Larssen
+99|1857
fuck em. I truly regret not confronting these people. They go to poor countries to lose themselves in hedonism at the expense of others' dignity, both on an individual and community level, also completely purposefully ignorant to the fact that they're actually abusive to often helpless girls. Almost all of them were basic sacks of shit too, but no surprise there. The west also has no idea how truly bad these people are for its international reputation.

If he wants a latin american girl he should go to like florida or spain. Find one who's at least on equal socioeconomic footing, but I suppose the unequal power dynamic is one of the 'attractive' features here.

I've met many eternal travellers, all of them fall in my 'useless westerner' category so far.
uziq
+492|3422
i've met a few people who are here for interesting reasons, typically working in the arts or culture industry, or who are clearly here for a fixed-term working for the major tech-sector companies. i also don't have anything against english teachers tbh, it's a fine thing to do when you're fresh out of university and full of spunk. i don't think it hurts anyone, not in east asia at least: young 20-somethings hooking up with each other out of cross-cultural curiosity. it's not english teachers who fill out the brothels and pick up vulnerable women. american soldiers off-base, on the other hand ...

i've never been to a place with a major socioeconomic difference or 'privilege', and i'm not interested in thailand or colombia, etc, really either. exposure to actual middle-aged creeps has been mercifully minimal.
Larssen
+99|1857
I mean there's nothing wrong with expats, people who work on the road etc. I was in China years ago and had a great time with a group of 8 americans who worked as english teachers in the country through the peace corps. I met fantastic people living/working all over the world. What I'm specifically pissed about is the sex tourists, and they're numerous in some specific places.

You won't see them in korea, that's for sure. The only place I've been where it was obvious was in colombia. Which is a shame imo, because it's otherwise a beautiful country that is absolutely well worth a visit. It has 4 different climate regions and beautiful nature, is rich in culture, produces lots of famous latin american art/music/shows, there's a lot to like. It's also cheap, you can stay there for a month and barely spend anything, which makes this ( & thailand, laos etc.) a popular travelling destination. It just has a dark undercurrent that's obviously derived from its narco-state history, and prostitution is a very big part of it. Much like how I imagine mexico is in some places as well.

If I were to choose a place to live and work for a while I would probably be more inclined to pick south korea like yourself, or other developed (western) countries.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Side note, James Franco's wikipedia page is a wild ride.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX

uziq wrote:

cooks his own beef bourguinon and is so satisfied with his bourgeois domesticity that he wants to let you know about it. probably thinking of buying a small notebook for wine tasting notes, though he's not so sure whether or not to brag to his colleagues at the office about that part yet (they might laugh; requires development of that talent tree in future levelling). will undoubtedly purchase a subscription to a home-delivery wine service at some point, though (prefers riesling, natürlich).

thinks he knows fashion but demonstrably can't tell the difference between a punk rocker's dr marten and a fashionista's ganni. thinks he knows music but inevitably listens to david guetta and recycles plaudits about kendrick lamar. thinks he knows a lot but is in fact as circumscribed in his sheer, overwhelming normie-ness as a lizard in a tank, tongue-flickering, fancies that he's the t-rex of the wilderness.
Somewhere though there's someone a whole lot better than you who would use this description for you.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Larssen wrote:

fuck em. I truly regret not confronting these people. They go to poor countries to lose themselves in hedonism at the expense of others' dignity,
How do you think trickle-down economics works?
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690

uziq wrote:

i actually know a guy who is teaching english at a private academy in korea who wants to get a master's in education (to earn more as a teacher at similar private businesses in future), and then relocate to colombia for that reason. he 'loves latin women
Men with masters in education... don't trust them.

Also, the girl from the spiderman movie is hot.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/28/Zendaya_-_2019_by_Glenn_Francis.jpg/1200px-Zendaya_-_2019_by_Glenn_Francis.jpg
Not Hispanic though
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
uziq
+492|3422

Dilbert_X wrote:

uziq wrote:

cooks his own beef bourguinon and is so satisfied with his bourgeois domesticity that he wants to let you know about it. probably thinking of buying a small notebook for wine tasting notes, though he's not so sure whether or not to brag to his colleagues at the office about that part yet (they might laugh; requires development of that talent tree in future levelling). will undoubtedly purchase a subscription to a home-delivery wine service at some point, though (prefers riesling, natürlich).

thinks he knows fashion but demonstrably can't tell the difference between a punk rocker's dr marten and a fashionista's ganni. thinks he knows music but inevitably listens to david guetta and recycles plaudits about kendrick lamar. thinks he knows a lot but is in fact as circumscribed in his sheer, overwhelming normie-ness as a lizard in a tank, tongue-flickering, fancies that he's the t-rex of the wilderness.
Somewhere though there's someone a whole lot better than you who would use this description for you.
uhuu huu huuu show me where daddy hurt you
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

Reeeeeee fragile ego challenged ....  does not compute reeeeeee
Tell us more about your favourite trainers and how you roasted a chicken

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2021-12-26 21:00:22)

uziq
+492|3422
not my favourite trainers and i never volunteered a story about roasting a chicken?

in both cases other people made a comment and i made a response.

british people roast a meat every single week. it’s literally the national meal, you fucking idiot. only you made it a conspicuous point of comment and tried to turn it into an insult. it’s literally one of the most mundane, quotidian aspects of any british person’s diet. iirc i mentioned it because macbeth said he was weirded out about eating chicken after seeing the animal carcass - something which, erm, most people who cook at home are very familiar with, on account of roasting being so common.

you’re touchy about this subject because you’re a grown man who still has his dinners decided and likely cooked by his pensioner-aged parents. you sad cunt

Last edited by uziq (2021-12-26 21:35:13)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
"Pregnant sidechick crashes wedding!"

https://old.reddit.com/r/PublicFreakout … s_wedding/

Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6686

SuperJail Warden wrote:

"Pregnant sidechick crashes wedding!"

https://old.reddit.com/r/PublicFreakout … s_wedding/

https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
Get Lucky is my least favorite Daft Punk song. Probably their worst. Awful song.
uziq
+492|3422
the whole album was cheesy as hell. sometimes you think france has taste and pedigree and then they go and remind you that they’re addicted to some of the cringiest eurotrash. nobody needed to revive giorgio moroder in the 2010s. turn off the moogs. that album sounded like what an elevator from the 70s with carpeted walls smells like.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
Discovery was a masterpiece of an album. So at least they have that. Anything after that blah.

+1 if you can you guess my favorite Daft Punk song. It was used in a commercial once.
uziq
+492|3422
about 60% of all daft punk songs have been used in commercials.

their earlier albums were great. perfect mix of retro/futuristic. truly contemporary. the last one was their equivalent of a band going ‘prog’.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
The first time I heard 'one more time', not my favorite song but I like it, It was on the radio and I assumed it was from the '70s or '80s.

I mostly listen to rock music but find sampling and mixing music super cool. Daft Punk, avalanches etc. taking a few seconds of an obscure song and creating something totally new and fun is really special. It's a shame many people don't consider that to be music or creative. Meanwhile they can't even play a guitar.

Also, did I ever tell you I own a guitar?
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
The guitar is where I put my favorite hat. Looked pretty cool and I could say "rock and roll thing" if anyone recognized it. You don't like the Sex Pistols?
https://c8.alamy.com/comp/MHHPPN/acoustic-guitar-with-hanging-hat-on-fingerboard-MHHPPN.jpg
I keep the hat in the closet now though.
uziq
+492|3422
i haven't heard anyone tout the 'sampling isn't creative' line since, like, forever. i thought that was a tedious argument in the 1980s when sampling technology started being accessible and wasn't for the likes of rock supergroups who could afford their porsche-like pricing (i think genesis or phil collins or someone was the first to discover the possibilities of samplers when they had one in their multi-million dollar recording studio or something ... or, like, peter gabriel maybe).

sampling is the fundamental technology behind hip-hop and was behind most of the early 1990s rave and dance music (original drum machines, synthesizers, sequencers, etc, were expensive and rave was a movement of bedroom amateurs largely). it was equally parts urban and equally parts punk: 'seize the means of production!' inspired by collage, william burrough's cut-ups, graffiti, DIY, etc. any number of creative wellsprings fed into sampling culture. a lot of people turned it not only to creative uses but to overly critical ones, as in 'culture jamming', appropriating sounds from official or 'high' culture sources and turning them to different ends. like a surrealist dérive.

the cultural pedigree of sampling goes very deep. you could probably even arguably connect it to a whole musique concrète tradition and of experiments with recording media like tapes/tape loops, etc. it views music as 'material' rather than as a disembodied performance scored in notation and composed using formal theory. samplers turned music on its head and helped artists to see it almost as a plastic art, to be cut, sculpted, reversed, pitched, slowed, recontextualised, etc.

the amazing thing about the breadth and depth of daft punk's own sampling in their hey-day is that people were still digging their samples and discovering new sources like, as recently as a few years ago. that's pretty cool. lots of producers like daft punk raided old library music archives, literally these huge vaults of records from the glory days of TV/radio broadcasting, when state broadcasters particularly had subterranean worlds full of 100,000s of neglected records.

can you tell i own a sampler?

Last edited by uziq (2022-01-02 00:28:37)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
We should start a band.
uziq
+492|3422
i have a few guitars, a nice old amp, and a bunch of guitar pedals, too. but latterly i got more and more interested in the pedalboard and in fucking up sound. which is why i bought a sampler.

music software nowadays is so powerful. with a $300 laptop and a $200 audio interface you could make an album that sounds as good as 90% of the stuff from the 1990s. it's at such a point that people pay exorbitant prices for 'vintage' gear from the 1980s and 1990s which is stone-age in comparison but which has 'grit' or imperfections (any music software can sample now and sample very well, but it'll lack the compression and low-bitrate crunch of the samplers which daft punk used, way before the devices even had screens and most samples were loaded from floppy disk or ripped from vinyl).

when everyone can create high-quality pretty easily on software, everything becomes less interesting and boiled down to bleh. that's basically what EDM is. software synths, software drums, software white noise washes. it all sounds fucking identical.

Last edited by uziq (2022-01-02 00:52:32)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Line 6 Variax 600 and a hand-me-down acoustic that doesn't hold a tune. A cat barfed on the amplifier the Line 6 came with. Strike another in disfavor of cats, but it could have as easily been a puppy.
uziq
+492|3422
i never liked acoustic very much. couldn't play them very well. wider necks and higher fretboards.

sometimes i still gas over a fender jaguar/jazzmaster or something, but really the extent of my guitar playing in the last decade has been aimlessly riffing when sat in an office chair and stuck with a particularly difficult piece of work. not worth the grands.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

I am admittedly enjoying my cheap Luna uke more these days. Space-saving, easily portable, chill sound.

I could be practicing on them more as well as my keyboard, but I prefer to think of them as toys more than an obligation.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
Did you know young people aren't trying musical instruments like they used to? Nobody wants to be a rock star. They want to be DJs. Drums, guitar, etc? Big decline among American youth.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard