Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5328|London, England

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Trump '24?
Pass. But honestly it depends on who the Democrats put up.

Last edited by Jay (2022-01-15 12:07:09)

"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
Roe v Wade?
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

SuperJail Warden wrote:

New NYC mayor?
I don't work in the city anymore so I honestly couldn't care less.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
Ruth Ginsburg?
uziq
+492|3422

Jay wrote:

uziq wrote:

because the kind benevolent scientist men told you it’s good for you, and you don’t want your family turning up in one of those news stories that talk about your death-bed regrets. ‘ayn rand was wrong … i was … betrayed by alex jones …’
That doesn't answer my question, now does it? Why do I need a booster? What will it do for me?
it will measurably boost your protection against serious illness and death, that's why.

if you had a vaccine early last year, and presumably haven't caught the 'rona since then, then your antibody levels will be low and your immune system not fully prepared.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
Labor shortage?
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
China?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Roe v Wade?
I think both sides have really fucked the whole thing up by trying to one up each other on the extremism. I do recognize that abortion means a life is taken, but I leave the moral judgement to others. I don't feel strongly.
-Frederick Bastiat
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
Marjorie Taylor Green?
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
Do you find AOC attractive? This is a serious question.
Larssen
+99|1857
Both masks and the current cycle of vaccines are imperfect but best effort attempts at preventing more death than health systems can cope with or is necessary. You know for a fact that they (1) lessen the chance of you getting the virus (2) lessen the chance of you infecting someone else (3) lessen the (possible) severity of symptoms with onset of the disease.

All are of net benefit to society. Whilst you may care for direct covid-related care, there are people who have had necessary operations delayed for many months because hospital wards are full of covid patients and doctors/nurses aren't available to return to regular order of business. For a practical example; I've once been operated on a deviated septum after breaking my nose. If this happened sometime in 2020, chances are I'd still be on the waiting list for an operation. And that's mild. There's people with far more pressing health needs that aren't being met.

tldr and you should know this by now, getting vaccinated, boostered, wearing your mask, are very simple things you can do to allow the system to function as well as it could under these circumstances.

Last edited by Larssen (2022-01-15 12:10:46)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
Supply chain shortage?
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
Let's Go Brandon?
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
Ron DeSantis?
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
Transgender bathroom bills?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

uziq wrote:

Jay wrote:

uziq wrote:

because the kind benevolent scientist men told you it’s good for you, and you don’t want your family turning up in one of those news stories that talk about your death-bed regrets. ‘ayn rand was wrong … i was … betrayed by alex jones …’
That doesn't answer my question, now does it? Why do I need a booster? What will it do for me?
it will measurably boost your protection against serious illness and death, that's why.

if you had a vaccine early last year, and presumably haven't caught the 'rona since then, then your antibody levels will be low and your immune system not fully prepared.
But I've now had covid twice (had it again right after Christmas) and in both cases my most serious symptom was a hangover headache coupled with fatigue. The only people that care about covid anymore are the zoomers.

I know more people that have had covid in the past three weeks than have not. Only one semi serious case among the lot of them. Covid is over. By the time they make an omicron shot it will have been gone for six months. This is what endemic looks like.
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
+492|3422
i'm with you that omicron looks much less severe. but delta cases are still high in the USA and its stats are nothing like so mild and glib as you make out.

puzzled by your comment about 'only zoomers' caring about covid. is this like a further twist of idiocy in america? first it was only democrats who cared, and now it's been filtered by generation? that doesn't accord with the picture anywhere i've seen it in europe or asia. people are still thinking of 'society'-wide measures and how they can shelter seniors/the vulnerable/etc.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Larssen wrote:

Both masks and the current cycle of vaccines are imperfect but best effort attempts at preventing more death than health systems can cope with or is necessary. You know for a fact that they (1) lessen the chance of you getting the virus (2) lessen the chance of you infecting someone else (3) lessen the (possible) severity of symptoms with onset of the disease.

All are of net benefit to society. Whilst you may care for direct covid-related care, there are people who have had necessary operations delayed for many months because hospital wards are full of covid patients and doctors/nurses aren't available to return to regular order of business. For a practical example; I've once been operated on a deviated septum after breaking my nose. If this happened sometime in 2020, chances are I'd still be on the waiting list for an operation. And that's mild. There's people with far more pressing health needs that aren't being met.

tldr and you should know this by now, getting vaccinated, boostered, wearing your mask, are very simple things you can do to allow the system to function as well as it could under these circumstances.
When I design a ventilation system that is able to capture viruses I am pulling through a 2" pre-filter and a 4" primary filter. I have to upsize my fan quite a bit because it's a lot like pulling air through a straw. If you don't get the same sensation when you're wearing a mask it's not doing anything for you. Masks gave people a feeling of being in control of an uncontrollable situation and got many scared people back to work, but they're little more than a placebo.

Last edited by Jay (2022-01-15 12:17:01)

-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

uziq wrote:

i'm with you that omicron looks much less severe. but delta cases are still high in the USA and its stats are nothing like so mild and glib as you make out.

puzzled by your comment about 'only zoomers' caring about covid. is this like a further twist of idiocy in america? first it was only democrats who cared, and now it's been filtered by generation? that doesn't accord with the picture anywhere i've seen it in europe or asia. people are still thinking of 'society'-wide measures and how they can shelter seniors/the vulnerable/etc.
Zoom class. Office workers. Not generational.
-Frederick Bastiat
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
Do you like Magic the Gathering or Hearts of Iron? Do you play any video games?
Larssen
+99|1857

Jay wrote:

Larssen wrote:

When I design a ventilation system that is able to capture viruses I am pulling through a 2" pre-filter and a 4" primary filter. I have to upsize my fan quite a bit because it's a lot like pulling air through a straw. If you don't get the same sensation when you're wearing a mask it's not doing anything for you. Masks gave people a feeling of being in control of an uncontrollable situation and got many scared people back to work, but they're little more than a placebo.
well yes, they barely contribute and keeping 6ft distance is far more important, but in crowded spaces there is some benefit. Still, getting vaccinated and having a booster are just common sense in my book.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
People who prepare food must stay masked.
uziq
+492|3422

Jay wrote:

Larssen wrote:

sorry but this is dumb and flies completely in the face of respiratory science. we are not talking about HVAC jay and aerosols. 95% of infections occur in very close proximity to one another and with relatively large, semi-liquid viral molecules, not fine aerosols at very, very low parts per million.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

uziq wrote:

Jay wrote:

Larssen wrote:

sorry but this is dumb and flies completely in the face of respiratory science. we are not talking about HVAC jay and aerosols. 95% of infections occur in very close proximity to one another and with relatively large, semi-liquid viral molecules, not fine aerosols at very, very low parts per million.
Believe what you want. I'm not going to sit here trying to convince you of anything.

I will say that it's nice to see you come around to the position I was in nearly two years ago. Protect the old and the sick and move on with our lives.
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Time for me to drive. Ta!
-Frederick Bastiat

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard