unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

That's just the superhero genre though. Comic books make fun and poke holes in themselves often enough that it's kind of hard to distinguish.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
Westworld season 4 is out. I had no idea until some Youtube person tried to pitch me a recap video.

Even the season 4 trailer looks bored.

Total ratings collapse.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_W … d_episodes

330,000 viewers for the premiere and dropping. Season 1 ended with 2.24 million viewers for an idea on how bad the drop is.

For reference for how bad that is...this masterpiece of a HBO show that you never heard of finished its final season (3) with about a million viewers per episode.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_T … #Season_3_(2017)

I was right about Westworld being trash. The viewers have confirmed it.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX
I am watching season 4, its the only show I watch.

Its now really a succession of scenes which may be in the past, the now or the future, its hard to say.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

I don't think I watched Westworld, but I'm tired of shows in general stretching stuff out unnecessarily and inconclusively. On the off chance it's one I enjoy, I just know it's going to get canceled without even tying up season 1's arc. The ones I drop, 15 additional seasons as soon as I look the other direction, still with no conclusion.

Although GoT fans got (ergh) especially screwed. Maybe probably better for a show to burn out, than fade away.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
Did anyone watch the new GoT yesterday? I didn't.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
No
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

You'll have to drag me kicking and screaming into any new kind of GoT. Most new TV shows for that matter. Give me something with a beginning and an end. I don't want to invest 480 minutes or whatever just to get the rug pulled out from under me without a proper conclusion.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I didn't watch the original GoT, I saw snippets of it and it just looked like soap opera in outfits.

Lost at least had Evangeline Lilly
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
I didn't watch the new show just because I am still a sour bitch over the ending of the original game of thrones. But the story this show is based on does have a completed ending.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Dilbert_X wrote:

I didn't watch the original GoT, I saw snippets of it and it just looked like soap opera in outfits.

Lost at least had Evangeline Lilly
GoT was ok imo until like season 3 (mentioned this at least three times). I guess contrary to my above, with hindsight I wouldn't have minded if it ended there. Revise some of the absoluteness out of my previous I guess. But even knowing full well that it's unrealistic to expect every episode of something can be a hit, I still feel done with shows dragging their feet and tying up loose ends by dumping the whole tangle of threads in a vat of weak paste.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Watched Amazon's new Middle Earth trailer. Dwarf woman still doesn't have beard.

Also quite frustrating that nobody has the balls to do anything with the blue wizards and less addressed lands away from places like Gondor, Mordor, and Erebor. Give me some drama from the land of Rhûn! I don't care if it gets fanficky with a lack of source material.
uziq
+492|3422
there is honestly something pitiable about the fact that it’s 2022 and people are queuing up avidly for star wars, LotR and GoT spin-offs. let that shit go, dweebs.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

The above shows have been coming out ranging for like a half a century. There's probably people twice my age playing D&D. I'm quite happy to wash my hands of most of it, but tend to not look down on people for having their nostalgic comforts, unless they cross over into claims like it all being "so much better than your boring dramas."

That said, this new middle earth thing really seems like it's trying to be a quiet release. Out like Sep 1 and I've barely seen any amazon ads about it.
uziq
+492|3422
a quiet release? didn't they spend like 10 years and a bajillion dollars on it?

mind you, amazon wasted an immense amount of money and resources on their 'next-gen MMO', too.

i've read some very interesting things about the way that all of the subsidiaries and teams under amazon have to kowtow to this same corporate management orthodoxy and company culture, which is basically VERY bad for creatives. it totally derailed the MMO project, even when they had all of the industry's most talented people on their payroll. i have little hope for a LOTR show.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

The Amazon MMO had a bit of a rough launch. I'd guess it's all ironed out by now, but I just don't have the long-term gaming bandwidth to dedicate to something like that. Ark went 100% free-to-get for a time, but I haven't even installed it yet. It too is a sink from everything I'm told.

I don't really understand their marketing for the LOTR show. It feels like it was barely promoted on the site, or somehow I was just missed in a lot of advertising. I don't really see it anywhere else unless in the nerd section of an e-mag. I would've thought I'd be hearing no end of it all year long for a Sep release.

Worse off, I think a new Batman universe film was entirely shit-canned after completion. Not even a straight-to-stream release, lmao. Imagine getting news of that in your inbox after your wrap party. Hopefully everyone gets paid in full, but it still kind of sucks to not see your work even if it's for *gag* DC.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
I would watch the first episode of the new GoT if I didn't need a HBO Max subscription. I presume at some point in the run up to season 2, HBO will make the pilot available for nonsubscribers.

Reverse Westworld
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_of_ … n#Episodes
uziq
+492|3422
this thread is deeply gay. all the shows you guys talk about sound like serialised cucking. who could possibly give a fuck about any of this shit?

‘oh? a new hot turd that requires 40 hours of my life? i’m all in!’

read a book you fucking losers.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

All these geek franchises right now are full of nerds who complain about how bad it is and how bad the next thing is going to be, but they watch every minute of it anyway.

Rise above! Or make peace with the fact that this stuff is just dumb fun out to sell merch.
uziq
+492|3422
i'm honestly just astonished that people are still getting excited about the same 3 fucking extended universes.

how many times are you going to get excited about a different coloured light-saber or a baby yoda? jesus christ, ask for better.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

i'm honestly just astonished that people are still getting excited about the same 3 fucking extended universes.
You mean these three?

- Jew Universe

- Christian Universe

- Muslim Universe

Marvel etc could go for another 4,000 years easily.
uziq
+492|3422
you really do make some crackpost arguments for a grown man. you make me facepalm, honestly.

'the marvel universe is as valid as all that MADE-UP fantasy religion stuff!!!!!'

you're like a pound-shop version of dawkins. even your polemics can't be bothered and taste like diluted milk.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
So what is the value in made up fantasy religion?
uziq
+492|3422
a more germane comparison would be to the pantheon of ancient greek or rome, with their panoply of myths, legends, drama and theatre, etc.

but you're off tilting at windmills over jews and muslims again. oh dear, oh very dear.

my point is pretty simple. if you look at the proportion of new movies today which are either (a) sequels or (b) part of a franchise, that proportion has increased hugely since, say, the 1990s. only the teensiest fraction of new movies in hollywood's golden age, for instance, were sequels or franchises. we live in an era of mass-produced and derivative rubbish. this is a pretty uncontroversial take, dilbert. if martin scorsese can start debates in the film press over this issue, it hardly suggests i'm making some frivolous or quizzical argument.

if you want to elevate wonder woman and captain america to the status of de facto deities and put great stock and 'value' in them, well you do you, my guy. being defensive over pulpy comics made for children and illiterate GIs ... sad ! imagine pretending that you can take offense at people being mean about franchise movies or star wars tv spin-offs in the same way that people take offense when you insult their faith and belief system. do you pray every day to yoda and live your life in accordance with jedi principles?

you are a fucking moron, fair play.

Last edited by uziq (2022-09-01 04:20:00)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
There's no such thing as a de facto deity though.

do you pray every day to yoda and live your life in accordance with jedi principles?
Pretty much.

Religions were the superhero franchises of ancient times no?
uziq
+492|3422
no, they were not. perhaps put the cultural studies ambitions on hold for now. you need to do a bit more homework.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard