SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3680

uziq wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Heard a coworker say they were without a PC for 5 days thanks to the Win 11 update. They had to roll back to Win 10. I am super excited for Win 11 to decide that I can't play most of the games I want.
in the same boat, actually. latest OSX about 2 versions ago went hard 64-bit. now can only play 3/4s of the games i own (like most steam games) using a built-in Parallels OS environment. won't run any 32-bit games. had to happen at some point, i suppose ... but waddafuck.

glad i don't own one of the first-gen apple CPU-GPU-RAM M1 laptops. a bunch of creative software, music software, games, etc, just flat-out didn't work with those. kept it real with the intel core.
I am still digging my MacbethBook. Sorry to hear you had OS trouble.

Not too long ago I couldn't play most of my games. BsoD, freezing, etc. I assumed it was something to do with the GPU and monitors. When I upgraded to a drive that is directly on the board, whatever they are called, I got a fresh install of Win 10. Everything now runs beautifully. Absolutely no issues. I'm getting the most out of my used car worth of a PC. I guess the issues I had before were related to Windows Rot.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3680

uziq wrote:

(4) Adopt the standpoint that bleeding edge PC gaming in terms of video is coming to an end, for me. Might not be worth keeping track of if a game I'm interested in only comes along every 6 years.
almost undoubtedly this. why in the fuck would anyone pay $1500-2000 for a super-rare scalped GPU thesedays? current-gen GPU-pushing games suck ass!
I needed my GPU for my monitor setup. Noticable upgrade in 4K video playback after going from the 2060 to the 3080. Sometimes wish I got something higher than the 3080 but the price versus performance of the 3080 ti or whatever it is is super not worth it. Like the boost in price from the 3080 to 3090 was like an extra $1200.
uziq
+492|3412
the new OS is great, just i can't play a bunch of mid-2000s orange box games as easily.

they will run fine in a parallels window, which is basically an OS-within-an-OS, emulating 32-bit programs (or windows apps) through OSX.

i just can't be bothered to partition my hard-drive and/or install that shit. i'm past the point of caring about cross-platform drivers and compatibility.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3680
Tim Apple made a big decision for you. He believes you needed to move on from the orange box.
uziq
+492|3412

SuperJail Warden wrote:

uziq wrote:

(4) Adopt the standpoint that bleeding edge PC gaming in terms of video is coming to an end, for me. Might not be worth keeping track of if a game I'm interested in only comes along every 6 years.
almost undoubtedly this. why in the fuck would anyone pay $1500-2000 for a super-rare scalped GPU thesedays? current-gen GPU-pushing games suck ass!
I needed my GPU for my monitor setup. Noticable upgrade in 4K video playback after going from the 2060 to the 3080. Sometimes wish I got something higher than the 3080 but the price versus performance of the 3080 ti or whatever it is is super not worth it. Like the boost in price from the 3080 to 3090 was like an extra $1200.
you really don't need a $1200 graphics card to cope with 4K video playback.

a lot of modern processors can handle 4K video-decoding. it depends on the software application itself.
uziq
+492|3412

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Tim Apple made a big decision for you. He believes you needed to move on from the orange box.
i'm just gonna install an emulator app and play-through a bunch of pokémon games or something. relive my pre-teen years.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3680

uziq wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

i'm just gonna install an emulator app and play-through a bunch of pokémon games or something. relive my pre-teen years.
When I die I hope I wake up in bed in my childhood home and my mom tells me Professor Oak is looking for me.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3680
https://youtu.be/cOWRNLaCMJg

Last edited by SuperJail Warden (2022-01-12 09:17:18)

uziq
+492|3412
i was the first person to complete that first-gen cartridge in my school and i still remember the triumph on the playground. uzi: pokémon master.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6645|United States of America
I distinctly remember beating Lt. Surge while on the toilet and sick from school. Good times.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6732|PNW

uziq wrote:

It's a thing to mourn. "Can it run Crysis" was a much better meme than "does it do 4k?" I am pleased though that some of the best, most iconic PC games in the 2010s and this decade have come from indie developers not exactly pushing the envelope on photorealism. For all my indecisiveness it's probably most likely that I'll build, use the 2070 until that breaks down, then downgrade to my old 9x0 (whatever that was). I just don't have it in me to buy a video card for like 1k+ over MSRP. Took a bit of nomadic shopping, but I managed to avoid buying scalped toiletries in early 2020 as well.

Imagine if RTX was always easy to come by (outside of pandemic shock) and games had matured on its implementation as a supplemental feature rather than as tech demo vibe. As it is now, I can't imagine developing a game with RTX in mind. Who would be my target audience? Tech youtubers? "Yes with this card you can't buy (but was so graciously sent to me, watch how I casually handle it on camera) you too might be able to play X game on ultra detail." It's honestly like the bad sequel to PhysX.
uziq
+492|3412
gaming’s golden years were when you could pay perhaps 2-2.5x the price of the consumer consoles on the market and have a markedly better experience for it. $1200 for a mid-range PC build that was easily affordable and which absolutely blew the $400-600 home consoles out of the water. for a still modest amount of money you could have the ‘hi-def’ master-race experience.

now? no fucking way. you pay $2k minimum to get access to a bunch of unfinished or plain unoriginal games. and most of them are console ports. lmao.

apposite to what we were saying earlier, the only people for whom i can even see the ‘12 CPU, double/triple SLI-‘ monster rigs making sense are the youtube and twitch streamers in their purple LED’d little dungeons. the PC gaming industry had had the same elite trickle-up as every other facet of our lives. PC gaming turned from an affordable hobby into a mouth-breather spectator glom.

Last edited by uziq (2022-01-13 00:26:22)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6732|PNW

PS3 and Wii libraries have been enjoyable, and I've moved back and forth between the two experiencing the nostalgia of playing franchises exclusive to consoles or out on them much earlier than their PC ports. Consoles offer relatively cheap entries into gaming, also considering that AAA on PC aren't even priced like they used to be. Times have changed. PC master race absolutists are suffering from overpriced Stockholm syndrome, and not all of them are even moddable (one of the old selling points) without a lot of reverse engineering or risking whatever phone home nonsense is in the software waiting to shut down accounts because of a "compromised" single player experience. Paaaasss.

Adding again though that the rainbow room of LEDs seem more at home on anime channels than some of the processed twitch videos on youtube from gaming channels I'll sometimes frequent. I've seen a lot of moderate and even subdued setups in otherwise well-lit rooms, maybe prioritizing picture quality. Not a single figurine that would hastily be hidden with surprise guests on the porch.

I watch like 10-20 minutes of videos, usually compiled for youtube from much longer twitch sessions, for a candid, unsponsored gist of a game so I don't have to buy and play it myself, for the same length of time. Gaming press often talks a title up beyond its quality, so I'm not going to go off of their score. Nor those of bandwagon Steam reviews. Like, is it really that good (or bad)? Of twitch itself, if there's a tournament on I might have that going in the background. Certainly better than listening to the hockey guys bitch about coronavirus cancellations.

Adding also that I've had great fun with a some of early access stuff, and sometimes more than in games that release supposedly "gold," but then have significant next-day DLC and $100 for a year of updates. I don't always want another Skyrim's worth of glitchy content that take 200 hours to complete.

SLI turned out to be a big disappointment for me. The idea early on was that video card prices would go down significantly, so you could buy one card and add another card later in SLI. Not so! Prices remained stagnant, so better to just swap up every couple gens and enjoy features that your old card was incapable of.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6732|PNW

PS3 and Wii libraries have been enjoyable, and I've moved back and forth between the two experiencing the nostalgia of playing franchises exclusive to consoles (or out on them much earlier than their PC ports). Consoles offer relatively cheap entries into gaming, also considering that AAA on PC aren't even priced like they used to be. Times have changed. PC master race absolutists are suffering from overpriced Stockholm syndrome, and not all of them are even moddable (one of the old selling points) without a lot of reverse engineering or risking whatever phone home nonsense is in the software waiting to shut down accounts because of a "compromised" single player experience. Paaaasss.

Adding again though that the rainbow room of LEDs seem more at home on anime channels than some of the processed twitch videos on youtube from gaming channels I'll sometimes frequent. I've seen a lot of moderate and even subdued setups in otherwise well-lit rooms, maybe prioritizing picture quality. Not a single figurine that would hastily be hidden with surprise guests on the porch.

I watch like 10-20 minutes of videos, usually compiled for youtube from much longer twitch sessions, for a candid, unsponsored gist of a game so I don't have to buy and play it myself, for the same length of time. Gaming press often talks a title up beyond its quality, so I'm not going to go off of their score. Nor those of bandwagon Steam reviews. Like, is it really that good (or bad)? Of twitch itself, if there's a tournament on I might have that going in the background. Certainly better than listening to the hockey guys bitch about coronavirus cancellations.

Adding also that I've had great fun with a some of early access stuff, and sometimes more than in games that release supposedly "gold," but then have significant next-day DLC and $100 for a year of updates. I don't always want another Skyrim's worth of glitchy content that take 200 hours to complete.

SLI turned out to be a big disappointment for me. The idea early on was that video card prices would go down significantly, so you could buy one card and add another card later in SLI. Not so! Prices remained stagnant, so better to just swap up every couple gens and enjoy features that your old card was incapable of.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6732|PNW

If it weren't for a couple of upcoming titles I really want to play on PC, at this point I'd be leaning heavily towards a Macbook and whatever else Nintendo has to offer in the future. Why shouldn't I? "Hey here's some Nintendo 64 and Genesis games you didn't ask for, but now you can play them on your new console." Earlier, "sorry about the initial problems with our DS software. That's all patched now, and for the trouble here's a bunch of free NES games. Thanks for buying early and please enjoy!"

Meanwhile, in mobile games (the one thing you can play in public without "embarrassing yourself," lol): "40,000 crystals for $50, 100,000 crystals is $100. Without our microtransactions, it'll take 48 more hours to build your lumber mill."

Meanwhile, in FTP PC: "buy a premium account and earn more currency and xp with each match." Unsaid: "without, you'll barely break even and your stats will suffer because our premium ammo is more reliable in almost every way."
uziq
+492|3412
lifelong pass on mobile games. they are very popular in korea. everyone on the subway is watching videos or playing games on their phones. those are two use-cases i have never reached to my phone for. just cannot understand it (though i was pretty surprised when i first saw current-gen phones playing, like fortnite or pubg or something; i had no idea they had that much horsepower).

picking up an iphone 13 mini this month. thank god some people are downsizing their phones and going back to simple basics. i am tired of giant slabs of glass in my pocket. the latest-gen full-size iphones are fucking heavy bricks. i read/text/scroll only on my mobile devices.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6732|PNW

I'm of the mind that I game enough as it is without adding phone time to it. I maybe launch Robot Unicorn Attack 2 once every couple years or so when I can think of nothing better to do while waiting in the car for someone, and that's pretty much it. There's a lot of things going on under the hood on some of those phones. The notion that they will eventually displace gaming systems entirely has some merit if things continue as they are, but mobile games themselves are cancer.

Galaxy Note is nice but I am not a huge fan of the wraparound screen. Have to hold the thing gingerly or you might unintentionally scroll. Much prefer more defined edges on my devices. Easier to keep clean. I wouldn't mind getting a flip-phone again. I miss having tactile buttons so that I can make a call while driving without having to pull over to look at the screen, or relying heavily on voice command.

Re: indies - that one time google got counter-bullied by terraria

In early February 2021, Andrew Spinks announced the cancellation of the Stadia port of Terraria due to the suspension of the Re-Logic/Spinks's Google account without a given reason for over three weeks.[54] He also announced that Re-Logic would not be working with Google again in the future stating, "I will not be involved with a corporation that values their customers and partners so little. Doing business with Google is a liability."[55] He later clarified that existing Android and Google Play versions of the game will not be affected.[56] Later that February, Google reached out to Re-Logic about the account shutdown and provided transparency around the situation and restored their accounts, and subsequently, Re-Logic reaffirmed that they still planned to release the game for Stadia, which it did on March 18, 2021.[57]
"We're sorry! Please don't cancel on Stadia!" rofl
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6732|PNW

Actual RGB nerd setup spotted on imgur:

Bonus video card comment:

I was going to get an EVGA RTX 3080, but I missed the buy window and I’m not caving to scalpers. Plus the 1070 does just fine for most modern titles.
lol

I don't see these that often. Still not for me, that lighting is really harsh. I'd have it turned off most of the time. It's enough aggravation having a singular blue making an entire room glow in the dark. I got that stuff out of my system with a green cold cathodes burning into my peripheral vision. Admittedly cool effect lighting up the perforated front of the Lian Li (no side window), but that too, I turned off when the computer was in use. Should've gotten a photo with a fog machine before I was done with that PC.

To the desks' credit, it's all very clean. Not at all like the South Park WoW nerd's workspace.

I myself have too many book stacks, and the underside of one side of my corner desk is packed with storage boxes.
uziq
+492|3412
it looks horrible but totally unexceptional. isn’t it funny that nerds’ tastes all seem to be the same narrow interpretation of cyberpunk?

lol at the KRK speakers. definitely recommended to him on reddit. bad choice for gaming. and a subwoofer too … oh lord.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6732|PNW

Even the colors are predictable. Had a small laugh at that but didn't drop a comment.

I did a few stints as a last-minute roadie for a small-time performer. The fancy lights were set up for performances, but generally left off back at the studio unless they were figuring out what they wanted for a performance.

Re: KRK, Probably worse choices out there for intro monitors? Off the top of my head I'd probably opt for Yamahas at the same range. I haven't kept up on speakers admittedly. From my dad I have some bulky old JBL monitors on my TV system, and an ancient Altec 5.1 setup in my office that last saw use I think before Battlefield 2. Both could probably use updating, but for computing I'm almost exclusively headphones or earbuds anyway. I just do something else if I need a break from it.

e: spotted on bookshelf, famous sci-fi dune on prominent display

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2022-01-16 02:52:52)

uziq
+492|3412
why would you want studio monitors for gaming? i see nothing there for music or audio production, except a software mixer and a microphone for (i assume) VoIP/streaming. studio monitors are a horrible choice of speaker for 'immersive' entertainment: they are flat EQ'd and extremely, extremely directional.

his main gaming monitor is to the right of both of his speakers. the 'cone' projected by a studio monitor is very important. so he's essentially got his 'stereo' field coming in his left ear whilst he games. brilliant. (it also seems like he has a headphone amplifier which is more expensive than his headphones - i mean, why).

adding a giant subwoofer might make impressive booming noises, but they'll be poorly defined, muddy, and will add a nice long-wavelength soundwave to bounce and reverberate around your room, clashing and colliding with all the other 'high-quality' sound, unless you have a properly sound-treated room with all the corner traps and foam trimmings. which, predictably, he doesn't. framed videogame artwork more important! i bet that subwoofer stays off for 90% of the time because it sounds horrible or creates unmanageable booming.

i LOL'd at the KRKs because they're the default recommendation on reddit for people who know a little, but not a lot, about sound. like reddit will always recommend people the exact same 2-3 types of earphone/headphone because they're the 'insider secret' for nerds to snigger at dre-beats and airpods. LOL.

e: i clicked through to the expanded gallery (was it there before? couldn't see on phone browser) and now see a MIDI keyboard and some music production stuff. fair enough, but still an incredibly strange arrangement of speakers/production space.

the cable management is very nice, i'll say that.

Last edited by uziq (2022-01-16 03:02:37)

uziq
+492|3412
speaking of sound, anyway ... reason #619 why i love this city.

https://i.imgur.com/5yZss8Z.jpg?1

just the most perfect arrangement of sound-systems ... one of the best possible analogue mixers available to order (hand-made) anywhere in the world ...

https://architizer.com/projects/camerata-music-space/

"The project contains two distinctively different programs. The first one is a residence for a small family and the second one is a L.P. music listening space. The client has a great collection of old L.P.s of 20th century American music and he listens to them with 1930’s antique stereo equipment, mostly from the U.S.

Once a nationally favored anchorman of Korea, he is preparing to retire and go back to his hometown area to rest and enjoy the rest of his life with his wife and music. The music listening studio is to be open to the general public or “whoever loves music.”

As far as I understood, the clients were quite spiritual with regards to listening taste and philosophy. "

Last edited by uziq (2022-01-16 03:59:10)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6732|PNW

uziq wrote:

why would you want studio monitors for gaming? i see nothing there for music or audio production, except a software mixer and a microphone for (i assume) VoIP/streaming. studio monitors are a horrible choice of speaker for 'immersive' entertainment: they are flat EQ'd and extremely, extremely directional.
The person looks like they do both gaming and music stuff.

From a personal standpoint, I prefer monitors for long gaming sessions. Some of the headphones I've tried with more "oomph" get a bit old the 100th time you open and close a squeaky virtual door. Contrast can be very stark. I see no particular reason someone can't have do both. Gaming headphones, monitor speakers. Or monitor headphones, gaming speakers.

Takes me forever to choose some of that stuff because of all the process of elimination on the pros and cons.

e: The JBLs on the TV were hand-me-downs. Not my purchase, but they do a fine job of being loud and immersive enough. I don't think I've ever cranked them up all the way. I tested that partly with Return of the Jedi, about made my teeth rattle. I've been meaning to update to a better surround system for some time though.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2022-01-16 04:59:00)

uziq
+492|3412
i would choose a high quality 2.1/5.1 surround system or bookshelf speakers over monitors every time for gaming. monitors are not made for that use-case. you’ll invariably get more ‘bang for your buck’ if you go down the surround sound/hi-fi route.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6732|PNW

Sonic weaponry.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard