Announcement

Join us on Discord: https://discord.gg/nf43FxS
unnamednewbie13
+1,951|5941|USA

I have a huge problem with how a lot of the easy access stuff is so unabashedly misinformation on some level. Joe Average probably isn't going to get his opinions from behind a paywall, or know to mash escape on a refresh to time popup avoidance. A lot of these articles are things parroted or linked to on social media fake news spread as well. Unapologetically exploited by politicians.

In cases of stuff like the pandemic, it affects everyone.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+528|2889
Breitbart News Editor-in-Chief Alex Marlow and World Editor Frances Martel both described TikTok, a video-sharing app owned by Chinese company ByteDance, as a “foreign weapon” targeting American children and youth on Monday’s edition of the Breitbart News Daily podcast.

TikTok’s displacement of Google as the world’s most popular website, Marlow held, is illustrative of a broader displacement of America’s global position by China. He warned of TikTok and other digital apps’ capacities to obstruct personal development with time-wasting endeavors.

He remarked, “I was floored by the data that TikTok is now even more popular than Google around the world as the most popular domain. Not only is TikTok run by the Beijing Communist Party, but it’s also something that is wildly distracting, and it seems to be custom-built to distract young Americans from doing anything productive, and just to get sucked into this black hole of staring at your screen all day doing stupid stuff.”
They are 100% correct.

Kids shouldn't be on TikTok all day looking at videos. They should instead be in the Brietbart and Fox News comment section absorbing negativity and talking with people old enough to remember when Blazing Saddles was in theaters.

“It struck me as maybe the beginning of the end of American domination around the world, and I hate to be grave about it, but I think someone needs to be. If we keep doing this – wasting millions upon millions of hours – every year staring at these screens – are we going to be able to process exactly how scary the world can be?”
Who wants to live like this? Being scared all the time.

Dorks.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
uziq
+439|2622
these people are obsessed with productivity and competition - meaning the workers aren't working hard enough for the vested interests which fund them and sponsor all their verbiage. heaven forbid that people waste time on phones or having fun! how will we COMPETE in the GLOBAL GAME against our enemies?

nevermind that, by all accounts, the CCP have huge issues of their own with chinese students playing (western) computer games to excess or young workers dropping out of society to ‘lie down’ all day procrastinating on social media. the CCP just banned video games for all students, i think, or restricted them to one day per week or something, in a similar moral-political panic. perhaps not a good look to try and match their rhetoric, breitbart.

maybe they should think a little harder about why working/living conditions are so poor in their own countries that people are driven to spend half their lives seeking distraction and escapism. a healthy, engaged and contented populace don't spend $1500 a month on mobile games.

this sort of moral jeremiad is pretty timeless. 'the lower orders have too much cakes and ale!' the paranoiac twist, that somehow the CCP are using phone apps to subvert democracy or take over people's minds, is straight out of 'the manchurian candidate'. there's definitely privacy/surveillance worries about any sort of foreign-directed tech, but to turn it into a matter of 'distraction' and 'productivity' is another thing entirely. it reminds me of the signs stuck up in amazon warehouses blaring, in all caps, that workers SHOULD NOT LOOK AT THEIR PHONES WHEN CLOCKED IN.

Last edited by uziq (2022-01-04 04:03:24)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+528|2889
It has less to do with productivity obsession and more to do with just culture war. Young people on TikTok are cultural libs. The people who manage TikTok are university educated people working out of California. Same with most tech companies. Of course we know the average university educated engineer is usually two degrees to the right of the social science and liberal arts students but the sort of the people who Brietbart panders to never been to college or if they did it was a technical one. Further, right wingers in big cities are still pretty different from the "middle America" conservatives. Urban right wingers still enjoy Asian fusion restaurants and don't mind people who are different to a point. There are many people in this country who by choice live off of macaroni and cheese, chicken nuggets, burgers and hotdogs. While this looks delicious to us, it is alien to many Americans who just want a burger and some dad rock playing in the background.
https://i.pinimg.com/474x/9d/db/da/9ddbda7206888b80a58f83bec9100cfd.jpg

Newbie wrote:

You are stereotyping them as much as they would stereotype you.
True but at least I am willing to try different things.
uziq
+439|2622
lol, a very neat representation there. you're probably right that the battle-lines are as much sociological as political now.
unnamednewbie13
+1,951|5941|USA

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Newbie wrote:

You are stereotyping them as much as they would stereotype you.
True but at least I am willing to try different things.
Wouldn't be my first choice of response. More along the lines of what zeek already covered. If your society is sinking so drastically into escapism to cause such concern, then maybe are some root problems that need to be addressed.

I've spent more time building homes in building games, than I have building a home for myself (not done this at all but point stands). One is affordable, the other is financially onerous these days.

Google is toxic. Youtube has turned into a massively unfriendly environment for content creators. I don't blame people for moving to other platforms. Lots of YT stuff from video game people is just compiled twitch clips.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+528|2889
I think we should promote homesteading in the Great Plains. Many people would like to build a home IRL.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2022 Jeff Minard