RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6707|Oxferd Ohire
Bulletproof logic
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
I am moving stuff from one place to another.

Last edited by SuperJail Warden (2022-07-29 07:51:14)

https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

That's a lot to unpack, mac.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
"Undercover Mom Discovers ‘Pandora’s Box’ of Depravity in Trans Youth Organization’s Chatroom"
https://www.nationalreview.com/news/und … -chatroom/

Well that is creepy of her. I wonder if she was typing with one hand.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

'Breaking news, exclusive, etc. etc. Teens use internet to talk about sex and stuff. This has never happened before!'

Read through some of the content. Yeah it's really a big mystery why some people to tell others to keep that stuff hidden. It's probably not terrible advice if you don't want to be kicked out of some households while still in high school.

Probably a bit hard to hide from a mom who likely has hidden cameras in your room though.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Police increase presence around Boston Children's Hospital after bomb threat
https://www.wcvb.com/article/boston-chi … t/41034858

BOSTON —
There was a heavy police presence in the area of Boston Children's Hospital Tuesday night after a bomb threat was made.

Boston police said the threat was called into Children's Hospital at about 8 p.m. and that police were taking extra precautions in the surrounding area.

Several streets along Longwood Avenue were blocked off and there was a crowd of families waiting outside the police tape. Those people were told they could not enter the hospital, but patients and employees were still allowed to leave the campus.

NewsCenter 5's Shaun Chaiyabhat said that shortly before 10 p.m., Boston police officers began taking down the tape they put up in the area around the hospital. At about that time, Boston police officials informed NewsCenter 5 that nothing had been found at Boston Children's Hospital.

The exact nature of the threat has not been released and the incident remains under investigation.

The threat against Boston Children's Hospital follows recent threats of violence made against doctors and other staffers over the hospital's surgical program for transgender youths.

[related links]
I guess we'll see if prior threats have any bearing on this bomb threat.
uziq
+492|3422
remember 5 years ago when no one was vexed about transsexuals? that was a good time. it literally wasn’t part of any national conversation. 

now entire political parties spend their time feigning mock-outrage at pronouns and restroom signage.

totally mediocre. in the most benign and well-meaning way possible: i literally don’t care about trans people at all. let them be. nothing about this entire topic affects my life in the slightest.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

I don't really remember a time when nobody cared. American perspective, people were angry about gays and transsexuals for about long as I can remember noticing people being angry about stuff in this country. People are still being shunned and murdered for being gay or transgender or what have you. The "tranny football linebacker going into the restroom to molest your aunt" argument has been going on forever.

I have nearly zero patience for someone who starts whining about people choosing preferred pronouns or whatever. Who cares, every generation has linguistic quirks and evolutions their own parents complained about. Go titter about Brandon or something.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

I've probably told this story before, but one old college friend out of nowhere got a hold of me on a messenger and told me about their transition, (presumably coming out to various friends as a part of their therapy?). The relief was almost palpable through the text window when I didn't really react strongly one way or the other. TL;DR, on my part pretty much an "OK" and "let me know when the next gaming session is."

I think most groups want to be left to do their own thing without national level, nosy criticism. I don't see why transgender people would be the exception.

Side note, really funny seeing gamers in particular level a bunch of scrutiny at gays and trans, considering the scrutiny leveled at gamers. Like lol, go back to your murder simulators so you can practice for your next mass shooting.
uziq
+492|3422
i'm sure that cultural conservatives and evangelicals always had their animus against gays. but there wasn't this hysteria about drag queens or pronouns or whatever. it's a totally confected distraction technique. like all of the culture wars being waged by the right. gays are not coming for your children. but the same people who whip up hatred against these teensy weensy minorities are the same people who are polluting your environment, giving you cancer, and selling off your kids' future.
uziq
+492|3422
Yet the belief persists that there are innate brain differences between the sexes. As the neuroscientist Gina Rippon writes in The Gendered Brain, dealing with the myths of ‘neurosexism’ is like playing ‘whack-a-mole’: each time you smack one down, more spring up elsewhere. Why are these myths so tenacious? For a start, findings are often based on small sample sizes, or observed effects are overblown. There are also reporting biases, the most obvious of which is the ‘file drawer effect’. Studies that discover differences between the sexes are readily submitted for publication, while those that don’t tend to be filed away. Observations of similarity therefore go underreported, and accounts of brain sex dimorphism are less likely to be undermined by research that fails to replicate their findings. As the psychologist Gerald Haeffel put it in a Royal Society paper published in June, ‘Psychological science is on an extraordinary winning streak. A review of the published literature shows that nearly all study hypotheses are supported. This means that either all the theories are correct, or the literature is biased towards positive findings.’

Science writers and journalists play their part in the myth-making. When they announce evidence of brain sex differences, they often omit to mention that the resounding effect relates to zebra finches or prairie voles, or – when the evidence is human – that the participants’ average age was sixty, so that scientists were scanning brains that had undergone the best part of a lifetime’s influences. Researchers and reporters know what they’re doing: sexism sells. There is an appetite for science that legitimises our prejudices. Perhaps there’s some version of the just-world hypothesis at work: my not being good at chess is less vexing if I can blame it on the sex limitations of my brain, rather than the competing demands on my time, the undermining effects of stereotypes, or my laziness. Or maybe it’s easier to digest simple explanations for troubling phenomena. Why grapple with the complex confluence of bodies and cultures when you can settle for believing that sex differences are rooted in our genes or in the lives of our ancient ancestors? Rippon mentions a paper whose authors attempt to trace the gendering of pink and blue to our evolutionary origins. Their conclusion is even sillier than the premise: food-gathering cavewomen had to be able to pick out blushing berries; cavemen hunters were adapted to scan the horizon against a blue sky.

Writing in the New Humanist in 2009, Raymond Tallis advised: ‘If you come across a new discipline with the prefix “neuro” and it is not to do with the nervous system itself, switch on your bullshit detector. If it has society in its sights, reach for your gun.’ There is now a whole genre of popular science devoted to debunking the neuroscience of sex differences. This sometimes results in a stodgy, carping sort of writing, and one wonders how many minds are actually changed by it, but as long as the ‘neurotrash’ piles up, it is important to have patient, conscientious rebuttals on the record. Rippon, in her comprehensive book, doesn’t reject the possibility of brain sex differences outright, but instead shows that tugging at the thread of most of the claims in circulation reveals a gendered origin story. Male infants walk earlier, but do so after greater motor encouragement; female infants talk earlier, but are usually spoken to more. Men tend to outperform women on ‘mental rotation’ tasks, that is, when visualising the way an object would appear from a different vantage point. But the difference isn’t observed in young children and is more reliably correlated with time spent playing computer games: it’s less a question of neuroanatomy than of who has a Nintendo. A survey of a million people across 48 countries, published in 2015, indicated that women have significantly lower self-esteem than men. In trying to account for that striking finding, you can either choose to probe the brain’s self-evaluation centres and tell just-so stories about archaic humans, or you can take seriously the fact that every culture has ways of making women feel bad about themselves.
https://www.lrb.co.uk/the-paper/v44/n17 … difference

you could seamlessly transpose this gender differences pseudo-scientific bullshit into dilbert's racial thinking and 99.9% of the above would stick. all the fake 'neuro' and 'psych' prefixes; the vague appeals to archaic paleolithic times; the need to explain a complex reality with (usually bigoted) simple grunts.

When we scour brains for signs of sex, we’re bound instead to find the imprints of gender. And unless we’re careful, we’re apt to mistake one for the other. If there are primordial sex differences, we have spoiled our chances of finding them: sexism not only changes our brains, it also tends to blunt the objectivity that’s needed to do good science. Maybe some of us are innately worse at chess, or maths, or mental rotation tasks, but stereotypes and material barriers set far lower ceilings than biology does. To accept this means starting our inquiry from a different point. In her recent book The Disordered Cosmos, the cosmologist Chanda Prescod-Weinstein asks: ‘What are the conditions we need so that a 13-year-old Black kid and their single mom can go look at a dark night sky, away from artificial lights, and know what they are seeing? What healthcare structures, what food and housing security are needed?’* Most brains are good enough for most things; the problem is that too many are underfed, sunk in cortisol, hemmed in by stereotypes and taken up with the demands of survival. Prescod-Weinstein’s words echo those of Stephen Jay Gould forty years ago: ‘I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.’

Last edited by uziq (2022-09-05 03:46:07)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6075|eXtreme to the maX

uziq wrote:

i'm sure that cultural conservatives and evangelicals always had their animus against gays. but there wasn't this hysteria about drag queens or pronouns or whatever. it's a totally confected distraction technique. like all of the culture wars being waged by the right. gays are not coming for your children. but the same people who whip up hatred against these teensy weensy minorities are the same people who are polluting your environment, giving you cancer, and selling off your kids' future.
Every major religion has determined that gays, cross-dressers etc should be put to death no?
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
uziq
+492|3422
there's a wide variety of opinion on cross-dressing and homosexuality across the world religions. many beliefs about this are syncretic and combine local/folk traditions with official edict. it's not like everyone, everywhere, globally who has faith is virulently homophobic.

there are communities of gays, gender queers, cross-dressers, etc, in islamic and hindu societies. christian societies and high courts kept eunuchs or idealized the young male form. buddhism proscribes all forms of sexual activity but has never explicitly pointed out that homosexuailty is worse than heterosexuality, and so on. examples abound.

even in hardline theocratic societies, like the taliban's afghanistan, there are long-standing tribal and regional practices of elders engaging in homosexual acts with younger men. they are 'muslims'.

you really aren't interested in religious studies so why do you continually try to turn arguments based on theological grounds? we get it, you read a pamphlet by richard dawkins once.

Last edited by uziq (2022-09-05 04:02:18)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

uziq wrote:

I think we're still on the spin cycle. Executive order 10450, the Lavender Scare, the great scapegoating for AIDS. For years in the 90s I remember people shuddering about transexuals, seemingly based on Buffalo Bill alone.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6686

uziq wrote:

even in hardline theocratic societies, like the taliban's afghanistan, there are long-standing tribal and regional practices of elders engaging in homosexual acts with younger men. they are 'muslims'.
the chai boy thing is apparently more pedo but yeh.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
uziq
+492|3422
pederasty and man–boy love have been prominent parts of cultures since way before abrahamic religions came along and wrote things on tablets forbidding them.

as i said, it's part of the syncretism of religions and their integration into many various, disparate local cultures. ancient greeks practiced pederasty. ancient romans practiced it. fair to say that babylonian and other middle-eastern countries have long histories of eunuchs and catamites.

any religion that wanted to become even moderately successful, proselytizing or not, knew it had to come to accommodation with local beliefs and practices. sometimes that involved nicking a holiday here, euhemerizing a deity there; and sometimes it involved turning a long blind-eye to cross-dressers and homosexuality.

particularly so in rural and backcountry areas. korea, for instance, has a long tradition on male-on-male romance in the countryside, away from the authorities and the royal courts (who were up to it too, albeit in a different and ritualised way).

it's a fact of life, a historical constant. and the idea that all religious people are virulently against it is just so dumb. dilbert has a real problem accepting complexity and nuance. not a sign of a high IQ or sophisticated thinker. 'all religions are dumb and all religions hate gays'. OK, edgelord.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
The fact that there are dozens of very different religions that formed independently cast a serious doubt on any religion. I can understand if Japan, the Aztecs, and Greeks all developed the idea of a God at the same time and had the same stories without coming in contact with each other. But the Aztecs were eating people, the Greeks were screwing small boys, and Japan was perfecting suicide.
uziq
+492|3422

SuperJail Warden wrote:

The fact that there are dozens of very different religions that formed independently cast a serious doubt on any religion. I can understand if Japan, the Aztecs, and Greeks all developed the idea of a God at the same time and had the same stories without coming in contact with each other. But the Aztecs were eating people, the Greeks were screwing small boys, and Japan was perfecting suicide.
erm … they kind of did.

the socratic philosophers, buddha, and the main canonisation of hinduism all kicked off at the same time.

the aztecs weren’t even close to being contemporary with any of them. the aztecs were contemporary with the european renaissance. didn’t you study history? jesus man. basics.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
First day of school with the kids. Kid sent me an email about their pronouns and preferred name. Kid was polite in the email.

I am going to comply with the kid's request. I will ask them to stay after class and will give them a supportive "I am totally supportive of your choice. I will try my best to use the right pronouns. If I make a mistake, don't be afraid to correct me until I get it right. Have a good first day. "

I am the best. Give me one thousand dollars.
uziq
+492|3422
wow you're such an awesome person for agreeing to utter the correct syllable.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
It is a low bar to clear but I got over it. Pronouns have been the rock upon which many teachers break themselves. But I will not be one.

Last edited by SuperJail Warden (2022-09-07 08:23:51)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Mac's in teaching, in America. Meaning that in doing this, he's put a target on his back for obsessed anti-trans parents who find out that he's going along with it, and who might send threatening letters or pressure administration to let him go.

On the other hand, I casual-googlefu'd and the first hits I got back were how teachers shouldn't ever be expected or asked to comply and one about a judge who reordered the reinstatement of one of Mac's pigmen coaches somewhere. Probably SC or VA.

In this case, he's literally being the bigger person here by agreeing to utter an alternate syllable.
uziq
+492|3422
teachers who angrily refuse to recognise a young person's choice of pronoun just remind me of jordan peterson. like why the F would you care. isn't your job stressful and tiring enough, trying to manage a classroom and usher them through the various hoops of the system?
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

The country is spiraling into the abyss with the food deserts, the housing and water crisis, nosedive in population growth (like 0.1% in 2021), and the trippy climate hanging over our heads. But of course people go on about the dangers of letting a transperson use the restroom, or rather exist in society to any capacity. We need lots of conservative backseat educators and Christian phone companies to stuff school boards and put us 'back on course.'
Dauntless
Admin
+2,249|6712|London

I wouldn't refuse but I'd definitely forget to use the right one 95+% of the time, I have a hard enough time trying to remember peoples name's who I've worked with for years let alone non-standard pronouns.
https://imgur.com/kXTNQ8D.png

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard