Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX

Dilbert_X wrote:

Not really, Chinese and Russians have been travelling for decades now, are they any less insular or deranged or nationalistic?

Americans have been the parody tourists from the beginning - same question
About a billion times more travel has been done in the last five decades than in the entire history of this planet, yet we're still facing existential threats from two nationalistic nations.

Meanwhile in Australia... we have farms bigger than various european nations. Wouldn't it be stupid if each farm had a different language, system of govt etc, isn't it about time they all stopped being petty nationalists and went over to speaking english?
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

What are you talking about?
uziq
+492|3422
totally unhinged.

didn't nixon's in-person visit to china literally defrost relations and usher in a whole new era of US–china diplomacy?

i wonder what's more conducive to the future of the planet and our chances of avoiding global war: everyone closing their borders permanently and refusing to make contact with any other nation, or mutual interchange and exchange? make u think!!!

australia is very big. it's important for dilbert that you know this. a helluva lot of his arguments seem to rest on the fact that 'australia big'. don't ask, i don't know either.

Last edited by uziq (2022-08-02 07:34:20)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX

uziq wrote:

didn't nixon's in-person visit to china literally defrost relations and usher in a whole new era of US–china diplomacy?
Er not exactly, China upped their game in the Vietnam war and redoubled their ""Hide your capacities, bide your time." strategy.
They fooled Nixon into believing something had been achieved but nothing was.

Still not an argument for schlubs to fly around to stand in bars.

i wonder what's more conducive to the future of the planet and our chances of avoiding global war: everyone closing their borders permanently and refusing to make contact with any other nation, or mutual interchange and exchange?
Neither seems to work, and the average peon travelling achieves exactly nothing.

make u think!!!
You should try it.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

How many books have you read on Vietnam? I thought your primary interest was WW2, yet not very well read on that either.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Revisited bookmarked internet novel I'd been lazily skimming some years back, turned out it was taken down by the author. Apparently they were going to re-edit the whole thing and self publish. I wish them luck, but a lot of that seems to turn into "and then they were never heard from again."

Was halfway through to the current point when I left off. Time for a good old round of wayback machine.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6686

uziq wrote:

australia is very big. it's important for dilbert that you know this. a helluva lot of his arguments seem to rest on the fact that 'australia big'. don't ask, i don't know either.
its almost like were a continent or something
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
uziq
+492|3422
i'm pretty sure dilbert has literally said 'yeah, australia's co2/capita stats are world-high, but our co2/km is very low'. that's how fucking retarded and dishonest that guy is.

Last edited by uziq (2022-08-05 06:34:29)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Imagine if the entire world had the same per-capita emissions as the worst offenders. Imagine expecting all countries but yours to tighten their belts so your own gut can hang out unimpeded. It's baffling.
uziq
+492|3422
but pEr capItA sTatS aRe miSleAdiNg.

until, of course, he wants to accuse you of being responsible for another host nation's per capita stats.

RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6707|Oxferd Ohire
I spent more time waiting for the bus at the sequoia grove than I did looking at sequoias
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

Did you go to Grant's Grove?
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6707|Oxferd Ohire
Mariposa on the way out of Yosemite
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

music searching on android like:

listening...
keep going......
almost there.........

unable to find a match.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

Sometimes it will return something completely different if it's struggling to find the song. Still way better than Shazam.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

I was admittedly running the thing through its paces with other background noises and voices to contend with. Sometimes even then it comes right up, sometimes not. Hit and miss.

Perhaps eventually, everyone's phones will just offer to reconstruct a song using AI if there are no hits.
uziq
+492|3422
lost a watch on a night out. pretty sure the girl who stayed over at my place took it. was not drunk so can’t think why i would have removed it when out of the house.

was an inexpensive one but a one-off collaborative release and they don’t sell them anymore. i feel naked leaving the house without it. boo.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

I've got a passed-down* pocket watch a fancy wristwatch somewhere. No idea if they still work, though I'm more partial to silver than gold coloration, and don't really wear suit jackets enough to complement the style I think. The metal wristband can get a little pinchy too, so there's that.

Been keeping an eye on smart watches, but even some of the ones recommended in "stylish" articles would still make it look like I'm ready for a conference call with Uncle Gadget. Also, I don't know if the biometrics are really there yet, though it's a feature I wouldn't mind in the future. Wouldn't mind picking up a casual quartz analog (doesn't have to be one of those bomber pilot or whatever things with a million dials). I mean I have my phone, but it's a giant glass brick to fish out of my pocket or off my belt.

* @mac
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

My friend has a tissot smart watch and i thought it was a pretty tasteful compromise between traditional watch aesthetics and smart watch capabilities.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

As smartwatches go, they're not too bombastic. Might fit on my list of considerations if I didn't already have two computers down the pipeline.

One of the things that makes me blanch is the prospect standing there tapping on your wrist. Bit of a dorky look with the old casio wrist calcs.
uziq
+492|3422
this watch was a seriously inexpensive 'field watch'-type thing so i'm not hurting financially or anything. i think it cost like $100 bucks and no doubt 75% of that was pure mark-up from the special collaboration aspect. i hardly ever buy expensive watches for just this reason. it's just annoying that this particular model was a limited one-off and isn't available to buy again because it was the perfect simple, minimalist accessory for just about every outfit i wear. uhuuu.

i'm not actually a 'watch guy' and never have been. but it does feel weird now being outside the house without one on my wrist, if only out of habit. i suddenly feel ... underaccessorized.

Last edited by uziq (2022-08-25 15:02:34)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

For whatever reason, I got a lot of accessories as gifts from grandparents and an aunt over my life. I've got enough random other stuff to perhaps accessorize for a lifetime as some things come back into fashion, or at least fit in as a beach bum. Or at a café. Just among those, like maybe one working watch. That I wouldn't let get anywhere near the water.

Sucks about your watch though, sorry 'bout that.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2022-08-25 17:06:40)

uziq
+492|3422
i'll treat myself to a lil' trip to their watchmaking/jewellery district, jong-no.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

uziq wrote:

this watch was a seriously inexpensive 'field watch'-type thing so i'm not hurting financially or anything. i think it cost like $100 bucks and no doubt 75% of that was pure mark-up from the special collaboration aspect. i hardly ever buy expensive watches for just this reason. it's just annoying that this particular model was a limited one-off and isn't available to buy again because it was the perfect simple, minimalist accessory for just about every outfit i wear. uhuuu.

i'm not actually a 'watch guy' and never have been. but it does feel weird now being outside the house without one on my wrist, if only out of habit. i suddenly feel ... underaccessorized.
Yeah I definitely feel naked when not wearing a watch now.

I'm actually going to the jewelry district in LA this weekend. Been hanging out a lot in West Hollywood and couldn't help but notice all the hardbodies wearing tasteful gold necklaces. They look FABULOUS
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6655|United States of America
I've been invited to a Sikh wedding of a friend and need to figure out what to wear. Got a rundown from talking to my friend and googling the do's and dont's, but I'm gonna have to buy at least a more vibrant shirt. If I saw more future use for it and had more time, it would be interesting to buy a fancy kurta.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard