Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6713

Dilbert_X wrote:

China could have got this under control, the world could have got this under control if China had been honest about it, most countries could have got this under control if they'd followed normal pandemic controls.

I'm glad this has come full circle and China is suffering.
china did have it 'under control' with lockdowns during that time. wtf are you on about lmao.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6103|eXtreme to the maX
But they allowed it to escape.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
uziq
+492|3449
we have been through the timeline of this so many times.

yes, they were dishonest about the nature of the disease. yes, local politics hampered the response and china's collaboration with the international community.

but the pure epidemiological picture is such that a novel, highly infectious disease originating in a highly connected logistics hub like wuhan would have about 30 different vectors for leaving china before even being detected. the first 'alpha' variant was asymptomatic for 7–10 days. do you know how much transmission could take place, and how many air miles of freight or tourism could be covered, in that time?

the comprehensive study linked recently by larssen deep-dived into this picture and made this abundantly clear. 'patient zero' and the local clusters of wuhan were passing it around among themselves with zero knowledge for the first few weeks, to such a point that several different variations occurred before it even garnered major attention. the in-built 'lag' between new infection and presenting symptoms made this disease very able to hop borders, even with all the best intentions and perfect compliance in the world (which, yes, the CCP surely were not interested in, but that's by the by).

the idea of 'nipping it in the bud' when talking about a highly infectious and crucially INVISIBLE new disease is a pure fantasy of control. that you've clung to it like a toddler with a pacifier for the last 3 years says more about your infantilism than anything else. covid was a disease well-adapted to take advantage of the global system we have created – a highly interconnected global system that disease experts have been warning is highly conducive to creating pandemics for decades.

and the fact that china under lockdown and closed borders are still dealing with repeated reintroductions of novel strains – most of which have evolved way beyond china and made it back there to their major cities – says everything you need to know about the feasibility of the rest of your equally risible fantasies of total control. a totalitarian total-surveillance regime, which can track the doings and sayings of just about every uyghur male in xinjiang province, can't keep a disease out of its borders. but apparently it's easy to keep omicron+ at bay if authorities in melbourne just clean up their hotel quarantine act.

pathetic. do better.

Last edited by uziq (2022-09-03 03:33:26)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

but apparently it's easy to keep omicron+ at bay if authorities in melbourne just clean up their hotel quarantine act.
Yes, but they hired indians and the rest is history.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6713

Dilbert_X wrote:

But they allowed it to escape.
other countries let them in.

you wanna know why taiwan didn't have an issue with covid? cos they were monitoring that shit since December.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
uziq
+492|3449
funny how the trajectory went exactly as i said, based on by-the-minute virological and epidemiological reports, and not as dilbert kept frowning about. omicron got an evolutionary edge over its more harmful peers. give or take a few worrying half-variants in between, which didn't seem to outcompete the former, and it seems that covid is slipping into abeyance globally.

multi-variant vaccines have been approved and should be going out this winter, to be taken like a flu jab. should give a nice update to the yes, frankly piteous performance of the first-gen vaccines at this point. that plus the other raft of anti-virals medication, nasal sprays, throat lozenges, steroidal treatmets, and god knows what else: covid is licked for 99% of people.

can't wait to send you all selfies from a beach in thailand.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6713

uziq wrote:

funny how the trajectory went exactly as i said, based on by-the-minute virological and epidemiological reports, and not as dilbert kept frowning about. omicron got an evolutionary edge over its more harmful peers. give or take a few worrying half-variants in between, which didn't seem to outcompete the former, and it seems that covid is slipping into abeyance globally.

multi-variant vaccines have been approved and should be going out this winter, to be taken like a flu jab. should give a nice update to the yes, frankly piteous performance of the first-gen vaccines at this point. that plus the other raft of anti-virals medication, nasal sprays, throat lozenges, steroidal treatmets, and god knows what else: covid is licked for 99% of people.

can't wait to send you all selfies from a beach in thailand.
we should just be like adelaide and thats how theyre safe cos no one lives there or wants to fucking go there.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
At best everyone is going to get flu and covid every year now.

At worst - we'll see what the next variant looks like.

uziq wrote:

can't wait to send you all selfies from a beach in thailand
Its hilarious that of all the members of this forum you were the one to become an asian sex tourist.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3717

Dilbert_X wrote:

uziq wrote:

Its hilarious that of all the members of this forum you were the one to become an asian sex tourist.
https://www.meme-arsenal.com/memes/887117a36e138e47191020087981de56.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
uziq
+492|3449

Dilbert_X wrote:

uziq wrote:

its hilarious that your entire concept of travel is tied to buying sex from women.

nice way for you to admit how consistently wrong you've been about covid, though.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
We're not out of the woods yet.

One thing we can say about this supposedly stable virus is it mutates pretty fast.

And don't worry, the Chinese have far nastier bugs ready for release, this was a beta test.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6713

Dilbert_X wrote:

We're not out of the woods yet.

One thing we can say about this supposedly stable virus is it mutates pretty fast.

And don't worry, the Chinese have far nastier bugs ready for release, this was a beta test.
WHO disagrees my guy. tbh covid didn't even came anywhere close to spanish flu levels and thank god.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3717
It was just a flu
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Only 6.5m dead, hardly a blip.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6769|PNW

"Out of the woods."

Unlike the earlier days of this thing, we have countermeasures beyond locking everyone up at home. Unless science eventually finds a way to completely eradicate covid-19, we're always going to remain in view of that forest, but at least we're not kickboxing the grizzly bear anymore.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
The virus hasn't actually become less lethal, its just the vaccines are better.

Are we going to have a new dose every three months just to stand still?

Here it looks more like we're heading into the woods than coming out.

https://i.imgur.com/IvsMJgY.jpg

Japan - no end it sight there.

https://i.imgur.com/W9Fn68u.jpg

But yeah, the WHO guy who has looked like a complete idiot at every step so far knows what he's talking about I'm sure.
uziq
+492|3449
you’ve been saying for months that the vaccines are ‘next to useless’. now the virus is just as deadly but the vaccines are so good? LMAO.

omicron is milder. it doesn’t affect the deep lung tissues that led to such acute respiratory problems (and death). it infects tissues in the throat predominantly. that’s inherently less of a risk to vital systems. the virus is literally more mild.

amazing how you’re our resident scientist and you don’t know shit.

picking and choosing australia and japan to cherrypick your argument doesn’t avoid the fact that weekly deaths are below 10k globally. that’s a huge reduction on this time last year.

Last edited by uziq (2022-09-18 01:20:46)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Vaccines are doing just enough to curb the death rate, they're not preventing infection or transmission like, you know, vaccines are usually expected to.

Why are more Japanese dying than ever if Omicron is so benign?
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6713

Dilbert_X wrote:

they finally started recording it - japanese hospitals were refusing people with symptoms with OG rona when it started.

they also have a higher elderly population.
uziq
+492|3449

Dilbert_X wrote:

because they haven't been exposed to it previously, thus don't have antigens, and because they have some of the oldest population in the world.

that's why they kept their borders closed, incidentally: not because it's the best epidemiological approach – it isn't, and it hasn't worked; kyoto had to declare itself bankrupt only recently due to the huge drop in business and tourism – but because the people who turn out to vote in japan are old.

japan's elderly population also have a very high rate of non-vaccinated/non-boosted. they were spooked and suspicious of the vaccines from the very get-go. their boosted rate in the over 65s is at about 80%. that's a lot of clinically vulnerable people with no exposure to the virus letting themselves in for a rough time.

omicron is not as deadly as delta, not by a long shot. we have oodles of data on this. you are talking out of your rear end, as per usual.

Dilbert_X wrote:

Vaccines are doing just enough to curb the death rate, they're not preventing infection or transmission like, you know, vaccines are usually expected to.
it's considered a bonus when a vaccine confers total immunity to transmission. not all vaccines do this, again not by a long shot. flu vaccines are not particularly effective at curbing infection rates, for instance.

the aim of vaccines is to give protection to the person being vaccinated. it is to prevent death or serious illness. which the vaccines are successful at doing, and which you've pooh-pooh'ed and rubbished repeatedly when it suits your argument. you don't make any sense on this point: one day the vaccines are helping and the next they're useless because you have to get boostered in 3-4 months or whatever. make up your mind, seriously.

Last edited by uziq (2022-09-18 06:02:59)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3717
Woke up with a sore throat, runny nose, sneezing, and body aches. Took a sick day. Lying in bed with tissues in my nose. Some people I came in contact with got COVID.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
OK, hopefully some of the people you infected were chinese.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3717
That's a good one!

I was at a big union meeting yesterday, handing out bottles of water, and setting the food up. I spent a good amount of time with a new hire (23 year old brunette) there too. Totally asymptomatic the whole time.

The union boss couldn't be at the event because he, his wife, and child are got COVID. I had seen them a week before. Apparently a lot of the people who were part of the backpack give away got COVID now too.

Nobody could have seen this coming
uziq
+492|3449
1/2 of the global deaths weekly are still in america.

you're right, nobody could have seen such a colossal and continuous calamity coming, before the pandemic.

you're still losing a 9/11 every week and nobody even suggests it's a public health issue there anymore.
Dauntless
Admin
+2,249|6740|London

Is everyone getting the Monkeypox vaccine in the US? Should I?
https://imgur.com/kXTNQ8D.png

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard