uziq
+492|3422
there’s something very funny and telling to me that the ‘world’s best engineering master race’ has changed job/company multiple times in this forum and still pisses and moans about their mind numbing and apparently menial and meaningless drudgery. it sounds great !!!!

“woah son i helped develop the cross hairs on a submarine periscope!”

ok grand papa! thrilling job.

Last edited by uziq (2022-08-31 16:44:58)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Uzique almost gave himself a chemical castration and you are bullying me instead.
Stop bullying uziq
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

there’s something very funny and telling to me that the ‘world’s best engineering master race’ has changed job/company multiple times in this forum and still pisses and moans about their mind numbing and apparently menial and meaningless drudgery. it sounds great !!!!
I've had three different jobs in 18 years, pretty normal TBH.
“woah son i helped develop the cross hairs on a submarine periscope!”
That would be one more creative thing than you've done.
uziq
+492|3422
3 different jobs in 18 years might be normal for your generation, but it's not at all typical of graduate employment nowadays. most 20-somethings will have had 3 graduate jobs by the time they're 25.

in industries like software engineering, it's absolutely the norm to switch companies every couple years.

it's the best way to get a payrise in the current job market, for one.

i don't know why you persist in always making out that i'm 'uncreative'. i've literally published written work of my own. i've DJ'd for nigh-on 10 years in many venues. i make music and pooter around with hardware and field recordings, though not particularly with any aim in mind. i have plenty of creative hobbies and outlets. my entire social life is oriented around music, ffs.

outside of considering your engineering work 'creative' (in which case my editorial work is almost certainly 'creative', too, derp), it's you who genuinely has zero creative hobbies or interests. very weird argument to pursue tbh. you spend half your time calling novels crap. that doesn't strike me as the attitude of a 'lover' of things creative.

Last edited by uziq (2022-09-01 04:04:06)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Mousewheel's like 30% out on my G600 mouse. Luckily I have two spare from a sale if it's not something that'll fix with cleaning (learned my lesson with a previous mouse that was no longer available). Took me about a day to realize that I didn't somehow accidentally find and trip a mwheel sensitivity setting with a keyboard shortcut.

I think the mouse wheel is what failed last time, but the rubber hadn't even worn off the sides yet on this one.

Will probably keep the spares boxed and use a regular old mouse until I start playing space sims again.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

3 different jobs in 18 years might be normal for your generation, but it's not at all typical of graduate employment nowadays. most 20-somethings will have had 3 graduate jobs by the time they're 25.
May be fine for jobs where the timescales are short and the outcome doesn't really matter, in engineering project timescales are months, years, sometimes decades.
The there's the post-project firefighting to deal with.

Anything less than 2 years looks suspicious even at the fast-moving end - you moved on before your fuckups became apparent, or your fuckups became apparent and you moved on.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2022-09-06 03:06:59)

uziq
+492|3422
you work on large government contracts that take multiple administrations and have long project deliveries – just the sort of long-term project planning you say is impossible in a democracy, apparently.

the idea that anyone who isn't working in a similar niche to you is doing a job where 'the outcomes don't really matter' is just your usual arrogance. there are types of engineering, particularly software engineering and electrical engineering, as i alluded to in my first post, which are much more relevant to your average graduate nowadays and which have ridiculously quicker turnaround times.

i mean, think about what you're saying. if a software engineer took 5 or 10 years to deliver on a project, that would be retarded. do you know how fast that world moves?

the timescales probably make sense in client industries that are dependent on state largesse, like yours, where delays and expensive fuck-ups and political quagmires can be factored in to the usual operating cost of things. that isn't going to pertain at Google or a SV start-up, dilbert.

Last edited by uziq (2022-09-06 03:17:58)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Projects which to you might seem to have come out of nowhere often have been years in the making, years to develop the science, years to develop the technological building blocks, years to develop working processes, years to scale everything, years to actually create and tool up a working product and presto the ipad came out of nowhere in the blink of an eye.

Govt project planning is typically too slow and disastrous.
uziq
+492|3422
never mind the fact that i also said the best way to get a payrise or career advancement, more so today than ever, is to switch jobs in a reasonable time-frame. that's not tantamount to absconding and leaving 'before your fuckups became apparent'. lol ffs.

it's amazing with what arrogance you dole out this advice. what have 3 jobs in 18 years got you? you're still not in the management suite, are you? still being bossed around and frustrated on a weekly basis by people you think are inept, putting up with colleagues and peers you don't rate, yada yada. if i were a young graduate, i'd stick with the advice to know when to move on and bargain upwards more often than '3 times in 18 years'. you're not a great advert for career advice, tbh. you seem to have hung around on internet forums moaning about your stalling workplace conditions for 2+ years too long for each job, so far as i can see.

knowing when to call it quits or negotiate upwards and/or outwards is a valuable career skill. like networking. another thing i suspect you aren't quite the grand doyen of.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
OK great.

Incidentally I've only had one job with any govt connection, and that was about 20% of it.
It was fun to see just how poorly govt projects are managed.

And the bulk of my wealth creation has been outside work, so I don't care too much really.
uziq
+492|3422

Dilbert_X wrote:

Projects which to you might seem to have come out of nowhere often have been years in the making, years to develop the science, years to develop the technological building blocks, years to develop working processes, years to scale everything, years to actually create and tool up a working product and presto the ipad came out of nowhere in the blink of an eye.

Govt project planning is typically too slow and disastrous.
i'm not talking about the ipad though, am i, or once in a decade paradigm-changing tech? the vast majority of young graduates in engineering-related disciplines today are doing compsci, EE, or programming. the generational mantra is 'learn to code', not 'learn to design naval radars'.

https://news.cs.washington.edu/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/freshmen.jpg

sorry if that makes you feel precious about your own career. i'm not denigrating anything about your own project lead times: i'm saying that it's not the NORM today.

i have a british friend who works in an industrial design company here in korea, which is obviously a hotbed for it (monitor panel tech and the like). i can guarantee you that the average project at his company and average work contract is 1/3rd what it is in your particular niche.

and this is excepting the entire discussion about the fact that permanent contracts, like generous pensions and retirement packages, are going the way of the dodo. hence, again, why i said it hasn't been the norm for the last couple generations of graduates. most companies' HR departments frankly prefer short-term and casualized workers. engineers or not.

And the bulk of my wealth creation has been outside work, so I don't care too much really.
yes, well done, live-at-home warren buffet. you should write a trading guru guide and self-publish it on the Amazon store. 'don't pay rent or have a mortgage for 25 years and graduate in a system where all education is free'. you're a trading superstar!

Last edited by uziq (2022-09-06 03:35:26)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

most companies' HR departments frankly prefer short-term and casualized workers. engineers or not.
That strategy failed and was ditched years ago.
It might work in places where people are interchangeable, these days people with deep skills are sought after and companies try to keep them if they're good.
The project down-time caused by staff turnover is the biggest concern these days.
uziq
+492|3422
you'd think so, yes, i mean it seems like common sense: but no.

you know full-well that management are capable of considering most workers as interchangeable and scuttling progress and stymying projects with HR fuck-ups for years. i've been in a company situation myself where project management has stalled for 6+ months due to staff turnover issues. this doesn't only affect engineering, believe it or not: you're not the only keepers of the secret flame of 'deep skills', dilbert.

the HR and finance side of business are still beholden to ideas about downsizing and casualizing the permanent workforce. this is a trend across industries. it's been a management consultancy doxa for years now.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

the HR and finance side of business are still beholden to ideas about downsizing and casualizing the permanent workforce. this is a trend across industries. it's been a management consultancy doxa for years now.
That has changed, its going to go in cycles but thats not where we are now.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I had to have a brief general anaesthetic for a minor, um procedure.

The anaesthetist asked if I could count backwards from 10

I said "Of course I can, I'm a fucking engineer I know how to count jesus fu-"
And thats the last thing I remember.
uziq
+492|3422

Dilbert_X wrote:

uziq wrote:

That has changed, its going to go in cycles but thats not where we are now.
if by 'we' you mean your company, then OK.

i know that labour's value is high right now due to the pandemic and the great en-quittening, but i still don't believe workers, even in the high-skill tech sector, are negotiating permanent contracts with all the emoluments. high-skill labour slums it with the rest of the working people in that regard, thesedays.

my company have moved corporate offices to a fancy-schmancy new building, 1/2 the capacity of the last place, of course. i bet only 30% of staff are ever returning to the office on a semi-permanent basis.

now all i need is for a few more world governments to wisen up to this 'high-skill white guy' thing and offer digital nomad visas. i have absolutely no problem paying 10% income tax to korea or taiwan or georgia or portugal or wherever it may happen to be.

being able to see the world and file my work from the beach seems like an almost fair trade-off for the 'you can never retire and your pension doesn't exist' thing.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

i know that labour's value is high right now due to the pandemic and the great en-quittening, but i still don't believe workers, even in the high-skill tech sector, are negotiating permanent contracts with all the emoluments.
Well you're wrong.
uziq
+492|3422
i'd sure like to be wrong, and increasingly wrong, forever, on this point.

let's hope your favourite unions kick it up a notch in the coming months/years of economic recession.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

uziq wrote:

never mind the fact that i also said the best way to get a payrise or career advancement, more so today than ever, is to switch jobs in a reasonable time-frame.
Based on peers, if I were to add some cautionary career advice in general, it would be to not get involved in a family business (at least without due caution and planning), whether yours or someone else's. The former, a person might feel pinned down and reluctant to abandon it even if things go sour. The latter, a person might be passed up in favor of advancing the next generation up the ranks.

Seen family workers at companies expected to perform a lot of free, underpaid, or delay-paid labor in expectation that they'd want to "help out" the family business. Business may even ask for loans of family-employees and then never pay them back. Maybe not expecting an exploited sibling or child or cousin to want to sue. "Will I ever get this loan paid back? My account is looking mighty barren." "I paid for your food and school supplies when you were a kid, aren't we even?" Screw that.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Right now I'm very rarely seeing contract jobs advertised, if at all, in the engineering or tech sector.
And I'm seeing the same jobs advertised over and over, some aren't being filled in 6-12 months, for most of these you can't just hire an indian and hope for the best.

The only time I've taken a contract was with a former employer who I didn't want to work for and was happy to punish for their stupidity with a high rate for easy work.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Dilbert, I hope your procedure went alright.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
It was fine, just a check.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
I bought a Hilton hotel room Monday night. it hasn't shown up on my card yet. Usually stuff shows up instantly. Does it take long to process with them? Anyone used them before?
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6707|Oxferd Ohire
Did you stay in the room Monday or just reserve it?
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
I stayed in the room. I bought the room at the front desk.

Labor Day. That's probably it.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard