RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6735|Oxferd Ohire
people who drive 100 miles a day for work
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3717
I just spent 40 minutes driving 11 miles in NJ traffic.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6630|949

I pay $7/day to take a toll road on my commute. The ~$150/month is worth the peace of mind not having to deal with traffic.

It lessens my commute by 10 minutes each way (20 mins as opposed to 30 mins), so I suppose that's also a positive.
uziq
+492|3450
can’t imagine why anyone would ever be happy having to pay the better part of $2000 a year just to be rid of traffic.

haven’t been to an office in almost 3 years. never owned a car. a much better state of affairs tbh.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6630|949

The alternative isn't "do nothing". The alternative is to sit in traffic for another 20 mins a day and maneuver through soccer moms and stupid Tesla drivers.

I'm willing to own a car and go into an office because I get paid a buttload of money at my job. Definitely worth the extra ~$2k/year.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6682|United States of America
That's more of a choice than Mac's tunnel tolls he mentioned in the past, but that's a ridiculous rate. One of these days I'll be making KEN money.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6769|PNW

That's honestly kind of ridiculous, isn't there an annual pass that regulars can buy?
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6630|949

You don't know the half of it. The toll road exists because the county offloaded a key function of municipal governments (building and maintaining freeways) to a private interest, with the expectation that the toll fees would be used to recoup the cost of building the road and then the road would be turned over to the municipal government once the costs were recouped. But of course once the toll road company was created, it had to find #reasons to not only continue existing, but to increase the shareholders returns.

I pay to drive on a road that should be publicly managed.
uziq
+492|3450

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

The alternative isn't "do nothing". The alternative is to sit in traffic for another 20 mins a day and maneuver through soccer moms and stupid Tesla drivers.

I'm willing to own a car and go into an office because I get paid a buttload of money at my job. Definitely worth the extra ~$2k/year.
you don't need to gloat about how much you make to justify stupid spending decisions.

it costs more than $2k+ a year to buy a travel card to commute to and from work in any zone of london, too. i was spending that when barely scraping $30k a year, trying to get a foot on the career ladder. it's still a stupid waste of money.

^ judging from the above, seems you know it too. shit ain't right, string!

Last edited by uziq (2022-05-10 18:24:54)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6769|PNW

Water, food, and clean air is a privileged commodity. It honestly doesn't rattle me hearing about some corrupted toll road or bridge somewhere in the US or anywhere.
Dauntless
Admin
+2,249|6740|London

I now live inside the 'Ultra Low Emission Zone' (ULEZ) in London and because my car isn't exactly 'low emission' I have to pay £12.50 a day just to take my car off the drive, then if I want to go into Central London I need to pay an extra £15.

It would be £10k a year if I did that every day lol (I don't obviously) and that's before I've paid £1.80 a litre ($10 a gallon) in fuel or tax or parking.

I'm looking at new cars atm but haven't decided what to get yet
https://imgur.com/kXTNQ8D.png
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6769|PNW

I can see why that's a thing, but it's still basically a pollution tax on the poor. I don't think there should be such a system in place unless there's a program to help people swap into cleaner vehicles.

Reminds me of the notion of a flush tax. RIP old people and folks with IBS.
uziq
+492|3450
i would be very happy if all cities were pedestrianised or made into ULEZs. any city worth a damn has perfectly good public transport or cycle lanes.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6769|PNW

By those standards, all cities are definitely not worth a damn. Ones in the US behind on public transit and bike lanes, and progress is glacial. Some don't even have a completed sidewalk network. Bunch of middle class, wealthy paying the fee no problem and everyone else is out of luck, I guess.
uziq
+492|3450
the UK isn't a paradise on this measure, either (and definitely not seoul). but it's an aim that all city centres should be aiming for, and pronto.

something like 70% of britain's urban population live in unhealthy air because they're close to industrial sites or major roadways. (micro-)particulates through the roof. measurable life-years lost.

air pollution is a much bigger global health problem than covid-19. an order of magnitude more deaths. it's just more insidious and nobody wants to talk about it, it has a distinctly victorian air (ahem) to talk about people dying of man-made fogs and pollutions.

living in high-density environments and also insisting on a one-person transport bubble is insane in any sort of long-term view. there are exceptions, of course, as in any use-case scenario. but your average office drone commuting to work in a 1-person solution? mad.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6769|PNW

I would love for all that to come true in this country, but there's so much snark and pushback against just having bike lanes alone. I would be stunned to see serious redevelopment towards reduced drivers/commuters.

Had hoped that the increased air quality due to lockdown measures would have shown people how much better the skies could be with some effort.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6714

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

You don't know the half of it. The toll road exists because the county offloaded a key function of municipal governments (building and maintaining freeways) to a private interest, with the expectation that the toll fees would be used to recoup the cost of building the road and then the road would be turned over to the municipal government once the costs were recouped. But of course once the toll road company was created, it had to find #reasons to not only continue existing, but to increase the shareholders returns.

I pay to drive on a road that should be publicly managed.
Sydney would be your biggest nightmare. our tolls are absolutely fucked unless you live in the rich part of town where the toll isnt too bad.

"We know that 17 of the 20 top toll-paying suburbs are in Sydney's west and we know [that], in some of those areas, the top 10 per cent of drivers are paying more than $6,000 [in tolls] a year.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-04-26/ … /101015280

and it's always great reading the financials of the toll company (transurban) bragging how much theyre milking the city. oh and they up the tolls by 4% a year or inflation, whichever is higher.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6104|eXtreme to the maX

uziq wrote:

the UK isn't a paradise on this measure, either (and definitely not seoul). but it's an aim that all city centres should be aiming for, and pronto.

something like 70% of britain's urban population live in unhealthy air because they're close to industrial sites or major roadways. (micro-)particulates through the roof. measurable life-years lost.

air pollution is a much bigger global health problem than covid-19. an order of magnitude more deaths. it's just more insidious and nobody wants to talk about it, it has a distinctly victorian air (ahem) to talk about people dying of man-made fogs and pollutions.

living in high-density environments and also insisting on a one-person transport bubble is insane in any sort of long-term view. there are exceptions, of course, as in any use-case scenario. but your average office drone commuting to work in a 1-person solution? mad.
Most urban particulate pollution is thanks to diesel vehicles delivering goods, food and commuters.
Presumably you enjoy having food delivered and not having to make forays into the country to forage or barter for food.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
uziq
+492|3450
yes, that's right, we shouldn't think about improving cities' liveability or emissions because otherwise we will all have to go and forage for food.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6104|eXtreme to the maX
Cities themselves are the problem really, everything has to be transported in and out which is inefficient and polluting.

You don't care because your priority is your easy lifestyle.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6714

Dilbert_X wrote:

Cities themselves are the problem really, everything has to be transported in and out which is inefficient and polluting.

we get it you live in the biggest country town in the world.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3717

Dilbert_X wrote:

Cities are actually more efficient than rural or suburban places. You don't need to run sewer and power lines over hundreds of miles so everyone can get electricity. Same thing with subway lines.

Community health centers, hospitals, etc. all make more sense to build in a city rather than dot all over the map.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6769|PNW

Should we also be talking about anthropogenic emissions on a holistic basis rather than limiting it to cars and trucks (which are insanely cleaner now than they were in the 60s and 70s)? How about those choke-worthy VOCs making life at home and in the office ever more thrilling?

I'd like to see the numbers on Dilbert's trucks. Is this near-road pollution? Overall pollution? Pollution seeping inside buildings? Are they all rolling coal in Australia or something?

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Community health centers, hospitals, etc. all make more sense to build in a city rather than dot all over the map.
You sound like you don't want a walmart on every corner. Communist.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2022-05-16 06:57:56)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3717
I have seen Walmarts that have health clinics in them. You don't need insurance and can just pay cash. I doubt they have doctors but probably have nurses who can still write you a script for some antibiotics or turn you to go to a real hospital.

My cough is still here but not too bad. $20 for a script of antibiotics seems fair. I have excellent insurance and could go see a real doctor but would still need a $10 co pay anyway.
uziq
+492|3450

Dilbert_X wrote:

yes you're so right. it's much more efficient for everyone to live in a giant suburban sprawl, expecting detached low-rise housing encircled by verdant manicured lawns in endless tarmac cul-de-sacs.

i'm sure all of your food is grown and sourced in the environs of your parents' perfect bungalow,  where you have perfected the art of living ethically. it's not like you're implicated in long-distance or international supply chains, is it? i walk to get my weekly groceries, like most people in my neighbourhood. what's more efficient, do you think? large supply-chain deliveries being made to metro-based marts where shoppers come via public transport or on foot, or giant supermarkets plopped down in exurbia and where tens of thousands of daily shoppers turn up each day in their ... personal cars? with you being one of them? i can walk to get a carton of milk. can you do the same without reaching for the keys of your subaru? or do you kid yourself that it's not so bad because you happen to live closer to the dairy farm?

you really are a plonker.

cities can be made to be greener and friendlier to pedestrians, cyclists, etc. this isn't a paradigm-shifting statement. the era of cities designed around roadways and the motor vehicle should be understood for what it is: a progress-trap and abomination that we indulged for a few decades whilst the fuel was cheap and went about our business with a lack of concern about such needling things as air quality and climate change.

Last edited by uziq (2022-05-16 08:53:07)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard