=NAA=TheTaxidermist
+6|6744|In a van down by the river
Here's a fact, I'm sorry that I have to burst your bubble about the effects of global warming melting glaciers and causing the sea level to rise, the sea level won't rise due to melted water.  Here's an experiment to prove my point.  Take a glass of water, stick an ice cube in it.  Mark the level of the water with tape or something.  Leave it out until the ice melts.  Noticed something about the water level?  It's still the same.  Scientists have no idea what they are talking about.
cailuc
Friendly fire isn't
+36|6629
Hey Einstein, ever notice that glaciers tend to be on land?

Take your glass and mark the level, hold an ice cube above it and let it melt into the glass.

What happens to the water level in the glass then?

"There's nothing like the passage of time to make the world's smartest people look like complete idiots."
=NAA=TheTaxidermist
I'm referring to pieces of glacier attached to ice already in water.
splixx
ChupaCABRA
+53|6749|Omaha, Nebraska

cailuc wrote:

Take your glass and mark the level, hold an ice cube above it and let it melt into the glass.

"There's nothing like the passage of time to make the world's smartest people look like complete idiots."
acidkiller187
+123|6640
Can you Find EMO there
motherdear
+25|6661|Denmark/Minnesota (depends)
it dosn't matter even if the ice melts they have found proof of that the glaciers grov in the middle, the melt and the growt at these places equalize each other so the water don't  rise it stays at it's current lvl
HeavyMetalDave
Metal Godz
+107|6667|California
Shouldnt this topic be in a GREENPEACE forum?

So %$#@&% what, whats the worst that could happen? Mankind becomes extinct?

Big deal!

My property in California might become beachfront, that would be SWEEEEEET!

Hopefully alot of the population will drown, leaving more stuff for me.

HeH Heh Cool!
cailuc
Friendly fire isn't
+36|6629

=NAA=TheTaxidermist wrote:

An iceberg?
smtt686
this is the best we can do?
+95|6641|USA

cailuc wrote:

ok then... put dirt in the bottom of the glass and try again
InviSniper
The first true Sniper.
+95|6654|Cumberland, MD, USA
Global warming is a bunch of shit. A study over the last 100 or so years has shown that the temperature has bounced up and down every year with the last few being slightly above the last time, but not higher than others. The graph looks a little like this:
        _     __                        _                           
      /   \_/    \       ________/  \                            __________
    /               \__/                   \            ________/
  /                                            \_____/
/

Lemme search around a little and see if I can find it.

But glaciers are found on land; Icebergs are in the water.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6782|PNW

Here's a fact, I'm sorry that I have to burst your bubble about the effects of global warming melting glaciers and causing the sea level to rise, the sea level won't rise due to melted water.  Here's an experiment to prove my point.  Take a glass of water, stick an ice cube in it.  Mark the level of the water with tape or something.  Leave it out until the ice melts.  Noticed something about the water level?  It's still the same.  Scientists have no idea what they are talking about.
Al Gore reveals all, does he now?

The Earth has always undergone climate change...some periods more extreme than that which is perceived now. This global warming quasi-science is like trying to predict the path of a a thirty-minute clown dance using only five seconds of footage.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2006-05-30 12:08:01)

cailuc
Friendly fire isn't
+36|6629
Interesting that the majority of people debunking global warming in this thread come from a country that refused to sign up to Kyoto.  Go figure.
DonFck
Hibernator
+3,227|6641|Finland

WOW! What fool-proof empirical method of finding out!

Hmm..

Area of the worlds oceans: 361 000 000 000 square kilometres..
Area of your hypothetical glass of water: 10 square centimetres..
Ratio: 3 610 000 000 000 to 1

Get it?

So a rise of .5 micrometres in the glass would equal a rise of the sea level with...?

..Goodbye Holland?
I need around tree fiddy.
Itchy_nuts
+11|6556

acidkiller187 wrote:

Can you Find EMO there
I want to give Emo Some itchy_nuts And then go swim in the glaciers to infect the water so that the whole world can just scratch all day long
cailuc
Friendly fire isn't
+36|6629

DonFck wrote:

WOW! What fool-proof empirical method of finding out!

Hmm..

Area of the worlds oceans: 361 square kilometres..
Area of your hypothetical glass of water: 10 square centimetres..
Ratio: 3 610 000 000 000 to 1

Get it?

So a rise of .5 micrometres in the glass would equal a rise of the sea level with...?

..Goodbye Holland?
LOL and +1 to you
atlvolunteer
PKMMMMMMMMMM
+27|6781|Atlanta, GA USA

cailuc wrote:

Interesting that the majority of people debunking global warming in this thread come from a country that refused to sign up to Kyoto.  Go figure.
Interesting that the people who believe global warming to be man-made never give any proof.
Here is 420,000 years of ice core data from Vostok, Antarctica research station:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Vost … lation.jpg
If you look at this data, the earth appears to be in an upward shift, which in and of itself explains why global temperatures are rising.
Here is another figure that "shows apparent correlations between historical CO2 and temperature records based on Antarctic ice cores, providing data for the last 750,000 years."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Co2- … e-plot.png
Once again, what appears to be a natural increase...
I have seen data that tries to suggest that we are increasing global warming, but the majority of it has been suspect IMO.  The majority of the data I have seen, however, has led me to believe that the earth is merely following its natural pattern.
cailuc
Friendly fire isn't
+36|6629
I was making an observation, I never said that global warming was a result of mans activities. 

I happen to agree with you 'atlvolunteer'.
atlvolunteer
PKMMMMMMMMMM
+27|6781|Atlanta, GA USA

cailuc wrote:

I was making an observation, I never said that global warming was a result of mans activities. 

I happen to agree with you 'atlvolunteer'.
My apologies.  I made an (apparently incorrect) assumption based on your posts in this thread, mainly the one I quoted.
Naughty_Om
Im Ron Burgundy?
+355|6643|USA

cailuc wrote:

ALL HAIL THE KING OF THE OBVIOUS...plus one for that one dood
Drykill
I Like Waffles.
+47|6702|England
My theroy on sea level rising is the fact that theres too many boats.
=NAA=TheTaxidermist

Drykill wrote:

My theroy on sea level rising is the fact that theres too many boats.
That, IMHO, is the smartest thing I've heard all day. +1 for you my friend.  All them damn oil tankers and such.

Plus all those cubans in rubber boats would make it rise too.
Skruples
Mod Incarnate
+234|6710

Ever heard of thermal expansion? I'm going to go with the assumption that the scientists are on the right track, and it's you that is ignorant.

Now lets take a look at the possible scenarios:

Scientists are right: global warming will result in a global rise in ocean levels. Measures are taken to prevent this, everyone is happy and gets to keep living.

Scientists are wrong: global warming is not a problem, and measures are taken to prevent it. Everyone still gets to keep living, and maybe we get cleaner air as a bonus.

Scientists are right, no measures are taken: lots of people die, and people like you go and quietly sit in the corner and hope noone notices you or what you said.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6685|Canberra, AUS

Which makes up about .00000001 percent of the glacier's weight (no exaggeration) - and which would melt anyway.

Although no-one is really sure whether global warming will actually raise them or make them SMALLER. The thing is, 'global warming' (quotes added for scientific neutrality) is making the interior Antarctic COLDER (and the coast warmer) - no-one knows what this will do. Antarctica is a much more important factor in determining sea levels than glaciers.

Last edited by Spark (2006-05-31 01:08:39)

The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard