KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

Flight shamed why?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX
Travelling half way around the world for a party?
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
uziq
+492|3422
genuine question dilbert: have you ever seen or visited/been visited by any of your friends or relatives from the UK? do you keep in touch with university friends?
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

Dilbert_X wrote:

Travelling half way around the world for a party?
I wouldn't classify Western Europe to NYC as halfway across the world, but it's been a bit since I've looked at a globe.

I'm flying to Seattle this weekend. Indiana and Pennsylvania in 2 weeks. Montreal and Oklahoma the week after.

I'm only looking forward to Seattle and Montreal.
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6261|Washington St.
It's hot up here ken. Low 90s. (that's hot for us)

Also, I'm not sure when it's supposed to arrive but we should be getting our annual smoke-from-wildfires soon
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Antipode of Europe should be like New Zealandish. Europe to NY, not even close.

Dilbert, didn't you fly on business? Couldn't that have been done remotely?

#koreaisinsoutheastasia
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

pirana6 wrote:

It's hot up here ken. Low 90s. (that's hot for us)

Also, I'm not sure when it's supposed to arrive but we should be getting our annual smoke-from-wildfires soon
Yeah I've been tracking the weather. 90s by the water should be bearable for me.

I'm playing golf in Orting on Saturday and Auburn on Sunday.

Also hoping to get a hike or two in. Any suggestions for a <10 mile hike within an hour of Seattle downtown?
Larssen
+99|1858
Flight shaming was introduced by the climate activist movement in scandinavia/northern europe in 2019 to make people fly less for the sake of the environment. Everyone must do their part. The argument is usually that we got along fine 20-40-60 years ago without flying near as much and that far off holidays every year are a frivolous luxury that should be shunned. Even worse would be short distance flights where a train could get you from point A to B in the same timeframe. Investing in more digital infrastructure is the touted solution. 'Why visit far off friends if u can just skype them??'

It's a misguided and hopeless attempt by climate zealots and the naive to coerce average people into changing their consumer habits through negative incentives, expecting voluntary changes in individual behaviours to be the key to solving the systemic and massive worldwide issue of climate change.

It also allows people to feel very self righteous. How could you not do your part? Don't you care about the climate?! Why aren't you eating less meat and no longer using plastic bags either? Shame unto thee!
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

I would definitely take the opportunity to adjust their perspective. Theoretically all you management consultants are well-versed in the Pareto distribution. Focus your efforts on the biggest offenders.

Do you have a colleague named Dilbert?
Larssen
+99|1858
I couldn't be bothered tbh and no I don't, thankfully. He's an otherwise intelligent person.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Larssen wrote:

and no longer using plastic bags either? Shame unto thee!
Grocery bags have been a source of amusement for years. The "story" kept changing on whether paper or plastic were worse for the environment. Well, both of them are bad.
uziq
+492|3422
there is a small case to be made when it comes to finding alternative forms of transport for short, intra-continental journeys. europe has a high-speed rail network, for one, which makes it at least feasible. it's probably fair to say that the last few decades of 'budget airlines' and short-haul journeys have created a needlessly wasteful and indulgent form of transport. i know a lot of people of my generation who think nothing of flying to european destinations for a weekend or even one clubnight, and doing so 6+ times a year. anyone who is flying to and from berlin, or from london to amsterdam, multiple times a year just to get drunk is probably pushing their own carbon conscience a little too far.

but, of course, critiquing individual lifestyles, and average consumer lifestyles at that, is just a silly way to focus one's efforts. the executive COO class consume as many air miles as 250 schlubs who need a weekend off their jobs to 'party' every now and then.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Larssen wrote:

I couldn't be bothered tbh and no I don't, thankfully. He's an otherwise intelligent person.
Thank you.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

I would definitely take the opportunity to adjust their perspective. Theoretically all you management consultants are well-versed in the Pareto distribution. Focus your efforts on the biggest offenders.
First you need to separate essential and non-essential energy use.

In the pareto of non-essential energy use flying around the world to stand in a bar drinking is about number one.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Someone flying across the Atlantic for social reasons probably isn't leaving as big of a footprint as a bigwig exec's multiple per-annum flights. Imagine flying halfway across the world hundreds of times just to shake clammy hands in what could have been a teleconference.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6707|Oxferd Ohire
People posts flight maps after every F1 race of all the private jets leaving the area.
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

Dilbert_X wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

In the pareto of non-essential energy use flying around the world to stand in a bar drinking is about number one.
Dilbert, Elon Musk has a higher carbon footprint in one week than I will have in my life. Focus on large offenders and then go after what you deem as non-essential travel.
Larssen
+99|1858
Constraining the movement of people is very low on my list in terms of things we should do to limit our climate impact. There's excesses of course, but I place very high value on cross cultural contact and exchange.

Let's just deal with our energy production and the massive pollution of global supply chains. That's about 90-95% of emissions anyway.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

fwp internet dictionaries

casually look up a word, "present participle of word." thanks, really helpful, i think i could have figured that out myself if i had the rest of the definition, at least append or link it so i don't have to retype.
uziq
+492|3422

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Dilbert, Elon Musk has a higher carbon footprint in one week than I will have in my life. Focus on large offenders and then go after what you deem as non-essential travel.
dilbert is just weirdly moralistic about average people having an average social life. that’s because he doesn’t have one.

i seriously wonder if anyone has ever visited him in australia. relatives or friends. either way, it’s damming isn’t it? either he’s a hypocrite or he’s genuinely never kept in touch with anyone from his UK life.
uziq
+492|3422

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

fwp internet dictionaries

casually look up a word, "present participle of word." thanks, really helpful, i think i could have figured that out myself if i had the rest of the definition, at least append or link it so i don't have to retype.
if you’re on a macbook you hard click and hold on any word and it pops up with a dictionary definition (plus optional wikipedia and web results).

why would anyone use a shitty internet dictionary anyway? all the major dictionaries are free and online.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Are you talking about his personal or corporate footprint?

I'm not interested in the argument "Other people are more careless than me, so I'm going to be careless too. Also I'm really concerned about the environment"
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Larssen wrote:

Constraining the movement of people is very low on my list in terms of things we should do to limit our climate impact. There's excesses of course, but I place very high value on cross cultural contact and exchange.

Let's just deal with our energy production and the massive pollution of global supply chains. That's about 90-95% of emissions anyway.
So, you should be allowed to do whatever you want, everything is someone else's fault, anyone who disagrees is stupid.

You have achieved the progress level of a three year old, congratulations. Your unlock is to be allowed to watch TV until 7pm.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

What on earth are you on about, dilbert?

I've been seeing more legislation against small offenders than the bulk of the problem. Maybe it's time someone shamed you for all the industrial machines you run at home. Don't you know those take power?

I mean if we're going to shame people for having a PC that's 100MHz faster than whatever guidelines are completely ignoring mismanaged commercial industrial waste and emissions, it's only fair.

And again, you live out in the air-conditioned, car-heavy burbs. This speaks for itself.
uziq
+492|3422

Dilbert_X wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Are you talking about his personal or corporate footprint?

I'm not interested in the argument "Other people are more careless than me, so I'm going to be careless too. Also I'm really concerned about the environment"
the public figure with the highest carbon footprint in the last year is … taylor swift.

don’t you go to those big silly stadium gigs with international touring pop artists? you’re propping up this behaviour? private jets all around the world? can’t you listen to that stuff at home?

sheer frivolousness. selfish man. sad!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard