unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6763|PNW

There's little more he could do here short of issuing actual death threats. He's already been through the fistfight threats against Uzique and had his lash-out, pandemic thread meltdown(s). It's incredible that someone who does that would ever bother to use the report system on a (dead) forum.
uziq
+492|3443
we always joke about the personal threats thing but i found it nothing other than laugh-out-loud hilarious at the time. it's not like he crossed some huge red line and took it to some dark place. it was jay being jay.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6763|PNW

It was straight out of monty python's flying circus is what it was. Imagine opening your door and actually there's jay, in a wedding tux or whatever with his fists raised and ready to 'ave a go.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6097|eXtreme to the maX
Some people do things like deck projects for fun and manly one-upmanship in the burbs.

I would however kick all your asses no question. I don't really like flying but I would do it.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
uziq
+492|3443

DesertFox- wrote:

My brother, as an accounting nerd, has brought up one thing that I don't hear discussed enough with the loan debt discussion, which is that debt cancellation is viewed as taxable income, which is something that should be noted lest a bunch of those people complain next April.

There is also the fact that, while college education has become way more of the standard requirement akin to a HS degree, it is still attended mostly by people who aren't the poorest of the poor. Education costs are ridiculous, but something should also be done to help out those people who couldn't even afford to entertain the thought of college in the first place.
https://twitter.com/chrismohney/status/ … Gcp9bITccA
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6763|PNW

Dilbert_X wrote:

Some people do things like deck projects for fun and manly one-upmanship in the burbs.

I would however kick all your asses no question. I don't really like flying but I would do it.
All the moss and pollen up here in temperate rainforest territory would turn you away before you even got close to my house. If you did by some chance make it, I would just empty my boot spiders on you.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3711
Dilbert and Newbie could have a contest about who would best build a backyard deck. Who would win? The engineer or the pig man organizer?
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I've lived in Australia, do you think puny american spiders hold any fear for me?
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6763|PNW

I'm a resident of American suburbia in Pacifica Northwestica. I would just have a deck builder come do it in an afternoon while Dilbert faffs about with 90 degree angles in autocad and checks online for cents off the dollar in lumber.

Dilbert_X wrote:

I've lived in Australia, do you think puny american spiders hold any fear for me?
It's the unfamiliarity I'd count on. Your conditioning against Australian spiders, and the unsurety whether it's a common house spider or a bRoWn ReClUsE.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2022-04-28 06:38:13)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3711

uziq wrote:

DesertFox- wrote:

My brother, as an accounting nerd, has brought up one thing that I don't hear discussed enough with the loan debt discussion, which is that debt cancellation is viewed as taxable income, which is something that should be noted lest a bunch of those people complain next April.

There is also the fact that, while college education has become way more of the standard requirement akin to a HS degree, it is still attended mostly by people who aren't the poorest of the poor. Education costs are ridiculous, but something should also be done to help out those people who couldn't even afford to entertain the thought of college in the first place.
The Federal government runs up debt we have no intention of ever paying back for all sorts of nonsense. I don't begrudge anyone who wants to add their pet cause onto the pile of debt that will never be paid. The "moral" arguments against student loan forgiveness are all culture war. People like Jay will be angry they needed to go to drive a truck around Iraq for a few years to get into an unremarkable public university. People who install decks for a living will be angry the punk rock girl with the rainbow belt at the small cafe that they never go to will have she/her degree in gender studies paid for.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

I'm a resident of American suburbia in Pacifica Northwestica. I would just have a deck builder come do it in an afternoon while Dilbert faffs about with 90 degree angles in autocad and checks online for cents off the dollar in lumber.

Dilbert_X wrote:

It's the unfamiliarity I'd count on. Your conditioning against Australian spiders, and the unsurety whether it's a common house spider or a bRoWn ReClUsE.
There's no uncertainty, literally everything here is poisonous.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6676|United States of America

SuperJail Warden wrote:

uziq wrote:

DesertFox- wrote:

The Federal government runs up debt we have no intention of ever paying back for all sorts of nonsense. I don't begrudge anyone who wants to add their pet cause onto the pile of debt that will never be paid. The "moral" arguments against student loan forgiveness are all culture war. People like Jay will be angry they needed to go to drive a truck around Iraq for a few years to get into an unremarkable public university. People who install decks for a living will be angry the punk rock girl with the rainbow belt at the small cafe that they never go to will have she/her degree in gender studies paid for.
I roll my eyes whenever I hear the argument that the government should treat budgeting "like a business" or a household. It's such a vast oversimplification of GDP and the economic effects of policy. I don't really know anyone who went to school for a "worthless" degree, but I knew plenty of Biology majors who had a tough time finding work after graduation while simultaneously being aware at the time that a lot of people didn't need college for their skillsets but we were told it was another hoop we had to jump through for the American DreamTM.

I've no idea how far the Democrats can actually be bullied into doing helpful things, but they definitely would be need to be better about communication surrounding any debt cancellation they do for the aforementioned tax reasons alone.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6763|PNW

Dilbert_X wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

There's no uncertainty, literally everything here is poisonous.
Or venomous, but no your huntsmen spiders are actually pretty cute. Big old awkward, cowardly, crazy-legged pest killers. Not something I'd want to wake up with on my chest, but probably not something to freak out over.

Also when was the last time a spider killed someone in Australia? It's not like I'd be cool with redbacks setting up shop in the garage or something, but I'd be more worried about stepping on a stonefish or something while doing touristy stuff in the water than, er, death by spider.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3711
Reddit thread about student loan forgiveness came up again. A lot of comments like:
Hell I'm a college grad (with a blue collar background) and I'd be pissed. I chose a degree that wasn't my preference specifically because I did the research to know it would result in a career that would provide sufficient income to have a good life even while paying my debt. Why the hell should I bail out people who couldn't bother to make the same evaluations I did at the same age?
Imagine bragging that you studied something you didn't like because the economic system put you in a corner. I have more respect for the person working at Starbucks who studied philosophy.

A lot of comments about how blue collar workers will be upset. Oh no the blue collar workers will be mad. The blue collar workers are always mad anyway.

https://pics.me.me/if-your-boyfriends-hands-never-look-like-this-than-you-3712746.png

Last edited by SuperJail Warden (2022-05-04 11:07:00)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6763|PNW

You've posted that image at least two or three times. Watch yourself, Uzique may be stirring.

Anyway instead of being mad at the potential of college to become more accessible, that more people can study for what they want to do, and complaining about all that on reddit … why don't they, er, just make plans to go back to a perhaps more accessible college at some point in the future and take something they want?

Totally agree, I've disdain for people who want American life to retain our ridiculous hurdles just because they've had to vault them. "I had to push past people to make it to the fire exit in the last burning building I was in. Some died, but I made it. Why should we put more fire exits in buildings? It would invalidate my accomplishments!"
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Imagine bragging that you studied something you didn't like because the economic system put you in a corner. I have more respect for the person working at Starbucks who studied philosophy.
I don't really have a lot of sympathy for people who studied something stupid then complain they have no prospects and are saddled with debt.

OTOH Hand college should be free, not a profit centre, but govts can't just fund a plethora of stupid courses which lead nowhere.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6763|PNW

Why not? Governments fund a plethora of stupid wars which lead nowhere. I would rather pay for someone to take gender studies than for another erroneous drone strike on some poor family's car.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6763|PNW

Your sympathy or lack of probably isn't coming from a very large sample of people. You, the anti-immigration immigrant to a former European colony, gainfully employed engineer, not married, no children, living with parents, completely satisfied with your lot in life. All you need is a new gun from time to time.

Yet you know best what everyone should be doing with their life choices? Not everyone is suited for STEM, and there are more contributory roles in life for people than a career path that would make them miserable. Countries like the United States are wealthy enough that an education decision made by someone in their late teens or even mid 20s shouldn't make or break their entire life.

People should have more financial freedom to explore what makes them happy, and not be ridiculed for it, and not be expected to pick up the slack for worshipped billionaires who pay the bare minimum (if at all) of taxes they can get away with. And not be taken advantage of by home-sucking banks who are too big to fail greedily lapping up every bailout that comes their way.

also, re:re:re:re: college educated engineers working as baristas

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2022-05-04 14:49:41)

uziq
+492|3443

Dilbert_X wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

I don't really have a lot of sympathy for people who studied something stupid then complain they have no prospects and are saddled with debt.

OTOH Hand college should be free, not a profit centre, but govts can't just fund a plethora of stupid courses which lead nowhere.
listen to this guy, talking about the wisdom of the market...

who went to university when tuition fees were paid for by non-university taxpayers' grant with no questions asked.

'you asked for it', said the guy who graduated with no student debts and has spent his entire life living with his parents.

did he forget to mention that he has 'good' investments and lots of liquidity?

lmfao
uziq
+492|3443

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

You've posted that image at least two or three times. Watch yourself, Uzique may be stirring.
the whole trope that humanities/arts = "would you like fries with that, sir?" is a huge canard in this discussion.

in recent years compsci, biological, bio-chem, et al, are some of the most unemployable degrees around.

and BA/BSc grads statistically reach parity in earnings in their 30s.

no denying that STEM lords command the most envious starting salaries. you do you. that's  never made me envious or unhappy.

but 'philosophy grad in starbucks' could just as easily be 'organic chem grad in subway'. check the employment stats; it's not hidden away.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6763|PNW

Yeah that is very overlooked by luckily successful STEM graduates who gloat over humanities majors in Starbucks. The beam in their eye, so to speak.

Not a viewpoint shared by all STEM people, mind. Plenty of solid takes out there from vlogs/streams of people in various STEM fields that are like a breath of fresh air compared to some of the stuff I remember from my STEM phase in college. Failings of school, success in school vs. work, misleading college marketing, finding employment you enjoy vs. for specifically a little more money, reprimanding the sweaty snobs of their own fields.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3711

uziq wrote:

the whole trope that humanities/arts = "would you like fries with that, sir?" is a huge canard in this discussion.
That largely evaporated on reddit at least. I am sure there are still conservative/"I'm going to be Elon Musk" subreddits who still think like that but the subs with millions of posters and so on don't talk like that anymore.

I'm not sure why. Maybe people grew up and out of that. Maybe Gen Z doesn't think like that either? I think Gen Z as a whole less likely to punch down on others or the poor.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3711
More crab mentality I noticed: right wingers opposing remote working. "If I have to put up drywall, you should be forced to into the office"
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6763|PNW

If someone had a cosmic X-man brain that could put up drywall remotely from the comfort of their home, I don't see why they shouldn't be allowed. Save on commute pollution, wasted time.

Office people will never impress the blue collars, and for the most part I don't think they care to. Could do a diligent 100 hour week and it's still just in your sit & spin as far as they're concerned.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6707

SuperJail Warden wrote:

More crab mentality I noticed: right wingers opposing remote working. "If I have to put up drywall, you should be forced to into the office"
shouldve went to college aye
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard