Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6116|eXtreme to the maX
Well you bombard Ukrainian positions, not randomly pummel residential areas.

There are troop fronts, trenches, bunkers, artillery is much more precise than it used to be and with aerial observation, IR etc it can be used intelligently.

In open country no normal military would let ~5 man anti-tank teams get within range of their armoured columns, the Russians are letting them walk right up to them.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6726

uziq wrote:

how exactly do you even use traditional artillery 'intelligently' in a situation of insurgency warfare? surely outside of the donbass/south, there's no ukrainian troop fronts or echelons to even speak of.
there are pretty clear frontlines in this war, most of fighting isnt insurgency but pretty conventional. the russians just keep going to the same ambushes over and over and over again. also a corrupt military using conscripts find out theyre not equipped to fight an actual war.

also how do you lose 7 generals in a month lmao.

Last edited by Cybargs (2022-04-01 16:00:52)

https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6782|PNW

Not to be outdone by anyone in the world for supervillain aesthetic, President Putin reportedly bathes in blood (as a form of alternative medicine).

Putin was visited by a cancer surgeon dozens of times in 4 years and takes rejuvenating baths in deer antler blood, says Russian investigative news outlet (biz inisder via yahoo, 4/2)
https://news.yahoo.com/putin-visited-ca … 24988.html
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3730
The gay tech billionaire was having himself injected with the blood of young people for it's rejuvenating properties.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
uziq
+492|3462
the russ and slavs are just beta version white people, and this reversion-to-the-norm just reinforces the point. they're no different from medieval hun or mongols.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3730
The fact that they just left the bodies on the ground instead of doing the classy thing and putting them in mass graves really drives home the point that they are the bad guys.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
lil_droo
+19|1505
i honestly thought this shit was gonna be a lot crazier but it's not that bad, kinda boring at this point. some ppl were thinking WW3 was gonna happen but it's just a very sporadic war with the occasional bomb. no major escalations or casualties which is a good thing ofc
gang shit
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6727|Riva, MD

uziq wrote:

the russ and slavs are just beta version white people, and this reversion-to-the-norm just reinforces the point. they're no different from medieval hun or mongols.
I'm curious to hear your thoughts on Middle Eastern society if that's what you think of Eastern Europe/Russia
uziq
+492|3462

lil_droo wrote:

i honestly thought this shit was gonna be a lot crazier but it's not that bad, kinda boring at this point. some ppl were thinking WW3 was gonna happen but it's just a very sporadic war with the occasional bomb. no major escalations or casualties which is a good thing ofc
sporadic bombs? lol. they have flattened entire cities. like 5 million people have been displaced. every fighting-age male in ukraine has been roped into an actual full-on war. people who last week were dentists or handymen are now in camo, being trained to use $200,000 anti-tank weapons.

depending on whose numbers you believe, russia lost as many soldiers in the first week as the US lost in iraq/afghan in 15 years.

but it's not exciting enough for you? lol get your head checked. this isn't an action movie put on for your entertainment.
lil_droo
+19|1505

uziq wrote:

lil_droo wrote:

sporadic bombs? lol. they have flattened entire cities. like 5 million people have been displaced. every fighting-age male in ukraine has been roped into an actual full-on war. people who last week were dentists or handymen are now in camo, being trained to use $200,000 anti-tank weapons.

depending on whose numbers you believe, russia lost as many soldiers in the first week as the US lost in iraq/afghan in 15 years.

but it's not exciting enough for you? lol get your head checked. this isn't an action movie put on for your entertainment.
dude i didn't say this shit was a joke. i know there's been a lot of deaths and infrastructure damage. i'm just saying i felt like a lot of people overreacted for nothing when u compare it to something like ww2 where literally like thousands of people were dying daily. this isn't that bad especially considering russia has nukes and other crazy warfare technology. they could really mess things up if they wanted to.

plus as it stands right now it's only between 2 countries. it'd be worse if china invaded taiwan or if russia started messing with NATO countries then america gets involved and WW3 starts.
gang shit
uziq
+492|3462
it is the closest we have come to a ww3-type escalation since the peak of the cold war. people's worries aren't entirely unfounded. it's the biggest conflict in europe since the yugoslav wars, and they weren't a walk in the park. it has created immediately a refugee and humanitarian situation many times worse than anything europeans have been grumbling about for the last two decades. in places like poland almost every single family home with a spare room has taken on a refugee or family. can you imagine something similar happening in the USA? it's far from a 'minor conflict' with an explosion or two every day.

hundreds of thousands of civilians are still trapped in cities which are being shelled daily. it might not sound as serious as 'thousands are dying every day', but it has the potential to escalate to that level very quickly.

it's not really 'between 2 countries' right now, even being generous. belarus has been a major aid and ally to russia. the ukrainians are fighting back with an army that was trained by the UK/US/NATO, killing russians using NATO supplied weapons, relying on financial and humanitarian aid from western countries, relying heavily on US/UK/NATO intelligence in order to conduct their war ... it's only 'between 2 countries' in name. this is already significantly a regional struggle, if not a geopolitical one; it wouldn't take much for china or india to start circumventing sanctions and helping russia. there's really no way to make out this is just a little family dispute between slavs.

you're right it would be way worse, and a genuinely global conflict, if china now invaded taiwan. but you're wrong to downplay the current conflict. the current conflict was already a test run for the CCP's invasion of taiwan. china are watching the way ukraine is playing out, and the international response to it, very carefully. it's highly likely that china and russia have been communicating about these things for months, if not years. if russia steamrolled ukraine in a week, as they hoped/intended, you can probably bet that taiwan would be next.

Last edited by uziq (2022-04-03 19:35:20)

lil_droo
+19|1505

uziq wrote:

it is the closest we have come to a ww3-type escalation since the peak of the cold war. people's worries aren't entirely unfounded. it's the biggest conflict in europe since the yugoslav wars, and they weren't a walk in the park. it has created immediately a refugee and humanitarian situation many times worse than anything europeans have been grumbling about for the last two decades. in places like poland almost every single family home with a spare room has taken on a refugee or family. can you imagine something similar happening in the USA? it's far from a 'minor conflict' with an explosion or two every day.

hundreds of thousands of civilians are still trapped in cities which are being shelled daily. it might not sound as serious as 'thousands are dying every day', but it has the potential to escalate to that level very quickly.

it's not really 'between 2 countries' right now, even being generous. belarus has been a major aid and ally to russia. the ukrainians are fighting back with an army that was trained by the UK/US/NATO, killing russians using NATO supplied weapons, relying on financial and humanitarian aid from western countries, relying heavily on US/UK/NATO intelligence in order to conduct their war ... it's only 'between 2 countries' in name. this is already significantly a regional struggle, if not a geopolitical one; it wouldn't take much for china or india to start circumventing sanctions and helping russia. there's really no way to make out this is just a little family dispute between slavs.

you're right it would be way worse, and a genuinely global conflict, if china now invaded taiwan. but you're wrong to downplay the current conflict. the current conflict was already a test run for the CCP's invasion of taiwan. china are watching the way ukraine is playing out, and the international response to it, very carefully. it's highly likely that china and russia have been communicating about these things for months, if not years. if russia steamrolled ukraine in a week, as they hoped/intended, you can probably bet that taiwan would be next.
u got a lot of good points. i'll admit i don't know a lot about what's going on and haven't read a lot.

at this point what do you think will happen? do you think it will escalate or will it slowly peter out with russia getting embarrassed/shunned by the world and suffering from sanctions.

i honestly don't think anything would happen if china directly helped russia tho. we rely on them too much. they pretty much have concentration camps in their country and no one is doing anything. shit tbh china could probably get away with invading taiwan if they wanted to.
gang shit
uziq
+492|3462
i doubt it will escalate to other NATO powers at this point. the baltic states, poland, moldova, etc, were all feeling pretty nervous in the first month but i think the difficulties faced by the russian military have put pay to that idea. no way would russia be able to re-attempt its failed 'blitzkrieg' and push into actual NATO territory like poland.

i think it's likely that china/india will in some way help russia. that's why this conflict is of serious global consequence; it involves 'great powers' facing off to one another. the outcome will be a serious realignment or reordering of the global power dynamics. that's why it's not just a small conflict between two neighbours over borders or territory. if russia fails, putin arguably falls, and one of the 'great powers' that have figured in the global order for the last 150 years will suddenly drop off the map. the consequences are serious and far-reaching. they have the biggest nuclear arsenal in the world. this war will have serious consequences, whichever way it goes. it's not just like the global order can shrug and try to forget about the awkward fact of total state collapse in russia, like we've done with afghanistan.

the best hope is that both sides can climb down from the current situation, precisely because nothing good can come of a continued or escalated war ... even though we are supporting ukraine now, i don't think anyone really wants to see what happens when russia is backed into a corner. the hawks in the DC establishment who are calling for regime change in russia are palpably insane. not even neo-nazi ukrainians have had these aims.

i know you think it's 'not serious' because 'thousands aren't dying', but the economic measures we are inflicting on the russian economy have never been seen before in world history. it's a new form of warfare that we are actively pursuing ... against the russian people. not the russian elites, not really anyway. most of the sanctions and embargoes hurt the general populace. that's 150 million people we are driving into a corner. and polls show that russians are gradually rallying behind putin, from an initial period of confusion/anger/protest. most russians are actually now getting behind putin. that just goes to show you what all of our 'effective' sanctions achieve. people's daily lives are made miserable and they hate the foreign aggressors who are seemingly making it so, not their own leadership. thousands of people don't have to die every day for a war to be serious.

i read somewhere that our economic sanctions are doing more damage to people in egypt or the middle east, who are dependent on grain imports from russia, than they are to putin and his inner circle. even though the war is still 'cold' from a NATO military point-of-view, this war is still dragging in and affecting millions of people globally.

Last edited by uziq (2022-04-03 20:14:46)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6782|PNW

I think in some of the previous pages people were cautioning against calling it WW3. It definitely is not, as earlier memes had it ("who had WW3 for 2022"), but it is certainly pandemonium for Ukraine, a population of 40+ million people, to have so many out of the country as refugees and many more in total (a quarter according to recent articles) ultimately displaced, with capacity for escalation. Ukraine has cried genocide, maybe a rightful alert, against Russia's "restrained" occupation.

The attitude people have of war as entertainment ("bah, it's slow, boring me now") is extremely toxic.

e: Side note, the folder I've been keeping clipped articles, tweets, sources for this is called 'ww3.' Darkly tongue-in-cheek.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2022-04-03 20:15:19)

uziq
+492|3462
the thing is, previous global conflicts had long lead-ups too. the whole 'shot heard around the world' thing is fanciful historiography. tectonic, slow moving forces lead up to these mass conflagrations. sometimes the movements are subtle; sometimes it's a sudden collapse or landslide.

you could say that ww1 really 'began' in some minor conflicts between regional neighbours like the russian-japanese war, for instance, or some other minor conflict in the sino-japanese sphere that began to gradually realign the global order, which precisely didn't seem like a big deal to the major western powers at the time.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6782|PNW

Being nervous about the potential is completely justified. I had appended "(yet)" to that "it's definitely not WW3," before editing it out as maybe unneeded. As you said, smaller conflicts lead into the world wars. For the time being at least, WW3 does not seem the most likely terminus. The mood right now definitely feels toasty, though. I had hoped to leave immediate worry of nuclear war behind, in the last century where it belongs.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2022-04-03 20:24:24)

uziq
+492|3462
there's a certain species of derp-brained western commentator in the media sphere who are calling for ww3 in everything but name but then can't handle criticism in the comments/replies/twitter discussion. lol. a special breed of human being: calling for global conflict but can't handle debate.
uziq
+492|3462
re: this conflict being 'serious' without necessarily a massive ww2-style death toll: the energy aspect of it, too, like the economics, is very important. supply-side shocks to energy supply were part and parcel of the major conflicts of, say, the 1970s (e.g. the yom kippur war). western europe turning away from its cheap source of gas in russia is a major, major shift that marks the end of something like 2-3 decades of development/integration. again, you don't need thousands of people to die everyday for it to be a major event.

almost all of western europe are facing a massive crisis in energy bills now. it's more than a minor inconvenience when you consider that it concerns heating one's own home.

Last edited by uziq (2022-04-03 21:00:04)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Putin threatened pre-emptive nuclear retaliation on day one.

They've done the equivalent of nuke multiple cities, except they've used conventional explosives and thermobaric bombs.

And they've managed to poison themselves and disturb and spread Chernobyl waste over Ukraine and probably into Belarus

Also:

Russian planes ‘armed with nukes’ chased out of Swedish airspace
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/world/r … 91550.html
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Putin is egotistical enough to nuke the world if things don't go his way.

Goodbye northern hemisphere.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6726
good thing russian military is getting spanked so hard they had to leave kyiv tucked tail and ran
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Surprised they didn't just nuke Kyiv TBH.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6782|PNW

Russia says footage in Ukraine's Bucha was 'ordered' to blame Russia
https://www.reuters.com/world/russia-sa … 022-04-04/

because of course it was

Giving me 2020 flashbacks, of Trump's people saying the virus was a Democratic plot to make him look bad. Imperfect analogy.
Larssen
+99|1898
I have to say that all the disdain particularly from anglo-saxon governments over all the purported russian war crimes leaves me very pessimistic about some things.

Of course any war crime is terrible, by now there's plenty video evidence of some beyond shocking stuff. Yet it's as though the governments most front and center in the accusations are suffering from complete and total amnesia over their own very recent warfaring conduct. How many civilians were wantonly murdered in the thousands of air and drone strikes? What about beyond gruesome stories like the Mahmudiyah rape and killings? Yes, the perpetrators in this case eventually court-martialed, but I doubt anyone here will have recollection of those events.

In any case, I'm specifically talking about the US government most of all. Suddenly it loves to pontificate about international norms and rules, and the state department released a formal accusation of criminal conduct to Russia with the insistence that they will pursue accountability 'using every tool available including criminal prosections'. That it will share info with international organisations as appropriate.

The US doesn't even recognise the legitimacy of the International Criminal Court and in the past State released extremely combative statements in terms of what would happen if an American might ever be indicted there. The boundless (and imo disgusting) hypocrisy can't escape anyone here.

It's also indicative of the US's personality disorder in any case. Once a republican president enters the stage, this will suddenly be forgotten again.

Last edited by Larssen (2022-04-05 13:36:23)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard