KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

Going to see Kurt Vile in a few weeks. His new album is a little more folksy and I like it
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
Going to see Interpol. Third time. I feel like ig seeing phish or whoever a bunch of times.

Also the two songs released so far for their new album are not good. Maybe I need to listen to them again. It has all been downhill since Our Love to Admire.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6261|Washington St.
Just got back from Vieux Farka Touré: https://www.jazzalley.com/www-home/arti … ownum=5177

Purchased tickets in early 2020. Various issues pushed it back until today.

Fantastic guitarist.

It's his dads song but he played Diaraby so I'm happy

KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Going to see Kurt Vile in a few weeks. His new album is a little more folksy and I like it
The concert was not very good. The good news is that Pharcyde was playing in an adjacent room and we were able to sneak in there after Kurt Vile.
uziq
+492|3422
i like KV, two early albums especially, but he’s also been an anti-charisma zone when it comes to live. i saw him on one of his first international tours and the meekness and mousiness was the whole draw … i really don’t know how it translates now that he’s several massive albums down the line and has tried his hand at MOR stadium rock stuff.

i bought a ticket for a 3-day outdoor electronic music festival in the korean mountains. have a friend from the UK coming. first music festival for me in about 4 years. going to a similar thing in the mountains of japan later this year, in october. ambient, techno, choice company …
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

Yeah I saw Kurt Vile after Smoke Ring for My Halo came out like 10 years ago and it was a stellar performance. His latest record is more dad rock and the performance kind of mirrored that.

I saw a guy from my softball team there randomly. He thought it was a "great fucking show". Interesting how we had completely different experiences.
uziq
+492|3422
pretty sure i saw him touring on the back of the same release. about a decade ago sounds right: i was in college and super got into his stuff then (saw deerhunter, animal collective, wild nothing, etc, in the same era … good time for college-radio indie rock).

i don’t besmirch him his success. it’s a neat life arc. i think he was a forklift driver in philly or pittsburgh or some p-town that reminds one of armpits. now he’s a rock star who is doting on his kids. there’s an audience for that. good for KV.

the war on drugs are another pretty good associated act, as i’m sure you know. only caught them in passing at a large outdoor show.

Last edited by uziq (2022-05-17 17:48:42)

_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6687|Riva, MD
Bought a ticket to see Armin van Buuren at Echostage in DC on September 1st.  It'll be the first concert/show I've gone to that was of my choosing so that's pretty cool.  Crappy thing is that all 5 of the easternmost stations of the Orange Line are shut down from May 28th to September 5th for extensive modernization and platform reconstruction, so I have no real choice but to drive into DC or take an Uber.  Luckily my sister volunteered to drop me off if she's free during that time.

I'm also waiting to hear back if my cousin is available to go with me to the Chili Peppers concert at the Nats stadium exactly one week later.  He's a much bigger fan than me so that would be cool, but if not, I think my dad and my sister might be interested, I remember my dad singing Aeroplane constantly throughout my early childhood.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

Went to the annual Tchaikovsky Spectacular this past weekend. Was pumped to hear Dvorak's Symphony No. 9.

That was pretty much the only bright spot at an otherwise pretty shit concert. Was in an amphitheater with metal bleacher seating. Works for an Iron Maiden concert, but not so much for a classical concert.

There was a guest pianist there. My girlfriend is a pretty high level classically trained pianist. She was making fun of the guy the whole time, saying first "I played this piece better when I was 12 than he plays now", and then that "he playswith no passion."

Whatever. Going to see Wu Tang at the same venue at the end of September.
uziq
+492|3422
yeah but that guest pianist probably had a childhood and i doubt his parents ever made him sit in a stress position for a punishment.

you went to an outdoor classical shoe at a baseball stadium and acted snobby the whole time? lol you’re really going up in the world. it’s not quite glyndebourne is it, kenneth?
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

It's more of a concert in the park type event. I go every year, but they demolished the old amphitheater and with it the grass we used to picnic on and eat mushrooms so they could build more houses and apartments, and then built a temporary amphitheater about 5 miles away. I've been going to this event pretty much every year since I was a teenager.
uziq
+492|3422
ah i know what you mean. we have those too, and yea the quality is often not exactly world grade. but it’s a nice evening and as much about watching the sun slowly dip and being at ease with good friends.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

Yeah exactly. That experience is now more or less a thing of the past now. Very sad.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

There was a guest pianist there. My girlfriend is a pretty high level classically trained pianist. She was making fun of the guy the whole time, saying first "I played this piece better when I was 12 than he plays now", and then that "he playswith no passion."
This is why I don't go to events any more, there's always some babbling moron who thinks their commentary is more important than the actual performer.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Dua Lipa - 8/10
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

Assuming I can pass a covid test, gonna go see
The Smile on Wednesday.
uziq
+492|3422

Dilbert_X wrote:

Dua Lipa - 8/10
jeez, high-risk covid activity: going to major international touring artist's shows just so you can watch a barely-legal teen writhe around on stage. can't you do that via livestream or youtube? what a senseless risk you're taking for your petty satisfactions.

and what sort of air miles are these popstars pulling per year to give 40-year-old virgins like you minor thrills? have you checked the emissions profiles of these tours? you really don't care about the planet, do you?

it's people like you, with your selfish need to go to pop shows and party, that are making covid suppression impossible, the glaciers melt, etc, etc.

plus didn't you know that dua lipa's albanian family have ties to the albanian mob, who run the UK cocaine trade? it's no accident that the major record label business has been flooded with popstars of albanian descent in recent years, you know. nor is it an accident when they 'mistakenly' post very albanian nationalist revanchist content to their instagram accounts, and so on. all that stuff is linked to the shqiptar.

so you're going to highly epidemiologically risky mass-crowd events and your money is likely going to a money laundering operation for a violent cocaine gang.

great news.

Last edited by uziq (2022-12-19 22:28:24)

KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

Saw Gabriels this past Saturday at a venue I'd never been to despite being open since 1900. Performance was amazing
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Its a shame uziq isn't here to tell you your taste in music is wrong and you didn't understand it anyway.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Just have mac input a writing prompt and robozique could tell anyone why their choices in music are droll, unimaginative, and dated.

"lol that came out 2 weeks ago and you're just now getting to it? don't forget to take your ibuprofen, boomer."

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard