-average offerings regardless of local wealths, but Republicans want to act like hotshots getting rid of free lunch.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
If you help take away free school lunch and breakfast, like we did in America this year, the local business community will invite you out to dinner and might even seat you next the the dressed up Korean girl you work with.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard