uziq
+492|3422
the new yorker said you were cancelled, junot.

you need therapy and five years of contrition, secular or catholic. you can choose.

Last edited by uziq (2022-06-28 08:16:40)

Dauntless
Admin
+2,249|6712|London

@mac I highly recommend Baekjeong in Korea Town if you haven't been. It's some of the best Korean BBQ I've ever had (including restaurants in Korea)
https://imgur.com/kXTNQ8D.png
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6601|949

Baekjeong is a chain. Regarded as high prices but worth the money. I have one right around the corner from me. Definitely better quality than run-of-the-mill AYCE KBBQ
Dauntless
Admin
+2,249|6712|London

Oh I was only aware of the one in LA

I'd already been to both a few years ago but randomly connected with the NYC owner (Bobby Kwak) on clubhouse, seems like a cool guy
https://imgur.com/kXTNQ8D.png
uziq
+492|3422
i live next to one of the best K-BBQ places in seoul/korea at the moment. super long waiting lists for group bookings. like, you have to call 100+ times. seems a little bit over-the-top for what should be quite simple and unpretentious food (i mean, it's BBQ ...).

https://www.creatrip.com/en/blog/10216

it does look very good. funnily enough i'm often walking past it at early lunch-time, 11:30ish, and there's already a giant queue snaking around the block on every day of the week.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Some of the best Korean/otherwise places I've eaten at in WA were barely distinguishable from nearby homes. You wouldn't know it was a commercial building if not for the parking. Cute residential conversion, small, clean, non-chain, brief noncomplex menus. Good stuff.

I imagine a number of these businesses didn't survive the pandemic.
uziq
+492|3422
https://www.theguardian.com/society/202 … in-england
lockdown drinking could cause "25,000 excess deaths".

Both studies analysed the potential long-term impact of the trend towards heavier drinking. One, by academics at the University of Sheffield, found that under a worst-case scenario – in which those people keep drinking at Covid-elevated levels – an estimated 25,192 extra deaths could occur, along with 972,382 hospital admissions and a cost of £5.2bn to the NHS by 2042. It was based on modelling of 45 different alcohol-related health conditions.

The other, by the Institute of Alcohol Studies (IAS), yielded more conservative results. The IAS, in conjunction with Lumen Health, found that, again under the most pessimistic scenario, England may see 9,914 extra premature deaths and 147,892 additional cases of people left seriously ill with nine drink-related conditions, including breast cancer, liver cirrhosis and high blood pressure.

“These figures highlight that the pandemic’s impact on our drinking behaviour is likely to cast a long shadow on our health and paint a worrying picture at a time when NHS services are already under huge pressure due to treatment backlogs,” said Colin Angus, a senior research fellow at Sheffield, who led its study.

Sadie Boniface, the IAS’s head of research, said: “Changes in alcohol use during the pandemic led to a 20% rise in alcohol-specific deaths in England in 2020, and the worrying trends continue.

“Our study projects that if alcohol consumption stays at current levels … inequalities in deaths from alcohol will also grow wider than they already are. The results of the studies should be a wake-up call to take action.”

Alcohol caused 10,700 deaths and 640,000 hospital admissions in England, and cost the NHS £2.7bn to treat, in 2019, the year before Covid struck.
those yearly death figures from drinking are almost on par with the cartels' wars in narco-state mexico. wowsers.

interestingly, in other news, gen-z'ers and millennials are the most teetotal generation in decades. record levels of abstinence in 18–25 year olds; something like 30% just don't drink at all, even moderately in social occasions. they are also consistently the generations with the highest levels of drug use in other categories.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/202 … -off-booze

maybe they're just cottoning on, as generations began to do so with cigarettes and nicotine, to the fact that alcohol ... just isn't worth ruining your health and life over? and there are better alternatives? dun dun dun ... ! it makes boomers' reliance on some form of alcohol consumption in just about any social interaction seem a bit lame, eh? all that 'self-medicating'.

Last edited by uziq (2022-07-25 22:37:15)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6075|eXtreme to the maX
But by god do they talk.

20 minutes after asking a question with a yes/no answer I'm having to slowly back away, but they keep following.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
uziq
+492|3422
'they' being your boomer colleagues or gen-z'ers? i refuse to believe you interact with 18–25 year olds in any aspect of your hermit lifestyle. hell, gen-z'ers are a mystery even to me.

Last edited by uziq (2022-07-26 02:52:34)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
For some reason I do go to work.
uziq
+492|3422

very good.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

It's weird to me that so many boomers I know are so set against non-alcohol/tobacco drugs to an almost superstitious level. A disappointing result from a generation of hippies.

I can still probably count the number of drinks I've ever had by maybe around two dozen. Low alcohol content or low amount. I've never really felt "buzzed," and it's been some years since my last. Coffee is more my vice, but even that I drink sparingly. Weirdly, despite all those stereotypical warnings about peer pressure, the most pressure I've had to drink came from boomers. One a family member who warned me against alcohol as a kid, tried desperately to get me to have a beer on more than one occasion (??? /willsmith).

As for my peers, well, they were all cool with me having a fruit punch or something. No booze peer pressure, even at a college party, and even the drinkers there were light and non-toxic to be around.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

a generation of hippies.
The whole hippie thing was massively overblown, probably didn't amount to more than a few thousand people.

My Mexican colleague can't believe I've never been so drunk I've passed out or had memory loss..
Nope, never even been close.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2022-07-29 07:02:13)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

I think the last time I remember someone calling anything massively overblown here, it was a preface to like 300 pages of Jay craziness. Jayziness.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
I don't think panic attacks are real. I mean they are real for the person experiencing them but as I think the media created this disorder from nothing and now everyone thinks panic attacks are parts of their personality.

I know one guy who doesn't drink liquor anymore because he had a panic attack last time he drank. He teaches 6th graders. Ridiculous. He is a vegetarian. The 25 year old I want to wife up is also a vegetarian. Something is probably wrong with chemical balance from the no meat. They definitely have some weird wiring if eating a certain food will give the sick/dying feeling like their panic attacks.

My field observations lead me to believe their is a strong connection between mental illness and not enjoying a cheeseburger.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
https://cdn.psychologytoday.com/sites/default/files/styles/article-inline-half/public/field_blog_entry_images/PT_-_veggies_-_frequence_of_mental_illness_1.png?itok=tfKdAC3e
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

That's not a useful bar chart.

Your above take, quite hot lmao.
uziq
+492|3422
panic attacks are literally a thing. like it has marked physiological mechanisms. how retarded. please cut back on the vaping or edibles.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

SuperJail Warden wrote:

https://cdn.psychologytoday.com/sites/default/files/styles/article-inline-half/public/field_blog_entry_images/PT_-_veggies_-_frequence_of_mental_illness_1.png?itok=tfKdAC3e
I've noticed a clear correlation between people being smug and stupid and being carnivores.
uziq
+492|3422
sorry but no dice – smugness is practically a character trait of veganism.

just think, if you actually liked the taste of meat, you'd have one less thing to be sanctimonious about. all your eggs in the air travel basket!
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I'm sure I'd have not trouble finding something to be sanctimonious about, thank you.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

In all fairness, some internet communities are particularly smug about their anti-vegetarianism. Not one day without a comment. Meanwhile, the vegans and vegetarians who are supposed to be the intolerable smug ones account for maybe 1:10000 of smug diet posts if we want to be generous.

Sometimes it's peripheral. Someone posts a picture of a cute calf and there's like 20 comments to the effect of "mmm, hamburger" within 10 minutes. It's weird. I don't see any creepily salivating vegans boasting about how they would devour someone's pictured garden with a generous topping of salad dressing.

Even bacon is an enduring meme.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Just bottled enough cucumber kimchi for like 50 side dishes using mostly garden veggies. Can't wait for it to ferment a bit!
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Round zucchini harvest, sliced, with a small amount of thousand island dressing. Fresh! Might bake the next batch like fries. Enough on the way that I may need a few more bottles for some zucchini kimchi. May make sweet pickles out of the remaining cucumbers.

Well worth washing a dish, to eat non-depressing food. Take note, mac.
uziq
+492|3422
i am in general not keen on pickling and don’t think anything can be improved by being made into a kimchi.

the cucumber one i’ll just about take so long as it’s the asian-style cucumber and not the horrid water-filled ones we get in the west.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard