Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX
Maybe you should try reading a map.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
uziq
+492|3422
i'm very aware of the map of seoul, thank you, and its topography and flood basins.

which is why i said that all of the above pictures and news about heavy flooding in gangnam are in areas which, oddly enough, were left totally undeveloped as swamp and floodplain until about 1980. which isn't an accident in the 700-year history of the city.

modern, concrete cities are not literally built on flood-prone land, dilderp. it might make the very best farming land but not generally the best land for major urban development. amazing revelation to you, i know. insofar as major 'civilizations' have developed on floodplains, they've generally done so alongside technological advances in irrigation, dams, levees, pumping stations, etc. which is precisely what i said above about gangnam flooding (as it is always the no. 1 candidate to do so) in exceptionally high rainfall, above the ability of the main river pumping stations to cope.

Last edited by uziq (2022-08-09 04:27:23)

RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6707|Oxferd Ohire

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

You drive by death valley anyway.
Yea just want to stop at parks/nice views on the way. Red Rock Canyon seems neat.
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

Where are you driving from? LA?
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6707|Oxferd Ohire
Vegas.
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Thunder overhead is so loud I thought someone crashed into a nearby building at first. Felt the wall rattle behind me. The cool day is much appreciated.

Much to harvest, might make kimchi.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

So, something different. I just evicted a house spider with leg diameter in excess of the palm of my hand. Also, warmer outside than the toasty, non air conditioned room I snatched it from. Will hopefully enjoy toasty nights of eating bugs in the garden.

Y'all wondering why I check my shoes.
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6261|Washington St.
Wolf spider? Fucking hate those things man. My bedroom in my dads house was in the basement and as a teenager I'd leave laundry all over and find them inside. Get the chills just thinking about always having to lift up my clothes and shake them out.
Not really dangerous just way bigger than a spider you want to see in your house in the center of a large city. Out in the jungle? Fine whatever.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

I think giant house spider, though possibly a wolf (this one seems to be the go-to, inexpert identification for any leggy beefcake of a spider we might run across) or a hobo. If I had thought to keep it long enough for a close-up photo I could have looked it up for certain, but it seemed eager enough to crawl into the squash patch.. Always something to think about when fishing around for an item in a place where spiders like to hang out, anyway.

Was easy enough to herd into a cup. Fat and in no hurry to scramble anywhere fast. Always worried I might pinch one of their feet, but I think I've gotten pretty good at ushering them into containers.

If the thing wasn't the size of a freaking raccoon, I would have probably just left it to do its spidery thing. Do not need it falling on me in the middle of a shower or something.

Absolute unit.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2022-08-18 19:07:27)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

I mentioned one site where you can submit photos of wildlife awhile back and have them ID'd. There's one for spiders called spiderid.com. Worth a look if you want to get to know your local rascals.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I had to evict a pretty big spider from the surface mount line at work, the receptionist was impressed by my bravery.

Also don't want another hand-sized hunstman falling out of the sunvisor while I'm negotiating a roundabout, thanks.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

If it's any comfort, the poor thing was probably confused by all the vibration and trying to scramble to safety.

Probably not much of an initial comfort though while you're negotiating a multi-lane roundabout or some complex highway interchange.
uziq
+492|3422
world’s worst ever heatwave in china. some areas have had record temperatures for 70+ consecutive days. totally unprecedented.

something like 400 million people are in a belt of land that is particularly susceptible to being microwaved. ditto in india and pakistan.

whilst we have been focussing on record rains in korea or european droughts, the level of disruption caused by the heatwave in china could very well tip her tottering zero covid economy into disaster. a heatwave for 3 consecutive months does something awful to productivity and supply chains.

may you live in interesting times!
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Don't worry, it's all a part of The Cycle and completely, geologically normal!
uziq
+492|3422
this disruption is doing wonderfully for my petro-stocks!
Larssen
+99|1858
Even accounting for global warming the drought in china is very abnormal. Not like we had/have a chance against climate change though.

I'm sorry for all the people already living in arid climates, they've got the short end of the stick.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

'Climate change' is ever the euphemism for anthropocene damage though, isn't it.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

world’s worst ever heatwave in china. some areas have had record temperatures for 70+ consecutive days. totally unprecedented.

something like 400 million people are in a belt of land that is particularly susceptible to being microwaved. ditto in india and pakistan.

whilst we have been focussing on record rains in korea or european droughts, the level of disruption caused by the heatwave in china could very well tip her tottering zero covid economy into disaster. a heatwave for 3 consecutive months does something awful to productivity and supply chains.

may you live in interesting times!
China have fucked themselves without a drought, half their farmland and groundwater its poisoned already.

Just think, if they weren't so grossly overpopulated they wouldn't be in this situation.

They desperately need a war to distract from all this and it looks like Emperor Xinping has no choice but to deliver it.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-08-24/ … /101339406

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2022-08-25 03:22:19)

uziq
+492|3422
china is not 'overpopulated'. there is no reason why they couldn't sustain their current population level if, indeed, they had anything like proper environmental controls and standards in place. it has been their rapid industrialization and uncontrolled expansion that has damaged their food/water supply, not the population figure per se.

china's population is going to collapse in the next 2-3 generations. i don't know why you keep regurgitating these 'brown and yellow hordes' racist tropes. it is so fucking boring, man.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
Mississippi's capital city lacks enough water pressure to fight fires, flush toilets and meet other critical needs because its main water treatment facility began failing Monday, the governor said -- a problem officials blame on longstanding water system problems and this week's river flooding.

The state is declaring an emergency for Jackson as it scrambles to begin distributing drinking and non-drinking water to up to 180,000 city residents, Gov. Tate Reeves said Monday evening. The National Guard is being called in to help distribute the water as crews work to get the water treatment plant back online, state officials said
That sucks.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
uziq
+492|3422
30% of pakistan is underwater, afflicting tens of millions of people and killing thousands. the country contributes about <1% to global climate emissions.

now THAT sucks.

Last edited by uziq (2022-08-30 09:35:53)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
What percent of Islamic terrorism does Pakistan produce?
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

It's completely bonkers. Feels like every year we have "unprecedented climate events," stuff is rapidly progressing into the realm of precedented.

Climate change skeptics, meanwhile, referring to some sci-fi novel they read in the 60s for the solution (not involving drastic reduction to emissions), or who actually look at receding ice in a positive light "we get the land back, never mind loss of fresh water resources!" "Anthropocene? George Carlin didn't believe in any of that nonsense."
uziq
+492|3422
was on the beach under a bright blue sky in 12 degrees all of two days ago.

now it's -11 and snowing. will take a walk in my nice azn outdoorwear and take some pics and videos at lunch. first time i've seen proper deep snow in korea. and i believe there's going to be plenty more of it in 6 weeks. i'm sure the novelty will wear off real fast.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Don't worry, it will.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard