Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX
There are no positive effects of population growth.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

That you are in the Australian suburbs in a living situation unrealistic for many has spoken for itself quite a lot now, one giant carbon footprint after the other.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
But if there were four of me it would be a whole lot worse no?
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Expecting the entire world to go live in sprawling isolation with their parents until both generations' dotage is not realistic.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689

Dilbert_X wrote:

There are no positive effects of population growth.
There will be more interesting stuff on the internet.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
uziq
+492|3422
there's an argument to be made that the more people there are, the more opportunities for genius, innovation, invention, etc. humans are quite literally a 'resource' in themselves, intellectual and physical, as much as they are resource-consumers in a wider ecosystem or dynamic.

this is the argument that techno-futurists and silicon valley gurus use. elon musk is on record on multiple occasions at this point spouting his kooky theory about 'everyone should have 8 kids'. of course, coming from billionaires who can't even pay their workers a fair wage or grant amenable working conditions, the 'we must all have large families' thing quite easily gets translated to 'i need more bonemeal for my financial empire'.

be that as it may, malthus has been thoroughly disproven at this point. dilbert's malthusianism is as outdated as his similarly victorian 'scientific racism'. malthus's predictions simply do not hold up. too many – yes – innovations and inventions have interceded since his made his predictions. not least the Haber process and Borlaug's contributions to agronomy. we now produce more food than ever on the smallest % of productive/arable land ever.
uziq
+492|3422

Dilbert_X wrote:

I have little sympathy for someone who decided to have three kids without planning how to pay for them and wants someone else to bail them out.

The population more than doubling every two generations is not sustainable, these people are the real terrorists.

Also Woodside Petroleum has done well for me this year, up 65%, 8.2% fully franked dividend easily pays my petrol bill.
but the population isn't 'doubling' because of people having 3 children, is it? can you do math, dilbert?

why do you have little sympathy for someone who expects to be able to raise a small family on a full-time wage?

the UK is the world's 5th largest economy. people are using foodbanks and facing real destitution this winter. things do not have to be this way.

but ok, blame the little guy for *checks notes* having 3 children. that's the problem here.

you are beyond parody. 'but my stonks are doing well!!!!'
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Statistics are very important to dilbert. That's why 2 parents having 2 kids are doubling the population. /s
uziq
+492|3422
history is a funny subject. if you studied it, you'd know that there have been population explosions at several junctures in human history. and that exponential or doubling growth, forever, has never happened and never will happen. the major population explosions of the 20th century are already levelling off.

do you think dilbert would have been right there with malthus in the 19th century complaining about 'the population doubling every generation', as it did in europe at the time? or is the problem racially coded? that there's now too many asians and soon-to-be too many africans? make u think.

world population is forecasted to peak in the early 2100s and then decline. at that point, on current trends, the growth rate is forecasted to be zero.

but of course this doesn't suit dilbert's rhetoric. let's blame a full-time-employed, humble bloke in the north of england (birthrate 1.65, way below replacement levels) with 3 kids for the cost-of-living crisis AND the population explosion! surely your average pleb is expected to plan ahead and forecast a 300% rise in energy bills!

what's important to the future of human life on this planet is that people like dilbert are allowed to continue profiteering from fossil-fuels companies.

Last edited by uziq (2022-08-03 23:45:00)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
If people persist in increasing the population unsustainably and consuming more and more fossil fuels why shouldn't I profiteer?

I'm not evil, they are.
uziq
+492|3422
you’re an idiot and a moral hypocrite.

kvetching about people taking planes - 2% of global emissions - whilst rubbing your hands with glee over the profits of PETROLEUM companies.

not only are you at the pinnacle of consumption and emissions globally, and deeply in denial of it despite repeated reminders on any number of metrics, you’re also financially invested in the fossil-fuels economy. lol. wow.

meanwhile you spend your time punching down on individuals who are much less blameless than you, in much tougher circumstances, and who are nowhere near as shielded from the vagaries of life as you are, a little quisling lickspittle who never bothered to stand on his own two feet.

imagine trying to make someone feel guilty for wanting children, whereas you equate profit as a higher moral necessity. 'i'm not evil, they are'. for ... having children? lol. the birthrate in most western countries is below the rate of replacement. i don't think the problem is western working people starting families. i think you could say, though, that the problem is the power and influence of the fossil-fuels industry. of which you're a shareholder. having kids: evil. profiting from oil: not evil. ok, derp derp derp. i mean, even pensions schemes and major institutions are divesting themselves of fossil-fuels investments at this point. if profit-seeking multi-billion dollar universities and pensions funds can see the moral squalor in it, i think you know there's something wrong. and yet you're entering the market and looking to make a quick buck.

honestly no one should ever listen to a thing you say. i mean, really. you get all high and pious about your veganism when the real reason for it is that you don’t actually like the taste of meat on a subjective level. you constantly guilt people over emissions and the ‘need for change’ but the only commitments you’re making are to your stock portfolio. you pretend to live by high ideals but really don’t have any. in reality, you’re a spiteful crank.

https://twitter.com/edcmpbl/status/1554 … G_V8Tzz1tg

Last edited by uziq (2022-08-04 02:57:17)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
You don't understand, I'm taking money from the oil companies.

Also, I'm not vegan and never said I am.
uziq
+492|3422
really now? shareholders 'take' money from companies? here i was thinking they funded them and helped take a share of the profits.

moron.
uziq
+492|3422
https://twitter.com/newstatesman/status … g8Z6YaqGGw

oh dear. at this point they're just saying anything to pander to the ~160,000 paid-in members of the conservative party.

including, apparently, burning the bridges with the swing electorate who delivered them to power in the last election with an 'overwhelming mandate'.

meanwhile, 'the worst economic prediction for a generation', thanks to the continued effects of the pandemic economic shutdown/slowdown and the ukraine war. 13.3% inflation predicted – a total crisis.

and dilbert's analysis? 'covid lockdowns work just fine', 'the workers should stop being lazy'. .

lazy morons! they should be profiteering off the price spikes like eco-warrior dilbs!

Last edited by uziq (2022-08-05 03:45:22)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

I feel like Jay came back briefly to boast of how now we were against the lockdowns or whatever, when he was against them all along. Did he do that, or am I just anticipating?

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2022-08-05 04:02:01)

uziq
+492|3422
yes, he did do that. missing the intervening, uhh, 18 months in which we developed an effective vaccine and figured out just what the nature of the beast was.
uziq
+492|3422
imagine blaming working people and single fathers for this crisis. totally toxic.

people in full time employment having to choose between utilities bills and food budget. and meanwhile dilbert is still being fed by his mummy.

Last edited by uziq (2022-08-05 20:07:44)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Britain has had a brief blip of people being able to do more than scrape by barely housing and feeding themselves.

Its steadily reverting to a life of heating, hot water and food other than staples being luxuries.

Many countries don't even get that blip.
uziq
+492|3422
great analysis, champ. don't quit your dayjob.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Thank you, I won't, I can do it in my sleep yet everyone seems to be in awe - its practically free money.
uziq
+492|3422
it's funny how one of the richest nations in the history of human civilization considers it 'normal' to have its majority of working people in effective penury. unable to pay for gas bills.

meanwhile france, next door, managed to keep their annual energy price rise to 4%. in england it's 300%.

i wonder why? oh, yes, dilbert has the answer: 'the UK had nice things once as a blip'.

truly you are a fucking retard.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Russia shares bizarre tourism video convincing people to move there
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/travel/russi … Q6Z73ZT6E/
(video embedded)

They literally end it with "winter is coming." Like, is that a veiled threat, or a coy Game of Thrones reference?

rofl

"traditional values, vodka. no cancel culture!"

I can't.

Yes, by all means move there if you are dissatisfied with "cancel culture." Have fun being canceled by the police for dissenting opinions.
uziq
+492|3422
you know a country is in trouble when their selling points revolve around consuming spirits.

'russia - life expectancy of a tropical-disease-blighted central african country! infinite vodka and de-icer!'
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

"Economy that can withstand thousands of sanctions," that's not the impression I've gotten from any of my Russian acquaintances online in recent months.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Joke will be on us maybe when the White Walkers descend from the Arctic.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard