unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

The Gays have the rainbow.

The Manly Men get movies depicting hot steaming melee, when they're not occupied in close quarters with their sweaty comrades all packed into a van to go point their "guns" at liberal protesters across the country.

I've read some positive feedback on The Northman's historical settings. I'm not expecting a masterpiece, but I'll give it a fair shot.

The above reviewer citing "300," rofl, I've got news for him.

https://worldhistory.us/ancient-history … greece.php

"Just Men being Men."

oof
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
Unhuman 6/10 until the last 40 minutes where it becomes a 4/10.

I actually paid $15.98 to buy this movie from Amazon.

Gen Z high school kids Zombie apocalypse. Okay premise. Movie was pretty meh until the last 40 minutes which was so bad I couldn't believe that they actually went there with this movie.

So last 40 minutes of the movie you find out that there is actually no zombie apocalypse. Instead two of the nerdy kids conspired with the bus driver and some other dudes to prank their friends into thinking there was a Zombie outbreak in order to be heroes to their girl crushes. The zombies are just people who are drugged up. The plan fails and everyone survives except the Zombie pranksters who eventually become murderous in order to cover up their plan.

RT is derp again. FWIW the critics seemed to have hated the twist and would have preferred a genuine zombie apocalypse.
https://i.imgur.com/iEGukWb.png
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

As a seasoned zombie enjoyer, you knew more or less what you were getting into. I would have expected no better than a 5/10 at a glance.

It sounds like the twist (save me from the "it was fake news all along" trope) that there were no zombies doesn't save this from being a dumb teen survival horror. In fact, the twist makes it even dumber. Why would a bus driver and a bunch of nerds conspire to injure a bunch of teens and get a bunch of people on zombie drugs? A tentatively generous 3/10 without even seeing it. So far down the backburner I might get to it in 2155.

When I rode school busses, I regarded those exposed metal seat frames in front of everyone's faces with a morbid imagination. They're probably padded now.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
The bus driver conspired with the teens to crash a bus and commit a mass casualty event to spite the teacher who bullies him at work and in high school. Two other adults, people who should know better, went along with this plan because one was really addicted to drugs and bored and one had some mental hang-up about being bullied in school. The idea was to stage an attack in which the "bullies" would be humiliated by the Zombies while the 'outcast' would be heroes to the girls. The plan went sideways when one girl noticed they were being monitored in the rave house they were running around in. So the plan became to kill her, and the bullies by using weapons the 'outcast' found to beat the bullies to death while they were high on the designer drug that turned people temporarily into zombies.

So the movie had something to say about how bullying is bad but at the same time the bullies win in the end when it is revealed the outcast were in fact checks notes murderers and rapist.

Again, I haven't read a single reviewer or commentator who liked this twist.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
Pearl Harbor from 2001 is one of the worst war movies ever. I tried watching the first 30 minutes and had to shut it off. The first 30 minutes sets up a love triangle between Josh Hartnett, Ben Affleck, and some lady. Zzzzzzzz

Roger Ebert of the Chicago Sun-Times gave the film one and a half stars, writing: "Pearl Harbor is a two-hour movie squeezed into three hours, about how, on Dec. 7, 1941, the Japanese staged a surprise attack on an American love triangle.
uziq
+492|3423
it's one of his most famous zingers.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

It's an interesting challenge finding a WW2 movie that is short, reasonably accurate, will interest Mac's kids, and will anger few parents (Axis perspective might blow up in a teacher's face).

It's difficult to not simply recommend a segment out of a documentary like WW2 in HD. Or the Burt Lancaster -narrated Unknown War to cover a part of the war that isn't typically focused on in American education, though this might unfairly paint Mac as a commie sympathizer in the eyes of a MAGA.

I would suggest Tuskegee Airmen ('95) over Red Tails. PG-13, only 106 minutes.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
Tuskegee Airmen is CRT. Not in this classroom.

I decided to start Pearl Harbor 1 hour and 22 minutes into the movie to go straight to the attack on Pearl Harbor. As bad as the romance and other stuff in the movie, the battle itself is actually amazing. I really appreciate Michael Bay's use of practical effects. Looks great especially compared to the almost all CGI Midway from last week.

The attack in the movie is nothing like the attack in real life by the way. Still a fun watch though.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

I suppose you could have a consent form for PG-13 movies if they feature black people.

I would recommend Tora! Tora! Tora! over Pearl Harbor. Imperfect movie also, but good action scenes.

War Man
Australians are hermaphrodites.
+563|6684|Purplicious Wisconsin

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

The Gays have the rainbow.

The Manly Men get movies depicting hot steaming melee, when they're not occupied in close quarters with their sweaty comrades all packed into a van to go point their "guns" at liberal protesters across the country.

I've read some positive feedback on The Northman's historical settings. I'm not expecting a masterpiece, but I'll give it a fair shot.

The above reviewer citing "300," rofl, I've got news for him.

https://worldhistory.us/ancient-history … greece.php

"Just Men being Men."

oof
Northman was alright. It isn't as action packed as the trailers portray it, actually is more psychological than anticipated but that is fine by me.

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

I suppose you could have a consent form for PG-13 movies if they feature black people.
Nevermind there being segregation back then and for awhile blacks couldn't participate in combat branches like the infantry until later in the war.

Last edited by War Man (2022-06-19 14:40:39)

The irony of guns, is that they can save lives.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

re: segregation, when it's pointed out that this stuff is just a part of history-history, people blame CRT for *checks notes* not being clearly enough defined, and nod smugly. Imagine if that was used for every subject, you just learn about it on facebook and then when you fail a test, you blame the "professionals" or whatever. Ugh.

I don't have the energy to argue it with people for long, they've already got their entrenched opinions and any possible approach you can take will just make them dig their heels in further. There's literally no reason for me to expound on it any more than firing off a britannica link.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX
Top Gun: Maverick

Could literally predict every scene and every line as it went along.

I suppose the only takeaway is the 'muricans are still promoting the idea they can determine what other countries are and aren't allowed to do and they can bomb the shit out of them if they so choose.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Some of these 30/40 year late sequels seem to be mostly for boomers to relive the glory days of the movies they liked when they were young parents. I will not begrudge an old person watching the Top Gun sequel, but the notion of seeing it never drew me in. Never mind that I was into aviation stuff.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Buzz Lightyear making conservative waves for a gay kiss. Conversely, I wouldn't be surprised to see people be called homophobic for that reason if they said they're not going to watch it. Pass anyway, looks like a generic sci-fi on top of an overmilked franchise. Are they supposed to be the real people counterparts, or are they still toys? I don't even know.
War Man
Australians are hermaphrodites.
+563|6684|Purplicious Wisconsin

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Some of these 30/40 year late sequels seem to be mostly for boomers to relive the glory days of the movies they liked when they were young parents. I will not begrudge an old person watching the Top Gun sequel, but the notion of seeing it never drew me in. Never mind that I was into aviation stuff.
Plenty of Gen X too
The irony of guns, is that they can save lives.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
The original top gun is on Amazon prime. I never watched it since I don't care about planes and shit.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

I've gotten the "Tom Cruise actually knows how to fly, you know" from Top Gun fans as if it were exceptional. I don't know if he actually knows how to fly. His involvement in scientology and other nutty behavior kind of overshadows other stuff.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
I am sure learning to fly a plane is something anyone here could do if we had the time/money to do so.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Buzz Lightyear making conservative waves for a gay kiss blah blah blah blah
So yeah, I heard some feedback since and I'm not really surprised. A lazy, phoned-in Pixar where Disney makes a show of being revolutionary with a little gay peck in the standard theatrical release, only to kill off the gay character in the first 20 minutes or so. And then the remainder just plods on with people doing things for no reason, before you finally get to the dumb twist. I was already not going to bother, but paaaaass. I only knew about the movie anyway because Fox or someone made a stink about the gay stuff. lol

I'll just rewatch 2001 or something if I'm in that mood again.

It's still really weird to me that people will just eat up this CGI shovelware but then turn up their nose at an acclaimed 2d animation. Still not over the novelty, I guess.
lil_droo
+19|1465
Lol top gun was fuckin badass There's a reason why it was number 1 in the box office. I saw plenty of young ppl in the theatre watching it
gang shit
lil_droo
+19|1465
Oh ya I saw that viking film a while back. It was okay like 7/10
gang shit
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Still need to see the Viking thing. I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

I'm not saying Top Gun 2 is a bad movie, just a really late sequel. The first came out in '84 for crying out loud. How far back do they need to dig exactly? The new one comes highly recommended by boomer relatives, so maybe it isn't a horrible sequel.
lil_droo
+19|1465

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Still need to see the Viking thing. I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

I'm not saying Top Gun 2 is a bad movie, just a really late sequel. The first came out in '84 for crying out loud. How far back do they need to dig exactly? The new one comes highly recommended by boomer relatives, so maybe it isn't a horrible sequel.
Watch lighthouse before the Viking movie, it's better. Same director

And yeah super late for a sequel but it's legit. Some older boomers said they actually preferred it over the original
gang shit
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
Most boomers grew up with lead gasoline and asbestos toys.
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6687|Riva, MD
I just learned the other day that leaded gasoline was not completely phased out in the US until 1996, which blew my mind to think that I was alive(albeit no older than 3) during a time when it was legal to sell & use.  It seems like such antiquated, awful shit on the same level as asbestos that it's so surprising it made it over halfway through the 90s before being verboten.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard