SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
She was probably a Satanist. Very in character for a stripper to be distant from God.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
lil_droo
+19|1465

SuperJail Warden wrote:

She was probably a Satanist. Very in character for a stripper to be distant from God.
yeah i highly doubt anyone involved in sex work legitimately believes in God. idk if she was a legit satanist could've just been an edgy goth/punk type girl
gang shit
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

I joined a golf club about a year ago, and have played maybe 10 events since. I just won my first tournament this past weekend.

Turn me into a frog meme bc feelsgoodman.jpg
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
Congrats on your golf success, frog man.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

lil_droo wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

yeah i highly doubt anyone involved in sex work legitimately believes in God. idk if she was a legit satanist could've just been an edgy goth/punk type girl
Mary Magdelane was a whore. Sex work is as entrenched in Christianity as the crucifix.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

lil_droo wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Mary Magdelane was a whore. Sex work is as entrenched in Christianity as the crucifix.
That wasn't in the bible but was an medieval invention. That said it was a good one.

There are some things about Jesus I don't like.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

Haha I didn't know people still pick and choose what parts of the Bible are canon.

Is Cain canon? Is Caanan canon? Are there cannons in the biblical canon?
Dauntless
Admin
+2,249|6712|London

A few of my friends started playing golf a few weeks ago and I'm joining them for a game next week.
I haven't swung a club in about 16 years tho.

I think I'd enjoy getting into golf but it also seems like it'll be a massive time sink
https://imgur.com/kXTNQ8D.png
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

I haven't really been out since my grandpa coached me as a kid. Whenever I play around with a club at a sports store I still go into an interlock grip.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX
Never played golf, my back is too valuable to me.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
uziq
+492|3422
unbelievable what’s coming back from the JWST.

seems like for the next few months i’m going to get paid to stare deep into the universe and read a bunch of bright minds try to figure out what new structures and phenomena are, for the first time.

hard not to be over-ridden with awe when you’re staring at a several gb source file of a star-forming nebula with your coffee, in your underwear, in the morning.

and to think i got a payrise last month to do this shit. sluuuuuurp. probably the most exciting period in astrophysical research in the last 40 years.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

If you smoke a joint before you start looking at the pics and thinking about the vastness and our insignificance, it makes it like 100× better.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

That reminds me- I'm going backpacking in the Sequoias this weekend, and I have some mushrooms to take. Looking forward to it!
uziq
+492|3422

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

If you smoke a joint before you start looking at the pics and thinking about the vastness and our insignificance, it makes it like 100× better.
yeah i'm definitely putting on some boards of canada (the closest you'll get to an active psychoactive substance in this country) and wigging out the next time i have some low-concentration citations work or correspondence to see to.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

I'm sure that someone, somewhere, has made a joke to the effect of it still being unable to capture the vastness of 'your mom.'

Seriously though, I kind of hope that the people who had fully dismissed JWST for the early Feb stuff feel dumb now. "So much money for a blurry space selfie, I'm done watching this."
uziq
+492|3422
the people who dismissed the JWST because of the tiny mirror strike have absolutely no idea what they're talking about. the thing has been under design since the 1990s. yeah, it did occur to them in the last 30 years that the mirror arrays might take some hits. it has been designed with those redundancies and recalibration features in mind.

we literally have pictures of the universe right up to about 13.5 billion years ago. that's 200-300 million years off from the absolute beginning. kind of mindboggling. less like staring the vastness of "ur mom" and more like looking at a family portrait of you when you were a zygote.

the crazy thing about the deep field imagery is that it relies on gravitational lensing. we're essentially pointing the most powerful telescope we have ever assembled at one of the nature's most vast natural telescopes to peer through the curvature of light in space-time to the beginning of everything.

Last edited by uziq (2022-07-12 13:03:51)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

I am really excited to see more and read about it. Child-me would be losing their mind right now. It's Hubble all over again.
uziq
+492|3422
hubble was definitely a paradigm leap, but JWST is just leagues ahead on so many fronts beyond basic optics/range.

JWST's research projects are firmly part of the AI/machine-learning era. there have been several massive all-sky or similar surveys undertaken in the last 20-30 years, e.g. sloan digital sky survey, the gaia survey, etc, that has fetched data on billions of galaxies. using cutting-edge AI algorithms we are able to find interesting candidates, e.g. of gravitational lensing or potential quasars, etc, to generate shortlists of targets for JWST's 'shotgun mic' option. a lot of research into quasars or exoplanets before AI and big data, using teams of human researchers with primitive technology like radio arrays on earth, made the mostly manual search for space objects a bit like fishing for samples in the pacific ocean using a thimble. 

ditto for exoplanets, which is where JWST is really going to deliver. massive projects like TESS, the transiting exoplanet survey satellite, have been generating shortlists of potential systems with exoplanets in them. JWST will, for the first time, be able to zoom-in to these planets at an unbelievable level of detail, so that we can confirm suppositions about the chemical signatures of planetary atmospheres for the first time with high-quality data. exoplanetary research is one of the current forefronts of astrophysics, a very young field comparatively speaking. we've only found about 5k exoplanets in the milky way and a handful of 'extragalactic' exoplanets. JWST is going to be a huge boon to that research.

pretty sure in the next few weeks a lot of papers are going to be published identifying faraway exoplanets with confirmed water signatures, if not even potential markers of biological processes. on planets potentially even in other galaxies. it took us until very recently to even get that sort of detailed information about, say, the moons of jupiter, like the galilean moons, using physical probes. it's going to blow the doors wide open.

Last edited by uziq (2022-07-12 13:57:09)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
I hope we don't find any signs of life anywhere else in the universe. If life exists elsewhere, what we do here doesn't really matter.
uziq
+492|3422
there's nothing that says your life here intrinsically matters, either. nietzsche wrote his famous words almost 150 years ago.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
All Lives Matter, Uzique. If life only exists on Earth then it is special.

I don't want my descendants to attend the same school as Ewoks.
uziq
+492|3422
how would your life be rendered 'pointless' if we discovered the oxygen gas traces of (potentially) a bunch of microalgae on a planet 4.5 light years away? weird flex, but okay.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
The likelihood of life after death is much lower if there is life everywhere. I doubt there is a heaven for every planet.
uziq
+492|3422
you're not going to heaven anyway. you're a fornicator.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
I am going to heaven. I believe in Christ our lord and savior.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard