uziq
+492|3448
we're talking about twitter's ownership and its ramifications on 'public discourse'. it is precisely about when a business entity and platform requires wider responsibilities, i.e. acting in the capacity of a media outlet or news source. this has been the basic grounds of debate for all of these discussions around facebook/twitter/etc in recent years. do keep up ... why would anyone care who owned twitter if it didn't have these very public implications?

confusing freedom of speech with the freedom to incite violence and get people killed. oh boy are we going into this one again.

the EU/UK framework on this isn't the same as the US's enthroning of free speech above all else. the UK has strict libel laws ffs. some context and detail matters in this discussion. i'm fine with 'freedom of speech' but not when it crosses over into politically (or racially) aggravated assaults and murder. you'll notice that the previous owners of twitter agreed with me ... as they banned trump and intended for him to stay banned. evidently your favourite human, elon, has an enlightened and superior view of free speech that involves letting riot-inciting blowhards do their thing. ok. you can stop whining about BLM protestors setting fire to mailboxes though.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6102|eXtreme to the maX
OK, so your view is that people who do wrong, according to you - but haven't been prosecuted or convicted - should have the right to free speech taken away?

And the way to do this is by the govt taking ownership and control of private companies?

I can see why the Chinese internet/media model is so appealing to you.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
uziq
+492|3448
where did i say the government should takeover twitter? i never said any such thing.

trump broke their private terms of agreement and he got banned for it.

changing the rules to unban someone ... okay, classy. 'why do you hate rich people enjoying their money to do what they want?'

Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

. you'll notice that the previous owners of twitter agreed with me ... as they banned trump and intended for him to stay banned.
It was a private company, it could do what it liked.

Public ownership, enshrining twitter as a public space and freedom of speech laws would have prevented Trump being banned.

You're very confused, please see a doctor.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

where did i say the government should takeover twitter? i never said any such thing.

uziq wrote:

the majority of the world's population don't use a version of the internet based on corporations and the free-market
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6768|PNW

The US has restrictions and exceptions for this. Hate speech, defamation, (famously) "fighting words," incitement and disturbance of public safety, and contempt of court are some of these things.

Whether or not people will be prosecuted for these things is another matter. Apparently it's fine for a president to whip up a bunch of people into a capitol raiding frenzy and send them off to murder cops. People in power getting away with this stuff, yawn, what else is new. Wake me when a homeless person steals a loaf of bread.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

The US has restrictions and exceptions for this. Hate speech, defamation, (famously) "fighting words," incitement and disturbance of public safety, and contempt of court are some of these things.
Terrific, when someone is prosecuted for these things the courts can restrict their rights.
uziq
+492|3448

Dilbert_X wrote:

uziq wrote:

uziq wrote:

the majority of the world's population don't use a version of the internet based on corporations and the free-market
you must have intense difficulties with reading comprehension. because that second statement is in no ways an argument for a government takeover of twitter? i was merely pointing out to you that the idea that the internet is a zone of private ownership and free enterprise is factually wrong for the majority of the world's population. it was a small point rebutting your statement, not a claim that the CCP should run twitter. ffs.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6768|PNW

Dilbert_X wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Terrific, when someone is prosecuted for these things the courts can restrict their rights.
You may be laboring under a misconception. Freedom of speech here is not "everything goes." By necessity the laws governing this stuff in the United States are more complicated than what could fit in an amendment of that size. I'll forgo the sarcastic lament for commercial advertising and death threats not receiving the same protection as "petitioning the Government for a redress of grievances" or "peaceable assembly."
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3716
Freedom of speech means you are being oppressed when your grandchildren stop following you on Facebook because they don't want to see MAGA memes and Brietbart links.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6768|PNW

It's a thing, like CRT, that means to them whatever they want it to mean. Freedom of speech, also only for them and people who agree with them.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3716
CRT is having to see black people in commercials while you watch Dancing With The Stars.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6768|PNW

I wonder if A Day Without a Mexican is on any anti-CRT state ban lists? Certainly if it came out more recently I'd probably be hearing about it from Fox people.
uziq
+492|3448

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

It's a thing, like CRT, that means to them whatever they want it to mean. Freedom of speech, also only for them and people who agree with them.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FS74Bb4VIAcgn1o?format=jpg&name=900x900
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6768|PNW

Telegram, the spurned lover.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3716
I still have a cough and phlegm. Do I have long COVID?
uziq
+492|3448
you have AIDS. ask dilbert. for some reason he's read 2 books on this subject. he's an expert.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
No, you have smoked too many drugs and now have the lungs to show for it.

Just as uziq took too many drugs and now has a head which looks like weevils have been at it.
uziq
+492|3448
you drink alcohol.

it damages the brain (and body).

read a book.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I am reading a book.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6768|PNW

"Gun springs of WW2"
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Gun springs are very important, many a good gun has been brought down by a failed spring.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3716

Dilbert_X wrote:

No, you have smoked too many drugs and now have the lungs to show for it.
I knew it! Why did I have to be born with a substance abuse disorder (SAD)?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Think about poor uziq though
uziq
+492|3448
you live at home with your parents and no woman wants you. it doesn't sound as though you even have friends. i'm happy with my lifestyle.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard