uziq
+492|3422
i added more detail to my original post.

obviously it’s a waste of time to check the american visa process. for what visa, for a start?

every nation has different diplomatic relations with others. wait until i tell you that it’s even harder for a pinoy or indian to find work here than a rich european westerner. or that i can go to singapore for half a year as a tourist and other nations can only go for a month or 90 days. that’s how these things work.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Well, duuuuh. You obviously aren't the "hypothetical American" like I specified, which I did because of an example brought up in my limited search results (I am not spending all morning on this). Obviously processes and rules vary. Is there even a rule in place though that would have barred you outright even if you were the only one on the list?
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

SuperJail Warden wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

I have a ghost story. I was sitting in my bedroom and the song "Funky Kentucky" started playing on my Amazon Alexa on its own. I messaged the band and it turns out some of them were from my area even though they live in Kentucky.
I have no plans to put one of those things in my house. An Alexa, not a ghost.
They are great. Voice activated lights and plugs etc.
If I make any changes to Amazon use in my life it's certainly not to procure a device that facilitates my using it more. I would rather do handstands on a pile of broken glass.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

I have no plans to put one of those things in my house. An Alexa, not a ghost.
They are great. Voice activated lights and plugs etc.
If I make any changes to Amazon use in my life it's certainly not to procure a device that facilitates my using it more. I would rather do handstands on a pile of broken glass.
The government isn't going to record you through Alexa.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
uziq
+492|3422
those services really do always listen to you, if only for targeted ads.

amazon's AWS have been awarded some huge govt contracts recently, iirc for the NSA amongst others.

what seemed like conspiracy 5 years ago seems like a grim reality now.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Having an alexa seems like the purchasing equivalent of always having a bowl of potato chips on your desk. I don't use any of the one-click purchase features on any website. If I have a cart full of stuff anywhere and am not feeling it on the purchase screen, I probably don't need it and I can just leave rather than having to cancel an order.

I feel silly enough saying "hey, google" and avoid that feature on my android.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2022-09-22 11:11:59)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
You know the Alexa has hundreds of apps that do different things? I use it to play music too. Voice activated jukebox. Can listen to the news and podcast too.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Yeah, but then I'd have to have an Alexa in my house and trust the company to be good stewards of hours of audio recording, which I don't. No thanks. Any move I make in Amazon's sphere is going to be a disengagement. The website isn't even good. The wishlist is slow/broken and your orders record is clunky, difficult to navigate, and with limited user control. I think they still limit how many orders you can archive, and you're not allowed to otherwise categorize and clear (have fun with that in years of ordering). About as useful as a two-inch willy on a blue whale.

Unless you know exactly what you're looking for, shopping is a maze of garbage and confusingly repurposed links (which will also spontaneously appear in your wishlist over time).

Aesthetically, I've got enough relic-status electronics without another nerdy eyesore doomed to similar obsolescence taking up my valuable shelf/drawer space. I need to declutter more than anything else.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2022-09-22 11:40:57)

uziq
+492|3422

SuperJail Warden wrote:

You know the Alexa has hundreds of apps that do different things? I use it to play music too. Voice activated jukebox. Can listen to the news and podcast too.
i can do that on my laptop when i'm working and it's not exactly inconvenient to do so.

desktop app with more options > having to call out to some surveillance device.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
I can turn off and on my lights, music, and other stuff while under a blanket in bed.
uziq
+492|3422
congratulations. i use a bedside lamp.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
My Alexa also does weather forecast.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
Do you put a piece of tape over your laptop camera?

Last edited by SuperJail Warden (2022-09-22 12:41:53)

KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

My laptop comes with a switch you can slide over the camera. Assume most newer laptops have this feature.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Webcams are a well-documented, basic point of weakness in cybersecurity (I would hope that someone with access to things like student records takes that stuff seriously). Covering them when not in use isn't exactly tinfoil hat business.
Dauntless
Admin
+2,249|6712|London

Yeah Even Zuckerberg famously covered his webcam up with a bit of tape.

I don't use Alexa but do have Apple HomePods in most rooms and every lightbulb is controlled by motions sensors in each room, even my ashing machine and dryer, doorbell, central heating, Dyson fans and outside lights are connected to WiFi. I say goodnight to Siri before I sleep and she turns everything off for me.

Walking into a dark room and not having to touch light switches is really great. I set my bedroom lights to slowly dim as it gets late to help me get ready for sleep.
https://imgur.com/kXTNQ8D.png
uziq
+492|3422

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Do you put a piece of tape over your laptop camera?
webcam and microphone on all new mac devices, like touchID/faceID, are all ran through a separate security chip on the mainboard. whenever they're in use the mac OSX shows you very clearly that they're being engaged, and by which app. the security chip probably can be cracked if some nefarious foreign actor really wanted to, but it's not like it's 'always on' and permanently uploading shit to the internet. they purposefully emphasized privacy on their new devices and iOS/OSX versions, and it's been a pretty big success.

for e.g., apple's approach to device and app privacy is one of the reasons that facebook had to hard pivot to the metaverse and a new concept for getting user data. almost overnight one of their main snooping sources was cut off.

i'm generally not worried about the webcam or microphone on my macbook. as always with these things, it's the stuff we give away voluntarily and unthinkingly that tends to catch us out. like, for instance, talking to a little egg device in your room 15 times a day.

Last edited by uziq (2022-09-22 23:30:05)

Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6686

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

uziq wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

I've looked it up and (tentatively, because I'm not intimately familiar in depth with details for being allowed to take up residency, though I didn't see past convictions listed?) South Korea is one country a convicted felon may travel to. For a hypothetical American, so long as they finish probation, have no outstanding warrants, and possess a valid passport.

It seems more telling that zeek wasn't ejected from college over "threats of violent crime," and is now living abroad doing remote work at his leisure at all, than whether or not SK let him in.

So this line of questioning and nudgery seems pretty obnoxious to me, but hey you do you.
i’m not american and we don’t have the same diplomatic relations with korea. very silly line of approach.

to get a working visa you have to submit a criminal background check. the embassy won’t even consider your application until you can provide a clean record and a clean bill of health.

the visas are competitive and limited in number each year. there is no way anyone could come out here from britain with a criminal record to find work. i doubt even a spent conviction would do.

this whole convo is literally ludicrous. only one person here has gone through this whole process and yet i’m being told why the police didn’t press charges against me 10 years and why i managed to graduate and move abroad. lmao ffs. you lot must be reallllllly bored.
I honestly don't really care about beyond making comment and spending five minutes casually looking stuff up (felons technically allowed, though saying nothing in my prior post about how it affects prioritization), because this convo is taking up multiple threads here for multiple days.

No issues here deferring to the testimony of the person who went on to finish college and is now living in a foreign country, because it makes more sense than people bending over backwards because you threw your teenage weight around ten years ago. I resent being lumped in with your "you lot," that's unfair.
i think you're looking at tourist visas vs working visas, which the latter is a lot more complicated and obvs has greater background checks.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
uziq
+492|3422
americans do get highly preferential visa options, both for working and tourist stays. i mean, that's to be expected, considering korea has been a de facto client state of america for all of its modern history. they don't quite have the same diplomatic relations with the UK. highly favourable, sure, but they're not letting people with criminal records here to work willy-nilly, least of all to work around children or university students.

i cannot believe the lengths i've had to go to 'prove' the veracity of something that happened in 2010 l m a o.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

How did dilbert even find your post? Did he have a screenshot saved all this time?

Speaking of Dilbert, conservative dilbert fans are angry on Scott Adams' behalf that his comic was supposedly 'canceled' by the libs for tackling *checks notes* "woke culture." AFAIK a lot of newspapers are dropping the funnies in general. No tears shed for Non Sequitur some years back, either.

I wasn't much aware of Scott Adams' twitter or following the strip's recent content, but … wow. What a tool.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
You don't have a folder with member blackmail? I have folder titled "Jay" somewhere on a portable drive.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

I have the mods section. I can just look up when Flaming_Maniac made a thread.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
I wonder what he is up to. I liked him. Last I talked to him he was in college. I asked if he was partying...he said no. I saw on the Bf2s Steam group that he hasn't logged in in years.
uziq
+492|3422
that guy was autistic. power mad over a forum badge. you’ve got to have a screw loose to get off on that.

i think it’s hilarious that dilbert’s namesake has turned out to be every bit as loony and credulous when it comes to far-right culture wars bullshit as the man himself. couldn’t have chosen a better nom de plume. chef’s kiss.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

I found Dilbert to be even less amusing than Garfield back in the day. I could be wrong but I don't recall a single slapstick gag in Dilbert. At least Garfield characters would sometimes make funny faces. How many years later, Dilbert's main(?) thing is still that the boss is technologically inept? OK we get it, move on.

Far Side and Bloom County were fairly amusing. Calvin & Hobbes usually got the posting below Peanuts and then Garfield iirc, at least for Seattle Times(?).

e: the whole thing reminds me that I did something for a school newspaper, but it couldn't have been much (stand-in for ms word typesetting?). I remember more from being a student librarian than any work I did in newspapers.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2022-09-23 19:37:05)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard