uziq
+492|3422
how many indians working 12 hours a day would it take to consume the equivalent carbon debt, i wonder.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

I get the point Dilbert is trying to make about the bottom line (more pollution worse than less pollution), but it's as usual incomplete picture. A pollution map based on a population cartogram would paint a different picture, wouldn't you think? Citing from statista, India is in the top 3 CO2 emitters, but Australia, with roughly half South Korea's pop, is still well within the top 20. Doesn't that seem a little damning?

statsrlyfe:
countrypop%worldpop%CO2%CO2:%worldpopCO2 rank
australia~26M~0.33%1.12%3.3915
south korea~51M~0.64%1.71%2.679
india~1.3B~16.4%7.02%0.433
united states~331M~4.2%13.53%3.222
china~1.41B~17.8%30.64%1.721

Considering the data above may just be for the emissions, rather than where manufactured goods are being exported, giving us an incomplete picture when things should look even more grim for countries like US and Australia's consumption. Even without that in mind, Australia would have to be a tenth of the CO2 emissions it is now to get on "India's level," lol.

tl;dr disregarding per capita is dumb, and a maybe little privileged (generous paraphrasing: "no country should emit more than the other," ?!)
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Australia Imports from China was US$72.86 Billion during 2021, according to the United Nations COMTRADE database on international trade. Australia Imports from China - data, historical chart and statistics - was last updated on June of 2022.

https://d3fy651gv2fhd3.cloudfront.net/charts/australia-imports-china@2x.png?s=auschn00001%3acomtrade&v=202203181113V20220312

https://tradingeconomics.com/australia/imports/china
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
Counting CO2 emissions...who the hell cares? Who cares about the environment? I live in a city. If I wanted to care about the environment I would move to the Pine Barrens.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Thanks for your contribution.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

I get the point Dilbert is trying to make about the bottom line (more pollution worse than less pollution), but it's as usual incomplete picture. A pollution map based on a population cartogram would paint a different picture, wouldn't you think? Citing from statista, India is in the top 3 CO2 emitters, but Australia, with roughly half South Korea's pop, is still well within the top 20. Doesn't that seem a little damning?

statsrlyfe:
countrypop%worldpop%CO2%CO2:%worldpopCO2 rank
australia~26M~0.33%1.12%3.3915
south korea~51M~0.64%1.71%2.679
india~1.3B~16.4%7.02%0.433
united states~331M~4.2%13.53%3.222
china~1.41B~17.8%30.64%1.721

Considering the data above may just be for the emissions, rather than where manufactured goods are being exported, giving us an incomplete picture when things should look even more grim for countries like US and Australia's consumption. Even without that in mind, Australia would have to be a tenth of the CO2 emissions it is now to get on "India's level," lol.

tl;dr disregarding per capita is dumb, and a maybe little privileged (generous paraphrasing: "no country should emit more than the other," ?!)
Well not really, if every country had the population density of Australia everyone could have a nice lifestyle and there would be no climate problem whatsoever.

How is it my fault if Asia is grossly overpopulated?
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

how many indians working 12 hours a day would it take to consume the equivalent carbon debt, i wonder.
A lot more than if there were a lot fewer of them.

Overpopulation = Shit lives for everyone.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Where are people in populous areas to disappear to overnight so you can feel good about running like 10 ACs per household in Australia? Are you advocating for gas chambers? Is this something that needs to be actionable?

I don't really see how you qualified that "not really," and still no response to importing massive amounts of goods from China. Maybe take that into account, their emissions (and your coal exports) are part of your country's footprint if you think about it.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Yes, we should stop importing from China.

People should have one child, not five, we can stop this in a generation, two max.

Or uziq can decide what consumption he wants to give up so Sanjeet can have a sixth kid.
Cut his food intake by half maybe?

On topic China has now delivered multiple pandemics and probably has a dozen more ready.
But its India which is going to gift us with anti-biotic proof diseases.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Catholics though, they're the real terrorists.

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2021/01/20/21/38276498-9169597-image-a-1_1611178999567.jpg
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Dilbert_X wrote:

Yes, we should stop importing from China.

People should have one child, not five, we can stop this in a generation, two max.

Or uziq can decide what consumption he wants to give up so Sanjeet can have a sixth kid.
Cut his food intake by half maybe?

On topic China has now delivered multiple pandemics and probably has a dozen more ready.
But its India which is going to gift us with anti-biotic proof diseases.
Stop emitting at China, emit at home. Problem solved. /s
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
That would suit me fine. Indians can boil and Chinese can freeze.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

I'm not sure many middle class suburbanites would appreciate living within nose range of brand new noxious vapor factories built to cover for China's exile to the phantom zone.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
If there's one thing Ukraine doesn't need right now its some mooching hipster.

https://i.imgur.com/OAZ9YYA.jpg
uziq
+492|3422
why do you hate journalists exactly?

ukraine is winning the propaganda war because of their canny use of media and communications. you could arguably say that the ‘optics’ and image management of zelensky’s government has contributed a lot to getting the EU/NATO powers off the fence.

who do you think is responsible for that if not ‘mooching hipsters’?

what’s wrong with the few journalists of conscience in russia/moscow putting themselves out there and uprooting their lives in the name of the truth or a just cause? how exactly is 'fled the country with the government seeking his arrest' == 'mooching' to you?

sorry i’m just genuinely confused why you have all this bitterness and hate for ‘hipsters’ all the time. you’re a grown man. there’s more skill sets and more personalities in the world than number crunchers or STEM types.

is it because he’s smoking a pipe and wearing a bow tie? i bet that triggered you. honestly grow up.

Last edited by uziq (2022-06-05 01:05:58)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
He's literally smoking a pipe though.
uziq
+492|3422
grow the fuck up.

he also just made a decision that endangered his life/liberty and possibly that of his family also. he's been in hiding since standing in public on a good principle and for a moral cause. and you're deriding him for the way he likes to smoke tobacco? how old are you, seriously?

Last edited by uziq (2022-06-05 01:07:18)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Who exactly smokes a pipe in this day and age?
uziq
+492|3422
i don't know the first thing about russian fashions or tobacco smoking, and i literally do not care. why do you?

so you've gone from calling a journalist with a conscience a "mooching hipster" to now taking exception to the fact he ... smokes a pipe.

yep, that's the story here. one of the few people to actually speak out against the monolithic state-media apparatus in russia, which has got the entire population living in some big brother newspeak reality where the ukrainian war is going well and all the nazis are being exterminated, etc, ... you take exception to his personal styling. great job! you a real smart boy!
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Do you smoke a pipe?
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

You protest much against men smoking pipes. Could it be that you smoke a lot of pipe on the sly?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
My god the French are fags

https://www.ifw-kiel.de/fileadmin/_processed_/e/2/csm_UST_Laendervergleich_Mrd_Euro_Top12_180522_EN_c990d94e83.png
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
This is a bit more interesting

https://www.ifw-kiel.de/fileadmin/_processed_/7/7/csm_mi2022-05-18_ust_laender_BIP_en_11aac4853f.png
uziq
+492|3422
yes, the real story here is that a lot of middle-tier income countries are going way beyond. the baltics, poland, slovakia, etc, especially. they have taken on an absolutely staggering number of refugees and arranged lots of aid/support, despite their own economic problems at present.

funnily enough the same groups of people that UK gammons have spent the better part of the last 15 years pouring all their scorn on in the form of economic migrants. isn't it funny that the central/eastern european nations with all-too-depressing experience of being flattened by war have a conscience/empathy?

meanwhile the UK is aww'ing at paddington bear animations done for the queen's jubilee. whilst handily ignoring that a paddington bear today would be deported to rwanda for processing, courtesy of priti patel's home office.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
NATO countries built up vast sums of weapons in the event of war with Russia. There is no reason why we shouldn't be sending over anything and everything for the Ukrainians to fight Russia. Some people are afraid of escalating things with Russia by sending too much stuff which doesn't make any sense.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard