KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

My dad still hunts and pecks. He also sends me voice messages instead of texts because "it's too much work".

You know what I tell him? OK, Boomer.
uziq
+492|3422
i remember trying consciously to learn to touch-type one summer in my teens. made a lot of mess and typos at first, but really did not take long at all. the main thing is to find an ergonomic, well-fitting, good-quality keyboard. as soon as those keys spring back up at you and your hand compasses the board nicely, you're away. it's really not difficult.

there's plenty of touch-typing and typing-racer type websites that let you practice, too. it's really an essential skill if you work in an office. i send 50 emails every day, or at least did when i still in an editorial department. that's a full-time job in-itself if you can't rattle off an email in < 2 minutes.

Last edited by uziq (2021-11-29 23:39:10)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

uziq wrote:

i want as few lights as possible. put all the cost into good materials and top-quality springs (including lifetime/reliability).

the optimal keyboard use is touch-typing and not even thinking twice about the interface.

take the 40-100 hrs necessary to learn how to touch type rather than blow $200 on a keyboard where you have to stare at your hands all the time.
I feel the same way about LEDs on other electronics. If it has a light on it, there should be a switch to turn it off. We are being assaulted by all our household gadgets, not just by nerd peripherals. My router has a light switch, but it always leaves the "master" LED on. Sigh.

I think lit keyboards can serve a purpose though, in helping people learn the shortcuts to a new productivity app (zboard was a big help there) or the controls to a new game. Like I'm comfortable enough to the point where I can use either my left or right hand alone as long as I feel out the home key, but I don't have an innate knowledge of every unique set of control groupings for every new video game with 50+ commands, let alone the chunk of them I reassigned. This is where the lights could come in handy for a handy quick reference.

e: i think a very quality-of-life feature on a game's keybindings screen would be a visual representation of a keyboard showing you where all your stuff is being assigned, and colored by category. along with a command to pop it up for quick reference.

DesertFox- wrote:

I learned a Gen Z coworker of mine doesn't quite know how to touch-type. He had a typing class, but you could see your hands the whole time and cheat. My school had cut the lids off of cardboard boxes and put those over the boards so you couldn't see them, which in retrospect I think was quite a clever solution.
Your coworker screwed themselves a bit. I learned to touch type by just not looking down. Was all about getting that high score. Keeping your eyes on the prize could shave off seconds.

Some cool typing games on Steam. Epistory is fun, but it just throws random words at you with time pressure. Not a lot of sustained typing there you can really dig into.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2021-11-30 02:48:56)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

I feel the same way about LEDs on other electronics. If it has a light on it, there should be a switch to turn it off. We are being assaulted by all our household gadgets, not just by nerd peripherals. My router has a light switch, but it always leaves the "master" LED on. Sigh.
I like total darkness in bed. Like pitch black nothingness. So I make sure to have voice activated switches for anything that produces light when I try to sleep. Also, blackout curtains are cool.

How do I get into bed in the darkness? I don't. I have a voice activated light switch. I highly suggest you get a voice light switch. Makes getting into bed better organized.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Don't you usually you just know where your own bed is even in the pitch black. Your ninjitsu doesn't sound strong.
uziq
+492|3422

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

e: i think a very quality-of-life feature on a game's keybindings screen would be a visual representation of a keyboard showing you where all your stuff is being assigned, and colored by category. along with a command to pop it up for quick reference.
the thing is, once you've learned a keyboard shortcut, you really don't need to look at your keyboard.

it's like the interactive bar added on recent macbooks. it's a neat concept, it made me go 'oooh, neat!' several times, but whenever i'm looking down at my keyboard, i'm generally looking at the wrong thing.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Keys stay in the same place of course (I don't need to look down to hunt for a specific key), but control layouts change from game to game. The more complicated, the more often I have to back into the menu to double check what something was until I'm used to a new title. Worse when I change controls at all (which I usually to to get used to a new game faster), I can't really ask other players because they'll usually just say "J" or something, and then there's the back and forth where I'm saying "no, I changed all my controls, what function name on the left column that corresponds to this particular desired action?" "Uh, J, duh."

Also for productivity, less checking once I've learned shortcuts that I use most of the time. Some programs though have like several shortcuts per key depending on if you're holding ctrl, alt, shift, or some combination of those. A glance down at a zboard for something not off the top of my head would be a lot faster than dicking around with something like mousing through Office's ribbon system.

Nothing make or break, just a practical, quality of life use for nerd lights.
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6260|Washington St.
I wonder if random people strolling around internet find this forum and just wonder wtf is going on. A forum that's still around built for a game that came out in 2005?
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

Bf2s is one of those caves in the south pacific that houses 4 Japanese soldiers who still think WW2 is going on.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689

pirana6 wrote:

I wonder if random people strolling around internet find this forum and just wonder wtf is going on. A forum that's still around built for a game that came out in 2005?
In Discord a random Asian teen girl showed up. She found the Asian female thread through Google by accident. My username draws Google searches if someone is into the show Superjail.
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6260|Washington St.
I didn't even know your name was from something.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6686

SuperJail Warden wrote:

pirana6 wrote:

In Discord a random Asian teen girl showed up. She found the Asian female thread through Google by accident. My username draws Google searches if someone is into the show Superjail.
rip
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
uziq
+492|3422
she accused me of being racist. i think because i repeated a bit from the early 2000s ricky gervais radio show about asian people either looking really young or really old. it’s a karl pilkington ‘genius idiot’ comment. which is kind of true. you never see an asian who is identifiably middle-aged. i should know. i’ve been doing field research for the last year.

the same thing happens with russians, but worse. all the vodka and blasts of cold arctic wind rushing across the tundra and taiga finally gets to them. russian women are insanely hot until about 26. then they become cowl-wearing babooshkas with a lone protuberant hair on their chin. and probably a wart. it’s uncanny.

this can’t be racist. it’s science.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6686
asians dont raisin.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
uziq
+492|3422
in her defense she was criticizing a thread called 'the asian females' thread or something, which to the bf2s-uninitiated must seem insanely crass, especially in light of internet culture nowadays, where it must seem positively like an incel-breeding agar plate.

i think i was always against weird pervy threads like that but the general tone and language used on bf2s in those days was, erm, something short of gentlemanly.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6686
oh this the bf2s discord lmao, i must go have a looksie.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6654|United States of America
Literally just the embodiment of this old comic
https://i.imgur.com/TalVwuy.jpg
uziq
+492|3422

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Bf2s is one of those caves in the south pacific that houses 4 Japanese soldiers who still think WW2 is going on.
this video literally covers the whole recent discussion.

isolated japanese on islands.
asian ageing.

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Bf2s is one of those caves in the south pacific that houses 4 Japanese soldiers who know WW2 is over but have decided to continue eating bugs and licking the walls for water indefinitely.
Fixed

Your analogies are as bad as uziq's reading comprehension.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
That guy who made the Nicolas Cruz interrogation video finally released a new one. It's a masterpiece

https://youtu.be/ThUc_Xjc0Ss
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Ugh, not more old white Americans going on about Irish this or that. After attacking his family with a knife, very mournful about how he's going to lose all his business and all his stuff. Somewhere, a viewer is probably nodding and going "ya brother, the government drives ya to the breaking point!"
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
The story is a disaster zone. Poor lady also got put on blast for being a stripper at one point. As if getting stabbed to death wasn't enough.

Anyhow there is a other YouTube channel that started to put out "never before seen interrogation videos" with analysis. Stories I never heard of and videos nobody else had.

I suspect they are getting the videos through Freedom of Information act request?
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

More than once, I think? Didn't he keep going back to her being a stripper around the parts where he was having dark thoughts about that one social worker (?) woman? I think he could be out in less than 30 years. Can't be a good feeling for the social worker woman knowing there's this guy, who told police he was going to cut you to pieces, who the justice system will squirt out at some point in the future.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
They are never giving that guy parole. He also seems like the kind of guy to take the easy way out.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

I don't think he has a life sentence. Could be wrong on that though.

It's really eerie how dime a dozen that demeanor is.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard