uziq
+492|3422
imo your typical dyed-in-the-wool conservative, anti-abortion activist, to say nothing of the evangelicals or hardcore christians with their own sexual politics (i.e. no sex before marriage), are individuals whose entire conception of sex lives are pre-modern and pre-urban. your smalltown conservative probably only ever has sexual relations with fewer than 5 women in their entire lives, and they are all from their extended kinship network, high-school graduating class, township, etc. modern, urban, dating rituals are alien and intimidating to them. it's for socially and geographically mobile people.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689

uziq wrote:

imo your typical dyed-in-the-wool conservative, anti-abortion activist, to say nothing of the evangelicals or hardcore christians with their own sexual politics (i.e. no sex before marriage), are individuals whose entire conception of sex lives are pre-modern and pre-urban. your smalltown conservative probably only ever has sexual relations with fewer than 5 women in their entire lives, and they are all from their extended kinship network, high-school graduating class, township, etc. modern, urban, dating rituals are alien and intimidating to them. it's for socially and geographically mobile people.
I was reading an article in the Atlantic about how the "millennial lifestyle subsidy" (cheap Ubers, cheap doordash, etc.) is over since the venture capital holding it all up will need to make a return on their investment soon. When the article was written about in National Review the author and commenters were all happy that the "millennial lifestyle subsidy" was coming to an end.

"Good Riddance to the ‘Millennial Consumer Subsidy’"
https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/g … r-subsidy/
The city-dwelling youth whose lifestyles have depended on the cheap availability of services and products through these companies must now contend with “higher prices, higher margins, fewer discounts, and longer wait times.” And I say good riddance — and not just as someone who had long tailored his life mostly to avoid excessive reliance on such things. Whatever their utility in certain situations — a utility that will not expire entirely, even for a stick-in-the-mud like me — inexpensive access to such products by such means enabled a lifestyle for many that prioritized instant gratification, superficiality, and dependence over planning, sustained engagement, and self-reliance. Not to mention the dubious economics behind the whole affair, now being exposed.

If those who once built their lives around these things must now retreat from them somewhat, and others never get the chance to build a life around them in the first place, then I consider that a good thing. The Millennial Consumer Subsidy deserves to be slashed.
Huh? YGOS? Why would anyone really want to end the party of cheap/easy to access stuff? Either the guy who wrote that is only telling the boomers on NR what they want to hear or he has some sort of malfunction. Maybe a personality disorder or secret homosexuality. "Mom I can't use Tinder to find a girlfriend because I am a social conservative" Sure dude.

What does this have to do with abortion? 5 partners in your entire lifetime. That is fucking lame and I kind of hope that the people who advocate for "rolling back the sexual revolution" know and can feel how lame that choice is every day. I hope it hurts.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
uziq
+492|3422
i've read the same thing re: uber, airbnb, deliveroo/doordash, etc, coming to a (justifiable) end. however, it seems a bit unfair to lay the blame for that at millennials' feet, just because they were active consumers of ride sharing apps and bought takeaway on their phone. they didn't found or preside over these companies; they didn't invent the rapacious model, nor are they the stalwarts of 'platform capitalism' like jeff bezos et al, who for years operated at massive losses to undermine and 'disrupt' industries.

i did read that the heavily subsidised apps helped to paper over the cracks of stagnating wages and a measurable decade of lost progress, though. letting people order restaurant food to their door or take cheap cab-rides around everywhere gave them a feeling of 'cheap affluence' at a time when their real-world earnings were dying a death. again, not millennials' fault, though. they didn't create the macroeconomic situation nor the apps that capitalized on that juncture in history.

of course, conservatives blame it on 'hedonism' and 'self-indulgence of youth'. as if it's not perfectly rational consumer behaviour to opt for cheap and nice things when you are poor and paying 70% of your take-home pay on landlordism and bills.

Last edited by uziq (2022-07-11 15:40:25)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
Agree though with the caveat that some of these "disruptive" tech innovations were in fact genuine tech innovations. I feel bad for the individual taxi drivers whose livelihood was derailed by ride sharing apps but the taxi industry as a whole was toxic in many ways. The malls destroyed by Amazon had their own host of issues. The owners of tech companies wouldn't piss on me if I were on fire but I also think people should realize that "knocking the tech companies down a peg" will be for the betterment of some other capital interest. Even the small capital owners, America's beloved small business owners, oftentimes operate with the same ruthlessness as Amazon or Google.
uziq
+492|3422
right, and agreed. but millennials very seldom are the capitalists, entrepreneurs, property or asset owners, etc, in this scenario. it reeks of punching down to blame the consumers who used uber for their 'vapid millennial lifestyles', whilst a whole new billionaire class have been minted out of these dodgy industries.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
It is totally within character for conservatives to punch down on the least powerful people in an exploitative economic system. I think that reveals something about the writers and their audience too. Elon Musk is so removed from us that he is as real to us as any Game of Thrones character. But while 99.99% of right wingers don't know Elon, they do know plenty of young people who go out and have fun without giving them any second thought. And that really burns them up more than anything a venture capitalists is up to.

I do think a lot of the culture war nonsense is miserable people getting upset that other people are having fun without them.
https://i.imgflip.com/4oluwn.png
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

As a millennial, I have better things to do than make time for most articles about millennials.

I've noticed less older people writing about it compared to the aughts. I've checked journalist profiles, and younger people are definitely writing articles about the latest nasty thing about millennials for older people's consumption. A millennial's gotta make a living!
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
I can't even be mad at them for it. I respect the hustle.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

"Those darned millennials are at it again, and you won't believe what!"
by Jane Doe, 33

You're right, not even mad.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX

uziq wrote:

i've read the same thing re: uber, airbnb, deliveroo/doordash, etc, coming to a (justifiable) end. however, it seems a bit unfair to lay the blame for that at millennials' feet, just because they were active consumers of ride sharing apps and bought takeaway on their phone. they didn't found or preside over these companies; they didn't invent the rapacious model, nor are they the stalwarts of 'platform capitalism' like jeff bezos et al, who for years operated at massive losses to undermine and 'disrupt' industries.

i did read that the heavily subsidised apps helped to paper over the cracks of stagnating wages and a measurable decade of lost progress, though. letting people order restaurant food to their door or take cheap cab-rides around everywhere gave them a feeling of 'cheap affluence' at a time when their real-world earnings were dying a death. again, not millennials' fault, though. they didn't create the macroeconomic situation nor the apps that capitalized on that juncture in history.

of course, conservatives blame it on 'hedonism' and 'self-indulgence of youth'. as if it's not perfectly rational consumer behaviour to opt for cheap and nice things when you are poor and paying 70% of your take-home pay on landlordism and bills.
They use those businesses though, they have the choice not to, then they wonder why the only jobs they can get are with deliveroo and chaturbate.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
uziq
+492|3422
yes, it's totally millennials' fault that giant, venture-capital-backed firms with the ear of politicians and immense lobbying power connived to end well-paying, often union-backed jobs and introduced a new gig economy with zero worker protections and undercut wages .

seriously, DO BETTER.

'yes, but those proles used the coal in their homes, though, they had the choice not to ... it's really their fault for the 20-hour work days down the mines, the minimum working age of 8, and the silicosis in their lungs'.

let me guess, you think your average 25-year-old could be on the housing ladder and doing well in life if only they quit 'buying avocados on toast and fancy lattes and actually saved up, like i did, back in my day ...'.

Last edited by uziq (2022-07-12 04:51:01)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Do you have the choice of using a taxi or an uber, getting food delivered or going to a restaurant, going to the cinema or watching Netflix on your ipad?

Its a death spiral to the bottom and you choose to participate.
uziq
+492|3422
of course, conservatives blame it on 'hedonism' and 'self-indulgence of youth'. as if it's not perfectly rational consumer behaviour to opt for cheap and nice things when you are poor and paying 70% of your take-home pay on landlordism and bills
"you choose to participate." please unpack 'choice', here.

poor people spend their money on modest luxuries, seemingly against the interests of their long-term prudential fiscal planning. it's a way to allay the stress of being functionally destitute and one payslip away from homelessness all the time. 'it's expensive to be poor', as the line goes from consumer psychology. this is a well-studied phenomenon arising from economic inequality in consumer societies. forgive the people who use a delivery app once a week as a salt-rich dopamine fix to stand in for a decade of lost earnings and zero assets status.

i guess millennials should all be eating canned goods and scrimping and saving for 15 years for that first deposit, eh? goddamn that $9 a month netflix subscription! that stuff really adds up! or, perversely, they should be choosing to make a stand and ... spending far more money on their recreational budget, in order to 'stick it' to the vast venture-capital-backed firms like netflix? what are you even saying, seriously. expecting those with the least disposable income to turn their noses up at the cheapest options?!? what?

spare me this bullshit, by the way, you who had zero debt as a graduate and has lived at home for his entire life. it's all about takeaway deliveries and streaming subscriptions, is it? please, tell me more. shouldn't you technically be the front-line troops fighting back against uber, netflix, doordash, etc, by making 'ethical' consumer decisions? you're the consumer group with all the disposable income, doofus.

Last edited by uziq (2022-07-12 05:49:18)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689

uziq wrote:

yes, it's totally millennials' fault that giant, venture-capital-backed firms with the ear of politicians and immense lobbying power connived to end well-paying, often union-backed jobs and introduced a new gig economy with zero worker protections and undercut wages .

seriously, DO BETTER.

'yes, but those proles used the coal in their homes, though, they had the choice not to ... it's really their fault for the 20-hour work days down the mines, the minimum working age of 8, and the silicosis in their lungs'.

let me guess, you think your average 25-year-old could be on the housing ladder and doing well in life if only they quit 'buying avocados on toast and fancy lattes and actually saved up, like i did, back in my day ...'.
When I went to Dunkin Donuts with the 25 year old I ordered avocado toast and an iced latte. We had a laugh about how white girl my order was.
uziq
+492|3422
Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
I am glad it does. I will keep you updated.
uziq
+492|3422
siihb
uziq
+492|3422
https://www.lrb.co.uk/the-paper/v44/n12 … and-a-beer

long write-up on roe vs. wade by deborah friedell.

found this bit of background very interesting:

In 1970, 70 per cent of Baptist pastors ‘supported abortion to protect the mental or physical health of the mother’; 90 per cent of Texas Baptists thought their state’s abortion laws were too restrictive. The president of the Southern Evangelical Seminary once explained in the Baptist Press that before Roe v. Wade, as far as his fellow seminarians had been concerned, abortion was a ‘Catholic issue’. Nor had abortion been a partisan cause. Many Democrats, particularly Catholic voters in the north-east, were pro-life. Prominent Republicans, including (for much of their careers) Ronald Reagan and George H.W. Bush, were often pro-choice on principle – they were, after all, meant to be the defenders of individual liberty. Many states would probably have eventually liberalised abortion laws on their own. In 1970, abortion was legal in two, Oregon and California. By the end of that year, Alaska, Hawaii, New York and Washington would all repeal criminal penalties for abortionists (with varying restrictions). Other states seemed to be loosening up – if not making abortion legal outright, then at least allowing exceptions for pregnancies that were the result of rape or incest. Georgia began to allow abortions when a foetus had a ‘defect’ that was ‘grave, permanent and irredeemable’.

But not Texas ...
good read.

Last edited by uziq (2022-07-13 17:39:32)

Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6686

uziq wrote:

siihb
i havent heard of that phrase in a long time.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
I have heard stories about women getting quizzed about their travel from cops now. Red states of course.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Dilbert_X wrote:

People won't be able to get to the pro-choice states though.

https://img.freepik.com/free-photo/two-male-police-officers-checking-driver-s-license-policemen-uniform-protect-law-registration-offense-cops-work-city-street-order-justice-control_266732-29817.jpg?w=2000
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

I posted about this in the cop thread. Tl;dr version cops fishing around at traffic stops always sucks. Just another reason now for it to suck even more.
uziq
+492|3422

Cybargs wrote:

uziq wrote:

siihb
i havent heard of that phrase in a long time.
if you write "c s b" without the spaces it still gives the stock text. i guess that was back in the era when every 3rd post was 'c s b', 'siiihb' or 'chuchhhh' or something.

Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
Yo Kansas. Wow.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Apparently the stories of lifesaving abortion reached even the Trumpiest of districts. The resounding no is a good omen maybe, but I don't trust some of these governments to not go ahead and do a thing against the sentiment of voters. Constant vigilance!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard