uziq
+492|3422
didn't say either of those things ...? is your new job leaving you fatigued, hon?
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6687

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

You have the bat flu, sorry
Wasn't cute in 2020 and still isn't cute. Unhelpful nickname. Not a flu (we've been over this with jay until he ragequit bf2s), still unconfirmed origin afaik.

COVID-19, while similar to a coronavirus found in horseshoe bats, isn't found in horseshoe bats. I wonder what full impact your pet joke is having on bat conservation efforts. Will it be remembered in similar vein to the Jaws effect? Or the Jame Gumb character, past deeper psychiatric analysis, poisoning an already sour public perception of transgender individuals?

Bad enough "China flu" provoking acts of violence against Asian people.
wait why eh rage quit.

PS in chinese corona is still called the wuhan pneumonia/flu/pandemic... it was an obvious CCP ploy to set up a blame shift (which they did).

@zique: re lockdowns and travel island, it works untilthings opened up. worked pree well in NZ, WA and Taiwan.

Idk how the fuck taiwan managed to do it properly since the system had so many holes in it. pure luck and lots of mask wearing i guess.

but neither here nor there now, basically time to open up with da vacc and treatments.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX

uziq wrote:

didn't say either of those things ...? is your new job leaving you fatigued, hon?
Yeah you did, it was yesterday so I guess your sieve brain forgot.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Cybargs wrote:

wait why eh rage quit.
Macbeth has a Rainman brain for this stuff, he could probably point you to the exact posts and pages they occurred on.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2022-05-16 17:19:30)

uziq
+492|3422

Cybargs wrote:

@zique: re lockdowns and travel island, it works untilthings opened up. worked pree well in NZ, WA and Taiwan.
you've got your timeline wrong. it worked until the highly transmissible variants made total isolation/perfect quarantines increasingly unfeasible. you talk about 'bad luck' in melbourne whilst not realising that, erm, these runs of 'bad luck' in pursuing zero covid are going to be increasingly likely with massively more transmissible variants. the idea of a strategy of total pandemic suppression working 'pree well' against omicron is wishful thinking.

delta/omicron/+ are effectively 70x more transmissible than the original variant, give or take depending on the modelling/study you opt for.

containing covid using 2-week quarantines and a battery of pre-departure and post-arrival testing worked fairly well, with limited exceptions, up until delta. clusters could be contact traced and followed up. local lockdowns and emergency measures were justifiable.

omicron is so much more infectious that you can't even contact trace the lone positives that slip through the quarantine system. it takes an order of magnitude more effort to successfully keep it out. NZ, taiwan, south korea, etc, began to loosen up their restrictions precisely AFTER it became clear their quarantine/contact tracing systems weren't cutting it anymore. that plus the emerging evidence that omicron was a lot less dangerous to a vaccinated population.

'zero covid' began to show serious cracks and to fail in just about every single 'model state', post-delta. even today china have announced that they're going to try and resume normality in shanghai, despite not having extirpated their outbreak there. it's 'living with covid' in everything but name.

Last edited by uziq (2022-05-16 08:14:15)

uziq
+492|3422

Dilbert_X wrote:

uziq wrote:

no, i said your statement that the internet is de facto privatized is factually wrong. there are rather evidently alternative ways of owning/operating the internet. you know, the like the example of the most populous nation on earth. never said anything that advocated for a totalitarian state owning the internet and censoring it in some dystopian hellscape. nope. didn't say that.

and never said we can trust the chinese re:covid. i said your paranoiac presentation of things and spooky intimations about 'their secret bat research' is thriller movie stuff. we know what coronaviruses are in the west. the virological community, worldwide, has had its attention focused on things like SARS since, erm, the last major endemic. these diseases aren't top secret state bioweapons.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
Drove past a Chinese food place and decided to stop in. The place is like a time portal to April 2020. All of the chairs are up to prevent in door dining. There is plastic dividing the cashier/register. You need to put your money through a little hole. They give you your food through a larger hole in the plastic. The lady who works the register is wearing a face mask.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
uziq
+492|3422
it's amazing to me that the world watches the CCP, the most invasive and totalitarian state on earth, and who bring to bear all of the current-edge tech in surveillance and population management ... we see the spectacle of this regime failing to suppress omicron, and yet people like dilbert still say 'lockdowns just work', based on evidence from 1.5 years and 3 variants ago.

the CCP tried to enforce city-wide lockdowns of tens of millions of people. forced extraction to quarantine sites with no quarrel. certain working populations were kept imprisoned at their place of work for 3-4 weeks at a time. crowds were sealed in to shopping malls for weeks at a time if a positive case was identified there. china's methods were literally insane. nightmare dystopia stuff. they STILL couldn't suppress omicron. massive amounts of economic self-harm, supply-chain meltdowns, human misery ... for zero in the way of effective suppression. should have got the vaccines out.

but tell me again how that shit works 'pree well' against omicron. 'people are just stupid', 'they just got unlucky'. LOL. yes, a global pattern of bad luck.

Last edited by uziq (2022-05-16 20:02:22)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Drove past a Chinese food place and decided to stop in. The place is like a time portal to April 2020. All of the chairs are up to prevent in door dining. There is plastic dividing the cashier/register. You need to put your money through a little hole. They give you your food through a larger hole in the plastic. The lady who works the register is wearing a face mask.
Plastic barriers are still up at some of the places I shop at. I've never really thought much of them. It's bizarre that people would be angry about checkout clerks not being coughed on, but this is a country where they're not allowed to sit, either, or wear a jacket when it's cold.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

uziq wrote:

no, i said your statement that the internet is de facto privatized is factually wrong. there are rather evidently alternative ways of owning/operating the internet. you know, the like the example of the most populous nation on earth. never said anything that advocated for a totalitarian state owning the internet and censoring it in some dystopian hellscape. nope. didn't say that.
The only alternative model is the one run by the CCP.
No idea what your point is at this point.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

people like dilbert still say 'lockdowns just work', based on evidence from 1.5 years and 3 variants ago.
Nope, that one must have got through your head holes.

Sealed borders + targeted lockdowns do work.

Omicron didn't defeat Australia, Australia opened up just before Omicron got going.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

our timeline wrong. it worked until the highly transmissible variants made total isolation/perfect quarantines increasingly unfeasible. you talk about 'bad luck' in melbourne whilst not realising that, erm, these runs of 'bad luck' in pursuing zero covid are going to be increasingly likely with massively more transmissible variants. the idea of a strategy of total pandemic suppression working 'pree well' against omicron is wishful thinking.
There was no 'bad luck' in Melbourne, there was total ineptitude.
uziq
+492|3422

Dilbert_X wrote:

uziq wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

i literally just posted that the internet could be considered as a communal public good or ran as a utility or essential service, in the same way that modern nation-states arrange water supplies, electricity supplies, elementary education, etc. there's nothing to say the internet 'has to be' privatized. you sound stupid to say so, considering ... the majority of the world's population don't use a version of the internet based on corporations and the free-market.

yet you try to make out i'm being dumb? the world is a little bigger than adelaide, mate.
uziq
+492|3422

Dilbert_X wrote:

uziq wrote:

people like dilbert still say 'lockdowns just work', based on evidence from 1.5 years and 3 variants ago.
Nope, that one must have got through your head holes.

Sealed borders + targeted lockdowns do work.

Omicron didn't defeat Australia, Australia opened up just before Omicron got going.
yes ... because delta, a much less infectious variant than omicron, defeated the australian quarantine system.

when your two major cities and population centres were experiencing untraceable community spread of delta, that's 'winning'? okay sweetheart.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/02/worl … -zero.html

Last edited by uziq (2022-05-17 02:29:25)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Err, only because the management of both cities and the quarantine system was utterly inept.
uziq
+492|3422
who could have guessed it, running a perfect quarantine system against a very transmissible variant is not a trivial matter.

err, the most totalitarian regime in the world with the greatest all-seeing-eye, the CCP, failed also to contain it.

and here you are accusing me of bad faith arguments when i point to the chinese model of the internet . yes, if only western nations adopted lockdown and surveillance systems as in-depth as the evil chinese, then your strategy would work! jesus christ.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

uziq wrote:

i literally just posted that the internet could be considered as a communal public good or ran as a utility or essential service, in the same way that modern nation-states arrange water supplies, electricity supplies, elementary education, etc. there's nothing to say the internet 'has to be' privatized. you sound stupid to say so, considering ... the majority of the world's population don't use a version of the internet based on corporations and the free-market.
So what is your plan? Govts should spend billions buying up private companies which will likely fizzle out in a few years?

Myspace, Friendsreunited could have been considered a public good. How are they going these days?

Your anger towards a wealthy nerd having fun with his money has blinded you.
Maybe the govt should have bought Chelsea as a public good - to stop wealthy Russians who wear jackets which aren't even a la mode from buying cherished football teams.
uziq
+492|3422
we're talking about who 'owns' and runs the internet. facebook doesn't 'own' the internet either, retard.

if major social media companies want to operate in the same space as news organizations or any other communications platform, then i don't see anything wrong with bringing them into the regulatory and ethical frameworks of said news organizations. things like truth, accountability, responsibility to the public, etc, do matter, unfortunately, if your social media company's aim is to move into and monopolize people's sources of news and information. elon musk with his fantasies of running the 'public space of modern democracy' all by himself is going to run into the same responsibilities and intractabilities, i'm afraid, when he confronts, say, the EU on this topic.

'a wealthy nerd having fun with his money', sure, sounds innocent. that doesn't bother me. unbanning people who were banned from the platform for inciting riots and getting people killed? why are you so blithe about this? after spending years moaning about rule-breakers on a fucking gaming forum? you really can't make this shit up, can you? think a little harder about your inane positions.

none of which has anything to do with who owns the internet qua infrastructure or who owns the internet qua public utility. you seem to be a little confused. about which:

Govts should spend billions buying up private companies which will likely fizzle out in a few years?
i am in favour of governments owning and running public utilities, yes, i'll say that on the record. selling off the train networks and energy companies to private enterprise and 'wealthy nerds' really worked out well for britain, didn't it? BT and the post office are ran so efficiently thesedays by their benevolent capitalist overlords and their share-holders!

Last edited by uziq (2022-05-17 03:09:18)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
In many countries the state owns the telecoms infrastructure.

Not sure how a private company can create a 'monopoly' on the internet when a child can knock up a discussion board in about five minutes.

Honestly no idea what point you're trying to make here.
uziq
+492|3422
erm, you literally said earlier that the internet is privatized. i said that vast amounts of the internet are owned by states. whether the backbone infrastructure or the media platforms and main methods of interaction, etc. i literally just corrected you on a very silly point. you've been frothing over nothing for the last 2 pages claiming that i wish the whole world's internet access was ran by the CCP. lol.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

erm, you literally said earlier that the internet is privatized.
Erm I literally didn't.
i said that vast amounts of the internet are owned by states. whether the backbone infrastructure or the media platforms and main methods of interaction, etc
You're back to China again, unless you have a different example of a state owning the infrastructure and the platforms. Russia?
uziq
+492|3422
american private corporations only own about 40% of the internet's backbone infrastructure. the rest is controlled by local public/state-run interests.

Last edited by uziq (2022-05-17 03:33:56)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Do any American govt interests own or control any major platforms though?
uziq
+492|3422
surprisingly, the world leader in neoliberalism doesn't have state-run media, no.

have you used a thing called BBC news recently?

if social media companies like elon's newest toy, twitter, want to partake in the same public space of news-providing and public communications, they should be held accountable to the same standards. which includes forbidding people from inciting hate speech or calls to violence. you know, like trump. who should remain banned. for getting people killed. you remember, right?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Is the BBC a 'method of interaction'? Thats what we're talking about, twitter etc. not media outlets.

What I like most about your argument is you fuming about restrictions on freedom of speech at the same time as demanding restrictions on freedom of speech.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard